PDA

View Full Version : safety teams

ukparamedic
30th August 2007, 12:24
hi all,

i'm after getting in touch with america oval safety crew members. have tried to do web search but cant find a thing. if any knows or is a member of such a team please get in touch with me.

i work at rockingham motor speedway corby england uk

cheers

BenRoethig
30th August 2007, 12:27
hi all,

i'm after getting in touch with america oval safety crew members. have tried to do web search but cant find a thing. if any knows or is a member of such a team please get in touch with me.

i work at rockingham motor speedway corby england uk

cheers

Each track has their own safety unit.

ukparamedic
30th August 2007, 12:37
thanks for that. i've been told there is a core safety team. would be happy to hear from any member of any safety team

BenRoethig
30th August 2007, 13:28
Both Champ car and the IRL have sponsored traveling safety teams. NASCAR relies on the judgement of local professionals who know their tracks.

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 05:28
Both Champ car and the IRL have sponsored traveling safety teams. NASCAR relies on the judgement of local professionals who know their tracks.

That is something that the drivers complain very quietly about. They cant understand how the almost broke CCWS, the IRL and ALMS can all have their own safety teams, and yet NASCAR relies on the track owners for the safety. Jeff Burton I know for a fact has spoken out about this. I think there are arguments for both ways of doing things, but the attitude in NASCAR is often a case of "if we didn't invent it, we don't want it." Their reluctance to adopt the HANS device and softwall technology ended after we lost Earnhardt. I hope like hell no one is ever harmed because a local track safety unit has an issue.....

ukparamedic
31st August 2007, 15:03
i didnt realise there were problems with the motor sport in the USA hopefully its something you can sort out.

if any one belongs to a safety team what ever track or campionship they are covering please get in touch

BobbyC
31st August 2007, 17:06
Even if NASCAR worked on a unified safety team, it would be a danger on stress and travel. The NHRA's Safety Safari actually has multiple teams, all using the same name, and working different regions. One Safety Safari may work one NHRA region, and another works another NHRA region. For races in the West Coast, they don't use the same safety workers as they would for a Midwest race, or even East race.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2007/06/30/ddn063007nhra.html

Usually, the tracks work with safety teams, and they are usually the best of the local safety teams who work automobile collisions and short tracks. They are on the scene every day in their local regions, and know the track, the way to the hospital, and other important communications.

Each safety team must attend a NASCAR meeting in the weeks leading to the race and are trained properly.

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 20:10
Bobby, I feel they are trained properly, but it seems odd NASCAR is the only series that wont put out a permanent cadre of experts who know the drivers to work on track at every venue, or at least, a rotation of maybe 3 teams to cover all 38 events NASCAR runs each year in Cup. I think it is hard for many to understand this, but I must admit, the track's do have a good crew of people working for them. That said, NASCAR has the money, and they could easily use it for a sponsor opportunity to underwrite any costs of having a permanent crew.

I can see both sides of the argument, but when someone like Jeff Burton advocates for a team, you must take the driver's seriously. It is they who are putting their butts on the line week in, week out.

Sparky1329
1st September 2007, 01:42
NASCAR won't take the lead on a contracted safety team so they have no liability for anything that might go wrong.

tstran17_88
1st September 2007, 18:23
NASCAR won't take the lead on a contracted safety team so they have no liability for anything that might go wrong.I never thought of that. That would be a way for them to skirt any responsibility.

Lee Roy
1st September 2007, 18:40
NASCAR won't take the lead on a contracted safety team so they have no liability for anything that might go wrong.

But the France Family still could face liability as the majority owners of the Internaiontal Speedway Corporation tracks that half the races are run on.

Sparky1329
1st September 2007, 19:42
But the France Family still could face liability as the majority owners of the Internaiontal Speedway Corporation tracks that half the races are run on.

That's true but I can't think of any logical reason why NASCAR would continue to ignore the issue. NASCAR is reactive rather than proactive even though they deny it. Three racers lost their lives in the two years preceeding Dale Earnhardt's death but his death is what it took to get some serious action on the SAFER barriers.

tstran17_88
2nd September 2007, 15:06
Three racers lost their lives in the two years preceeding Dale Earnhardt's death but his death is what it took to get some serious action on the SAFER barriers.Hans device and the COT as well.

ms0362
5th September 2007, 19:10
Speaking of safety crews... I think the group at Fontana was a little slow and lacked some urgency in getting Waltrip out of his burning car.

call_me_andrew
6th September 2007, 07:20
I was more disturbed that he had to take off his helmet to get out of the car.

I also noticed that when Bowyer had that blown engine/spin/small fire at Bristol, he couldn't get the air hose off of his helmet with out taking off his gloves. If there was a fire in the cockpit and he had to take his gloves off, I'm sure he'd have some bad burns.

I know all the drivers have fire extinguishers in the cockpit, but only once have I heard of a driver with the frame of mind to use it.

call_me_andrew
6th September 2007, 22:52
Was that Bowyer or was that Hamlin?

ukparamedic
7th September 2007, 21:27
thanks you guys, but this is not helping me grt in to contact with members of safety crews.

please help