PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone else be on the top step of the podium?

raikk
10th August 2007, 23:12
We are witnessing a 4 horse race for the title.. which is don't get me wrong very exciting and thrilling but will anyone else besides a Ferrari or a Mclaren be able to snatch a win (with luck, and or skill?)
and if so who?

My bet would be Robert Kubica and BMW.. but I think it would take some bad luck from the big 2 for this to happen this year..

What do you think?

Ian McC
10th August 2007, 23:50
No, unless we have rain or mass pile ups, none of the others have it in them at the moment.

Spoonbender
10th August 2007, 23:51
I see BMW, either one, getting there. It may come as a result of circumstance but that dosn't matter, if you win, you win.
The only other contender I would put your money on woud be Kovalinen.
After his emabaressment of "cooking with Louise Goodman" he seems to be stepping up top the mark.
Outside chance: maybe Vettel ??

Roamy
11th August 2007, 05:42
I would expect if it happens - Heidfield or Hekki or Nico

Kevincal
11th August 2007, 06:35
Heidfeld or Kubica only chances... SLIM chances... :P

Ranger
11th August 2007, 06:42
Dumb question. Any of F1's 22 drivers could win given crazy circumstances. Three weeks ago a debutant in a Spyker was leading by 33 seconds. Fisichella won in a Jordan in 2003. Cases in point.

In the dry, without safety car intervention, however, it'd be one of the BMW's. But even that would take something miraculous.

rohanweb
11th August 2007, 10:42
Well..Jenson Button ;-)

F1MAN2007
11th August 2007, 11:07
If Mclaren still there, whatever reliability issue with Ferraris, I don't see any monkey on the top step of podium.

BeansBeansBeans
11th August 2007, 11:17
It's unlikely, but if circumstances allow, it is possible - Just look at Jenson Button in Hungary last year.

Nobody is going to beat McLaren & Ferrari on outright pace though.

Valve Bounce
11th August 2007, 13:12
Well..Jenson Button ;-)

Hey Yeah!! Bunsen will make it onto the top step.

Sleeper
11th August 2007, 16:43
Well, its Spa in a few weeks, and we've seen plenty of strange results their in the past, what with the unpredictable weather.

joeswfc
11th August 2007, 19:16
what about a BMW win at Monza there pretty fast at those type of circuits. Kubica got 3rd their last year.

jso1985
11th August 2007, 20:48
unless it rains and there's some big pile up(where anyone could eventually win) I really don't see another team challening for the win in "normal" conditions, I thought BMW could improve their eraly pace into a winning pace by the end of the season, but actually Renault has catched them so I don't see them being fast enough for the win at least until the season finishes

jens
12th August 2007, 17:28
Funny. We have had a lot of seasons, where two teams have won all the races but one (91-96, 98, 05-06), which has gone to a third party in strange circumstances. Will 2007 be like that? We have got 6 more chances to see a strange race, which would favour someone outside the Big Two.

Or will 2007 be like 2000 and 1988, when - interestingly - the same two teams snatched all the wins that are aiming to do the same now.

Early to say, everything can happen.

Btw, I don't believe that BMW will do anything spectacular at Monza, because the engine rule has changed so much that best packages are now pretty much the quickest everywhere. That era, when a team with a powerful engine managed to beat the opposition on a fast circuit, while struggling on slower circuits, is gone...

Bezza
12th August 2007, 18:18
BMW will be quick at Spa and Monza, they could pip McLaren at Monza especially, because it is really just about speed.

Could rain at Spa and then anything can happen!

mirek01
12th August 2007, 20:28
I'm sure that we will have some unexpected winner. When ? We have to wait.

Bezza
12th August 2007, 21:53
Lets see, off the top my head - unexpected winners:

Panis for Ligier, Monaco 96
Hill for Jordan, Spa 98
Herbert for Stewart, Nurburgring 99
Fisichella for Jordan, Interlagos 03
Button for Honda, Hungaroring 06

So, theres not many of them! And rain was the primary reason for all of them. Shows how amazing Hill's drive at Hungary in 97 was - in an Arrows, in the dry!!

call_me_andrew
12th August 2007, 22:24
I'd say anyone can get lucky and win. It just takes rain, several large accidents, and a few acts of God.