PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering for Danica?

sanguin
4th September 2007, 13:45
Just wondering how the IRL fans feel about Danica getting an unfair advantage-

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/39953/

Patrick and Manning signed confidentiality agreements and could not comment on the mechanical assist with, technically, allows varying gaps between the teeth in the steering rack.

According to several engineers and mechanics, this device not only allows the car to turn a little easier but it also lets a team run more castor in the car which reduces understeer and, more importantly, gives the car more front bite.

"It's definitely an advantage," said one IRL driver who asked for anonymity. "I've got no problem with Danica or Darren having it, I just think we should all have the same opportunity."

beachbum
4th September 2007, 14:12
Other forums where IRL fans actually post have discussed this topic in detail. But very few IRL fans post here anymore, so expect a lot of CC fans to gloat all over this as some example of a failure of the IRL. Most IRL fans are very tired of the bashing on this forum, so they have left. Have at it.

LotusElise
4th September 2007, 14:53

It's not just Danica though, is it?
However, we can't miss up on an opportunity to bash Danica, can we...

Mark in Oshawa
4th September 2007, 16:54
Other forums where IRL fans actually post have discussed this topic in detail. But very few IRL fans post here anymore, so expect a lot of CC fans to gloat all over this as some example of a failure of the IRL. Most IRL fans are very tired of the bashing on this forum, so they have left. Have at it.

I am a Champ Car fan who also watches IRL events, and I think there is nothing wrong with this little advantage of all teams are allowed to do the same. I would say it was Mickey Mouse if Manning and Patrick were the only ones allowed to have it.

Beachbum, calm down...sometimes a smoke is just a smoke eh?

beachbum
4th September 2007, 19:32
I am a Champ Car fan who also watches IRL events, and I think there is nothing wrong with this little advantage of all teams are allowed to do the same. I would say it was Mickey Mouse if Manning and Patrick were the only ones allowed to have it.

Beachbum, calm down...sometimes a smoke is just a smoke eh?
Gee, I am hardly wound up about it. I happen to share your opinion. What is odd is why a poster with an obvious agenda on other forums starts a thread about an "unfair advantage". Sometimes people pump the old bellows on a wisp of smoke hoping to stoke up a fire. Most of the IRL fans left this building a long time ago so the "discussion" here, if there is one, is likely to be a bit one sided.

Old3Fan
4th September 2007, 20:21
[quote="sanguin"]Just wondering how the IRL fans feel about Danica getting an unfair advantage-

If everyone gets it, fine. if they don't then its TG BS. And IMO Danica will not get a win unless Dario, Tony, Dixon, Weldon, Hornish and Helio to name the main top of the list drivers all retire and the 2nd tier where Danica is move on up.

ChicagocrewIRL
4th September 2007, 21:31

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/39953/

Is that you RGM Fan ???? Welcome back to the forum.

sanguin
4th September 2007, 21:54

If everyone gets it, fine. if they don't then its TG BS. And IMO Danica will not get a win unless Dario, Tony, Dixon, Weldon, Hornish and Helio to name the main top of the list drivers all retire and the 2nd tier where Danica is move on up.

I agree. If Danica is getting this to help her win and the other drivers aren't,that would be a bogus win.How could anyone take IRL racing serious again?

Why the signed confidentiality agreements?

:thumbsdown:

jso1985
4th September 2007, 23:12
why Manning? :s

I think either gets it or noone then, otherwise it gets kinda unfair

Cass
5th September 2007, 22:39
I can't beleive how quiet everyone is on this subject. I mean come on.....this was the league working with Dallara, to provide certain people an advantage under the guise of "testing".

To keep it "fair", the league assigns this benefit to another lesser qualified/quality team so they can move up the grid. If this was to be a benefit to the series, or the drivers why was this not tested in an open session for all to participate? Why the confidentiality agreements between certain drivers, league, and Dallara.

The league does not have a weight equalization rule in effect, now its taking the effort to single out teams for "special testing duties" -------This is not providing a spec in a spec series......all teams are equal, just some more equal.

I found Robin Millers' dust it under the rug article on speed to be an insult.

Yup, ......we're all equal.....just some more equal than others.....You don't see "limited" product testing & assigned to teams being allowed in Atlantics, Star Mazda, FF, GP2, A1GP etc. If a test is a test, then its a test in a test environment. If I was a team owner there, I would go to Robert Clarke and Honda and say--look, I know you have spinner motors, so can we have one for the next race....because we can place farther up the grid, get more exposure and maybe land a new sponser. You can say it's testing a new engine for the league next year......and if its good for us, its good for all right. Oh, to protect the testing, give it to Panther too....you know - testing!"

Oh its a road course coming up....hey delphi....can you whip up a quick ABS system for us....you know...for testing for all.......

You want an improvement....do an open test to work on tunnels on the underbody of the car to reduce "airborne tendancies", or just open the steering rack up for teams to build there own ....or all get to use what Dallara creates. Its mandated cheating & approved by the IRL!

Easy Drifter
6th September 2007, 15:30
The 'assist' was not used by either team in the race. End of discussion.

indycool
6th September 2007, 17:13
It was also tested by an unnamed third team. The rest of the teams were offered to check it out and turned it down. It wasn't just given to a team to do an off-weekend test and get more testing time than the others. Pretty weak, sanguin.

sanguin
6th September 2007, 22:37
I can't beleive how quiet everyone is on this subject. I mean come on.....this was the league working with Dallara, to provide certain people an advantage under the guise of "testing".

To keep it "fair", the league assigns this benefit to another lesser qualified/quality team so they can move up the grid. If this was to be a benefit to the series, or the drivers why was this not tested in an open session for all to participate? Why the confidentiality agreements between certain drivers, league, and Dallara.

The league does not have a weight equalization rule in effect, now its taking the effort to single out teams for "special testing duties" -------This is not providing a spec in a spec series......all teams are equal, just some more equal.

I found Robin Millers' dust it under the rug article on speed to be an insult.

Yup, ......we're all equal.....just some more equal than others.....You don't see "limited" product testing & assigned to teams being allowed in Atlantics, Star Mazda, FF, GP2, A1GP etc. If a test is a test, then its a test in a test environment. If I was a team owner there, I would go to Robert Clarke and Honda and say--look, I know you have spinner motors, so can we have one for the next race....because we can place farther up the grid, get more exposure and maybe land a new sponser. You can say it's testing a new engine for the league next year......and if its good for us, its good for all right. Oh, to protect the testing, give it to Panther too....you know - testing!"

Oh its a road course coming up....hey delphi....can you whip up a quick ABS system for us....you know...for testing for all.......

You want an improvement....do an open test to work on tunnels on the underbody of the car to reduce "airborne tendancies", or just open the steering rack up for teams to build there own ....or all get to use what Dallara creates. Its mandated cheating & approved by the IRL!

I agree, and everytime someone suddenly starts to have a good race, there will always be that question," I wonder if they're testing something new that's giving them advantage?"

If Danica ever wins ,there will be that question.

indycool
6th September 2007, 22:39
I guess you will have that question, sanguin, out of yoiur own agenda. IMO, some of the rest of us will blow it off.

CCFan
6th September 2007, 22:56
It was also tested by an unnamed third team. The rest of the teams were offered to check it out and turned it down. It wasn't just given to a team to do an off-weekend test and get more testing time than the others. Pretty weak, sanguin.

The article that I read said that Manning & Patrick tested it at Infineon. I didn't see anything about all of the teams being offered the chance to test it.

If they were, then why the confidentiality agreement?

courageous
6th September 2007, 23:03
I totally understand why they would want to give the new system some serious milege & have no problem letting Foyt test it; but AGR are fighting for the championship!

Seem to recall a bit of anger in the F1 camp a few years ago when the FIA needed something new tested & they chose Ferrari to help.

In a spec series, get the little guy to be the first to recieve new parts (they do that in basketball after all).

Edit - CCFan's point about the confidentiality agreement is true legally (but since I do not know Danica & Dario personally, I can not say what they might discuss in private)

indycool
7th September 2007, 01:03
AGR is fighting for a championship, but not with Danica. If it's a semi-power steering-type thing, how could that benefit Dario or a contender if it wasn't on their cars?

Jag_Warrior
9th September 2007, 17:49
Why the need for a confidentiality agreement and the double talk about what it is? Were they afraid Nigel Stepney or Mike Coughlan might be in the paddock?

Rogelio
10th September 2007, 00:02
Although I am CC fan, I watched the Chicago race and that it was a very good race. Did Danica's "spin out" have an effect on Dixon running out of fuel? Or would Dixon have run out anyway?

I would have preferred to see an all out battle to the end, rather than a two lap race. I was glad to see Gnassi lose, but I honestly dislike Andretti just as much. And of course, it is nice to see Penske lose.

Regardless, congratulations Dario!

Rogelio
10th September 2007, 00:05
Although I am CC fan, I watched the Chicago race and I must say that it was a very good race. Another reason why CC needs ovals. Did Danica's "spin out" have an effect on Dixon running out of fuel? Or would Dixon have run out anyway?

I would have preferred to see an all out battle to the end, rather than a two lap race. I was glad to see Gnassi lose, but I honestly dislike Andretti just as much. And of course, it is nice to see Penske lose.

Regardless, congratulations Dario!

indycool
10th September 2007, 00:32
I would've thought that would've helped Dixon's fuel with a couple more laps of yellow because of it....of course, it helped Dario's too, for that matter.