PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Grande Punto Sporting...???

AndyRAC
23rd August 2007, 12:32
Thinking of purchasing a new car, and I'm quite impressed with the new Punto. In the booklet the Sporting is 1.4 16v petrol or 1.9 TDiesel, However recently the 1.4 has had a turbo added to it. Fiat's reputation seems to be getting better. Anybody have a Punto, and are they any good??

Woodeye
23rd August 2007, 12:52
*expecting Jon Brown to arrive to scene*

I've been thinking about acquiring the same car. It looks stylish and all the reports that I've read about it seem to be positive. Especially the handling should be great.

Daniel
23rd August 2007, 19:18
I think they could get in trouble for false advertising :p

0-60 in 9.2 for the diesel is hardly sporting at all :mark:
0-60 in 8.9 for the petrol is only just better

That said it does look good. Personally I'd take a Panda 100hp over a Punto if I was buying a Fiat. You'd have a grand in your hand over the cheaper of the two (the diesel) and it's different :)

I do wish Fiat would get back to their roots and build affordable cars which were quick for the money :) The last proper "Fiat" they made was the Coupe Turbo :(

jim mcglinchey
23rd August 2007, 19:36
The wife has been driving an '02 Punto 1.2 16 valve tiptronic for nearly three years and in that time it has been 100 % reliable, except for the ball and socket joint on the end of the wiper arms wearing, but that is easily cured by slightly crushing the socket with a pair of vise grips so that its harder for the ball to slip out. The car has plenty of extras and every one of them still works, and she's happy to keep driving it.

Woodeye
24th August 2007, 06:34
That said it does look good. Personally I'd take a Panda 100hp over a Punto if I was buying a Fiat. You'd have a grand in your hand over the cheaper of the two (the diesel) and it's different :)

I do wish Fiat would get back to their roots and build affordable cars which were quick for the money :) The last proper "Fiat" they made was the Coupe Turbo :(

Agreed that it does look good. But this looks even better. I have to say that this one of the most beautiful cars in a long time:

http://www.auto-motor.at/Auto/Autos-Neuwagen/Automarken-Automodelle-Neuigkeiten/Fiat-News/Fiat-Bravo-2007.html

And I sure hope that Fiat don't go back to it's "roots". That would be building Tipos, Multiplas, Ideas and Stilos. Those cars really didn't sell and Fiat was in a verge of bankruptcy. Grande Punto pretty much saved Fiat. (and Lancia and Alfa Romeo) So no back to bad old days, please.

Daniel
24th August 2007, 06:48
Agreed that it does look good. But this looks even better. I have to say that this one of the most beautiful cars in a long time:

http://www.auto-motor.at/Auto/Autos-Neuwagen/Automarken-Automodelle-Neuigkeiten/Fiat-News/Fiat-Bravo-2007.html

And I sure hope that Fiat don't go back to it's "roots". That would be building Tipos, Multiplas, Ideas and Stilos. Those cars really didn't sell and Fiat was in a verge of bankruptcy. Grande Punto pretty much saved Fiat. (and Lancia and Alfa Romeo) So no back to bad old days, please.

No no no :D Fiat's roots are making good cars like the 124, 124 spider, 131 Abarth and so on :)

pino
24th August 2007, 06:54
Andy, get the Abarth version if you can afford ;)

Donney
24th August 2007, 10:42
Those new Fiats look really sexy I'd certainly buy one if I had any money.

Iain
24th August 2007, 16:08
The last proper "Fiat" they made was the Coupe Turbo :(

What a glorious noise that car makes. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
27th August 2007, 18:02
Get one :D

AndyRAC
28th August 2007, 11:07
Get one :D

Not sure whether to get one or wait for the Abarth version. Or can it be upgraded to an Abarth?

Daniel
28th August 2007, 11:14
Not sure whether to get one or wait for the Abarth version. Or can it be upgraded to an Abarth?
Are you being serious?

pino
28th August 2007, 11:37

Wait for the Abarth version ;)

AndyRAC
28th August 2007, 12:14
Are you being serious?

I know what you mean but my current car is on it's last legs, all kinds of niggling problems cropping up. Yeah, I'll have to wait,..

Daniel
28th August 2007, 12:21
Good :) If you have your mind set on the Abarth then buy a 200 quid banger and drive that till the Abarth arrives :) My only issue is that a proper Abarth should have a 2L or at least a 2l turbo to do justice to the name :)

AndyRAC
28th August 2007, 13:07
I might have over exaggerated the 'last legs', it's in better condition than a £200 banger; it's just the little niggling problems keep cropping up.
From what I've heard it's a 1.4L turbo, two versions 150-155BHP & 180 BHP. Don't know why they don't base it on the S2000 car.

Daniel
29th August 2007, 07:59
I might have over exaggerated the 'last legs', it's in better condition than a £200 banger; it's just the little niggling problems keep cropping up.
From what I've heard it's a 1.4L turbo, two versions 150-155BHP & 180 BHP. Don't know why they don't base it on the S2000 car.
Because Fiat want to learn to walk before they run I suspect :) So before they go releasing an Italian Impreza I suspect they're working on their image and quality as well ;)

wedge
29th August 2007, 15:08

The engines is going to be designed by Paolo Martinelli. They're going to stick the turbos in the Fiat 500 Abarth as well!

If you're waiting for the Abarth then you're look at about £15k at the very least. For similar money and BHP the Peugeot 207 1.6 turbos 150 and 175 GTI are the same engines from the Mini. Engine reliabilty aren't Fiat's strong points. Just something for you to think about...

AndyRAC
29th August 2007, 15:21
The engines is going to be designed by Paolo Martinelli. They're going to stick the turbos in the Fiat 500 Abarth as well!

If you're waiting for the Abarth then you're look at about £15k at the very least. For similar money and BHP the Peugeot 207 1.6 turbos 150 and 175 GTI are the same engines from the Mini. Engine reliabilty aren't Fiat's strong points. Just something for you to think about...

I did consider the Peugeots, but a few reviews weren't to complimentary, whereas the Fiats were good. I am now officially confused,... :confused:

Daniel
29th August 2007, 15:28

Oh yes. Historically Fiat hasn't had Lampredi twincams which have been modified to hell and haven't lasted for aaages and ages :rolleyes: Fiat engines without a doubt are some of the best in the world. Sure you might have problems with the ancillaries but Fiat engines are historically quite bulletproof and I'll not hear a word against them. Engines and electrics are not the same thing my child :)

Brown, Jon Brow
29th August 2007, 16:02
Oh yes. Historically Fiat hasn't had Lampredi twincams which have been modified to hell and haven't lasted for aaages and ages :rolleyes: Fiat engines without a doubt are some of the best in the world. Sure you might have problems with the ancillaries but Fiat engines are historically quite bulletproof and I'll not hear a word against them. Engines and electrics are not the same thing my child :)

Yes. I can say that for the 2000 (ish) miles that my car has done it hasn't missed a beat :p

:uhoh:

wedge
29th August 2007, 17:04
I did consider the Peugeots, but a few reviews weren't to complimentary, whereas the Fiats were good. I am now officially confused,... :confused:

Depends what you want from your car.

The only reason the 207 has bad reviews is because its heavier (like most brand new cars) and GTI has 175BHP whereas most hot hatches are 200BHP.

The THP 150 (BHP) is rated as one of the best warm-hatches on the market. I've test driven one and its a very good everyday car. The PSA/BMW engines are the only reason why I'm reconsidering Peugeots.

I've owned Pugs - I've been lucky with engines and can tolerate the cheap plastic but I've thought about on moving onto something different.

The last generation Punto weren't exacty the best of cars to own....

AndyRAC
14th September 2007, 09:03
FIAT own Ferrari, mmmm, don't think I'll bother getting one now. Not handing my hard earned over to that lot!!

Daniel
14th September 2007, 09:15
Eh? I thought people bought cars because they were good.

AndyRAC
14th September 2007, 09:49
Said partly tongue in cheek....

...have seen messages urging people to boycott anything to do with Ferrari, i;e Shell, Fiat, etc

Daniel
14th September 2007, 09:57
Said partly tongue in cheek....

...have seen messages urging people to boycott anything to do with Ferrari, i;e Shell, Fiat, etc
Well where was the smilie ;) Car choice is an emotional thing for me too but people not going into a shell garage (go into the tesco petrol station, it'll just screw your car over :) ) or buy a car that is otherwise good is just silly.

AndyRAC
14th September 2007, 10:02
No, a FIAT it is, all the reviews are good, it looks good. Decision made!