PDA

View Full Version : DIY

Hazell B
21st August 2007, 19:45
Doing it yourself (not that!) can be fun, honest.

However, when I go to see how my partner's getting on with a new building he's putting up and notice he's forgotten the entire damp proof course ... it's a bit less fun :mark:

What's your worst DIY disaster? :eek:

LotusElise
21st August 2007, 21:54
The bookcase at my old flat was, technically, put together upside down, although I couldn't see what difference it would have made if it was the other way up.
I also nearly incapacitated myself with chlorine gas by using too much Cillit Bang, but that's more cleaning than DIY.

Dave B
21st August 2007, 22:13
Put the DPC on the top row. After all, rain falls down, not up.

:p

LeonBrooke
21st August 2007, 22:38
I've glued my hands together hundreds of times while assembling model cars. And, while assembling my Porsche 962 I got a bit of glue on the windscreen so I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to smother it completely in glue so the stain wouldn't show up. I didn't realise that the glue dries opaque ;( No chance of driving it legally on the road now...

Donney
22nd August 2007, 10:22
I don't remember right now but I often make a mess of any DIY thinggy around.

Caroline
22nd August 2007, 12:06
We are in kitchen chaos at the moment. The wallpaper is stripped, we have filled the walls, sanded, refilled, sanded again, painted and today I am glossing. I hate painting with gloss paint as the fumes are horrible. The oven and the fridgefreezer are free standing in the middle of the kitchen and the rest of the stuff is spread about the house. New stuff to assemble is stored in the lounge. Can't wait to finish.

Then on to the work in the garden :mark:

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 12:21
Doing it yourself (not that!) can be fun, honest.

However, when I go to see how my partner's getting on with a new building he's putting up and notice he's forgotten the entire damp proof course ... it's a bit less fun :mark:

No such problems for our shed. Caroline's brother is an engineer who's going to be doing some work on Heathrow and he built the foundations for our shed and we are thankfully damp proofed quite well :) The foundations are just slightly overengineered shall we say :D

Dave B
22nd August 2007, 13:58
So does your shed look like a miniature Terminal 5? :p

The nearest I've come to DIY disaster is discovering that a mains cable which should have been deep underground and well protected is, in fact, about 6 inches beneath the section of lawn I was digging up. :eek:

jim mcglinchey
22nd August 2007, 15:27
The foundations are just slightly overengineered shall we say :D

Most everything that engineers specify is overengineered, they're just covering their arses, then someone else can pick up the tab.

schmenke
22nd August 2007, 15:29
Most everything that engineers specify is overengineered, they're just covering their arses, then someone else can pick up the tab.

Not true :)

555-04Q2
22nd August 2007, 15:46

Everytime I use a hammer. I might as well be blind the way I hit my fingers instead of the bloody nail :(

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 15:48
I've never had the problem. A couple of taps first to get the point into the wood and then some bigger taps to get it a bit further in and then I take away my fingers and give it a good whacking :p

555-04Q2
22nd August 2007, 16:04
I've never had the problem. A couple of taps first to get the point into the wood and then some bigger taps to get it a bit further in and then I take away my fingers and give it a good whacking :p

Aaahhhh, you have to take your fingers away :?: Now I get it :p : Sore finger no more :D

jim mcglinchey
22nd August 2007, 18:59
Not true :)

well, thats what I usually do. heh, heh.

Dave B
22nd August 2007, 19:27
To quote Jack Dee...

I can't get along with those crinkle-cut nails. "Screws", I think they're called...

Ian McC
22nd August 2007, 20:10
I am building a wall! I am confident that, when finished, it will be able to be seen from space! :D

J4MIE
22nd August 2007, 20:48
I am building a wall! I am confident that, when finished, it will be able to be seen from space! :D

The height was meant to be in millimeters!! :p :

DIY is cool but it's a lot easier to put it off until another day :up:

Ian McC
22nd August 2007, 20:54
The height was meant to be in millimeters!! :p :

Size isn't everything mate :mad:

:p :

Hazell B
22nd August 2007, 21:53
Mr McC, I'm seriously feeling pride in you at the moment (a whole new feeling :p : ) and I'm especially looking forward to selling you the shrubs, grasses and climbers to go behind your new wall ;) I'll even do you wholesale on some nice box hedges!

Today's set back in the new building is the door's been placed about 10cm too far to one side for my random stone face wall to work out as planned :mark: Never known him indoors to make such a mess of something. D'you think he's trying to weasel out of future building projects? :s

Drew
22nd August 2007, 22:45
I just put together a BBQ, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself.

That about covers my ability :p :

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 23:05
You're ****ing me Drew. I just put a Weber barbeque together tonight :D

Iain
22nd August 2007, 23:36
I built a hi-fi unit at school for my Standard Grade project and when I took it home after 3 months of work, I discovered my hi-fi was too big for it. :o

I quite like DIY, as I have been doing a wee bit of it lately. I've got the enthusiasm for it, but absolutely zero confidence. I'm scared I'm gonna go through a pipe or something or mess up somehow, especially as it's not my property I'm working on. :p :

schmenke
23rd August 2007, 14:52
... I'm scared I'm gonna go through a pipe or something or mess up somehow, especially as it's not my property I'm working on. :p :

My attitude is, "If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyways." :p :

Hazell B
23rd August 2007, 19:42
I'm scared I'm gonna go through a pipe or something or mess up somehow, especially as it's not my property I'm working on. :p :

You should invest in one of those gizmos that tells you what's live or wet under plasterwork. We got one for under a tenner, but only after 'im indoors had drilled through an electrical cable and blasted himself half way across the room with his hair all on end :p :

It was ruddy funny :laugh:

Ian McC
23rd August 2007, 19:55
Mr McC, I'm seriously feeling pride in you at the moment (a whole new feeling :p : ) and I'm especially looking forward to selling you the shrubs, grasses and climbers to go behind your new wall ;) I'll even do you wholesale on some nice box hedges!

I am certainly not letting you anywhere near my wife, it will cost me a bloody fortune! :mad:

Hazell B
23rd August 2007, 19:57
McC, you know it makes sense ;)

Anyway, as Oily will tell you, I'm cheap :p :

Iain
24th August 2007, 16:20
You should invest in one of those gizmos that tells you what's live or wet under plasterwork. We got one for under a tenner, but only after 'im indoors had drilled through an electrical cable and blasted himself half way across the room with his hair all on end :p :

I did get one, but I'm still a bit unsure about it. :mark:

Can I just say, No More Nails is rubbish. :p : :(

Ian McC
24th August 2007, 19:54
McC, you know it makes sense ;)

Anyway, as Oily will tell you, I'm cheap :p :

Well it's just handy you're not local ;)

Hazell B
26th August 2007, 22:19
Iain, take it back to where you bought it and if they've any decent staff they can show you exactly how it works. It may be faulty if you're not getting a very loud and obvious squeal when passing over live wires. All DIY stores, even B&Q types, have a duty to explain their wares and do it all the time, so don't be shy to ask. I once saw somebody ask how to hold a trowel and the assistant didn't so much as raise an eyelid at such a thick-sounding question.

McC, I can be local. Passing your place in a few weeks as it happens :p :