PDA

View Full Version : Upset with Kubica

GP-M3
23rd August 2007, 19:32
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I was upset with Kubica for letting Alonso past last race. Everyone else put up a fight, but Kubica was just a wimp and let him past.

He said later Alonso was his friend and so he did that, but in hind-sight it was probably a mistake (to let him pass) considering he finished just behind him.

Sorry, I'd provide a link for those not in the know, but I looked all over to refind that article, but don't remember where it was.

Anyway, I've been a bit p*ssed at Kubica since.

Corny
23rd August 2007, 20:01
I'm sure he'll do it different a next time : P

tinchote
23rd August 2007, 20:19
I was surprised when I saw him offering no fight. It's hard to imagine what benefit can he get from that.

ojciec dyrektor
23rd August 2007, 21:47
He said he had problems with tyres. Compare his lap times. His first 8th laps was much slower.
But You have right. He should fight more than that.

Roamy
23rd August 2007, 22:19
good for kubica - a sportsman and a gentleman

BriannaBee
23rd August 2007, 22:24
If Kubica were being lapped, I would agree but considering that he was fighting for position with Alonso, his lack of defence was stupid. I can't imagine that BMW would be too happy if he were to do that again!

F1MAN2007
23rd August 2007, 23:18
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I was upset with Kubica for letting Alonso past last race. Everyone else put up a fight, but Kubica was just a wimp and let him past.

He said later Alonso was his friend and so he did that, but in hind-sight it was probably a mistake (to let him pass) considering he finished just behind him.

Sorry, I'd provide a link for those not in the know, but I looked all over to refind that article, but don't remember where it was.

He was just celebrating his first anniversary in F1, something to be kind a little bit and not fight on your day!! :D

LeonBrooke
24th August 2007, 00:12

I agree. Alonso is in the title fight - he was just doing for Alonso what he needed. Had it been Vettel in the STR or Sutil in the Spyker would people have wanted him to defend the position?

tinchote
24th August 2007, 00:50
I agree. Alonso is in the title fight - he was just doing for Alonso what he needed. Had it been Vettel in the STR or Sutil in the Spyker would people have wanted him to defend the position?

What's the meaning of that? You think that everybody should have let Massa pass without fighting? Races would be really interesting if everybody is a "gentleman" and lets the guy who is above in the standings pass :rolleyes:

LeonBrooke
24th August 2007, 01:04
It was a one-off. Next year, when everyone's on zero again, Kubica will fight as hard as anyone else.

I just think that if it had been Sutil defending from Alonso, people would be complaining that the Spyker had been holding him up and should have let him go.

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 02:09

That's outrageous. Let's penalise him 10 places on the grid this week. :eek:

Kevincal
24th August 2007, 02:10

Yes we need more like him. :)

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 02:17

Didn't Jarno do that and Flav fired him?? :p :

leopard
24th August 2007, 04:01
Were you upset too when Kubica was defending his position and his teammate twice took him out in Germany? No one mention it either.

GP-M3
24th August 2007, 05:10

Both wrong. It wasnt a Spyker it was the car that finished 1 second behind Alsonso. Had he defended his position instead of being weak kneed he'd have finished ahead, and Alonso, the luckiest guy on the grid wouldn't have been gifted another point, which may be important at the end of the season.

tinchote
24th August 2007, 05:45
I just think that if it had been Sutil defending from Alonso, people would be complaining that the Spyker had been holding him up and should have let him go.

Not me. The drivers are there to race, not to let other drivers pass because they are faster/ahead in the WDC.

And, as I said: I would like to see the people saying that it was ok for Kubica to let FA pass, to say that Massa should have been let go by most of the drivers ahead of him. Or it's different because he is in a Ferrari?

ioan
24th August 2007, 09:05

Check up the meaning of the word racing in a dictionary, be prepared for a surprise! :D

ioan
24th August 2007, 09:07
And, as I said: I would like to see the people saying that it was ok for Kubica to let FA pass, to say that Massa should have been let go by most of the drivers ahead of him. Or it's different because he is in a Ferrari?

You touched a sensible nerve there! ;)

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 09:32
Im in agreement with ioan and Tin here.

this is racing and he should have defended as hard as practical.

I would also say that as hard as practical isn't as hard as possible. he should have fought hard but kept in mind that he was against a contender and not done anything silly to endanger Alonsos race.

Im sure none of us want to see a front runner taken out of the championship because a mid runner turns in on him when he's clearly going to take him.

F1MAN2007
24th August 2007, 10:12
Check up the meaning of the word racing in a dictionary, be prepared for a surprise! :D

Honestly I am suprised!!! :eek:

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 10:40
Im in agreement with ioan and Tin here.

this is racing and he should have defended as hard as practical.

I would also say that as hard as practical isn't as hard as possible. he should have fought hard but kept in mind that he was against a contender and not done anything silly to endanger Alonsos race.

Im sure none of us want to see a front runner taken out of the championship because a mid runner turns in on him when he's clearly going to take him.

To be quite sincere on this, I don't think ant would have squibbed it.

ArrowsFA1
24th August 2007, 10:48
The drivers are there to race, not to let other drivers pass because they are faster/ahead in the WDC.
I agree, but sadly it seems teams rely more on calculations to decide where they are capable of finishing before the race starts. Of course they'll try to "optimise the strategy" :rolleyes: but that invariably means the timing of pitstops rather than racing on-track.

24th August 2007, 13:04
I agree, but sadly it seems teams rely more on calculations to decide where they are capable of finishing before the race starts. Of course they'll try to "optimise the strategy" :rolleyes: but that invariably means the timing of pitstops rather than racing on-track.

I think you're on to something with that....

If we suppose that Kubica's race strategy required him to do lap times of 1min.20secs (that's just a guess, I can't remember how long it takes to go around the Hungaroring), and fighting with Alonso will drop him to the 1.23's or 1.24's by driving defensively, then he is better off letting Alonso go and sticking to his 1.21 strategy.

That way, he'd only lose one place as opposed to several more by lapping slower and having his strategy shafted.

Sometimes it is better to look at the bigger picture of the race than squabble over every corner.

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 13:22

If we suppose that Kubica's race strategy required him to do lap times of 1min.20secs (that's just a guess, I can't remember how long it takes to go around the Hungaroring), and fighting with Alonso will drop him to the 1.23's or 1.24's by driving defensively, then he is better off letting Alonso go and sticking to his 1.21 strategy.

That way, he'd only lose one place as opposed to several more by lapping slower and having his strategy shafted.

Sometimes it is better to look at the bigger picture of the race than squabble over every corner.

quite correct. you will often hear over the radio that your not fighting so and so or to forget about someone because of strategy.

it is a bit sad but there you have it.

tinchote
24th August 2007, 15:10

I - sadly - agree with the general idea. But we are talking Hungary here, and I really doubt that defending a position requires losing 2 seconds a lap. And defending at the first corner wouldn't have hurt his lap time that much.

Does anyone remember how far away they were from a pit stop when FA passed him?

LeonBrooke
24th August 2007, 16:01
Not me. The drivers are there to race, not to let other drivers pass because they are faster/ahead in the WDC.

Both wrong. It wasnt a Spyker it was the car that finished 1 second behind Alsonso. Had he defended his position instead of being weak kneed he'd have finished ahead, and Alonso, the luckiest guy on the grid wouldn't have been gifted another point, which may be important at the end of the season.

My point was, It was in no way required of Kubica, but that he did it was nice. I would in no way think less of him if he hadn't done it, because he wasn't obligated. It's just nice that he did.

Sleeper
24th August 2007, 16:09
I - sadly - agree with the general idea. But we are talking Hungary here, and I really doubt that defending a position requires losing 2 seconds a lap. And defending at the first corner wouldn't have hurt his lap time that much.

Does anyone remember how far away they were from a pit stop when FA passed him?
A long way, it was about lap 8.

As I remember it, it was a bit of a late lunge by Alonso, the kind of thing thats not easy to defend against as it ends up as a case of "I'm coming through and theres nothing sensible you can do about it".

Storm
24th August 2007, 16:31
That's outrageous. Let's penalise him 10 places on the grid this week. :eek:
Don't need to be so sarcastic either ;)
I agree it was stupid , friend or not , Alonso wouldn't mind but anybody enjoys something more if you had to really earn it.

Kevincal
24th August 2007, 16:37
Eh maybe it had something to do with the horrific crash Kubica endured not long ago...Maybe he didn't feel like risking another big accident by trying to BLOCK his faster, 2 time champion friend... ;) Plus Alonso would have been in front of him anyway had he not been CHEATED... ;)

ioan
24th August 2007, 18:20
Conclusion, Kubica will never be WDC with this attitude.

24th August 2007, 19:03
Conclusion, Kubica will never be WDC with this attitude.

I don't know...not getting involved in unneccesary scraps that could hurt your strategy has been known to pay off.

ioan
24th August 2007, 19:10
I don't know...not getting involved in unneccesary scraps that could hurt your strategy has been known to pay off.

What pays of even more is the number of points at the end of the season.

Shifter
25th August 2007, 08:12
Well, ever since his debut race when he was scrapping with Michael I've been a fan. I was ecstatic when he got to the podium in Monza. As for this I'll just have to bite my lip and say that it's something to watch, lets not judge him completely on this alone.

truefan72
25th August 2007, 11:01
What's the meaning of that? You think that everybody should have let Massa pass without fighting? Races would be really interesting if everybody is a "gentleman" and lets the guy who is above in the standings pass :rolleyes:

couldn't agree more,

they dont' provide him a race seat in F1 and pay him to clear the road for his competitors in direct poistions racing.

terrible move Kubica, a slight dent in his otherwhise sterling reputation
I don't like that attitude in a driver

truefan72
25th August 2007, 11:08

I couldn't disagree more.

the race is run on the track not on a supercomputer with no variables what so ever. If the safety car gets' deployed or a localaized yellow comes in, that changes the "predetermined strategy"

heck, there are hundreds of variables that affect the strategy.
If you are ahead of the guy and looking to finish ahead of him, letting him by and gifting him that postion does absolutely nothing for you.

race well and hard and shift strategy as the race unfolds.

I guess IYO M. Winckelhock should have moved over and let everyone go buy because their predetrmined strategy didn't have them leading the GP after a few laps :)

Hendersen
26th August 2007, 15:22
05 Nick Heidfeld 47
06 Robert Kubica 29

I'd be more upset with that. Considering Kubica nutlickers seem to think he's better than Nick, that 60% higher point total must require some convoluted excuse making.

ioan
26th August 2007, 15:24
I'd be more upset with that. Considering Kubica nutlickers seem to think he's better than Nick, that surely must require some convoluted excuse making.

Don't worry, they are up to it! :D

rohanweb
26th August 2007, 16:34
seems like alonso gives Kubica money by back hand..to let him pass without a fight... Mario Thiessen wont be very happy about to see he is doing that again,.

Shifter
26th August 2007, 22:09
05 Nick Heidfeld 47
06 Robert Kubica 29

I'd be more upset with that. Considering Kubica nutlickers seem to think he's better than Nick, that 60% higher point total must require some convoluted excuse making.

As the resident Kubica fan, I have to agree that Nick is better. Kubica is basically still a rookie, and that alone should put him down 8 championship points to senior driver Quick Nick. Add in the crash at Canada (his fault, but y'know, he was trying to actually do some overtaking) and subsequently missing Indy due to his injuries, and there you have the 18pt differential. Disappointing still in light of Hamilton's performance, but not exactly miserable. I still have faith.

markabilly
27th August 2007, 01:04
Kubica has been a big disappointment compared to Nick, and the BMW is certainly competitve enough as demonstrated by SV, no less---(you remember him, the one that can not beat out VL, and VL was the one who could not clearly beat scott not speed....) No, Nick ain't exactly one setting the world on fire upside down....bmw would do well to get FA......

Destined to another useless recycled driver as RD calls them......

leopard
27th August 2007, 03:43
bmw would do well to get FA......
I've said so, if they seriously want to challenge the title they should have given FA an offer.

What a strange strategy was applied for Kubica, he has been leading over Nick by such improved time lap to lap before going pitted in, but he doesn't seem to have strong appetite after he got himself behind Nick thereafter.

ioan
27th August 2007, 08:20
As the resident Kubica fan, I have to agree that Nick is better. Kubica is basically still a rookie, and that alone should put him down 8 championship points to senior driver Quick Nick.

You mean 18 points down.

Shifter
27th August 2007, 15:18
Add in the crash at Canada and subsequently missing Indy due to his injuries, and there you have the 18pt differential. Disappointing still in light of Hamilton's performance, but not exactly miserable. I still have faith.

I addressed the whole point differential in the second half of the post. ;-)