PDA

View Full Version : The price of having a good time ?

Spoonbender
25th August 2007, 17:17
I was at my local last night with a few of the lads. Ended up playing some question and answer game in the corner when last orders was called. Feeling like a drink, but not a whole pint, I ordered a couple of bottles of 'Becks' and gave the bloke a fiver, he then stood there with a grim look on his face demanding another 20p. It's got me wondering, can we do a quick comparison between us with my bottle of Becks, next time you're out find out the price and list it here.

Small town in Somerset, England. Bottle of Becks £2.60

Dave B
25th August 2007, 17:34
Sounds about average, to be honest. Where I'm going later (small town in Kent!) a pint of Stella is £2.76.

Your story reminds me of a bar in Croydon a few years back, where I bought a pint of 1664 and some girly alcopop and handed over a tenner, only to be told it wasn't enough. £10.40 for two drinks - needless to say we drunk them and left :s

SOD
25th August 2007, 19:24
pint of lager would set you back about £3.60 in Dublin.

gave up the big nights on the town. still like a drink though,

Alfa Fan
25th August 2007, 19:44
Student pricing is much cheaper than anything mentioned here. Standard price of Carling/Carlsberg/etc is about £1.80/pint (sometimes as little as £1/pint), or for Guiness just over £2.

Woodeye
25th August 2007, 19:56
Helsinki, Finland.

In my local pub, Janoinen Lohi (thirsty salmon) I think it's 5 (3,3 quid) euro per half a litre of beer. I dunno the normal price since I usually order some special beer in there, they about 70 different beers around the globe... :beer: I invite anyone to go there, just let me know and I'll by you one. :)

In our regular lunch spot in Bullman, Kallio, Helsinki half a litre is 3,5 euro, that's about 2,3 quid I think.

jso1985
25th August 2007, 20:50
Bottle of local beer 1€
Bottle of Heineken or Corona 1,3€
Bottle of any other imported beer 1,5€

In the end there's has to be some positive side of living in a third world country ;)

A.F.F.
25th August 2007, 20:53
In our regular lunch spot in Bullman, Kallio, Helsinki half a litre is 3,5 euro, that's about 2,3 quid I think.

Bullman was my "kanttis" while I live accross the street :up:

J4MIE
25th August 2007, 21:26
When I was at uni a new place opened and a price war ensued.... vodka and coke got down to 19p :eek: for about 2 weeks.

Needless to say, I can't stand vodka now :s

Spoonbender
25th August 2007, 23:50
In contrast, I've stayed in tonight, watched X Factor and played Mario Party on the Wii with the kids. Went up the chippy for tea, stopped in Somerfields for some essentials and came out with a 4 pack of Grolsch for £2.99, that's only 40p more than my bottle of Becks. Mind you, the Lady behind the bar last night was a bit more pleasent on the eye than todays till girl :)

Woodeye
26th August 2007, 09:35
Bullman was my "kanttis" while I live accross the street :up:

Portions are huge over there. I think I've finished the whole plate about twice. They serve pyttipannu that tastes heavenly.. :facelick:

jim mcglinchey
26th August 2007, 09:43
I thought this thread was a warning to the kids about the perils of STD's.

Curryhead
26th August 2007, 10:33
when I go to the club I drink in in Derby, 1 pint off Bass, 1 pint of Carling & 2 Bacardi & cokes cost around £8.50, not sure on the individual prices, but I think that is quite good?

oily oaf
26th August 2007, 11:12
when I go to the club I drink in in Derby, 1 pint off Bass, 1 pint of Carling & 2 Bacardi & cokes cost around £8.50, not sure on the individual prices, but I think that is quite good?

Wot all in one glass! :eek:

I can go one better than that matey :mad:
Last Saturday night I guzzled 2 crates of London Pride and six 3 litre bottles of Frosty Jack strong cider and it was all free! :)
Mind you I had just ram raided the off licence and am currently remanded in custody and awaiting sentence in HMP Wormwood Scrubbs.

Prisoner No 18485769385
Chokey.

Curryhead
26th August 2007, 11:26
Ooooo, London Pride, not had any of that in ages, frosty jack? is that the tramp juice stuff??

Dave B
26th August 2007, 13:03
London Pride? I thought that was a march of... shall we say "flamboyant" people :p

Mark in Oshawa
26th August 2007, 16:08
Leave it to Oaf to take a thread on the price of beer and put a whole new spin on things....

JSO, I wonder why beer is so cheap to you guys and yet a bottle of Corona is considered a "import" in Canada and runs me 6 bucks a bottle?

oily oaf
26th August 2007, 17:31
Ooooo, London Pride, not had any of that in ages, frosty jack? is that the tramp juice stuff??

Tramp juice?!! TRAMP JUICE???????? :mad:
Wot a diabolical liberty!
I'll have you know Sirrah that since I've been on the FJ I've only had two fights with myself and what's more my dog on a piece of string absolutely thrives on it :mad:

"Flamboyant people" that's very twee of you Dave.
Ever considered taking up gainfull employ in the diplomatic corps? ;)

gm99
26th August 2007, 20:27
Helsinki, Finland.

In my local pub, Janoinen Lohi (thirsty salmon) I think it's 5 (3,3 quid) euro per half a litre of beer. I dunno the normal price since I usually order some special beer in there, they about 70 different beers around the globe... :beer: I invite anyone to go there, just let me know and I'll by you one. :)

Hehe, I'll be in Helsinki the week after next and just might take you up on that offer ;)

It's near the Olympic Stadium, isn't it?

To earn my pint, I'll contribute something to this thread: A 0,5 litre glass of (local) beer is usually between 2,90 and 3,50 Eur here in Vienna; a 0,33 l bottle of Corona or Heineken is about the same; other imports such as Guinness are between four and five Eur per pint.

Rollo
27th August 2007, 01:10
Pint of Newcastle Brown Ale at my local is A$6.50
Pint of London Pride is A$6

Pint of VB - I have no idea since that stuff is wretched

Woodeye
27th August 2007, 06:44
Hehe, I'll be in Helsinki the week after next and just might take you up on that offer ;)

It's near the Olympic Stadium, isn't it?

You know the Janoinen Lohi?! :eek: It sure is near the olympic stadium. But since I bragged to buy anyone a pint, I'll guess I have to do it then. :)

gm99
27th August 2007, 12:14
You know the Janoinen Lohi?! :eek: It sure is near the olympic stadium. But since I bragged to buy anyone a pint, I'll guess I have to do it then. :)

I don't know the Janoinen Lohi - yet ;) But a mate of mine who used to live in Helsinki does and told me about it.

So what would be a good night to go there? Unfortunately, I won't be around on the week-end, just from Tuesday to Thursday...

Woodeye
27th August 2007, 12:43
I don't know the Janoinen Lohi - yet ;) But a mate of mine who used to live in Helsinki does and told me about it.

So what would be a good night to go there? Unfortunately, I won't be around on the week-end, just from Tuesday to Thursday...

Heh. Every nite is great nite in there. Well, it's basically just a normal pub with great selection of beers. But I think that I'm available probably almost every evening, so just PM me the date when you're planning to come. :)

gm99
27th August 2007, 12:52
Heh. Every nite is great nite in there. Well, it's basically just a normal pub with great selection of beers. But I think that I'm available probably almost every evening, so just PM me the date when you're planning to come. :)

Cool - I'll definitely send you a PM as soon as I know more about my plans and hope to see you there next week!

jso1985
28th August 2007, 00:15
Leave it to Oaf to take a thread on the price of beer and put a whole new spin on things....

JSO, I wonder why beer is so cheap to you guys and yet a bottle of Corona is considered a "import" in Canada and runs me 6 bucks a bottle?

cuz with the average wage of 150-200€/month absolutely noone would buy a Corona for that price!

so technically Corona is stealing your money so I can drink their beer too ;)

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2007, 06:04
cuz with the average wage of 150-200€/month absolutely noone would buy a Corona for that price!

so technically Corona is stealing your money so I can drink their beer too ;)

They aint stealing my money, because only my brother in law drinks Corona in my circle of friends, and he buys that. I on the other hand, buy Guinness at the local for 6 bucks a draught, which might be cheaper than the price in the UK and Ireland, so maybe in a strange way, I am being allowed to drink cheaper by them!!

Rudy Tamasz
28th August 2007, 07:40
Here in Belarus you get a pint of locally made premium (!) tap beer for about $1.50. More upscale bars serve bottled imports at $2 - 5 a pint and everybody whines how expensive it is. Vodka is dirt cheap though and starts at $0.50 a shot.

schmenke
28th August 2007, 17:40
Does noone buy beer by the case? :s

A case of 12 Labbat's Blue (~340ml bottles) costs me just under $20.00CAD. On paydays I'll pick up a box of Stella (imported obviously :mark: ) for about $25.00.

For a pint of proper ale at the pub, the tarbender will charge me between $4.00 and $5.00 (less during "happy hour"), plus tip of course, the amount of which is commensurate with depth of cleavage.

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2007, 18:39
Schmenke, if you want beer cheap, Lakeport Lager in Ontario is a buck a beer...a 24 for 24 bucks....and it isn't a bad beer really. That said, for the amount of beer I drink, I usually have a pint of Guinness or Keith's for anywhere between 450 and 6 for a pint at the pub.

Hey, it is always cheaper to drink at home from the beer store, but hey, that isn't as much fun as looking at the barmaid's clevage.....

SOD
28th August 2007, 20:52
most of the price of alcohol is taxation.

Drew
28th August 2007, 22:23
Here in Belarus you get a pint of locally made premium (!) tap beer for about $1.50. More upscale bars serve bottled imports at $2 - 5 a pint and everybody whines how expensive it is. Vodka is dirt cheap though and starts at $0.50 a shot.

Vodka, a real man's drink :up: :D

LeonBrooke
28th August 2007, 22:47
I don't really know how much alcohol costs here - I have a knack for getting people to buy me drinks... the last Corona I had was free.

But, the last time I was in a pub we got two pints for $14.00. No idea how good that is. And the last time I bought a Red Bull in a pub it was $7.00. Needless to say, I don't buy Red Bull in pubs any more...

CarlMetro
29th August 2007, 09:21
One bottle of Bud and Southern Comfort and Coke in a bar in Hammersmith on Monday was £8.70, a 500ml bottle of water inside the Appollo was £1.75 :rolleyes: My Local last time is was in there was charging around £2.50 a bottle and around £2.80 a pint.

Mark
29th August 2007, 09:23
Hang on tho. We are constantly being told that alchohol is far too cheap!

Flat.tyres
29th August 2007, 09:43
Pint of normal Cider in a small coastal town in sussex was £3.20. :(