PDA

View Full Version : RIP Michael Jackson

Eki
31st August 2007, 16:23
The famous beer connoisseur and author Michael Jackson has died. I once saw him on TV and thought he had drunk too many beers, but then I heard he was suffering from Parkinson's disease that made him look drunk. I was really ashamed for having been so prejudiced. RIP, Michael.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/200708300211945_uu.shtml

veeten
31st August 2007, 18:26
not the singer,... okay.

Drew
31st August 2007, 20:17
Clever Eki, clever. How long have you been waiting for somebody with the same name as a famous person to die?

Eki
31st August 2007, 20:45
Clever Eki, clever. How long have you been waiting for somebody with the same name as a famous person to die?
Michael Jackson, the writer, was rather famous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_(writer)

Michael Jackson (27 March 1942–30 August 2007) was an English writer and journalist. He was the author of several books about beer and whisky.

Michael Jackson became famous in beer circles in 1977 when his book, The World Guide To Beer, was published. This was later translated into more than ten languages and is still considered to be one of the most fundamental books on the subject. In this book, he started to create the current classification system for beers: top yeast (ale) and bottom yeast (lager). This had an special influence on the popularization of brewing in North America. Later on Michael Jackson would host a popular show entitled The Beer Hunter, which was sent on the Discovery Channel. He later appeared on both Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Late Show with David Letterman.

Jackson considered beer as a component of culture and described beers in their cultural context. Although he travelled around the world and discovered different beer cultures, he was especially fond of the Belgian beers. He was appointed to an honorary officer of the Ridderschap van de Roerstok in 1997 for his important contribution to the international success of the Belgian beers. This honor had previously only been given to brewers. In 1998, Jackson brought forth his own line of beer glassware.

Michael Jackson was also an important reviewer of whiskies. In his book The Malt Whisky Companion, he reviewed and gave marks from 0—100 to a large number of whiskies. Only those with a score above seventy-five were worth purchasing according to him.

Apart from his writings, he was also a great fan of rugby.

It was revealed in December 2006 that Michael Jackson "is and has been suffering for at least a decade from Parkinson's Disease." [1] Michael Jackson died in his home the morning of August 30, 2007 at the age of 65.[2]

Camelopard
31st August 2007, 23:19
He had a series on TV called The Beer Hunter, which was quite funny, if you ever get to see any of the episodes take the time to have a look.
Anyway I'm sorry he has died, I enjoyed reading his reviews, RIP Michael.

Erki
1st September 2007, 20:29
I remember a Richard Petty also died a few months ago.

RaikkonenRules
3rd September 2007, 20:59
lol another sneaky thread by Eki :p :

Thor
4th September 2007, 21:32
not the singer,... okay.

Thats just his nose,what is dead