PDA

View Full Version : What's with new cars nowadays????

Luffield
21st August 2007, 09:31
I'm only asking as unfortunately for the second time in a month my own car has had to go back to the shop to have a fault fixed again after it re appeared.

The first time I was given a brand new Corsa CDTi (no idea what engine size) to use and the turbo lag was horrendous (if not dangerous even!!) No acceleration at all below 2000rpm and then it would take off like it had just been fired from a shotgun!!!!

This time around they've given me another new Corsa, but a 1.2 petrol version and it's as flat as a pancake. There's just no life in it at all.

I know neither car has been run in yet, but if i'd bought either of these I would be handing it back.

I'm hoping that these two cars (as short a life as they've had) have just been thrashed (they are courtesy cars after all) but I can't help but wonder if that's what new cars are like now.

GridGirl
21st August 2007, 19:16
My mum's just bought a petrol 1.2 Corsa. I've told her its bland and boring. She says she don't care she's getting old and its very economical before moaning about having to pay £350 for metalic paint.

speedy king
22nd August 2007, 00:50
Not a fan of new cars.

Couple of months back i had a company Fiesta, 56 plate, fantastic handling car, top marks for road grip but for a modern 1.5 TDI......no umph, it cruised happily at an illegal speed around the magical 100 mark but accleration wise, nothing there, like Luffield used the term 'flat as a pancake'. Had a nasty problem that when you pushed the throttle there was about a half second delay on any life at all, not even turbo lag, fuel lag :s Compared to my private car i had sat on the drive, a 10 year old 306 1.9DTurbo, that FLEW, still regret selling that, it sounded like a tractor but the umph that had, surprised alot of people in their 1.6's and 1.8 petrols....i thought a modern TDI would be similar power.....obviously not...

Mark
22nd August 2007, 08:21
Fiesta's come in 1.4TDCi and 1.6TDCi, no 1.5TDi that I'm aware of :s .

Ford's diesel engines aren't actually made by Ford, they are made by PSA (i.e. Peugeot :p )

speedy king
22nd August 2007, 13:43
Must have been a 1.4 then, surely not a 1.6 :s other than that, top car

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 13:51
Not a fan of new cars.

Couple of months back i had a company Fiesta, 56 plate, fantastic handling car, top marks for road grip but for a modern 1.5 TDI......no umph, it cruised happily at an illegal speed around the magical 100 mark but accleration wise, nothing there, like Luffield used the term 'flat as a pancake'. Had a nasty problem that when you pushed the throttle there was about a half second delay on any life at all, not even turbo lag, fuel lag :s Compared to my private car i had sat on the drive, a 10 year old 306 1.9DTurbo, that FLEW, still regret selling that, it sounded like a tractor but the umph that had, surprised alot of people in their 1.6's and 1.8 petrols....i thought a modern TDI would be similar power.....obviously not...

The old PSA 1.9 turbo diesel (the one in your 306) which I have in my 406 is a lively engine. I'm told the newer 406's with the 2l HDI engines are faster but smoother and you don't get the lump of torque that the older engine would give all in one go. It's smoother and doesn't feel like it's working as hard. Irritating thing is that in 5th it only really starts to come on when you're doing about 75 or 80 or so :mark:

555-04Q2
22nd August 2007, 15:51
The trouble with new cars is they are getting too advanced for their own good. When you make a complicated product like a motorcar in the fastest and cheapest possible way, they get worse and worse. The more electronics and mechanics that are crammed into it, the more that can go wrong :(

Gone are the days of fixing your car on the side of the road with a Coke can and a piece of wire. You now need diagnostic machines or laptop computers etc etc :down:

Hondo
23rd August 2007, 10:46
There is no replacement for displacement. If you want more power, get a bigger engine. Trying to get economy and power on demand from a small engine requires higher technology and puts a huge dent in reliability.

Yeah, your little 1.whatever will get right lively when the turbo spools up but when it pukes it's little blower out you'd better have some serious money stashed away to fix it. Been there, done that. Car didn't run worth a damn without that turbo. A decent v-6 or v-8 can deliver decent mileage if driven sensibly and when additional power is needed, those engines can deliver it without straining themselves.

Daniel
23rd August 2007, 11:02
There is no replacement for displacement. If you want more power, get a bigger engine. Trying to get economy and power on demand from a small engine requires higher technology and puts a huge dent in reliability.

Yeah, your little 1.whatever will get right lively when the turbo spools up but when it pukes it's little blower out you'd better have some serious money stashed away to fix it. Been there, done that. Car didn't run worth a damn without that turbo. A decent v-6 or v-8 can deliver decent mileage if driven sensibly and when additional power is needed, those engines can deliver it without straining themselves.
I'd disagree :) Caroline's Subaru Legacy Turbo is 13 years old and has 180,000 miles on the clock and runs very well and can outpace bigger engined cars quite easily due to the fact it's not lugging a big v8 around. Exchange turbo only costs £400 or so and a second hand one is about £130 :)

Hondo
23rd August 2007, 11:13
I'd disagree :) Caroline's Subaru Legacy Turbo is 13 years old and has 180,000 miles on the clock and runs very well and can outpace bigger engined cars quite easily due to the fact it's not lugging a big v8 around. Exchange turbo only costs £400 or so and a second hand one is about £130 :)

They both have their uses. In my Nissan Titan, I can haul in comfort, 5 adults with the ac blowing full tilt boogey, up and down the mountains of Arkansas, towing a 4500 pound boat and that v-8 isn't even working hard.

Daniel
23rd August 2007, 11:24
Definitely :) Don't try to tow with something with a small engine :)

Drew
23rd August 2007, 13:22
Definitely :) Don't try to tow with something with a small engine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydezU00KLus

Daniel
23rd August 2007, 13:23
I haven't clicked on that link but I know what it is ;)

wedge
23rd August 2007, 14:53
New cars have extra weight to strengthen the chassis under impact, not to mention the CD player, air-con, electronic windows, sat-nav and other in-car gadgets add extra weight.

A shame we don't get good homologation cars anymore(?) like the Peugeot 106/306 Rallye and Citroen C2 GT which had the bare essentials.

Hondo
23rd August 2007, 17:36
New cars have extra weight to strengthen the chassis under impact, not to mention the CD player, air-con, electronic windows, sat-nav and other in-car gadgets add extra weight.

A shame we don't get good homologation cars anymore(?) like the Peugeot 106/306 Rallye and Citroen C2 GT which had the bare essentials.

People won't buy them. Time was, most "true sports cars" came from England or Europe. It was accepted that these cars would have few comforts, harsh rides, and would demand frequent tinkering and maintenance. In a twisted sort of way, that was part of the fun of them, man bonding with, and becoming one with his machine. When Datsun brought out the 240Z, the whole game came to a crashing end. Here was a stylish sports car with air conditioning, power options, comfort, and demanded nothing from it's owner besides gas and oil. Within a few years it was all over.

I tell you it was a black day when something as plain and boxey as a low end, stock Nissan Sentra would out perform a Triumph Spitfire in all it's timeless beauty.

I'm going to go cry now.