PDA

View Full Version : Taxi

CarlMetro
20th August 2007, 12:29
Around my local area most of them are ageing Mondeos or Toyota Carinas, usually driven by Asians, most of which you wouldn't get into unless you're drunk.

However, whilst loading up my gear late on Saturday night outside a hotel near Windsor I spotted a rather nice looking black BMW 760Li on a 56 plate, price when new around £85k depending on spec. Nothing unusual about seeing one around those parts, apart from the small fact that it had a Hackney carriage licence plate next to the rear number plate.

Having spent a fair bit of time in Germany I got quite used to seeing E Class Mercs as taxis but I've never seen a posher taxi in the UK than the one I saw on Saturday.

Anyone beat that?

Daniel
20th August 2007, 13:25
I've seen an Enzo taxi

Oh wait no I haven't :D

Drew
20th August 2007, 17:04
Every taxi in Cyprus is pretty much a Merc. I don't understand why though :\

janneppi
20th August 2007, 18:41
Quite a lot of taxis here are e-class Mercs, lot of Volvo V70's too.

schmenke
20th August 2007, 21:19
The taxi of choice around here is typically the big Ford Crown Victoria, invariabley in need of some combination of new shocks/struts/brakes/tyres/wheel alignment/steering alignment/driver :mark:

LiamM
20th August 2007, 21:54
One of our local firms has some SSanyong Rodiuses (Rodii?)

Brown, Jon Brow
20th August 2007, 22:01
One of our local firms has some SSanyong Rodiuses (Rodii?)

Good Lord :eek:

:s hock:

Mark
20th August 2007, 22:02
Skoda superbs are quite popular here. They look like nice cars.

BeansBeansBeans
21st August 2007, 08:52

They certainly are.

It's reached the point where everytime I see a Skoda Superb I just assume it's a taxi.

Donney
21st August 2007, 10:33
Here the popular taxi is a Skoda, some sort of Merc or a Seat Altea.

MadCat
22nd August 2007, 09:37
Not long ago I saw a Chrysler 300C as a Taxi. Think it was in Bath.

Round here they are just the usual crappy taxi's most/all of which are falling apart.

Flat.tyres
22nd August 2007, 13:07
I was sitting outside a cafe in Pisa and decided that it was time to wander home so I glanced over at the Taxi rank. there was a crappy fiat and some dodgy old POS that I cant even remember now but I thought "what the hell" and walked over.

when I arrived, after lamenting my bad luck on missing out on the new shiney Merc that had preceeded these two carbuncles, I found that neither had a driver in and waited. feeling a bit peeved, I noticed 2 loathsome chappies staring at me from another cafe and wondered what their problem was, when suddenly a brand new Mondeo turned up and deposited 2 happy campers on the curb.

right, I though, hop into this one, which I did, and we preceeded down the cobbled road and started to head out of town. suddenly, all hell broke lose on the radio and Ben Hur took a left, left and left again to bring us back to the square where he preceeded to have an almighty row with the two geezers in the cafe. I'm not joking, there was cornetos and handbags and bits of pasta everywhere by the time this lot had finished and we ended up screeching out of the square on on our merry way home.

from my limited Itallian, i concluded that the 2 surely gentlemen owned the other equally surely vehicles and accused my man of pinching their fare. serves the buggers right :D

555-04Q2
22nd August 2007, 16:01
The taxi's over here are all Toyota's that are driven by madmen who ignore red robots, stop signs, pedestrian crossings etc and have 25 odd terrified passengers hanging on for dear life :(

Iain
22nd August 2007, 23:14

Special deals for taxi drivers on those and Octavias. :) Superb is a big car in the back, ideal for a taxi, although my dad's friend has one for a taxi and is thinking of changing it, as he feels it's not hard wearing enough for all the getting in and out.

fandango
29th August 2007, 08:58
I was sitting outside a cafe in Pisa and decided that it was time to wander home so I glanced over at the Taxi rank. there was a crappy fiat and some dodgy old POS that I cant even remember now but I thought "what the hell" and walked over.

when I arrived, after lamenting my bad luck on missing out on the new shiney Merc that had preceeded these two carbuncles, I found that neither had a driver in and waited. feeling a bit peeved, I noticed 2 loathsome chappies staring at me from another cafe and wondered what their problem was, when suddenly a brand new Mondeo turned up and deposited 2 happy campers on the curb.

right, I though, hop into this one, which I did, and we preceeded down the cobbled road and started to head out of town. suddenly, all hell broke lose on the radio and Ben Hur took a left, left and left again to bring us back to the square where he preceeded to have an almighty row with the two geezers in the cafe. I'm not joking, there was cornetos and handbags and bits of pasta everywhere by the time this lot had finished and we ended up screeching out of the square on on our merry way home.

from my limited Itallian, i concluded that the 2 surely gentlemen owned the other equally surely vehicles and accused my man of pinching their fare. serves the buggers right :D

It does indeed. In Barcelona you're allowed, as the customer, to reject the taxi at the front of the queue if you think it's dirty, or if it doesn't have aircon, or just if you feel like it (although saying you don't like the colour would be taking it a bit far). So they're almost all clean and in very good nick. The Seat Toledo is the most popular model.

Mark
29th August 2007, 09:02
Are you allowed to do that in the UK or Ireland. Because there have been many occasions when I've wanted to!

Dublin airport last year, second taxi in the queue was an '06 reg Merc, spotless. But we ended up with an H reg Cavileer, dirtiest car I've ever seen in my entire life ;( . You could write your name in the dust on the dashboard, I don't think it had ever been cleaned :s

Captain VXR
29th August 2007, 12:15
In Bath there are a lot of Superbs, 406s are common too.The poshest cabs are 300cs (like what MadCat saw - was the reg AL55TAR?) and 30 year old merc limos. In Poland you are likely to get a Skoda, an old Merc, a newer merc or a Daewoo Lanos
Edit - unlucky Schmenke :p
http://y2u.co.uk/Classic_Car/Photo_caq/Cl_Ford_Crown_Victoria_Taxi.jpg
Edit 2 - typical Polish Taxi
http://www.taxi.com.pl/obrazki/auto2.jpg
http://arbiter.pl/files/g/1_7927_294_9497_.jpg

Drew
29th August 2007, 18:35
Taxis here seem to be Skoda Octavias or Mondeos

LeonBrooke
30th August 2007, 04:08
Here they're mostly Holden Commodores or Ford Falcons, or old Toyotas or Nissans. The best taxi I've ever been in was a long wheelbase Ford Falcon which had nice leather seats. I've found that the Holdens aren't very good because the ride is very harsh, so I try to take either a Ford, or the closest one that isn't a Holden.

BDunnell
31st August 2007, 00:20
I've tended to find that in mainland Europe taxi drivers are less arsey than a lot over here are if you go to any other cab in the rank than the first one.

In Berlin a couple of times I have been driven in a fairly new Merc S-class taxi, but that's as good as it's got for me.

MadCat
31st August 2007, 15:21
(like what MadCat saw - was the reg AL55TAR?)

I think it might've been. Either that or a 07 reg.

Captain VXR
31st August 2007, 17:42
I think it might've been. Either that or a 07 reg.

Either way pretty cool drug dealer spec cab

KILOHMUNNS
31st August 2007, 20:54
We are lucky enough to have one company that mainly has Merc's :p But most of them are a least 10 years old :laugh:

nicemms
31st August 2007, 21:47
In the morley/ leeds area the taxi of choice is a Toyota Avensis! I have seen a new Honda Accord as a taxi but never anything as flash as a merc!

When I was in Barcelona all the taxis seemed to be Skoda Octavias or Seat Toledos.

GridGirl
4th September 2007, 08:22
Ohhh I bought my car in Morley. :D

Alot of taxi's are Skoda's due to Skoda giving unlimitited mileage warranty at some point a few years ago.

Daniel
4th September 2007, 11:32
I used to live in Morley.

In Perth :p

Mark
4th September 2007, 12:08
Ohhh I bought my car in Morley. :D

I was persuded to buy my car in Morley, but in the end I bought it in Dunston :p

OOh, and as of today it's fully paid off :cool:

GridGirl
4th September 2007, 13:47
Mark, its paid off now... untill you go back to Morley to get a deal on another new one. :p