PDA

View Full Version : What if Montoya was still at Mclaren

clydekart
10th August 2007, 23:08
Although I think Montoya is not the smartest guy aroud he still holds lap records at several tracks and was a quick driver in F1.
I think Montoya wouldn't have put up with any BS from a rookie and if LH would have pulled the same stunt with Montoya as he did with Alonso-LH would have been either run off the track or layed out by Montoya.

Ian McC
10th August 2007, 23:52
would have been either run off the track or layed out by Montoya.

Despite your wishes Montoya isn't the loon you think he is.

Spoonbender
11th August 2007, 00:06
The team's are all different and all have their own etheics.
MS was and is (he may come back) a great driver, but how many times did he take the law into his own hands?? ask D.Hill E. Irvine M. Hakkinnen, R Barichello etc.....
His team always backed him up, they have a number one and a number two.
Maclaren are trying to play fair........... it don't seem to work that way (it aint goin' down like that)

Roamy
11th August 2007, 05:33
by now Montoya would have ripped off Hamilton's head and sh!t in his neck !!

KartChampion1
11th August 2007, 06:42
I think Montoya would have gotten upset that yet again his team-mate is outperfoming him and now its a rookie. "I better leave the international racing seen and beat up on lesser drivers."

but in all seriousness, Montoya wouldn't have done anything more than Alonso really, except perhaps conplain a bit more. I think he and Hamilton would have gotten along ok. I think the Alonso/Hamilton pairing is a good one. Montoya would do no better against him

rohanweb
11th August 2007, 10:45
well..Montoya & Hamilton will be aggressive about who get to the first corner .. and both will end up in the gravel , and handing easy wins for ferraris ;) ...

BeansBeansBeans
11th August 2007, 11:15
If Montoya was at McLaren they'd have a weaker driver line-up.

Ian McC
11th August 2007, 12:33
by now Montoya would have ripped off Hamilton's head and sh!t in his neck !!

Nah, Montoya's an old git, he wouldn't be able to catch him :p :

TMorel
11th August 2007, 23:07
but if he DID catch him, all Lewis would have to do is point and go "oooh look, donuts" and then while Juan is distracted Lewis could nip off and win a few more races

Jimmy Magnusson
12th August 2007, 01:04
If Montoya would still be at McLaren Hamilton wouldn't have had a seat this year. Remember that Alonso's contract was signed at the end of 2005, when Lewis hadn't done anything above Formula 3. They also signed on Paffett as their second test driver, and at that time it didn't look that unlikely that we would have had a Paffett/Alonso lineup for 2007.

PSfan
12th August 2007, 01:18
I applaud this thread even if most of it confuses the crap outa me...

Many a MS thread, even though the content is current F1 news has been bounced to the H&N thread, I hope that trend stops here...

What makes anyone think that the team up had Montoya been retained have been JPM and LH?!? It was Alonso's signing that lead to Juan's defection to Nascar. Had He stayed, he would have partnered FA, Hamilton would have spent another year in GP whatever...

A JPM/FA team up would be better then what we have this, granted Ferrari would probably be leading the championship, but at least I'd still have some respect for McLeran, they have become the team I like the least (And I thought nobody would surpass Ferrari in that regard...) Hamilton not obeying a team order? It was Alonso's turn to get the qualifying advantage? Anyone recording the QF this year would now this is complete BS, quick scan threw the 5 race qualifying I have on PVR show Alonso getting the last McLeran lap in 4 races in a row!!! AT least Montoya wouldn't take the BS Hamilton's been livin with!

Sleeper
12th August 2007, 01:55
JPM had got fed up with F1, thats why he left, after all Raikkonen was already on his way to Ferrari ages ago.

A JPM/FA line up would be interesting, with plenty of fireworks most likely.

jens
12th August 2007, 17:36
JPM vs FA or JPM vs LH - hard to say, which pairing would produce more fuss. :p :

Dzeidzei
12th August 2007, 19:02
What makes anyone think that the team up had Montoya been retained have been JPM and LH?!? It was Alonso's signing that lead to Juan's defection to Nascar. Had He stayed, he would have partnered FA, Hamilton would have spent another year in GP whatever...

I guess last year is ancient history, as people see to remember it so badly. Here are the facts: Kimi did destroy JPM´s name as one of the fastest drivers. The incident at Indy (JPM hitting Kimi´s back int he 1st set of corners) was the last drop. After that JPM was never going to get another ride at Mac. If not Lewis, it would have been FA plus someone else, not JPM.

I guess Juan was offered some lesser driver, but his ego could not handle it.

call_me_andrew
12th August 2007, 22:21
Juan had offers from Red Bull and Williams, but he had started talks with Ganassi long before Indy.

Rollo
12th August 2007, 23:49
Montoya although being supremely quick on occasion does happen to have a habit of letting the red mist comes down and consume him. To that end the strangest thing I ever saw concerning the chap was at Montreal when he exited pit lane... hmm, what was going on there?

Even just hours ago when he was having a slapping match with Kevin Harvick at Watkins Glen, I thought it funny that the crew chiefs were yelling "Get back in the car".

Nah, both Alonso and Hamilton would have been quicker than him. I think he probably would have not only thrown all the toys out of the pram, but inverted the pram as well.

leopard
13th August 2007, 05:09
Juan had offers from Red Bull and Williams, but he had started talks with Ganassi long before Indy.

My anxiety to know more that William would ever want Monty again, didn't they terminate him before the season ending for McLaren.

Montoya is fast, FA and LH are driver with stronger commitment on racing and always use their head while driving

call_me_andrew
13th August 2007, 05:12
I think most of the tension came from BMW.

leopard
13th August 2007, 05:17
could be, usually teams' owner decide on anything more than the car.

wedge
13th August 2007, 15:38
Montoya although being supremely quick on occasion does happen to have a habit of letting the red mist comes down and consume him. To that end the strangest thing I ever saw concerning the chap was at Montreal when he exited pit lane... hmm, what was going on there?

When the safety car came out McLaren pulled Kimi in first when JPM was leading the race. JPM immediately signalled to the McLaren pit wall 'why didn't you pit me?'

You don't expect that sort of thing happening in McLaren in a middle of a title fight.

On that occasion I slightly forgive his moment of rage. When things don't go your way its quite easy to let your emotions take over - Alonso's shenanigans in Hungary being another example.

I guess last year is ancient history, as people see to remember it so badly. Here are the facts: Kimi did destroy JPM´s name as one of the fastest drivers. The incident at Indy (JPM hitting Kimi´s back int he 1st set of corners) was the last drop. After that JPM was never going to get another ride at Mac. If not Lewis, it would have been FA plus someone else, not JPM.

It's also worth remembering that last year's McLaren was a pig to drive. It understeered too much, it had a problem of too much graining on the fronts and the aero was not good enough for race wins.

JPM could never get the best out of it unlike Kimi who scored podiums. JPM prefers an oversteering race car. The 2005 McLaren was very 'pointy'. JPM and Kimi was closely matched.

If JPM drove this year's McLaren he would've at least given Alonso a good run for his money.

KartChampion1
13th August 2007, 18:54
Montoya is fast, FA and LH are driver with stronger commitment on racing and always use their head while driving

I believe you absoultely right sleepy Leo good call and it seems most people on this forum are very savy on what is goin on in general.

you could tell Juan was not as committed just by how he would not get in tip top shape like the other drivers. his out right speed and car control were F1 level forsure, but its hard to respect him when he doesn't try to get the most out of what god has given him.

Lewis Hamilton is doing a stellar job clearly, leading the championship almost all year. Pretty sure Montoya would not be there. I think Montoya (and Alonso)are quicker over 1 lap, but Juan isn't nearly as smart or consistent as Lewis and Lewis handles pressure WAY WAY better than Juan.
Although I do think both Juan and Lewis have better car control then most drivers and that does help both of them when it comes to the New "less grippy" tires this year, which I tihnk has been catching Alonso and Kimi out.......there figuring it out now though and i think they will show that they are the fastest in F1 still.

point of interest, you may have noticed, Alonso no longer "CRANKS" the wheel really hard on turn in,(like previous years) something you could never do outside of a F1 car with super grippy tires, he is much more progressive with the wheel as required by the entry understeering / exit oversteering tires.

markabilly
13th August 2007, 23:46
JPM vs FA or JPM vs LH - hard to say, which pairing would produce more fuss. :p :
JA and JPM would definetly be more interesting, much cussing in Spanish and quick tempers :eek: ...now that would the show to see..none of that stiff upper lip nonsense about who goes first......pure face slapping entertainment ;)

markabilly
13th August 2007, 23:49
I

Lewis

point of interest, you may have noticed, Alonso no longer "CRANKS" the wheel really hard on turn in,(like previous years) something you could never do outside of a F1 car with super grippy tires, he is much more progressive with the wheel as required by the entry understeering / exit oversteering tires.
Noticed it and commented on why i do not think mclaren has the car set up exactly like FA wants....FA was doing it even with the run the entire race on one set of tires of a few years ago more than he does now.....

leopard
14th August 2007, 05:28
you could tell Juan was not as committed just by how he would not get in tip top shape like the other drivers. his out right speed and car control were F1 level forsure, but its hard to respect him when he doesn't try to get the most out of what god has given him.

Lewis Hamilton is doing a stellar job clearly, leading the championship almost all year. Pretty sure Montoya would not be there. I think Montoya (and Alonso)are quicker over 1 lap, but Juan isn't nearly as smart or consistent as Lewis and Lewis handles pressure WAY WAY better than Juan.
yes, approximately, although there must be strong reason why did Montoya not perform his utmost.

Although I do think both Juan and Lewis have better car control then most drivers and that does help both of them when it comes to the New "less grippy" tires this year, which I tihnk has been catching Alonso and Kimi out.......there figuring it out now though and i think they will show that they are the fastest in F1 still.
Not sure about the fastest driver, WDC is more package of strategy and talent of the driver the most important of which is being the fastest.

Neither am sure FA is terribly suffering from the new tires regulation. From what we see, McLaren is able to alter the position from the third to the first this year, with Renault where Alonso was driving as the first last year, which was a significant progress for McLaren. The change of the car and tires may cost him highly for adjustment, but pressure from the teammate and atmosphere of the team which was not totally comfortable for him reach each win with gave him higher cost than the struggle on the car and tire.

Kata89
19th August 2007, 12:04
I can't see JPM being faster than FA or LH if he wasn't faster than KR. Not at McLaren. Maybe at another team.