PDA

View Full Version : If Alonso left McLaren...

Bezza
12th August 2007, 22:09
Just imagine if Alonso decided to leave McLaren. It would create a complete mess in the driver market! McLaren would have to get someone in to replace him - would they go for a superb driver capable of winning the championship? Or back Hamilton 100% and bring in a driver to support him? On past history - Senna/Prost, Hakkinen/Coulthard, Raikkonen/Montoya - I would suggest the former.

But who? I think he will be out of Mac for 2008, the bridges are burnt and he will be the one to go rather than Hamilton. Lets say he goes back to Renault, with Kovalainen as partner. This frees up Fisichella. I can't see Mac taking on Fisi. So who do they go for? I reckon there is a strong chance they would take on somebody like Jenson Button!

Its going to get very interesting if indeed Alonso quits McLaren!

Rollo
12th August 2007, 23:57
Immediately they'd promote Pedro de la Rosa to the number... "0" car? Then have him in that seat until the end of the year. I expect that brown envelopes would run up and down pit lane, and that McLaren might buy back David Coulthard to run in deference to Hamilton and have him see out his days there.

Malbec
12th August 2007, 23:58
Well it might be a simple swap, especially if he leaves for BMW with Heidfeld going the other way. It would be nice to see Nick finally get rewarded with the Mercedes powered drive they always promised him....

I can't see JB going to McLaren, Ron will have to be willing to pay enough to him to cover his payments to Williams AND give him something to live on and his current market value simply isn't high enough.

I think they'd go for someone with experience to offset Lewis's youth but quite frankly not many names come up that would be quick enough and free for 2008....

Sleeper
13th August 2007, 00:17
Whats the possibility of them giving Paffet a call? Also, I think Rosbergs contract is up for renewal and the end of the year, isnt it?

markabilly
13th August 2007, 00:35
You are right about FA leaving..There should be little question that RD does regard LH as his favorite based on past history of ten years, and barring accident or a failure of MaclAren to be competitve, will win the championship. The last incident was a result of the "insecurities" of a young driver, not realizing what or perhaps not trusting enough the greater scheme......When that happens, even if it happens before the end of the season, FA is gone but the possibility of a swap is probably null.

So if mclaren wants experience, they will have to go with someone like Wurz or Fisi (who is probably gone regardless of where FA goes, so if Fisi showed up at Mac, it would probably not be a real swap, just a coincidence) or possibly Heidfedt

DC would probably never go back unless FA replaced him, and I think FA will only go with a team with a proven track record, a proper supply of engines---and that leaves Honda, BMW, Runault and Ferrari)ooops Honda of a year ago, as of NOW, it would appear that it leaves BMW, Renault and Ferrari.

There is something to be said for not going home again, so the best answer for FA would be BMW, assuming they would have him

So heidfeldt may well be the odd man out at BMW, and he might then be a choice of big MAc as a clear number 2, solely because of the german Mercedes connection.

As to JB, JB is signed up for next year, Honda is a major competitor over the entire world agsinst Mercedes, so I can not see them letting loose of JB, without a much worse squabble that went on with Williams when JB tried to jump ship, so that pretty much rules him out, and I am not sure that JB would go therre to face LH and honda would lose face if he did....

And LH will not leave to go ferrari, unless MAc simply refuses to come up and match the massive amounts of money that ferrari is going to toss on the table (and they will do that I think for two reasons, one they want him and two, they do not want him that bad, but why not cost Mac, about 50 million plus $$$$$ a year to keep him....seems like some nice macheivallen type tactics....)

So that just leaves somone at BMW as the odd man out....and the question of whether Mac goeswith expeirence of Heidfelt or with another youngster

Of course they could hire scott not speed.....

Valve Bounce
13th August 2007, 04:48
Is this a continuation of this thread? :http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120023

ArrowsFA1
13th August 2007, 08:32
Is this a continuation of this thread? :http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120023
Yes :cool: