PDA

View Full Version : McLaren team senior members should get a life

ioan
27th August 2007, 16:21
After every race they tell us how unfortunate they were during the race and how it could have been much better IF ...

"I think Ferrari were good here - they were strong. Overall I think we can say we were a little bit unfortunate to just miss out in qualifying.

"Perhaps our launch control wasn't good enough, but we were on the wrong side of the track and maybe we had the wrong tyres on as well. Those things played into it and Ferrari did a good solid job.

"It was pretty close between the two of us and in the end we didn't quite get them in qualifying. We made poor starts and then Fernando (Alonso) lost time behind BMW, and Lewis (Hamilton) got the puncture. We made it a bit too easy for them in the end."

"They were all pushing hard at that stage – and Lewis was running five laps longer. If he could have been within three seconds he could have got at least one of them at that final stop. With the puncture he had to come in early, lost that much time and had a damaged car too.

Ofcourse there is no way we can check if Lewis had 5 more laps worth of fuel. But for sure he didn't have 5 more laps worth of rubber on his tires.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61842

schmenke
27th August 2007, 16:58
Why should they "get a life"? :mark:
I see nothing wrong with those comments. They are merely providing a summary analysis of the race, meanwhile giving praise to Ferrari :mark:

tinchote
27th August 2007, 17:53
I see nothing wrong with those comments. They are merely providing a summary analysis of the race, meanwhile giving praise to Ferrari :mark:

Personally I understand Ioan's point of view, although it probably applies to all teams. Statements are so professionally PRed, these days, that it becomes really annoying. Little information, and conveyed in such a way that the team always stands as ok, and it is always external circumstances that make the lose. It is probably a necessary evil, but it still annoys me.

jas123f1
27th August 2007, 17:57
After every race they tell us how unfortunate they were during the race and how it could have been much better IF ...

Ofcourse there is no way we can check if Lewis had 5 more laps worth of fuel. But for sure he didn't have 5 more laps worth of rubber on his tires.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61842

It’s not impossible that Hamilton had fuel for 5 laps more - he had a long first stop, over 9 sec if I remember right. However lap 22/58 he was 7,7 sec behind Massa and probably was rather loosing time than closing the gap. Massa made his second stop lap 16/58..

That’s what I’m thinking of it..

Ian McC
27th August 2007, 18:17
although it probably applies to all teams.

Indeed, let's see what Todt had to say after Hungary

"We have all we need - the team, the car and the drivers - but we have not always been able to put them all together to the best effect. If we don't manage it, the championships will not be won."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61416

All teams are going to come out with things they could do better because there are always things they could improve on.

ioan
27th August 2007, 18:19

Each and every time when they lost this year they came out with comments how they could have won if... although it was clear that they didn't have had the pace to do it.

Compare RD's, MW's and NH's post race press releasses with those of J. Todt and you'll see what I mean.

I don't say that they have to say that they were crap, but that they could have won every time they lost?! :rolleyes:

ioan
27th August 2007, 18:21
Indeed, let's see what Todt had to say after Hungary

"We have all we need - the team, the car and the drivers - but we have not always been able to put them all together to the best effect. If we don't manage it, the championships will not be won."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61416

It's much more sensible than what MW said:

They were all pushing hard at that stage – and Lewis was running five laps longer. If he could have been within three seconds he could have got at least one of them at that final stop.

ArrowsFA1
27th August 2007, 18:50
It's much more sensible than what MW said
Why :confused: Because it's Todt saying it? :rolleyes:

Swap a few names around in the team press releases and you couldn't tell the difference between them from race to race.

GP-M3
27th August 2007, 19:01
I was thinking the same thing... every time a Mac looses RD says they were faster and could have won. He's full of it. I bet the effort to get him Knighted has fallen short since the Spy scandal. LOL

Each and every time when they lost this year they came out with comments how they could have won if... although it was clear that they didn't have had the pace to do it.

Compare RD's, MW's and NH's post race press releasses with those of J. Todt and you'll see what I mean.

I don't say that they have to say that they were crap, but that they could have won every time they lost?! :rolleyes:

wmcot
27th August 2007, 21:11
It's just typical PR spin to keep the sponsors and investors happy. Every team does some form of it. Even those finishing near the back will say things like, "we achieved all our expectations and learned a lot of useful information for the future."

Each team has a slightly different way of spinning their results. I don't pay any more attention to the post race statements than I do to the pre-race statements like, "our team really is looking forward to going to ______ (insert track name). We should do well there. Our drivers really like the course."

tinchote
27th August 2007, 22:35
It's just typical PR spin to keep the sponsors and investors happy. Every team does some form of it. Even those finishing near the back will say things like, "we achieved all our expectations and learned a lot of useful information for the future."

Each team has a slightly different way of spinning their results. I don't pay any more attention to the post race statements than I do to the pre-race statements like, "our team really is looking forward to going to ______ (insert track name). We should do well there. Our drivers really like the course."

It was particularly shocking yesterday, before the race, on Speed they showed and ad from one of Williams' sponsors. It showcased some technology, and ended up saying "this how Williams makes superfast cars". It felt kind of embarrassing :s

ioan
27th August 2007, 23:34
Why :confused: Because it's Todt saying it? :rolleyes:

Maybe because that's how it is?!

Swap a few names around in the team press releases and you couldn't tell the difference between them from race to race.

I could filter out those of McLaren even with closed eyes! They are so full of it! :cool:

Rollo
28th August 2007, 01:15
Can we test this then? Who said this and at which GP?

"The two ******** were fastest all weekend and we just never got to grips with the circuit. To come 3rd here was a good result and had ******** made a better pitstop he could have come 2nd.
Credit goes to ******** but we have some new aerodynamic parts for the next Grand Prix at ******** so we're always looking to improve."

I agree with Uncle Arrows here. Statements like these aren't inflammatory and don't really tell us anything, they could be from any GP.