PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout those TV ratings!

ms0362
30th August 2007, 18:54
Not including all the rain delays, it looks like the ratings are down from last year and way down from '05 on almost every race. I have my opinions as to why, how about everyone else?

http://www.jayski.com/pages/tvratings2007.htm

harvick#1
30th August 2007, 18:56
I know why :p :

its too easy

bad racing and horrible TV coverage

Lee Roy
30th August 2007, 19:02
After so many years of increased ratings, we're finally getting some "correction" of the true demand.

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 06:05
Change: Too much change: the entry of Toyota; COT; Foreign Drivers; Dumping of traditional tracks..all in a relatively short period.One theory I heard with the influx of "Foreign" drivers is that is ok as long as they do not win. I think a few "foreign" drivers have not read that part of the contract.

ShiftingGears
31st August 2007, 06:32
Change: Too much change: the entry of Toyota; COT; Foreign Drivers; Dumping of traditional tracks..all in a relatively short period.One theory I heard with the influx of "Foreign" drivers is that is ok as long as they do not win. I think a few "foreign" drivers have not read that part of the contract.

Don't you think that their on-track actions could impact on a drivers popularity, moreso than their nationality?
For instance - do you think that if a foreign driver came into NASCAR and was as spectacular and fantastic as Dale Earnhardt, he would not be immensely popular?

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 10:59
For instance - do you think that if a foreign driver came into NASCAR and was as spectacular and fantastic as Dale Earnhardt, he would not be immensely popular?

Imagine Jacques Villeuneuve (French Canadian, but French to people who do not know), lets us say blitzing them in NASCAR. Was he given "the nod"?(I have heard this already in relation to Montoya); He is the complete antithesis of a NASCAR racer, European roadracer, French, lives in Monaco,is NASCAR really easy if he is doing well?.; Will NASCAR start to become like CART?, what happened to the "All American Sport"? I would say some fans and commentators will think like that, how many who knows.(think of the aggressive Montoya comments) Personally Jacques progress will be interesting to watch.

Lee Roy
31st August 2007, 11:04
Robert, I see why I had you on my ignore list for so long. I think I'm adding you back onto it.

What a load of stereotyping garbage.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
31st August 2007, 12:04
I think the main reason ticket sales and tv ratings are down is because Jr isnt winner. I believe when Jr starts to win and has a championship run the figures will rise. You cant have your sports biggest star not winning so all the fake fans have quickly got bored and buggered off.

I also dont thinks its the "influx of Foreign drivers" but the influx of boring american drivers (not all but most). The days of the good ol boys from NC are going. which in opinion is shame. we need colourful people with personality not pretty boy well spoken robots..

trumperZ06
31st August 2007, 16:37
;) if memory serves... Kyle Petty said it best...

NA$CAR being on T V every weekend... fans simply lose interest.

The "newness" has worn off... people also have families and many other things to do with their time.

BobbyC
31st August 2007, 16:57
Also this year after Dover, we are in 12 consecutive races on cable, where ratings are assured of dropping versus their network counterparts. Also in play is the sampling of the VNU/Nielsen families. Some of those are changed every year as part of their sampling of the ratings.

After Sunday's Western 500, the remaining 11 races are on the ESPN Broadcast Network.

blakebeatty
31st August 2007, 17:57
I think NASCAR cup race broadcasts are typically the highest rated broadcast of the day when they are on too, so perhaps, just not as many people are watching tv

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 19:52
People have better things to do than watch TV most Sunday afternoons in the summer, and I think NASCAR's ratings success was more due to a curiousity factor and a "cool" factor that has maybe worn out a little. Still good numbers though. What is more disconcerting is the empty seats that are often seen at some of the Cup Venues. I do think they have overbuilt many of the stands at venues and now that the demand is lessening, people don't have NASCAR as a "Must see" on their list.

As for your comments Mr. Ryan, I would hope Americans woudln't be so xenophobic towards "foreign" race drivers, but I do think there are some conspiracy nuts out there that might take things the wrong way. That said, NASCAR is talking about world wide growth, so America, get ready for the foreign drivers coming to NASCAR. I am shocked it didn't happen 15 years ago to be honest.....

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 21:07
As for your comments Mr. Ryan, I would hope Americans woudln't be so xenophobic towards "foreign" race drivers, but I do think there are some conspiracy nuts out there that might take things the wrong way.
Mark, it is not that hard to find on the net
[quote]Robert, I see why I had you on my ignore list for so long. I think I'm adding you back onto it.

What a load of stereotyping garbage[/quote.]
Lee Roy, these criticisms are coming from behind the scenes in NASCAR itself..not something I am generating. Well Lee Roy, I am fascinated to learn what you think is the reason?

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 21:20
Robert, I see why I had you on my ignore list for so long. I think I'm adding you back onto it.

What a load of stereotyping garbage
Lee Roy, these criticisms are coming from behind the scenes in NASCAR itself..not something I am generating. Well Lee Roy, I am fascinated to learn what you think is the reason? Look at Ed Hinton a "exenophobic" American writer for the Orlando Sentinel, the same reasons for the deline of NASCAR, that I pointed out plus a few more.

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 21:29
That said, NASCAR is talking about world wide growth, so America, get ready for the foreign drivers coming to NASCAR. I am shocked it didn't happen 15 years ago to be honest
Mark it was two way street 15yrs ago. NASCAR was not looking for overseas drivers and they were not looking at NASCAR.

People have better things to do than watch TV most Sunday afternoons in the summer, and I think NASCAR's ratings success was more due to a curiousity factor and a "cool" factor that has maybe worn out a little. Still good numbers though
I think it was more than that, the sweeping changes have definitely had an impact. Remember NASCAR is about tradition, too many changes are not good.

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 21:32
After so many years of increased ratings, we're finally getting some "correction" of the true demand.

Why?

trumperZ06
31st August 2007, 21:41
Imagine Jacques Villeuneuve (French Canadian, but French to people who do not know), lets us say blitzing them in NASCAR. Was he given "the nod"?(I have heard this already in relation to Montoya); He is the complete antithesis of a NASCAR racer, European roadracer, French, lives in Monaco,is NASCAR really easy if he is doing well?.; Will NASCAR start to become like CART?, what happened to the "All American Sport"? I would say some fans and commentators will think like that, how many who knows.(think of the aggressive Montoya comments) Personally Jacques progress will be interesting to watch.

:D Gosh... NA$CAR wanted JPM in Nextel Cup...

Juan Pablo opens up a whole new Latin American Market to Family France.

Think of all those wonderful Pesos coming in from:

Mexico, Central, and South America.

You open the doors to new sponsors, TV rights, etc. &... !!!!

JV... if he's successful... brings Canadian fans as well.

All that Wonderful... MONEY... and Brian can sit back and watch Helton and his cronies count it !!!

;) I think NA$CAR will "limit"... how many/from where... foreign drivers are allowed in.

But remember... it's all about the... M O N E Y !!!

Robert Ryan
31st August 2007, 21:55
think NA$CAR will "limit"... how many/from where... foreign drivers are allowed in.

But remember... it's all about the... M O N E Y !!!
Agreed. This experiment is NOT working for NASCAR, those markets remain unmoved especially the Latin American ones.(Although as Mark would agree there is already a substantial following for NASCAR in Canada)

Sparky1329
1st September 2007, 01:38
The novelty of NASCAR following the death of Dale Earnhardt has worn off. The average non race fan had no clue what NASCAR was all about. When Dale's death hit the front pages of all major publications and the headlines of the sports channels people paid attention. It was trendy. It isn't anymore.

Robert Ryan
1st September 2007, 01:48
The novelty of NASCAR following the death of Dale Earnhardt has worn off. The average non race fan had no clue what NASCAR was all about
Other factors that I have mentioned are putting off , some traditional followers of the sport.

Sparky1329
1st September 2007, 04:58
Other factors that I have mentioned are putting off , some traditional followers of the sport.

I think that's definitely part of it.

ms0362
5th September 2007, 19:14
TV ratings are one thing,,,,but wow I guess the folks at California didn't want to stand the heat. There were tons of open seats at the cup race. Now...why did we take the Labor Day Race from Darlington? Penske needs to do some work in getting those stands filled.

BobbyC
5th September 2007, 19:34
The other issue: We've had 12 consecutive weeks on cable. In those twelve weeks, Champ Car, ALMS, IRL, and even F1 and MotoGP have made network television appearances.

Advertisers have tilted towards those series when they have network broadcasts against NASCAR on cable.

Alexamateo
5th September 2007, 20:48
Penske needs to do some work in getting those stands filled.

FYI Penske sold his interests in Fontana to ISC. Some would say that that's why customer service and attendance are down from where they once were.

willracefan
6th September 2007, 01:11
in my opinion heres why the ratings are down:

jimmie johnson overload.

return of jeff gordon overload.

juan pablo montoya trying unsuccessfully to be the next dale sr.

lesser performances by drivers like harvick, kahne, and kenseth. imo they were putting nascar on the map of a younger direction. i guess add the shrub as well.

call_me_andrew
6th September 2007, 07:32
CORRECTED:

FYI Penske sold all of his tracks to ISC. Some would say that that's why customer service and attendance are down from where they once were.

ms0362
6th September 2007, 18:46
FYI Penske sold his interests in Fontana to ISC. Some would say that that's why customer service and attendance are down from where they once were.

Your right. I forgot about that.

DavePI2
7th September 2007, 01:51
lets face it , there are fads , they last awile and the allure starts to die. Nascar had it's day. It is still popular beyond the dreams of people ten years ago, but it is more the hard core fans now and the rich and famous that nascar has been trying to market too have started to leave. MMA is the popular sport now that is growing by leaps and bounds, it will come back to earth also. I wouldn't worry about empty seats at tracks like fontana, especially when a very nice crowd turned up for a tuesday morning race in Michigan. Those of us who came from ohio for that race had to drive through a flood go get there. Now attendence at tracks like atlanta, someone else will have to come up with an exsplanation for that. I suspect though some of that might be due to a lukewarm at best economy and with as many races as nascar runs there is only so many races the working man can afford to go too, especially if he is already laid off or afraid of being laid off. Nascar has been able to get at least one new fan, myself. Before Michigan I wasn't one to watch, I had a very good time though at a very entertaining race.

David

Robert Ryan
8th September 2007, 23:17
I suspect though some of that might be due to a lukewarm at best economy and with as many races as nascar runs there is only so many races the working man can afford
Other factors that are having an impact the slowdown in the US economy and available money for Sports such as NASCAR.Does not explain the falling TV ratings , which are the other factors I mentioned before.