PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Where would you go?

Jaws
27th August 2007, 00:57
Last night Mrs Jaws suggested I might need some time off alone to chill out. She suggested I take off for 2 or 3 weeks and get some relaxation. (I am hoping she has not taken a fancy to the postman).

So the question is. What would you do to unwind? Where would you go? I am thinking of grabbing a tent and going bush and living by a river or lake for a while. Any suggestions of what you would do?

Drew
27th August 2007, 01:17
If I had the money, I'd get the Siberian express from Moscow to Vladivostok :)

Road trip round Australia perhaps?

I think you should do something you'll remember, something that when you tell people you've done it, they'll say "wow, that's so cool" or "wow, you're so lucky, I've always wanted to do that" :)

CarlMetro
27th August 2007, 02:33
Nearest 24 hour bar :beer:

Jaws
27th August 2007, 02:52
Nearest 24 hour bar :beer:

Actually Carl, that is about the only condition Mrs Jaws has placed on this whole thing. I think she knows me pretty well hehehe :beer:

Camelopard
27th August 2007, 03:23
Your profile indicates that you are in Sydney, if so I'd be off to Vanuatu for a couple of weeks, some good deals for flights including accomodation at the moment. Very laid back place, it is in the south Pacific after all! It has a mixture of English and French history, some excellent restuarants, supermarkets where you can but just about anything available in Australia, New Zealand or France.
It is the safest 3rd world country I've ever been to (and I've been to a few over the years), no begging, no hassles, no crime, people are very friendly and are genuinely pleased to see you, need I go on?
Go fishing, diving, golfing or just eat and drink........

Flight is about 2 hours from Sydney

Roamy
27th August 2007, 06:05
Argentina - without question. I hear it is beautiful and the fly fishing is great regardless of which "rod" you use!!

Woodeye
27th August 2007, 07:29
Go to Lapland. I can guarentee that you are not able to find more beatiful place during the autumn than Finnish Lapland. Here's something to start with:

http://www.lapland.ws/lapland/english/matkailulappi/index.html

oily oaf
27th August 2007, 07:50
Go to your room son :mad:
But before you do, have you considered a fortnight in Zimbawe?
Yeah I know it's a bit of a trouble spot, ruled by a 22 carat, homicidal nutjob but I have it on very good authority that if you enter the country in a BBC newsman's tabbard with "Bob Mugabi Picks His Nose And Eats It" on the front and a large bullseye on the back you'll be as sweet as a nut :)
And don't forget to put your pants in the washing basket. I noticed last night that one pair had a crotch like a briefcase handle :mad:

schmenke
27th August 2007, 16:19
Hey Jaws, I figure a trip to this side of the world is just what you need :)

The missus and I were thinking of buggering off to Vegas for a couple weeks, so our house is all yours while we're out on the links, and perhaps taking in a Celin Dion show ( :uhoh: ).
I'll make sure that the fridge is well stocked with refreshing beverages, and I'll leave the number to the local pizza-joint by the phone :)

Oh... and you'll find clean diapers in the upstairs cupbard... :uhoh: :p :

RaceFanStan
27th August 2007, 18:52
Separate vacations is usually a sign of the "beginning of the end" ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif
Whatever you do, make sure it is memorable because it may be your only comfort later on ... :uhoh:

Hazell B
27th August 2007, 19:51
Oh... and you'll find clean diapers in the upstairs cupbard...

Jaws wears diapers? :eek: :p :

My partner's just had two weeks off and he stayed home :rolleyes:
Do almost anything but that :)

schmenke
27th August 2007, 21:33
Jaws wears diapers? :eek: :p : ...

Perhaps, but I do hope that he'll save a few for the rugrats that we intend on leaving behind :p : . They're not all that much work... honest :uhoh:

BDunnell
27th August 2007, 21:54
If I had the money, I'd get the Siberian express from Moscow to Vladivostok :)

I would still love to go on the trans-Siberian railway. The one thing stopping me (apart from finances) is that it involves being in Russia, which is not an experience I wish to go through again any time soon.

Drew
27th August 2007, 22:50
I would still love to go on the trans-Siberian railway. The one thing stopping me (apart from finances) is that it involves being in Russia, which is not an experience I wish to go through again any time soon.

I plan to go when I'm 30 in order to pick up a Russian wife ;) But seriously I'd love to go.

What happened the last time you went to Russia?

BDunnell
27th August 2007, 23:05
I plan to go when I'm 30 in order to pick up a Russian wife ;) But seriously I'd love to go.

What happened the last time you went to Russia?

I have been twice. Both were pretty awful. Afraid I'm about to go to bed, so no time to go into much detail! Suffice to say that I found St Petersburg deeply depressing — clearly, the authorities have no money for the preservation of its wonderful buildings, the place was full of obvious hardship and misery, many businesses try to rip you off at every turn if you are a Westerner, the police forces are a law unto themselves (thankfully, we didn't have direct experience of this) and you really need to know the Cyrillic alphabet and speak Russian to have a rewarding time, I suspect. The bad experience the second time (a work trip) was down to my BA flight not being able to land in Moscow, diverting to St Petersburg and then being stuck on the ground there with problems for hours and hours. Not the Russians' fault, but it was pretty much the final straw as far as that country is concerned for me!

Still, don't let me be any sort of arbiter on the matter, as many people must have good holidays in Russia, and the trans-Siberian experience lingers in my mind as one I must have one day. On a more positive note, by the way, Bosnia a year later was wonderful.

Rollo
28th August 2007, 00:10
Something utterly beautiful is the Aurora Australis. If you get right down into the south island of NZ you can see it a lot through the winter but not quite so much in summer as the days are longer.

If you are suffering burnout, then getting away is a grand idea :D

LeonBrooke
28th August 2007, 23:10
I, personally would visit all the museums I could find. Though for some reason many people aren't in to that kind of thing... :\

BDunnell
28th August 2007, 23:23
I, personally would visit all the museums I could find. Though for some reason many people aren't in to that kind of thing... :\

A wonderful idea.

On Saturday evening, the Berlin museums were all open into the early hours for their annual (it used to be bi-annual) 'Long Night of the Museums'. It was a great occasion, which somehow I had always missed before, and rammed home just how much there is to see in any city's museums no matter how often you have visited the place in question.

Jaws
29th August 2007, 02:36
WoW :eek: This is going to be some trip. Vanuatu,Canada, Argentina, Zimbabwe, NZ, Russia.

And Schmenke, pls don't leave your rugrats behind, I have a feeling that's what caused all this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pops, Fair cop,I washed those pants last year.

millencolin
29th August 2007, 08:00
Mana Island at Fiji. Its paradise. Its an island off the mainland of Fiji, very relaxing. i visited this place last year and it was just beautiful. its a resort with 2 beachside great restraunts, beautiful beachside bar and beaches. there are hammocks where you can just relax and drift in the wind. you can go snorkelling if thats your thing. you can just wander around the whole island, hike up the mini mountain and check out the view. The staff there are extremely friendly and are never in a rush. plus fijian beer is very good... i cant recommend ths place enough. and dont worry bout the political coup thing there, its fine.

If you need to relax and unwind, this is where ya gotta go mate. plus its hillarious to look at the beer list and see 'VB' on the imports list.

http://www.manafiji.com

Jaws
30th August 2007, 03:16
Mana Island at Fiji. Its paradise. Its an island off the mainland of Fiji, very relaxing. i visited this place last year and it was just beautiful. its a resort with 2 beachside great restraunts, beautiful beachside bar and beaches. there are hammocks where you can just relax and drift in the wind. you can go snorkelling if thats your thing. you can just wander around the whole island, hike up the mini mountain and check out the view. The staff there are extremely friendly and are never in a rush. plus fijian beer is very good... i cant recommend ths place enough. and dont worry bout the political coup thing there, its fine.

If you need to relax and unwind, this is where ya gotta go mate. plus its hillarious to look at the beer list and see 'VB' on the imports list.

http://www.manafiji.com

Millsy, you are soooooo speaking my language mate. I remember spending 10 days at Railay Beach in Thailand doing the same. I am going to check this out, but could you pls PM me the name of the place you stayed at?