PDA

View Full Version : Prodrive in 08

Flat.tyres
23rd August 2007, 11:11
looks like things are progressing and a deal is on the table to drive factory McLarens next year.

this opens up a lot of avenues for the M40 crew and McLaren.

Turkeyneck
23rd August 2007, 11:21
I would like to see Gary Paffett get a drive, he's been been with MacMerc for a while now & would be a great asset to the new team, probably wouldn't cost a fortune either.

Come on DR, give the boy a chance

Valve Bounce
23rd August 2007, 14:00
looks like things are progressing and a deal is on the table to drive factory McLarens next year.

LINK PLEASE!!

Flat.tyres
23rd August 2007, 14:38
LINK PLEASE!!

dont have one but if Im lying, Im dying ;)

Sleeper
23rd August 2007, 15:23
LINK PLEASE!!
this is the closest I could find: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40385

Flat.tyres
23rd August 2007, 15:29
this is the closest I could find: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40385

thanks sleeper.

Richards is due to announce the partnership in September but it looks like things are pretty positive. as with all these deals, you can never tell until the ink is dried but I understand that they are just finalising legal issues which could see prodrive become almost a Mclaren B team. the legal side could be resolved in a week or so but I dont know if there will be an immediate announcement.

trumperZ06
23rd August 2007, 15:36
:D Yep.... I've seen two or three news services saying that the ProDrive/McLaren agreement is a done deal.

;) Maybe Ron can park Alonso over there with Richards... that would be "interesting" !!!

Flat.tyres
23rd August 2007, 15:41
:D Yep.... I've seen two or three news services saying that the ProDrive/McLaren agreement is a done deal.

not quite but close

;) Maybe Ron can park Alonso over there with Richards... that would be "interesting" !!![/quote]

and just how do you propose getting that ego under the low bridges on the M40 :D

ioan
23rd August 2007, 16:26
I suppose it will be a deal at the moment when all the teams will agree about the customer chassis regulations from 2008 on.

Flat.tyres
23rd August 2007, 16:45
I suppose it will be a deal at the moment when all the teams will agree about the customer chassis regulations from 2008 on.

that provision is allegedly in the Concord about sharing parts and chassis between teams opening up complete free trade.

ioan
23rd August 2007, 18:59
that provision is allegedly in the Concord about sharing parts and chassis between teams opening up complete free trade.

Better said Bernie wants it to be in the new Concorde agreement but not everyone has agreed with it yet, for example FW!

GridGirl
23rd August 2007, 19:05
I would like to see Gary Paffett get a drive, he's been been with MacMerc for a while now & would be a great asset to the new team, probably wouldn't cost a fortune either.

Come on DR, give the boy a chance

Its Mercedes that are choosing the drivers as far as I can see. Prodrive aren't footing the bill, and well Mercedes get what Mercedes want.

jens
23rd August 2007, 20:44
Interesting that Prodrive will be using McLaren's 2008 chassis, so they'll have practically or almost the same machinery as McLaren itself, which turns Prodrive into a very dangerous contender - almost certainly into Constructors' Top6.

So it would be interesting to see, what can Prodrive drivers achieve compared to McLaren drivers. It looks like de la Rosa will join Prodrive, but it's still hard to believe that he'll make a comeback at the age of 38. I thought that Mansell times are over! :D

Secondly, if Alonso really can't stand the environment in McLaren, then Prodrive can be quite a conceivable option to him. He could continue driving a McLaren, but just in a different team, where he can quite possibly get #1 preference and everything else what he wants. And it would be really sweet for him to beat the Team McLaren drivers in the same machinery. I think Prodrive could be a better option than Renault, whose comeback to the top looks more doubtful.

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 02:16
Its Mercedes that are choosing the drivers as far as I can see. Prodrive aren't footing the bill, and well Mercedes get what Mercedes want.

LINK PLEASE!!

There are all sorts of hypotheses floating around here, but the way I see it, if there is a deal with Mercedes McLaren on the table, Richards wouldn't be buggerising around with two other teams. As for drivers, Mercedes McLaren can't even handle the team they've got, so why stipulate who Richards will get?

Could you guys please wake me up when the rumours are dead and the concrete is set. Thanks.

Rollo
24th August 2007, 03:50
Not even LINK PLEASE!!! is enough to convince me. Not even having cars at the track is barely enough. I remember such things as Andrea Moda and Mastercard Lola and think that unless cars turn a wheel in anger it's never a done deal.

leopard
24th August 2007, 03:57
dont have one but if Im lying, Im dying ;)

I am not buying ;)

Chamoo
24th August 2007, 04:19
which turns Prodrive into a very dangerous contender - almost certainly into Constructors' Top6.

Top 6 in Constructors wouldn't be very difficult to do.

But wait, a catch, Prodrive will not be a constructor, as they will not be constructing a chassis. Hmmm... Do their points go to McLaren as a constructor, taking the best results from McLaren chassis to the Constructors Championship, or do all of their Chassis gain points for McLaren? Or is the Constructors Championship taken away and replaced with a new Team Championship?

So many questions!

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 09:23

prodrive have 3 major sponsors on board and about £30m to buy a package so will be going to McLaren with a fair wedge.

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 10:45
prodrive have 3 major sponsors on board and about £30m to buy a package so will be going to McLaren with a fair wedge.

Yeah!! so why are they buggerising around with two other teams? I will believe it when I see the cars and the drivers actually testing the new cars on the track. Until then, this is all conjecture.

Like the doozy Leopard says: I ain't buying!!

I am evil Homer
24th August 2007, 11:46
I'm sure Paffett will be one....it was hinted at by Brundle (his manager) when he re-signed for McLaren as tester

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 13:38
Yeah!! so why are they buggerising around with two other teams? I will believe it when I see the cars and the drivers actually testing the new cars on the track. Until then, this is all conjecture.

Like the doozy Leopard says: I ain't buying!!

hey, dont buy then. keep the cheque in your pocket and post it when its confirmed. no skin off my nose buddy :)

Dave Richards has a hell of a lot of experience, including benetton and BAR in F1 as well as extensive experience outside of it. I would say that any new team that wants to attract sponsors would need a company and character like Dave to survive. that is attractive to sponsors and rumours that Prodrive may have lost their title sponsor are conjecture.

I dont know anything about the drivers but the names being punted around are Gary and Pedro. this would be very McLaren orientated and wouldnt be suprised to see another driver slot in instead.

Sleeper
24th August 2007, 16:17
First I've heard about Pedro, wouldn it be more likely to see a young driver like Paul di Resta instead?

jonny hurlock
24th August 2007, 22:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodrive_F1

what I found their is another two drivers intrested in the Alex Wurz & the most surpricing one Bruno Spengler!

jens
25th August 2007, 15:23
Bruno Spengler is another driver backed by MB and has done very well in DTM, so it can't be said that his candidacy is very surprising, although so far it might have looked like he is not seriously looking forward to join F1.

But it would be interesting to see again a Canadian in F1 after Villeneuve has left. :)