PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific

A.F.F.
16th August 2007, 22:33
Finally.

That much I can say :) The long waited sequal to the Band of Brothers will see daylight 2009. :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

I don't know about you guys and gals but IMO Band of Brothers is the best mini-series ever. If The Pacific turns out to be even half as good, I'm in sevent heaven, meaning on the roof of Stockmann department store :D

jim mcglinchey
16th August 2007, 23:10
Yeah, I really, really enjoyed BoB's. I'd read the book a few years back not knowing that Spielberg was producing a TV series and I couldnt believe it when the trailers appeared on BBC 2 one night. They did a great job.

I notice the top name in the cast of The Pacific is Eugene Sledge who wrote " With the Old Breed at Pelelieu and Okinawa" which is a great first person account of those battles. Other famous names like Manila John Basilone, who fought and died at Iwo, and Robert Leckie, who has written alot of books on the subject, appear in the cast too. Im looking forward to it.

maxu05
17th August 2007, 01:50
Excellent news. My wife and I have BoB's on DVD and we have watched it about 5 times and love it. We can't wait to see Pacific, should be good. I wonder if Tom Hanks is involved with this one.

Sleeper
17th August 2007, 02:16
Fantastic news, I loved Band of Brothers.

janneppi
17th August 2007, 06:44
Finally.

That much I can say :) The long waited sequal to the Band of Brothers will see daylight 2009. :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

I don't know about you guys and gals but IMO Band of Brothers is the best mini-series ever.
It's the second best, just after Das Boot. :p :

But great news anyway, maybe now they can put the correct track wheels on enemy tanks. :D

oily oaf
17th August 2007, 07:10

But great news anyway, maybe now they can put the correct track wheels on enemy tanks. :D

Ah yes Das Boot was absolutely superb. Gripping, claustrophobic and moving.
Band of Brothers too was quality drama and if the sequel is on a par with the original we're in for a treat.

Daniel
17th August 2007, 08:07

I've recently bought Das Boot on DVD. Only problem is finding a spare 16 hours in which to watch it :p

I've only seen little bits of Band of Brothers but I like very much :D I hope this is just as good :)

J4MIE
17th August 2007, 11:17
Great news :D :up:

airshifter
20th August 2007, 19:00
This should be excellent to watch.

I spent a year on Okinawa while in the Marines. Part of the orientation tour is the cliffs to the south where many Japanese jumped to their deaths rather than face defeat. Between that and dealing with the terrain for just training purposes, it gave a good idea of how difficult it must have been to be on those island under those circumstances.

Simply surviving a combat situation in those conditions would be a brutal way to exist for any period of time, regardless of which side of the battle you were on.

Here's to hoping that the younger generations will never endure such things again.

janneppi
20th August 2007, 19:49
As belonging to the same group of shows, i'll continue with the Russian show

The Penal Battalion http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0425715/
It has been the show for me this summer, despite inot as professionally made, having strong nationalistic hints and some other small faults, it's very refreshing to see a new outlook on WW2

If you can see past the problems, give it a try, it's worth it.

Mark
20th August 2007, 22:01
BoB is on "on-demand" at the moment. Don't know if I want to watch it again. It was pretty intense.

Schultz
21st August 2007, 04:18
I missed the Band of Brothers series so I will definitely have to keep an eye out for this one. As it is being filmed in Australia, there will be an extra level of interest down under. Plus a couple of friends of a friend will have parts in it, so i will most definitely keep a keen interest... But two years away! argh!

A.F.F.
26th September 2007, 23:09
Just a small update. They're filming it and the cast has been chosen. Looking good :)

I especially like the nickname of Rami Malek's character, "snafu" :D :up:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

Hawkmoon
27th September 2007, 04:20
It's good to see something about the Second World War that isn't focussed on the European Theatre. I enjoyed Band of Brothers a great deal, let's hope this is just as good.

A.F.F.
24th November 2010, 21:56
Well, I finally got to see this miniseries and I have to say it was nowhere near as good as the Band of Brothers :down:

I was way disappointed but I'm interested to hear how did you guys find it?

schmenke
24th November 2010, 22:02
I'm borrowing a blue ray copy from a buddy this w/end. I was looking forward to it until I read your post A.F.F. :p :

A.F.F.
24th November 2010, 22:16
Don't worry schmenke, you might like it.

It was very well made and you can see every dollar they put in the budget. I don't know why but I just didn't find the characters and the joyrney they chose in the story as appealing as in Band of Brothers. The Pasific had this weird lack of intensiveness compared to BoB. Every episode felt a bit long and boring and that's not a good thing at all.

But, that's just my opinion.

chuck34
24th November 2010, 22:17
I saw it when it originally aired and was also disapointed. I just didn't seem to get into the characters to the point that I cared about them as I had with Band of Brothers. Big disapointment :(

janneppi
25th November 2010, 09:38
Ah, YLE begins showing it on Dec 28, Might have to watch it. As for the other HBO military shows, I now think than Generation Kill was better than BoB, more like my generation of people, so to speak. And the music was wonderful. :p

edv
25th November 2010, 14:21
I watched the entire series last week.
True that it seemed to explore the characters less and the horrors of battle more.
I thought the sound was particularly good...had it cranked up pretty high.

Now I have to get around to watching both seasons of Rome, which have been lying around the house for a couple of years LOL.

schmenke
25th November 2010, 14:25
...Now I have to get around to watching both seasons of Rome, which have been lying around the house for a couple of years LOL.

Watched them both a couple of years ago. Well worth it! :up:

pino
25th November 2010, 15:08
Well, I finally got to see this miniseries and I have to say it was nowhere near as good as the Band of Brothers :down:

I was way disappointed but I'm interested to hear how did you guys find it?

Although I didn't expect to be as good as Band of Brothers I was disappointed as well. Fortunatelly it was only borrowed from a friend :)

chuck34
25th November 2010, 15:24
I watched the entire series last week.
True that it seemed to explore the characters less and the horrors of battle more.
I thought the sound was particularly good...had it cranked up pretty high.

Now I have to get around to watching both seasons of Rome, which have been lying around the house for a couple of years LOL.

Rome was good. Don't think it was too historically accurate, but it was a good drama series

schmenke
25th November 2010, 17:59
Rome was good. Don't think it was too historically accurate, but it was a good drama series

A must watch in HD.

Mark
26th November 2010, 11:48
The war in the Pacific isn't considered much here. I guess because it was far away and mostly the US doing the fighting. But of course there were British troops involved too.

race aficionado
26th November 2010, 15:16
My son and I enjoyed the Pacific TV series very much.

It's not only historically important for us to learn about it but for him to see that war is not as fun as his bloody shooting video games.

:s mokin:

Bob Riebe
26th November 2010, 15:22
The war in the Pacific isn't considered much here. I guess because it was far away and mostly the US doing the fighting. But of course there were British troops involved too.
That is the odd, maybe not really, part.
In the CBI theater -not the same as the Pacific- some of the most grueling conditions existed and were fought in by nearly all the allies, yet that part, is mostly ignored.

I guess it is hard to glorify, for reason of profit by Hollywood types, war that is fought in a truly brutal manner in truly brutal conditions.