PDA

View Full Version : Kimi's lap..

Buzz Lightyear
27th August 2007, 16:50
Where did Kimi get this lap from... nobody else was even close, on lap 57.

1 RAI 1:27.295 57
2 MAS 1:27.922 18
3 RAI 1:27.941 15
4 MAS 1:27.958 41
5 HAM 1:27.963 17
6 HAM 1:27.968 19
7 MAS 1:27.971 17
8 RAI 1:27.987 17
9 ALO 1:28.070 39
10 MAS 1:28.081 40

schmenke
27th August 2007, 16:55
I can only imagine that he was just demonstrating the potential of his car in the closing stages of the race. I'm sure that Massa could have done a similar lap time.

janneppi
27th August 2007, 17:24
Kimi often does a fast lap in the end, he said it wasn't a 100% lap because he didn't want to risk the race.
If the Finnish press is right, he asked who had the fastest lap, after he heard it was Massa's, he pushed a bit. :)

jas123f1
27th August 2007, 18:34
Kimi often does a fast lap in the end, he said it wasn't a 100% lap because he didn't want to risk the race.
If the Finnish press is right, he asked who had the fastest lap, after he heard it was Massa's, he pushed a bit. :)

That’s what I’m thinking too – he was a bit upset because the team was keeping Massa on track on the both pitstops and didn’t give him any chance to win the race.
Maybe he thinks that - "it's fanny - when he has a car and everything works - then the team goes against him?? They didn’t give him a smallest chance.

It leads also my thoughts to the old time races - with Schumi and all his help drivers.. what a pity .. I didn’t believe that Ferrari should make it against Kimi .. but they did .. so now I know.. I must admit I don't love Ferrari too much after that.. and there is also one more serious side of it - it kills the F1 as sport. :hmh: :)

GP-M3
27th August 2007, 18:42
I'm a Kimi Fan but I didn't think 'they went against him'. It seemed to me Ferarri just played it as it came. Unfortunately Massa beat Kimi in qualifying (Kimi made a mistake actually) AND Massa had an extra lap of fuel, so that was it. Since Massa was in front, they didn't blatently say move over, they just let them race.

Kimi seems to have a really good attitutude towards that. Saying if it is your teammate in front usually he stays there. Fernando and Lewis show how not to do it.

That’s what I’m thinking too – he was a bit upset because the team was keeping Massa on track on the both pitstops and didn’t give him any chance to win the race.
Maybe he thinks that - "it's fanny - when he has a car and everything works - then the team goes against him?? They didn’t give him a smallest chance.

It leads also my thoughts to the old time races - with Schumi and all his help drivers.. what a pity .. I didn’t believe that Ferrari should make it against Kimi .. but they did .. so now I know.. I must admit I don't love Ferrari too much after that.. and there is also one more serious side of it - it kills the F1 as sport. :hmh: :)

tinchote
27th August 2007, 18:44

Yeah, you are so right, Ferrari has its highest paid driver ahead of its other driver in the WDC, and decides to favour the driver with the smallest salary and the least points :rolleyes:

jas123f1
27th August 2007, 18:54
I'm a Kimi Fan but I didn't think 'they went against him'. It seemed to me Ferarri just played it as it came. Unfortunately Massa beat Kimi in qualifying (Kimi made a mistake actually) AND Massa had an extra lap of fuel, so that was it. Since Massa was in front, they didn't blatently say move over, they just let them race.

Kimi seems to have a really good attitutude towards that. Saying if it is your teammate in front usually he stays there. Fernando and Lewis show how not to do it.

I don't agree with that - it was the team who decided the result this time.

Kimi was not allowed to fight against Massa and wasn’t given any other chance either. Massa beat Kimi because of that – may be the result had been the same with a fair play too – but we never can know that .. :)

jas123f1
27th August 2007, 19:20
Yeah, you are so right, Ferrari has its highest paid driver ahead of its other driver in the WDC, and decides to favour the driver with the smallest salary and the least points :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don’t care of the salary or in this case of the points either.

But it’s not any idea to follow F1, if it’s teams which decides results – (and today there are only two team playing) and I think it’s pity also when a very talent driver is working hard and getting it in order at last and then his own team make it impossible for him.. instead

I just don't like .. that simple it is.. :)

Juppe
27th August 2007, 19:44
Honestly, I don’t care of the salary or in this case of the points either.

But it’s not any idea to follow F1, if it’s teams which decides results – (and today there are only two team playing) and I think it’s pity also when a very talent driver is working hard and getting it in order at last and then his own team make it impossible for him.. instead

I just don't like .. that simple it is.. :)

Get over it man!

I am a Kimi fan as well, but you are pushing it.

Kimi had the speed to win, but blew it in the quali. He himself admitted it was the case fair and square - so he isn't complaining, why should you.

From Ferrari's part the most sensible thing was to freeze the situation after the second pitstops, when nobody was near enough to bother them. They probably had agreed beforehand, that should the situation arise - keep the positions.

Kimi let Massa to have a few seconds gap after the second pitstops, although he clearly could have pushed Massa. He was supposed to not to and he obeyed the orders.

Massa did a great job, deserved his win and leads Kimi in the championship.

Massa clearly enjoyes the track, cause he beat Michael here last year with more sizable margin than Kimi this year, so this really is Massa's track.

I doubt that either of them challenge for the WDC this year, but miracles happen sometimes and McLaren is known to make mistakes under pressure as well - so let's wait.

jas123f1
27th August 2007, 20:06
Get over it man!

I am a Kimi fan as well, but you are pushing it.

Kimi had the speed to win, but blew it in the quali. He himself admitted it was the case fair and square - so he isn't complaining, why should you.

From Ferrari's part the most sensible thing was to freeze the situation after the second pitstops, when nobody was near enough to bother them. They probably had agreed beforehand, that should the situation arise - keep the positions.

Kimi let Massa to have a few seconds gap after the second pitstops, although he clearly could have pushed Massa. He was supposed to not to and he obeyed the orders.

Massa did a great job, deserved his win and leads Kimi in the championship.

Massa clearly enjoyes the track, cause he beat Michael here last year with more sizable margin than Kimi this year, so this really is Massa's track.

I doubt that either of them challenge for the WDC this year, but miracles happen sometimes and McLaren is known to make mistakes under pressure as well - so let's wait.

It wasn't fair - and Kimi knows it.
But what can he say? It was a team decision .. and the winner was decided when the team made the strategy for pitstops - that’s it ..

And as one of F1 - spectators I don’t like it..

I hope Ferrari think more carefully how to do their decisions in future. :)

Ok - I can stop to complaining - this time..
But it wasn't fai.. ok I can stop .. :)

jens
27th August 2007, 20:17
It wasn't fair - and Kimi knows it.
But what can he say? It was a team decision .. and the winner was decided when the team made the strategy for pitstops - that’s it ..

And as one of F1 - spectators I don’t like it..

I hope Ferrari think more carefully how to do their decisions in future. :)

Ok - I can stop to complaining - this time..
But it wasn't fai.. ok I can stop .. :)

I guess that if Räikkönen won a race with Massa trailing him for the whole race, then you wouldn't be complaining and talking about "decisions against spectators". But what is that "more careful" decision supposed to be in the future? Give more fuel for Kimi in Q3? :p :

Oh damn. You just promised to stop complaining and I just asked another question. :crazy: Forgive me! :p :

GP-M3
27th August 2007, 20:38
Oh damn. You just promised to stop complaining and I just asked another question. :crazy: Forgive me! :p :

I was thinking that same thing as I read the first paragraph. Glad you caught this! :-)

wmcot
27th August 2007, 20:52
I don't see a problem. If the drivers had been in opposite positions, the same strategy would be followed. Even Kimi admits that you can't overtake in F1 these days (at least at the front) so what would be the point in catching and pressuring your teammate into possibly making a mistake that would take both of you out? How would it look if Kimi had caught Massa and tried to overtake but took both cars out? There is too much at stake to have teammates fighting each other when they are running 1-2.

schmenke
27th August 2007, 21:41
It wasn't fair - and Kimi knows it...

How is making a mistake in quals "not fair"? :s

wmcot
27th August 2007, 21:54
I don't agree with that - it was the team who decided the result this time.

Kimi was not allowed to fight against Massa and wasn’t given any other chance either. Massa beat Kimi because of that – may be the result had been the same with a fair play too – but we never can know that .. :)

What would you suggest that the team should have done differently?

jso1985
28th August 2007, 01:07
How is making a mistake in quals "not fair"? :s

good question!...

Kimi had the chance, Massa drove better, I don't the need of a discussion about that

leopard
28th August 2007, 05:47
It is a surprise on talk that Massa won in Turkey for the team's help.

It has no reason the team for doing so considering he has less point, he got it on account of his own effort.

If this is true that Ferrari helped Massa to win, they are completely a confusing team. No chance at all for title.

jas123f1
28th August 2007, 09:26
What would you suggest that the team should have done differently?

If both drivers had taken a pitstop first – then it had been fair, as they did it now was it decided already a day before that Massa will win the race.

I don’t like it – but it’s only my opinion. :)

Hawkmoon
28th August 2007, 11:51
If both drivers had taken a pitstop first – then it had been fair, as they did it now was it decided already a day before that Massa will win the race.

I don’t like it – but it’s only my opinion. :)

Mate, your theory is very wide of the mark.

Ferrari gave Kimi the advantage in qualifying, not Massa. By having less fuel, even 1 lap less, Kimi should have qualified ahead of Massa. He made a mistake and blew his chance, something that he freely admits.

If Kimi gets the pole, he wins the race. I'm pretty confident in suggesting that he would've built up a big enough gap so that Massa's extra lap wouldn't have made a difference.

Flat.tyres
28th August 2007, 12:05
Mate, your theory is very wide of the mark.

Ferrari gave Kimi the advantage in qualifying, not Massa. By having less fuel, even 1 lap less, Kimi should have qualified ahead of Massa. He made a mistake and blew his chance, something that he freely admits.

If Kimi gets the pole, he wins the race. I'm pretty confident in suggesting that he would've built up a big enough gap so that Massa's extra lap wouldn't have made a difference.

Correct.

The only thing Kimi could have tried was to race a different race program to try and conserve 1 lap of fuel on the first stint and 1 on the second thus allowing him to come in 1 lap after Massa.

Looking at the ultimate performance of the Ferrari, coupled with the fact that Kimi wasnt pushing Massa, plus they weren't dropping Lewis which you would suggest they could looking at Kimi's ultimate pace, plus the little game that Ferrari seemed to be playing in the pit, you have to ask whether Kimi tried this and Massa's crew cottoned on and did the same.

I think the only cars that were racing for the win on Sunday were Ferrari and the crews were really fighting a true battle against each other.

Juppe
28th August 2007, 13:37

I think the only cars that were racing for the win on Sunday were Ferrari and the crews were really fighting a true battle against each other.

Yes, and it was very easy to Massa's crew to decide how much to take fuel, when they first saw Kimi fuel. I almost hoped they got it wrong, but they didn't.

Flat.tyres
28th August 2007, 13:44
Yes, and it was very easy to Massa's crew to decide how much to take fuel, when they first saw Kimi fuel. I almost hoped they got it wrong, but they didn't.

Agreed.

It's a bit of a shame when the whole GP, barring blown tyres ;) is dictated 24 hours before the start of the race.

Kimi's mistake cost him the win but had he not have cocked it up.

jas123f1
28th August 2007, 15:33

Yeh - it isn't fair either :D but i forgive you .. :andrea:

fandango
29th August 2007, 09:29
I have always thought Kimi is over-rated, and he just confirms it again and again. He's very fast, but it's not much use being fast on lap 57 when you should have been fast in Q3. He just doesn't have the mental strength to be champion imo.

If he had maintained close contact with Massa all the way through the last part of the race, without breaking the team's rules/requests/instructions, he could have shown Massa that but for his mistake in Q3 Kimi would be winning. This would serve to plant a little fear/doubt in Massa's mind at the next Q3, and would also let his squad in the team know that he's trying to eliminate his "off" days, to show he's working for them. Kimi loses interest too easily.

leopard
29th August 2007, 10:57
The hardest part of the race is how to beat our own ego and maximize it as a power. I see neither current Ferrari drivers have that mental strength as Schumi, although we can't deny that both of them are fast.
Once they found something isn't in line with what they want or expected, they tend to lose interest on fighting easily.
I can't help admitting Alonso's spirit earns praise which keep on fire amid favoritism issue on Hamilton.

ArrowsFA1
30th August 2007, 13:20
If he had maintained close contact with Massa all the way through the last part of the race, without breaking the team's rules/requests/instructions, he could have shown Massa that but for his mistake in Q3 Kimi would be winning.
Yes he could, but by doing so he may have run the risk of rising temperatures by sitting in Massa's slipstream. The slightest mistake by either driver in that situation may also have meant 0 points for Ferrari.

wmcot
31st August 2007, 07:45
Agreed.

It's a bit of a shame when the whole GP, barring blown tyres ;) is dictated 24 hours before the start of the race.

Kimi's mistake cost him the win but had he not have cocked it up.

I have to agree with you, but I think it's really strange how we have come to accept that a minor "glitch" that costs only small fractions of a second can be called a big mistake. It just seems funny that when we see a driver a tenth or so off, he really screwed up! F1 is a strange sport at times!