PDA

View Full Version : Is Dale Jr's Chase hopes "up in smoke" ?

RaceFanStan
13th August 2007, 12:30
Dale Earnhardt Jr suffered engine failures @ California, Texas, Indianapolis & now Watkins Glen. :eek:
Dale Jr has dropped to 14th in points, 100 points out of 12th. :eek:
4 races to go before the cut-off @ Richmond & Dale Jr will have to battle back into the chase .....

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/07/8wg.jpg

muggle not
13th August 2007, 13:14
It sure doesn't look good for Jr. His car troubles have been pretty bad. His best chance for making the chase may be for edging out Truex.

blakebeatty
13th August 2007, 16:00
Hmmm.... What was that points fine for the illegal wing brackets in the spring?

Jonesi
13th August 2007, 20:06
Hmmm.... What was that points fine for the illegal wing brackets in the spring?

100 points. Half of the cars in the top 12 received points penalties, 3 of them 100 points too.

Alexamateo
13th August 2007, 21:49
Things are looking grim :( :arrowed: :bones:

harvick#1
13th August 2007, 22:59
starting next year, 15 cars will be in the chase, you heard it here first :p :

muggle not
13th August 2007, 23:37
And candy-azz yap-yap will still be lucky to get in.

Jonesi
14th August 2007, 01:53

They won't need to, he'll be in a Hendrick car next year! ;-)

harvick#1
14th August 2007, 01:57
And candy-azz yap-yap will still be lucky to get in.

I wonder how pissed you will be when Harv wins it all this year :D

RaceFanStan
14th August 2007, 02:00
Some people think driving a Hendrick car means immediate success & automatic Chase entry ..... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
I guess someone forgot to tell Casey Mears ............... :s

RaceFanStan
14th August 2007, 02:02
Why stop at 15 ?
Make ie a BIG Chase, up it to 25 ! :laugh:

harvick#1
14th August 2007, 02:03

Seems RCR can get all three of there guys in,

and what about Mears and Vickers :p :

harvick#1
14th August 2007, 02:03
Why stop at 15 ?

how about 50 :D

muggle not
14th August 2007, 02:29
Seems RCR can get all three of there guys in,

and what about Mears and Vickers :p :
And yet none of them can win it. :D :D

Oh btw, I heard that Nascar is going to let the fans vote a driver in the chase this year. Mikey said so on TV tonight. :)

harvick#1
14th August 2007, 02:43

Oh btw, I heard that Nascar is going to let the fans vote a driver in the chase this year. Mikey said so on TV tonight. :)

allright, Kenny Wallace gets to be in the chase :D

Sparky1329
14th August 2007, 03:06

Oh brother. :rolleyes: Like it's not a big enough joke already.

muggle not
14th August 2007, 03:08
Oh brother. :rolleyes: Like it's not a big enough joke already.
mikey was joking.....and so was I. :)

You are correct though. The chase is a joke. If Jeff Gordon continues his winning ways this year it will be his 6th championship according to the former rules.

Aussie12
14th August 2007, 08:28
Dale Earnhardt Jr suffered engine failures @ California, Texas, Indianapolis & now Watkins Glen. :eek:
4 races to go before the cut-off @ Richmond & Dale Jr will have to battle back into the chase .....

He's done for the year. Seems to me that DEI just haven't been either
1. Putting in a top effort or...
2. Spending the big bucks
since he said he's been leaving.

Ironic.... :(

muggle not
14th August 2007, 13:56
Jr will make it and Truex will drop out.

Sparky1329
14th August 2007, 23:03
mikey was joking.....and so was I. :)

You are correct though. The chase is a joke. If Jeff Gordon continues his winning ways this year it will be his 6th championship according to the former rules.

Since most of what comes out of Mikey's mouth is assinine one never knows. His nose is so far up TPTB's butts it's feasible that he's privy to nonsensical
inside information. NASCAR gave us the stupid Chase so anything's possible. ;)

Old3Fan
15th August 2007, 02:36
Why stop at 15 ?

I would agree if they just ran 25 cars and let the backmarkers call it a season. However, my main peeves are:
1) All 43 cars have to qualify on speed alone. No freebies.
2) Do away with the "Lucky Dog". Again, no freebies.
3) All restarts to be 1 line of cars, 1st to last OR like the original start alternating 1,2,3,4,5,etc. Get the backmarkers out of the way.
4) Lets have a fight once in a while like they used to. When men were men and the series wasn't PC. The fans love it.
5) Get reporters microphones out of the faces of drivers just involved in controversial stuff or at least, have a 30 second delay so the BIG NASTIES THAT SO UPSET SOME MOMMY TYPES can be deleted.

deifan8
15th August 2007, 20:38

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/07/8wg.jpg

What's funny is Dale Jr. has a Reality Cup racing game, with a mini game called the 25K Chase Challenge. IMO, it would be hillarious if he missed the chase and had to settle playing his own online fantasy game.

Jonesi
15th August 2007, 22:16
Jr will make it and Truex will drop out.

Will Truex drop out, because under stress he's not quite that level competitor yet OR because he had "help" from people in DEI that want to see Jr get in? Conspiracy fans want to know! ;-)

muggle not
15th August 2007, 23:29
Will Truex drop out, because under stress he's not quite that level competitor yet OR because he had "help" from people in DEI that want to see Jr get in? Conspiracy fans want to know! ;-)
Because he is not at a level as a driver as Jr at this point.
If anything, I am pretty sure that DEI would rather see Truex in the Chase than Jr.

muggle not
16th August 2007, 01:21
Word is that Jr will not be driving the #8 car next year. Teresa would not agree on terms with HMS.

muggle not
16th August 2007, 01:38
Update:

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not be taking his familiar No. 8 with him to Hendrick Motorsports next season.
Earnhardt is leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of the season and had hoped to take No. 8 with him to his new team. His late grandfather, Ralph, used that number and Earnhardt picked it when he entered the Cup Series in 1999.

Although teams do not own numbers -- they are leased through NASCAR -- DEI had the first right of refusal on the No. 8, and Hendrick officials said Wednesday they were unable to reach an agreement that would have made DEI pass on choosing the number for 2008.
``We've been working hard to secure the No. 8 for Dale Jr.'s car number next season,'' said Marshall Carlson, general manager of Hendrick Motorsports.
``Obviously, he has a tremendous history with that number, and we know how important it is to his fans. Unfortunately, we couldn't reach a point where the terms made sense, and now we have to move forward with other options.''
Hendrick officials didn't reveal what number Earnhardt will use when he starts his five-year deal with the team next season. His sponsor has also not been announced, but Hendrick officials said Budweiser will not be on his car.
Earnhardt is widely recognized with his red Bud car and number, so this turn of events will give him a fresh new look next season. But having to part with his grandfather's number was difficult.
``Our hope was to carry the No. 8 with Dale Jr. to his new team, but the last proposal Hendrick Motorsports received from DEI just wasn't viable,'' said Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, his sister and business manager. ``It was a difficult decision, but all of us agreed that it was best to move in another direction,'' she said. ``There's disappointment, of course, but we look forward to working with Hendrick Motorsports on what will be a great program for Dale Jr. and his fans in 2008.''

Jonesi
16th August 2007, 01:40
Word is that Jr will not be driving the #8 car next year. Teresa would not agree on terms with HMS.

Yep '6.7' is looking more likely every day ;-)

MD24
16th August 2007, 02:41

She's probably getting a better offer from Evernham/Budweiser for the #8

jslone
16th August 2007, 06:13
Still too early to make a prediction like this,and the fact that Richmond is one of his best tracks

Alexamateo
16th August 2007, 16:29
Still too early to make a prediction like this,and the fact that Richmond is one of his best tracks

In fact, he's been running good at all the tracks that are coming up. He was 5th in Mich. this spring and last fall, he finished 6th while leading 40 laps.

He was second last year in California, and was fast this spring, but he blew his engine.

And of course he loves Bristol, was 3rd last year(I was there) and 7th this spring in the first COT race.

deifan8
16th August 2007, 16:53
That would be cool if it came down to the Richmond race. Being that he last won there, winning again to claw his way into the Chase would be awesome!

RaceFanStan
16th August 2007, 21:51
Everyone loves an underdog, heck I do too !
IF Dale Jr makes the Chase I will say it was a great comeback .....
however the fat lady is standing in the Budweiser pit warming up ..... :eek:

ms0362
17th August 2007, 02:10
He'd have to do something like top 5's in all the next races and Busch will have to have some DNF's. Doesn't look good.

harvick#1
17th August 2007, 03:16
Everyone loves an underdog, heck I do too !
IF Dale Jr makes the Chase I will say it was a great comeback .....
however the fat lady is standing in the Budweiser pit warming up ..... :eek:

the Underdogs are already in the chase, Clint Bowyer and Martin Truex.

I think it would be hilarous if Clint Bowyer wins the championship with 1 top 5 finish :laugh:

Jonesi
17th August 2007, 03:50
the Underdogs are already in the chase, Clint Bowyer and Martin Truex.

I think it would be hilarous if Clint Bowyer wins the championship with 1 top 5 finish :laugh:

It would be ironic. Since 'the chase' began the best anyone who didn't win a race (that year) finished was 8th. BTW, Jeff Gordon's 2nd worst finish so far this year is 12th. The only way he doesn't win the championship is if someone puts together a string of wins (& 2nds 3rds) only two drivers have shown that consistant talent, Tony & Jimmy.

RaceFanStan
17th August 2007, 03:51
I think right now the performance edge goes to Jeff Gordon & Tony Stewart ...
I think it will between them alone & I also think Jeff Gordon has the upper hand ...
Jeff Gordon may finally get his 5th Championship. :eek:

MD24
19th August 2007, 03:05
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/08/13/scene_daily388.html?from_rss=1?t=printable

Sparky1329
19th August 2007, 04:56
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/08/13/scene_daily388.html?from_rss=1?t=printable

"We're starting with such a clean page next year anyways. Maybe it's for the best. Maybe it's sort of a blessing in disguise to really make that kind of clean break because when I walked away from DEI, I wanted no ties whatsoever and if I was to get the 8 and allow Teresa to still have control over it, I would still have to deal with it. That is not what I wanted. I have to let it go."

This is probably the best thing to happen. Jr will make a clean and total break and chalk it up. All the same I hope the vindictive witch chokes on that number. If there's a hearafter she'll have lots of 'splaining to do.

RaceFanStan
19th August 2007, 05:01
I hope Dale Jr goes after Teresa's goat & uses the #3 !
Richard Childress has already said it is Dale Jr's if he ever wants it.

MD24
19th August 2007, 05:09
She can't think that DE would approve of the way she's treating his son.

MD24
19th August 2007, 05:13
I hope Dale Jr goes after Teresa's goat & uses the #3 !
Richard Childress has already said it is Dale Jr's if he ever wants it.

I'd love to see JR drive the #3 one day

Sparky1329
20th August 2007, 03:57
She can't think that DE would approve of the way she's treating his son.

I can't either, MD. The only comparison I have is my feelings about my own son. That's what bugs me the most about this whole deal. I know it colors my opinions and my disdain of Teresa and the way she has treated Jr. but it's just the way it is.

Sparky1329
20th August 2007, 04:13
I'd love to see JR drive the #3 one day

I don't know if he'd want to do that since he's seems to be trying to get out from under his father's shadow. That said, if he's comfortable driving a #3 car it wouldn't bother me.

RaceFanStan
20th August 2007, 04:22
I always thought Teresa Earnhardt was a class act.
But with Teresa's greedy attitude regarding the #8 I can't praise her.
Teresa should have released the #8 to Dale Jr with no strings IMO. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

RaceFanStan
20th August 2007, 04:24
I heard this on television today during the rain delay :
Andy Petree still has the rights to the #33 & he said Dale Jr is welcome to it if he wants it.
Currently Petree has loaned it to Richard Childress but he said it would be available in 2008.

It might be cool to see Dale Jr use the #33, it would be like the next generation of #3. :D

Alexamateo
20th August 2007, 04:35
It seems I read somewhere that Jr. might have Gatorade sponsorship next year. If so that would be another cool possibility, work out something with Yates and bring back the Gatorade #88 :D

Sparky1329
20th August 2007, 22:12
I heard this on television today during the rain delay :
Andy Petree still has the rights to the #33 & he said Dale Jr is welcome to it if he wants it.
Currently Petree has loaned it to Richard Childress but he said it would be available in 2008.

It might be cool to see Dale Jr use the #33, it would be like the next generation of #3. :D

That would be too cool! What a nice offer from Andy.

Mark in Oshawa
21st August 2007, 13:08
I think the 33 would be very symbolic, yet be Jr.'s unique stamp on all that has happened. Andy has just given them the perfect solution to the dilemma that vindictive ole Theresa has put Jr. in. It may have been business to not let Jr. own part of DEI and have a say in management there, but it is pure vindictative to not get a deal done for the 8.

I wish he was going to make the Chase just to irk Theresa a little more by performing well as he walked out the door, but alas, bad motors have been the curse of DEI the last two years, and they have stung Jr. pretty bad at the worst possible time. Couple that with that 100 point penalty, and it is yet another lost season. This guy just is snake bit....I think he has Mark Martin disease.....

Jonesi
21st August 2007, 15:38
I think the 33 would be very symbolic, yet be Jr.'s unique stamp on all that has happened. Andy has just given them the perfect solution to the dilemma that vindictive ole Theresa has put Jr. in. It may have been business to not let Jr. own part of DEI and have a say in management there, but it is pure vindictative to not get a deal done for the 8.

I wish he was going to make the Chase just to irk Theresa a little more by performing well as he walked out the door, but alas, bad motors have been the curse of DEI the last two years, and they have stung Jr. pretty bad at the worst possible time. Couple that with that 100 point penalty, and it is yet another lost season. This guy just is snake bit....I think he has Mark Martin disease.....

There's really no reason he can't run #5, and if he was smart he could design the font & background so if you squint it still looked like an 8. ;-)

deifan8
21st August 2007, 16:48
I'd say his chances aren't over yet. Goodness.. he seems motivated moving up early at Michigan from 43rd to 18th.

harvick#1
21st August 2007, 22:37
woohoo, good to see Jooyner fall further behind the 8-ball :D

muggle not
22nd August 2007, 01:47
Of the 12 drivers in the chase to date, which 2 drivers have the least number of top 5 finishes.

The Trivia thread seems to be dead so i thought i would post it here.

Jonesi
22nd August 2007, 02:08
Of the 12 drivers in the chase to date, which 2 drivers have the least number of top 5 finishes.

Bowyer only has 1, Harvick has 4, (then tie Edwards, Ky & Ku Busch, & Truex with 5.) Gordon has 14.

muggle not
27th August 2007, 16:46
SPEED's Bob Dilner reported on Sunday's SPEED report that Robert Yates Racing has asked NASCAR if they could transfer the #38 to Hendrick Motorsports in 2008 for Dale Eanrhardt Jr. to use, the #3 in honor of his father, the late Dale Earnhardt, who ran the #3 [a few races in 1981 and then from 1984 until the 2001 Daytona 500 and won 6 of his 7 championships using #3] and the #8 of course is Dale Jr.'s car #8 since he came into the sport. No word what number David Gilliland would switch to, but RYR still has the license on the #28, last used in 2002 with Ricky Rudd and has used the #90 in the past.

RaceFanStan
27th August 2007, 17:57
That's a class act by Robert Yates, #38 would be a good fit for Dale Jr IMO. :D :up:

Lee Roy
27th August 2007, 19:18
Robert Yates is truly a good guy. But I think he also knows that, whatever is good for Junior is good for NASCAR. Whatever is good for NASCAR is good for him.

muggle not
27th August 2007, 20:18
Robert Yates is one of the old breed guys and this certainly will be a class act if it in fact materializes. It would be a great number for Jr.

Sparky1329
27th August 2007, 22:07
That's a class act by Robert Yates, #38 would be a good fit for Dale Jr IMO. :D :up:

I couldn't agree more. Robert Yates has shown more class than Jr's stepmother has.

Jonesi
27th August 2007, 23:32
Latest from NascarNow. They report the #38 transfer unlikely to happen.

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2007, 07:46
Good lord, we could have a whole thread on what number he can use, which says a lot about how NASCAR fans can over analyse anything when it comes to Jr.

Of course, I took note of his good finish at Bristol, and while he didn't gain any ground on Kurt Busch, I do notice that Harvick is one bad finish away and Jr. One Good one away from being in Jr's Clutches. This aint over by a long shot. It could be Harvick that is in trouble if bad luck keeps finding him.

I have a hard time believing some of the ways Jr. has had cars die under him this year, so maybe his luck is changing while Harvick is maybe having a spell of poor finishes.

Old3Fan
29th August 2007, 21:09
With the way his motors have been smoking lately, I would say that Jr is in big trouble.

MD24
30th August 2007, 17:05
http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2007/08/junior-by-numbers.html

Hendrick Motorsports has applied to the United States Patent and Trademark Office for potential use of five numbers next season for Dale Earnhardt, Jr. The numbers under consideration are #38, #51, #81, #82 and #58. Filing with Patent and Trademark Office does not guarantee NASCAR approval to use any of those numbers, but does prevent an outside party from trademarking the specific font and graphic package used by Hendrick on its racecars, diecast collectibles and souvenirs. Hendrick filed for the #81 on July 25th, with the most recent filing being for the #38 on August 9th. There have been reports that Hendrick is attempting to strike a deal with Robert Yates Racing for the #38 next season, but my [Dave Moody] sources tell me that the deal is not likely to happen

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 05:37
With the way his motors have been smoking lately, I would say that Jr is in big trouble.

Isn't the problem he has always had at DEI? I think the chance to race for Hendrick was a no brainer, especially after he got in Busch's 5 as a relief driver and discovered how much power he didn't have under his right foot at DEI. DEI motors have always let him down at crucial times.....and if you total up the number of DNF's he has had from bad motors, it might explain why he hasn't been more a force in points choices. No one seems to have his luck, and I cant believe he is any harder on a motor than anyone else.