PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Grand Prix Thread

ShiftingGears
23rd August 2007, 10:00
So - we're at the Istanbul Park, which is quite an excellent circuit and has some great corners and opportunities for the cars to pass. Its a crucial championship round where Ferrari pretty much has to win, and I think its pretty lucky that the following tracks are quite fast and should favour Ferrari.

Also, the only racewinners at Turkey are Kimi and Felipe.

I predict Kimi winning with Massa second, and with so much on the line, I expect a good race.
Thoughts and predictions?

Kevincal
23rd August 2007, 16:38
Even if the Ferraris may be a bit more suited...I think the McLaren drivers have a bit more skill than the Ferrari drivers... ;) Should be really interesting. Not to mention, BMW is right there too.

jens
23rd August 2007, 21:00
After the French Grand Prix we had 4 drivers, who had scored 2 wins that far. The funny thing is that if Massa wins at Istanbul, we would have 4 drivers with 3 wins each after 12 rounds. :D So that's why I'm rooting for him at that Grand Prix. :p :

F1MAN2007
23rd August 2007, 23:21
Massa has got to win and confirm his statut in top 4 as anyone else won already 3 races this year.

leopard
24th August 2007, 04:28
Also, the only racewinners at Turkey are Kimi and Felipe.

I predict Kimi winning with Massa second, and with so much on the line, I expect a good race.
Thoughts and predictions?

Yeah, there were only two winners there because there has been only two races held there; actually it has different winner each year so this year's winner should be neither of them.

Well, the race character is supposed to much suit for Ferrari, We may need to stay on top of the result which Ferrari is to win this weekend. If they fail again, you maybe right about quality of drivers.

ioan
24th August 2007, 09:02
Massa has got to win and confirm his statut in top 4 as anyone else won already 3 races this year.

given that he is one of the 4 drivers that won races this year I don't know what there is to confirm? Should he also change his name to Phil Hamilton or what? :p :

ArrowsFA1
24th August 2007, 09:22
I think the French GP was a turning point in the competition between the two Ferrari drivers. Since then Kimi appears to have asserted himself within the team and now has the edge over Massa. But, there's only a point between them in the WDC so if Felipe can win this weekend he might be able to turn things around in his favour.

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 09:25
I think the French GP was a turning point in the competition between the two Ferrari drivers. Since then Kimi appears to have asserted himself within the team and now has the edge over Massa. But, there's only a point between them in the WDC so if Felipe can win this weekend he might be able to turn things around in his favour.

you do get the feeling that Kimi has finally slotted into the race seat of choice, dont you.

Hawkmoon
24th August 2007, 09:50
Well, with Kimi 1.2 and Massa 0.8 seconds up on the McLarens in Friday 1, I'd say this ones Ferrari's to lose.

I know it's only Friday but those gaps will probably translate into a 0.5 second advantage on Sunday. I reckon we'll have a couple of very light McLarens come Q3 tommorrow.

ArrowsFA1
24th August 2007, 09:54
Superb stuff by Rosberg to put the Williams 6th :s mokin:

Hawkmoon
24th August 2007, 10:00
Superb stuff by Rosberg to put the Williams 6th :s mokin:

Yeah, it was. That's why Sir Frank is going to have bugger-all chance of keeping the lad in the long term.

Rosberg is too quick to be running around in the midfield. Unless Williams can somehow get back to the front in the next 1 or 2 seasons I'd say Rosberg has a date with a pair of silver overalls.

Ranger
24th August 2007, 10:02
Kimi the only driver in the 1:27's, Felipe the only driver in the 1:28's. With any degree of luck (No mechanical failures), this will be the race where Ferrari get back in touch with the championship, for everyone's sake!

Given that, it IS the first Friday prac session.

Valve Bounce
24th August 2007, 10:47
Oh Bugger!! my pickems are stuffed again. :(

janneppi
24th August 2007, 11:33
Valve, when are going to learn that Ant doesn't win races this season? ;)

pino
24th August 2007, 11:40
I hope for a podium for Jarno :D

Dave B
24th August 2007, 12:41
Session 2 red flagged after 22 minutes due to a loose drain cover out on the circuit. Most of the front-runners have only done a couple of flyers, with Hamilton quickest at this early stage.

ShiftingGears
24th August 2007, 13:23
The Toyotas are looking fast! Hopefully they don't fizzle during qualifying.

pino
24th August 2007, 13:37
The Toyotas are looking fast! Hopefully they don't fizzle during qualifying.

Qualifying is not a problem, the race is :p :

Ranger
24th August 2007, 13:41
Toyota 3-4! and Ferrari seems to be at an advantage no more.

pino
24th August 2007, 13:44
Toyota 3-4! and Ferrari seems to be at an advantage no more.

Who's 3rd ? Jarno ? :D

Flat.tyres
24th August 2007, 14:00
thats quite a quick time set by Lewis

would be interesting to see the fuel load.

kimi blew it away in P1 but its comparable with Massas P1 time.

ArrowsFA1
24th August 2007, 14:00
Good stuff by Yamamoto to be right on Sutil's pace :up: Ok, it's only Spyker at the back of the grid, but still... :)

Dave B
24th August 2007, 14:18
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:28.469 28
2. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:28.762 + 0.293 21
3. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 1:28.773 + 0.304 23
4. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:28.874 + 0.405 28
5. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:28.884 + 0.415 25
6. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:28.947 + 0.478 24
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:28.995 + 0.526 27
8. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:29.025 + 0.556 28
9. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:29.093 + 0.624 27
10. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:29.368 + 0.899 31
11. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:29.435 + 0.966 12
12. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:29.456 + 0.987 28
13. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:29.792 + 1.323 30
14. Button Honda (B) 1:29.945 + 1.476 26
15. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:30.055 + 1.586 31
16. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:30.104 + 1.635 27
17. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:30.315 + 1.846 25
18. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:30.530 + 2.061 24
19. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:30.702 + 2.233 24
20. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:30.801 + 2.332 16
21. Sutil Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:31.153 + 2.684 32
22. Yamamoto Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:31.175 + 2.706 32

ioan
24th August 2007, 14:57
Who's 3rd ? Jarno ? :D

You wish! :p :

555-04Q2
24th August 2007, 15:25
It always amazes me how Toyota can do so well in pratice and quali but cant get it right during a race :s hock:

Do they fall asleep on Sundays or what :confused:

555-04Q2
24th August 2007, 15:26

Give pino a break :p : At least Jarno is ahead of a Ferrari and a Mclaren :s hock:

Kevincal
24th August 2007, 16:42
Remember this is PRACTICE people... ;) I'm sure some teams aren't pushing to the absolute limit to save the car/engine... ;) Ferrari just want to try and intimidate McLaren... We'll see tomorrow. :)

Easy Drifter
24th August 2007, 17:38
Watch Honda advance to the rear.

jens
24th August 2007, 18:02
Toyota has been quick in FPs in the last few events, so I can't see anything surprising there. It looks like their method to make some "qualifiers" in FP2 in order to prepare for the rest of the weekend. But whatever the pace in reality is, in Toyota's case there are always two issues that I remain sceptical about: reliability and strategy (especially in critical situations). If one car finishes the race and in the points, which would also enable them to close the gap on Williams and Red Bull, then it would be some kind of an achievement for them.

ioan
24th August 2007, 18:25
Remember this is PRACTICE people... ;) I'm sure some teams aren't pushing to the absolute limit to save the car/engine... ;) Ferrari just want to try and intimidate McLaren... We'll see tomorrow. :)

And remember that they don't use the same engines Friday as Saturday and Sunday!

Kevincal
25th August 2007, 00:32
I forgot again...lol. :P Damn all these rules! ;)

Valve Bounce
25th August 2007, 03:37
Valve, when are going to learn that Ant doesn't win races this season? ;)

I picked a McLaren 1-2 :(

pino
25th August 2007, 07:12

We will see today ;)

pino
25th August 2007, 12:25
Ralf out already :s

ioan
25th August 2007, 12:27
Not even as fast as in the morning testing session.

pino
25th August 2007, 12:29
Not even as fast as in the morning testing session.

Typical Toyota....I pray for Jarno now :s

Dave B
25th August 2007, 12:49
Typical Toyota....I pray for Jarno now :s

It worked :D

Ian McC
25th August 2007, 12:52
Great performance by Ant :D

Dave B
25th August 2007, 12:53
Davidson's "**** or bust" lap was awesome :D

pino
25th August 2007, 12:53
It worked :D

I will pray again then :p : btw ital tv told Ralf had break-problems on last attempt to qualify...

Valve Bounce
25th August 2007, 13:04
McLaren deploying a two box pit to avoid the Hungary stall.

Ian McC
25th August 2007, 13:12
Looks like Alonso made an error going onto hard tyres for that last run.

pino
25th August 2007, 13:15
Congrats to Massa, great final lap :up:

Ian McC
25th August 2007, 13:20
Hamilton will be very happy, with Kimi between him and Alonso.

ioan
25th August 2007, 13:22
Hamilton will be very happy, with Kimi between him and Alonso.

As long as Kimi doesn't go past him into the first corner!

Valve Bounce
25th August 2007, 13:30
As long as Kimi doesn't go past him into the first corner!

Which is quite likely as Kimi is on the faster side of the track behind Massa.

tinchote
25th August 2007, 14:10
Looks like Alonso made an error going onto hard tyres for that last run.

But if I'm not wrong, that has to do with the tyre choice for the first stint in the race? Maybe he made the right choice, we'll see tomorrow.

Ian McC
25th August 2007, 14:29
But if I'm not wrong, that has to do with the tyre choice for the first stint in the race? Maybe he made the right choice, we'll see tomorrow.

Good point Tin, you may well be right.

jens
25th August 2007, 15:48
FM and KR continue driving very similar lap times separated by fractions and even those are often created by minor errors one or the other one has made on his flier as we saw today. But it's still possible to see Massa becoming fourth driver with three wins this year.

A great performance by Davidson and he has been very impressive in qualifyings in the second half of the season, but he indeed looks to be better over one lap than over a full race distance. Therefore he might remind Trulli. Toyota expectedly back there in usual position - at the end of Top10. Newey and combo also can do nothing better with Red Bull than a couple of good performances per season.

And it was fun to see Theissen grinning when both of his drivers set absolutely equal time in Q2. :D

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 00:56
A great performance by Davidson and he has been very impressive in qualifyings in the second half of the season, but he indeed looks to be better over one lap than over a full race distance. . :D

Well, he was doing OK in Canada until he ran into that groundhog. :eek:
But how you expect him to do that great in a second hand Honda in a budget team over race distance is something that I'd like to know. Would you expect him to beat Renault, Williams, Red Bull, BMW, ???

wmcot
26th August 2007, 08:58
Well, he was doing OK in Canada until he ran into that groundhog. :eek:
But how you expect him to do that great in a second hand Honda in a budget team over race distance is something that I'd like to know. Would you expect him to beat Renault, Williams, Red Bull, BMW, ???

Just out of curiosity, do they have groundhogs or similar creatures in Turkey???

(BTW - We had a good-sized jack rabbit running around the infield here at the ALMS race. Luckily it stayed away from the racing surface - could have been messy!)

wmcot
26th August 2007, 09:00
McLaren deploying a two box pit to avoid the Hungary stall.

I thought the teams had to use ONE box? Or did they use one box with 2 pit crews? (I haven't watched qualifying yet.)

Either way it's got to be a sign of how well the drivers are getting along and/or how much they trust each other.

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 11:28
I thought the teams had to use ONE box? Or did they use one box with 2 pit crews? (I haven't watched qualifying yet.)

Either way it's got to be a sign of how well the drivers are getting along and/or how much they trust each other.

I found the comment here: http://www.formula1.com/services/live_timing/live_timing.html

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 11:41
Bunsen to start from back of grid. Just when things look like they couldn't get any worse, ....................

Giuseppe F1
26th August 2007, 12:38
For all ITV viewers out there - ive just missed the first 30mins of the pre-show today - i just turned on when Louise Goodman was interviewing Anthony Davidson, so can anyone please tell me what I missed please?

Hopefully it was just 30mins of the Alonso/Hamilton debate!

Thanks in advance

Giuseppe F1

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 12:48
For all ITV viewers out there - ive just missed the first 30mins of the pre-show today - i just turned on when Louise Goodman was interviewing Anthony Davidson, so can anyone please tell me what I missed please?

Hopefully it was just 30mins of the Alonso/Hamilton debate!

Thanks in advance

Giuseppe F1

Well, if they were interviewing ant, then you didn't miss anything. ;)

Dave B
26th August 2007, 13:11
Sadly ITV have just treated us to an hour of the Lewis Hamilton show :s

tinchote
26th August 2007, 14:04
Sadly ITV have just treated us to an hour of the Lewis Hamilton show :s

At least you didn't have to wake up at 5am to watch that ;)

Hendersen
26th August 2007, 14:51
Good to see the "flat spotting tire master" pay for his two-bit driving again. I wonder if Mclaren will blame it again on a mechanical failure instead of their mascot's driving. :rolleyes:

wedge
26th August 2007, 15:09
What a terrible race....

VkmSpouge
26th August 2007, 15:23
Massa did very well today, Kimi cost himself victory in qualifying. Ferrari have an advantage on McLaren but Hamilton might have been able to nick second from Raikkonen. Shame about the blow out for Hamilton but those things happen, at least it leaves a very close World Championship now.
I felt Hekki Kovalainen drove very well today to get 6th place. I also have to question BMW Sauber's pitstop strategy, they were always on for a loser with that one and so it proved with Nico Rosberg beating Robert Kubica home for 7th.
I think Jenson Button did good today, he provided most of the overtaking (pity the director didn't show it all).

ioan
26th August 2007, 15:27
Ferrari have an advantage on McLaren but Hamilton might have been able to nick second from Raikkonen.

Not without a magic wand! :rolleyes:

I think Jenson Button did good today, he provided most of the overtaking (pity the director didn't show it all).

Than how do you know how much overtaking he did :?:

Hendersen
26th August 2007, 15:28
Massa did very well today, Kimi cost himself victory in qualifying. Ferrari have an advantage on McLaren but Hamilton might have been able to nick second from Raikkonen. Shame about the blow out for Hamilton but those things happen, at least it leaves a very close World Championship now.
I felt Hekki Kovalainen drove very well today to get 6th place. I also have to question BMW Sauber's pitstop strategy, they were always on for a loser with that one and so it proved with Nico Rosberg beating Robert Kubica home for 7th.

How is BMW's fault that Kubica tried to go ultra light to shave off some time in qualifying? He has fans that need to be continualy misled, just like the dirty cheat Hamilton.

ArrowsFA1
26th August 2007, 15:43
For a circuit that is supposed to be good for racing, we saw precious little of it today. Massa did what he's good at - winning from pole - and Kimi settled for second. Although Hamilton had wasn't able to challenge the Ferrari's he had third in the bag, and a shot at 2nd, before the puncture. Alonso was rather fortunate to end up third, although that has made for an even more interesting WDC. BMW did much as expected, as did Webber's Red Bull!

The bright spark for me was Kovalianen who drove a great race :up: as did Button who, despite Honda's best efforts, is still able to show what he could do if they ever get things right. Barrichello raised a laugh, as did Toyota (again).

Hopefully, Monza and Spa will give us better races.

jas123f1
26th August 2007, 16:05
What a terrible race....

Yeah it really was a bit boring - Ferrari was so much better today and the race was over almost before the first lap was finished. Massa was in the lead and it was easy for him to keep the top especially when it was Kimi who was behind him and it wasn't allowed to start figting against a team mate.. I'm sure Kimi was a bit boring tot and "freshen up" the situation a bit doing the fastest lap at of the race and … zzzZzZZZZ :s nore:

janneppi
26th August 2007, 16:26
It looked almost sure Massa was going to win the race when Kimi entered the pits before him for the first time, Kimi should have needed that pole to have a chance of win the race.

While one shouldn't really hope misfortunes on other drivers, i can't say I'm unhappy for what happened to Lewis, even if it messes my pickems. :p :

jens
26th August 2007, 16:50
Hooray, I'm very happy for Felipe! :bounce: Now we indeed do have four drivers with three wins. :D Kimi's 2nd place is also positive, it enables Ferrari to close the gap in the WCC. :up: Feel sorry for Hamilton. He was faster than Alonso again, but... is it again going that way that the unluck of rivals will give Alonso the title???

And I can't understand, why on earth is it so that whenever there is a start accident, then usually Trulli is also somehow involved in that. I'm gradually getting a feeling that he'll never finish in the points again. :s

janneppi
26th August 2007, 17:03
Most accidents happen in the midpack, where Trulli usually is in the beginning. ;)

VkmSpouge
26th August 2007, 17:09
Not without a magic wand! :rolleyes:

I'm inclined to agree Hamilton wouldn't have got Raikkonen but he did have a chance, though a pretty slim one.

Than how do you know how much overtaking he did :?:

Very easy. When they cut to Button he appeared ahead of the car he had been behind previously. At least they showed a replay of him passing Barrichello.

How is BMW's fault that Kubica tried to go ultra light to shave off some time in qualifying?

Well BMW would have had to agree the race fuel load with Kubica so both share the blame for the decision.

aryan
26th August 2007, 18:02
I guess it was a boring race for anyone but die-hard tiffosi. No overtaking at the front, dismal luck for Hamilton....

I think this championship is going Ferrari's route, if they can hold up the reliability.

The only bright spark of the race was Heikki. And the Honda radio.

tinchote
26th August 2007, 18:42
The race was not that bad. I went downstairs with a good book, and I enjoyed the reading a lot :D

markabilly
26th August 2007, 18:51
Turkey was boring race---- only thing I watch live is qualifying...a bit more excitement and pretty much determines who will win, absent busted car...just tape the race for time right to go to bed...puts me to sleep quite nicely

Bernie says he hopes you enjoyed his race from his circuit

Kevincal
26th August 2007, 21:24
Only exciting part of the race is when Hamilton's tire blew. That was quite unexpected. He did do a good job getting back to the pits and getting 5th.

call_me_andrew
26th August 2007, 22:17
I didn't watch the race, but from what I gather, it's better that I didn't.

Why did this happen the race after I drop Massa from my fantasy racing in favor of Hamilton?

Blackburn Buccaneer
26th August 2007, 23:15

i am extremely happy for massa: in the end, good things happen to good people. I don't know him personally, but he seems like a nice person.
That incident with him and alonzo, bothered the hell outta me.
So, well done massa.

Schnell
26th August 2007, 23:20
Just out of curiosity, do they have groundhogs or similar creatures in Turkey???

(BTW - We had a good-sized jack rabbit running around the infield here at the ALMS race. Luckily it stayed away from the racing surface - could have been messy!)

YEAH!...It's called a 'Fisicareless'...they drive into you and derange your suspension after they have nudged cars into a spin at turn one! They are very similar to the creatures that attack rear suspensions in Hungary!

Last year a 'Fisicareless' caused an accident in the same turn that eliminated Kimi and Speed!

They ought to be culled I say!

Timber
27th August 2007, 01:01
Turkey was boring race---- only thing I watch live is qualifying...a bit more excitement and pretty much determines who will win, absent busted car...just tape the race for time right to go to bed...puts me to sleep quite nicely

Bernie says he hopes you enjoyed his race from his circuit

Welcome to the new F1 races , brought you by Bernie and Mark !!!!!!!!!

mstillhere
27th August 2007, 04:36
I personally really enjoyed the race, since Ferrari won. It's actually when wins McLaren that I find it boring. :)

wmcot
27th August 2007, 07:00
And I can't understand, why on earth is it so that whenever there is a start accident, then usually Trulli is also somehow involved in that. I'm gradually getting a feeling that he'll never finish in the points again. :s

I was thinking that it was always Ralf that was involved...