PDA

View Full Version : Toyota are nuts

ioan
2nd September 2007, 14:59
So the one on top of their shopping list is Nakajima! :rolleyes:

but a team insider also explained that executives in Tokyo are keen to follow the example of McLaren/Lewis Hamilton by bringing on a young protege.

He has also been doing a credible job in GP2 this season.

"With the successes of Hamilton with McLaren, the youth principle has now drawn the attention of Japan," the insider said, referring to Nakajima. "And Kazuki is young and Japanese."

Sport Bild added that Kazuki's biggest competitor for the race seat is not 32-year-old Ralf Schumacher, but BMW-Sauber tester and GP2 championship leader Timo Glock.

They still can't understand that their car is the problem though!

Ranger
2nd September 2007, 15:35
The key words in that article were "Sport Bild added"...

But having said that, it sounds particularly feasible for Toyota.

ioan
2nd September 2007, 15:57
The key words in that article were "Sport Bild added"...

But having said that, it sounds particularly feasible for Toyota.

And what's the problem with "Sport Bild"?

Jimmy Magnusson
2nd September 2007, 16:00
Kazuki has looked quite promising in GP2 at times, but it would IMO be a dumb move to put him in a F1 seat next year. Just look at the sprint race in Turkey and you'll understand why he needs at least one more year in GP2.

markabilly
2nd September 2007, 16:08
NOT nuts at ALL

they just need to go further in

following the very brilliant Red Cow strategy, they need to go "double rookie"

Why?
1) If the driver goes fast, it is because of the great car provided as demoed by Mac
2) If the drivers go slow, then it is because of those useless drivers......

3) What is nuts, is hiring a driver like RS, JB or RB--drivers who have demonstrated an ability to run at or very near the top, and HAVE ACTUALLY WON RACES when cars have been capable....

oh yeah, to save face the company can claim the problem is that these guys just suddenly lost their touch, that just does not sell as well as the fact the lousy engineering/design/management of two large car companies is responsible

tinchote
2nd September 2007, 17:56
NOT nuts at ALL

they just need to go further in

following the very brilliant Red Cow strategy, they need to go "double rookie"

Why?
1) If the driver goes fast, it is because of the great car provided as demoed by Mac
2) If the drivers go slow, then it is because of those useless drivers......

3) What is nuts, is hiring a driver like RS, JB or RB--drivers who have demonstrated an ability to run at or very near the top, and HAVE ACTUALLY WON RACES when cars have been capable....

oh yeah, to save face the company can claim the problem is that these guys just suddenly lost their touch, that just does not sell as well as the fact the lousy engineering/design/management of two large car companies is responsible

The way I see it, they have already tried everything: McNish and Salo (their original test drivers) for the first season, then a mixture with Da Matta and Panis for two seasons (with some Zonta in between), and then the current line up with Trulli and Schumacher.

The only way they can really go up the grid is, in my view, to do a serious re-shuffle of all their structure. This is unlikely to happen in a works team, because it's akin to recognizing failure.

markabilly
2nd September 2007, 18:38
The way I see it, they have already tried everything: McNish and Salo (their original test drivers) for the first season, then a mixture with Da Matta and Panis for two seasons (with some Zonta in between), and then the current line up with Trulli and Schumacher.

The only way they can really go up the grid is, in my view, to do a serious re-shuffle of all their structure. This is unlikely to happen in a works team, because it's akin to recognizing failure.

My point exactly--see when you got drivers with an established history of ACTAULLY WINNING (not just potentially winning or being in the opinion of some, as talented) and things do not go well, it is far more difficult to say "driver" and have everyone believe it, whereas the folks like speed, VL, and so forth....there is still a doubt as to what the problem is.

Why broadcast failure by getting the best available with a track record of wins...Honda has really got no where to hide, even from the most ignorant of the public who pays only a slight amount of attention......... :eek: Well they can brag that they beat bankrupt Spyker most of the time

jens
2nd September 2007, 19:23
I have started to like the prospect of seeing Glock next year at Toyota. He has proved himself basically everywhere (Champ Car, GP2) and has shown that he deserves a drive in F1. I have been impressed with Nakajima too, but I agree with those, who say that better give him one more year at GP2. At the moment he looks like a typical Japanese driver - quick, but needs to calm down. It looks like at least Sato has managed it after collecting F1 experience for many years. :p :

Probably Toyota is not rushing with decision until the court makes the final decision about McLaren. They have expressed interest in Alonso, although realistically speaking their chances of getting FA are practically zero. I don't know about Rosberg. Probably Toyota could hire him from Williams with a large amount of money, but I guess Nico might not be interested in driving for Toyota (and you can't put someone into the car if he doesn't want to - let's take a look at Buttongates) unless Toyota beats Williams convincingly, which is not happening.

Although I'm far from being against Ralf, I'm quite excited about the prospect of seeing a new driver instead of him next year at Toyota. I have thought about reasons for this wish. There are very few changes in driver line-ups for next year (Fer, BMW, Hon, SA, RB, McL all continue with the same drivers) and I'd like to see at least some changes for next year to spice things up. RS and JT have been partners for 3 years and in their battle it would be quite hard to find anything new. I personally find it indeed a bit boring to see JT and RS driving against each other for another season... Changes are needed to 'freshen' the life. :) Finally, I have some kind of concern that as Ralf's and Jarno's driving styles seem quite different, then their co-operation as team-mates might not work well enough. It looks like Toyota has always had trouble to construct a car that suits both drivers. TF105B and TF106 suited Ralf, whereas TF105 and probably TF107 has suited Jarno. Only with TF106B both drivers seemed to be reasonably competitive.

All in all, drivers' role is emphasized too strongly in Toyota's case. I guess it's clear it won't make basically any difference to the car, whoever drives alongside Jarno next year as change in the driver line-up would be only a cosmetic change. But I hope a strong driver will partner JT, so that it won't be down to the Italian to save the "honour of Toyota" if there is any honour to save of course...

Sleeper
2nd September 2007, 22:46
I thought Nakajima was being lined up to replace Wurz at Williams for next year, though he needs to calm down a bit in races.

Ranger
3rd September 2007, 08:23
And what's the problem with "Sport Bild"?

I was under the impression that they were pretty unreliable, from some sources on this forum...

Drew
3rd September 2007, 11:13
It could be worse, they could just go and find a cousin of Schumacher's and then just sign him hoping that he'll be good.

3rd September 2007, 17:50

Strangely enough, that is exactly what their former Technical Director was trying to do before he was shown the door.

Toyota have no one to blame but themselves for their spectacular under-achievements.