PDA

View Full Version : Ugly! Ferrari/BBS need a better solution...

Shifter
24th August 2007, 23:06
We just saw them today, holy smokes the painted wheel covers need to go. I never had a problem with some of the aero fittings on the cars being perhaps a bit unsightly because they are needed. This is different though, it's horrifyingly hideous,

Apparently the aero covers on the wheels covering the BBS logo's upset BBS, so they pushed for a logo on the cover. Today at Istanbul, the cars are running with 1-dimensional, non-rolling BBS stencils that look like something a fourth-grader would do in arts-and-crafts on the wheel covers. Would it have been too hard to put a BBS logo on the car? I hope that's the plan and this is just temporary.

...as if we didn't know what kind of wheels they were anyways...

Kevincal
25th August 2007, 00:30
I agree, it looks pretty bad...

Jimmy Magnusson
25th August 2007, 02:28
Fantastic! Imagine if they would've had six wheels, Honda Dumbo wings and '98 "Tyrrell Towers" too..

Valve Bounce
25th August 2007, 02:40
We just saw them today, holy smokes the painted wheel covers need to go. I never had a problem with some of the aero fittings on the cars being perhaps a bit unsightly because they are needed. This is different though, it's horrifyingly hideous,

Apparently the aero covers on the wheels covering the BBS logo's upset BBS, so they pushed for a logo on the cover. Today at Istanbul, the cars are running with 1-dimensional, non-rolling BBS stencils that look like something a fourth-grader would do in arts-and-crafts on the wheel covers. Would it have been too hard to put a BBS logo on the car? I hope that's the plan and this is just temporary.

Do you have a link for me to have a look, please?

OK, I just found this at Autpsport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61736
Is this what we are looking at?

ShiftingGears
25th August 2007, 03:16
Urgh, that looks awful, like some NASCAR decals. I think it'd be more aesthetically pleasing (and manly) to have BBS tattoed to the drivers foreheads.

Shifter
25th August 2007, 08:07
Do you have a link for me to have a look, please?

OK, I just found this at Autpsport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61736
Is this what we are looking at?

yeah, and they don't turn (obviously). They just sit there still while the car races around. When you see it in action you'll be extremely distracted by them.

wmcot
25th August 2007, 09:04
Could be worse, they could have used "spinners"... :)

25th August 2007, 09:13
Could be worse, they could have used "spinners"... :)

And have fitted neon tube lights onto the undertray.

Actually, let's go the whole hog and have them fitted with sub-woofers pumping out Timbaland at top volume as they sit on the grid.

wmcot
25th August 2007, 09:17
And have fitted neon tube lights onto the undertray.

Actually, let's go the whole hog and have them fitted with sub-woofers pumping out Timbaland at top volume as they sit on the grid.

I'm afraid all that will have to wait a few years until Max gets his "energy recovery" systems up and running. Then the cars will have massive power generated to drive huge power amps, lights, even low-rider hydraulics!

ioan
25th August 2007, 12:07
Nothing else left to bash about Ferrari?!
Next problem will be that the cars are painted red. :rolleyes:

I suppose that the BBS marking is there because they want it on the wheels and not on the car, simply because they produce the rims and not the bodywork.

tinchote
25th August 2007, 14:28
I look at the picture, and I struggle to see the problem. Anyone care to explain? :confused:

ioan
25th August 2007, 15:44
I look at the picture, and I struggle to see the problem. Anyone care to explain? :confused:

It's a Ferrari! ;)

jens
25th August 2007, 15:58
I'm also not annoyed by a problem you (or are least some of you) are paying attention to.

Kevincal
25th August 2007, 20:52

You have to see the car in motion with the "hub caps" stationary. It looks retarded...

markabilly
25th August 2007, 22:30
You have to see the car in motion with the "hub caps" stationary. It looks retarded...

gee I better watch TV to see who they get the wheel off wonder if that is some sort of aero device or damper hidden as a wheel cover

ioan
25th August 2007, 23:23

Depends on the POV, really!

I mean, BBS for sure are more than happy that people can actually read their brand on a Ferrari wheel for the whole race and not only during pit stops! :D
Not that retarded after all! :p :

tinchote
26th August 2007, 04:01

I'll give a try tomorrow, if I wake up on time :)

wmcot
26th August 2007, 08:53

I suppose that the BBS marking is there because they want it on the wheels and not on the car, simply because they produce the rims and not the bodywork.

I'm not bashing - I'm a Ferrari fan! I'm not above having a bit of humor about the team I follow, however!

ioan
26th August 2007, 10:56
I'm not bashing - I'm a Ferrari fan! I'm not above having a bit of humor about the team I follow, however!

Sorry wmcot, my post wasn't directed to you but to the thread starter (I should have quoted him but I was just to lazy). Sorry again.

janneppi
26th August 2007, 12:09
They're ugly, that's the problem. :p :

harvick#1
26th August 2007, 16:40
what the hell is that, they look horrible

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/tur/f1-2007-tur-xp-0494.jpg

ioan
26th August 2007, 16:50
Nice picture of the winning car! I see nothing wrong about it, simply wonderful piece of technology! :)

janneppi
26th August 2007, 17:02
ioan, i thought you were against all of these new aero bits?

ioan
26th August 2007, 17:56
ioan, i thought you were against all of these new aero bits?

I am and I wish that F1 cars would look again as slick as the early 90's Ferraris!

But I'm more against people who bash Ferrari because the wheel cover has a BBS inscription that won't turn with the wheel!
If it doesn't turn than it isn't realistic enough for them, if it turn it's a moveable aero device and we all know the hell on earth would happen here.

janneppi
26th August 2007, 18:18
I am and I wish that F1 cars would look again as slick as the early 90's Ferraris!

But I'm more against people who bash Ferrari because the wheel cover has a BBS inscription that won't turn with the wheel!
Despite what you would like to believe, it's not ugly because it's on a Ferrari wheel, it's ugly because it is that, ugly. :)
Your moaning when ever red car happens to be critisized is getting rather old, especially when there isn't even a hint of anti Ferrarism in this thread by anyone but you.

jens
26th August 2007, 18:22
I see... Ugly? Horrible? What other opinions do we have here?

I may be a bit weird, but I really like those wheelcovers and that BBS even adds more spice. At least Ferrari has something other teams don't have. :p : Yeah, and I also like the liveries of Renault and Honda that many people don't like. So I tend to disagree with the majority in the area of F1 car beauty. :p :

Daniel
26th August 2007, 18:33
It's a bit strange but what are you going to do? Ferrari want to use the wheel cover, BBS want their brand advertised. Solution :) There really isn't an issue :p

Drew
26th August 2007, 19:46
I'm surprised Ferrari haven't seen the covers as a real advertising idea.

ioan
26th August 2007, 20:11
I'm surprised Ferrari haven't seen the covers as a real advertising idea.

Well, BBS did see them! You can actually read the BBS on them unlike on other cars rims!

harvick#1
26th August 2007, 20:12
I can't wait for Tameo to make this kit and see the great decal rims :D

Kevincal
26th August 2007, 21:15
Glorified hubcaps...LOL ;) Seem to be working though I guess...

tinchote
26th August 2007, 21:40
I'm surprised about all the fuzz with these things. If it weren't for this thread, I would have probably not even noticed them.

Shifter
26th August 2007, 21:52
Sorry wmcot, my post wasn't directed to you but to the thread starter (I should have quoted him but I was just to lazy). Sorry again.

Well, I am a BMW fan and I wounldn't like them on a BMW either. Okay perhaps I took one look and overreacted, but they still don't look as good as when the bits had the high-gloss black on them.

wmcot
27th August 2007, 06:51
I guess they're no worse than when McLaren came out with their "viking horn" airbox wings...people made fun of those, too. At least Ferrari finished 1-2 first time out with the painted discs!

Mysterious Rock
27th August 2007, 07:48
they dont move to ensure that they stay within the regs of no moving aero pieces?! clever really

ShiftingGears
27th August 2007, 08:01
I'm not sure if its as ugly as the painted soft tyre. Icky.

ioan
27th August 2007, 08:29
they dont move to ensure that they stay within the regs of no moving aero pieces?! clever really

No, they don't move because if they moved than they would give no advantage. That's even cleverer! ;)

janneppi
27th August 2007, 08:35
Exactly, the plate doesn't rotate because the hole needs to be in a certain angle, 27 degrees from horizontal plane or something like that.

Drew
27th August 2007, 18:27
Well, BBS did see them! You can actually read the BBS on them unlike on other cars rims!

But I'm surprised that BBS had to complain to Ferrari about it. I'm surprised that it wasn't an advertising opportunity from the start :)

wmcot
27th August 2007, 21:22
But I'm surprised that BBS had to complain to Ferrari about it. I'm surprised that it wasn't an advertising opportunity from the start :)

Maybe Ferrari were negotiating the price of the advertising space?

SGWilko
30th August 2007, 12:38

You got a point about the colour there, Crimson was always the Ferrari colour, not fag ash Marlboro red.

555-04Q2
30th August 2007, 13:11

No argumants here. The cars do look a bit trashy in their current guise :(

wmcot
31st August 2007, 07:29
No argumants here. The cars do look a bit trashy in their current guise :(

At least when I buy the model of the F2007 for my collection, it will be sitting still on the shelf so it won't be a problem.

Maybe they could embed LEDs in the wheel covers so the cars could spell out messages as the pass by if front of the cameras - things like "Marlboro," etc. and sell even more advertising "space." Or they could make the LEDs light in a "spoke" motion giving the appearance of turning wheels.

Mikko
1st September 2007, 12:44
By the way, anyone know what's the BBS-company's current situation?

I remember hearing something about their bankruptcy some time ago. I've always admired their wheel's and was kind of surprised to hear about their difficulties...