PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR wins against AT&T after all!

blakebeatty
13th August 2007, 23:53
From Jayski...

NASCAR wins in appeals court vs. AT&T: NASCAR won a major court decision Monday as the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals overruled a temporary injunction issued by a district court judge that had allowed AT&T logos to be placed on the #31 Richard Childress Racing car under NASCAR's grandfather clause for telecommunication sponsors. "Because Cingular [now AT&T Mobility] was neither a party to nor an intended beneficiary of the [grandfather clause], it has not itself suffered a legally cognizable injury as a result of NASCAR's interpretation," the three-judge panel wrote in its unanimous decision to overturn the May 18 decision of U.S. District Court Judge Marvin Shoob. The decision by the Atlanta-based court could result in removal of the AT&T logos from the #31 Chevy driven by Jeff Burton as soon as the Aug. 17-19 race weekend at Michigan International Speedway. AT&T still has the option of asking the court to reconsider. "Obviously we're pleased," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said. "This is good news for every driver and team in the sport, which benefits from our exclusive relationships. As we've always said, there are three key sponsors that benefit everyone in the industry - the tire manufacturer, the fuel supplier and the [series] title sponsors. This decision confirms those relationships." NASCAR, citing its exclusivity agreement with Sprint Nextel for the sponsorship of its premier series, had barred AT&T from using its logos to replace Cingular on the RCR car. AT&T and Cingular merged in December 2006. AT&T went to court, arguing that NASCAR's grandfather clause (which went into effect in 2004 when Nextel signed a 10-year deal to replace Winston as the Cup Series sponsor) in its annual contract with RCR did not preclude the change in logos. The appeals court ruled that NASCAR did not intend for AT&T Mobility to benefit, and therefore couldn't be a third-party beneficiary to the NASCAR-RCR agreement, which included the grandfather clause in an addendum. Because RCR was not required to renew its relationships with Cingular, AT&T did not have a legal right for its logos to be put on the car, the court ruled. "The Addendum to the RCR Agreement was intended to protect RCR from the potential harm caused by a sudden loss of sponsorship due to Sprint Nextel's exclusivity," the three-judge panel wrote. "Any benefit to Cingular (now AT&T Mobility) resulting from NASCAR's commitment to grant RCR the option to continue and renew its sponsorship agreement was merely incidental to NASCAR's intended purpose of preserving RCR's choice of sponsorship." The decision likely ends the injunction phase of the case. The case, which includes a $100 million countersuit by NASCAR against AT&T, still is scheduled to go to trial (8-13-2007)

dont_be_jack
14th August 2007, 00:25
I wonder if the change over to the Sprint Cup possibly plays a role now in how the clauses work. It's always possible and could play a role...

Jonesi
14th August 2007, 01:47
Title of this thread not really accurate. All "overruled a temporary injunction" means is that they put "Cingular" back on car and AT&T continues with the lawsuit against Nascar and the countersuit of course.

harvick#1
14th August 2007, 02:00
please, Winston, come back, Brian France needs to end this POS Nextel/Sprint deal. Big Bill needs to put Brian in timeout

jslone
15th August 2007, 06:17
If att wins the case,I wonder how many telecom firms would sign up for a chance to be in NAscar,this could bring more money into the sport.

tstran17_88
15th August 2007, 23:23
Big Bill needs to put Brian in timeoutThat would be kind of tough to do six feet under.

MD24
23rd August 2007, 22:00
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/08/20/scene_daily452.html?t=printable

Jonesi
26th August 2007, 01:19
Childress has no plans for legal action against NASCAR to retain AT&T
(He's been around long enough to know even if he wins he loses with Nascar.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2991180

blakebeatty
31st August 2007, 17:29
Blank #31 at Calif: AT&T will again field an unbranded car this weekend at California Speedway. The #31 Richard Childress Racing car driven by Jeff Burton will carry a plain paint scheme of orange and black, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel confirmed Thursday. It will be the second week that the car has run without logos from its primary sponsor. AT&T, NASCAR and Sprint are in a contentious legal battle over the paint scheme of the car. In addition to not having the AT&T logos on the car, the AT&T logo also cannot be worn by team members nor be used on any items - haulers, pit boxes, etc. - inside the NASCAR garage.(SceneDaily.com (http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/08/27/scene_daily48.html))(8-31-2007)

I think that RCR nees to do the same thing as Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro and use the SUBLIMINAL CINGULAR AT&T Decals.
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/bah/f1-2007-bah-xp-0543.jpg
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/tes/f1-2007-tes-am-0136.jpg

blakebeatty
31st August 2007, 17:33
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/nascar-cup/2007/ind/nascarcup-2007-ind-tm-0066.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/blakebeatty/BurtonSub.jpg?t=1188577406

ms0362
1st September 2007, 14:04
I think this is a load,,,,, It's pretty bad when Nascar looks a 20 million dollar sponsor in the gift horse mouth. Winston never had problems with Camel, Skoal or any other common sponsor. Thank you Brian France for setting up a deal with you buddies at Nextel, (oh wait ,,,they're going to change their names to,, aren't they.... Sprint), that chokes off the chance for some big buck sponsorship. I hope Burton wins the dang championship with a sponsorless car and shows them to be the fools they are.

harvick#1
1st September 2007, 16:22
blakebetty, I like what someone else said on another board,

just make millions of small cingular logos and make it look like the AT&T logo.

BenRoethig
1st September 2007, 17:38

If I here RCR (and Penske) I would sue stating that by the same token, the deal that applied to Nextel does not apply to sprint.

tstran17_88
1st September 2007, 18:00
Winston never had problems with Camel, Skoal or any other common sponsor. Um, yes they did. Skoal, Kodiak, etc are smokeless tobaccos, so there wasn't direct competition and Camel is made by Winston. There was a reason Marlboro wasn't allowed to sponsor in Nascar before Wild Bill Clinton and Congress came down hard on big tobacco.

Jonesi
1st September 2007, 20:05

I would have shown up with the car looking like it was papered with the court documents. ;-)

blakebeatty
2nd September 2007, 03:19
I am sure EVERYONE associates the black orange and black car with AT&T. The publicity they are getting from this is incredible. We certainly wouldn't be discussing AT&T otherwise.

tstran17_88
2nd September 2007, 15:15
I am sure EVERYONE associates the black orange and black car with AT&T. The publicity they are getting from this is incredible. We certainly wouldn't be discussing AT&T otherwise.I associate those colors with Cingular.

Matt Kenseth had AT&T as a associate sponsor a few years back. The races that AT&T was the primary, the car was white and the logo powder blue.

ms0362
5th September 2007, 19:08
Um, yes they did. Skoal, Kodiak, etc are smokeless tobaccos, so there wasn't direct competition and Camel is made by Winston. There was a reason Marlboro wasn't allowed to sponsor in Nascar before Wild Bill Clinton and Congress came down hard on big tobacco.

Sorry I missed my facts. But it's still a political load of crap.

MD24
7th September 2007, 19:06
http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/6634.html

By DAVID POOLE and JIM UTTER - The charlotte Observer

RICHMOND, Va. - NASCAR, AT&T, Richard Childress Racing and Sprint Nextel have reached a compromise in the dispute over AT&T logos being on the No. 31 Chevrolets.
Details of the compromise are to be announced later Friday at Richmond International Raceway, but the No. 31 team is preparing to put the sponsor's logos on the car that Jeff Burton will drive in Saturday's Chevy 400.

RaceFanStan
7th September 2007, 19:23
I hope RCR paints the #31 Solid BLACK & proudly stick the light blue at&t logo on the hood ! :D :up:

Jonesi
7th September 2007, 21:01
More on logos back:
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/09/03/scene_daily157.html

Sparky1329
7th September 2007, 22:58
Sprint Nextel blinked first. I wonder if their own hypocrisy, the bad press or the threat of an anti-trust action brought them to their senses. If they had a good product competition wouldn't freak them out.

Mark in Oshawa
9th September 2007, 08:03
Just another example of corporate America thinking that being RIGHT on this actually made them LOOK right. I think a lot of fans just thought about AT and T as not a bad mulit national conglomerate after all.......

What a load of manure it all is.......just kids fighting in the sandbox.