PDA

View Full Version : Old School Racing in 2008

muggle not
10th August 2007, 15:31
]http://www.osrct.com/index.htm (http://www.osrct.com/index.htm[/color)

Old School Racing Prepares For 2008 Debut

(8-8-07) In 2008, fans across the country will be introduced to a new racing series titled “The Old School Racing Champions Tour”. The twelve race series will feature retired to semi-retired stars of professional racing. NASCAR® Cup, Busch, and Truck Series winners as well as CART, Indy Car, and ARCA Series champions will be among the fan favorites competing on the circuit.

The events will be held in conjunction with NASCAR® races throughout the United States at a nearby track. For example, if the Cup series is running a Sunday event in North Carolina, a local short track will be the site of a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday OSRCT race.

The vehicles will be equally prepared and provided to the fifteen drivers at each 100 lap event. The series will transport the vehicles and provide crews for maintenance and adjustments for each race. Drivers will have the chance to not only race for charity but to also collect healthy prize money for their finishes.

Old School Racing managing partner Gene Weaver has been amazed at the early interest in the series. “We have talked to many eligible participants and sponsors and the outcome has been tremendous. At this point, every eligible driver that we have presented the OSR Champion's Tour to has agreed to compete in the series and is extremely excited about competing again. This is a unique opportunity for stars of the past to do what they do best, competitively compete for victory against some of their old rivals like they used to every Friday or Saturday night. After all, for these drivers, our motto say's it all, "Competitiveness is Bred Within and Remains for Life.”

To date, many top notch drivers have committed to the series. Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Buddy Baker, Geoff Bodine, Dave Marcis, Randy LaJoie, Tim Fedewa, Derrick Cope and others have all signed to compete in the inaugural season of the OSR Champion's Tour. Some thirty drivers will participate during the 2008 campaign.

Butch Fedewa, managing partner and driver liaison, says “I am really thrilled that fans will get to see their heroes race again. The drivers cut their teeth racing on short tracks and will again get the opportunity to compete Old School style.”

Sponsorship opportunities are available from; Series Title sponsor, Presenting sponsor to individual Vehicle Sponsors. OSR is hoping that past NASCAR® sponsors will come aboard and want to run their old paint schemes that were and are still so familiar to race fans throughout the United States.

Norm Weaver, OSR managing partner stated, "I know that race fans will get "cold chills" when they see one of the old nostalgic paint schemes competing once again along with the drivers they grew up seeing compete week in and week out. Heck, I do just talking about it."

Many important announcements will be forthcoming in the next couple of months. Fans and drivers alike can stay up to date with exciting announcements by logging on to the official series website www.osrct.com (http://www.osrct.com/).

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 18:21
]http://www.osrct.com/index.htm (http://www.osrct.com/index.htm[/color)

Old School Racing Prepares For 2008 Debut

(8-8-07) In 2008, fans across the country will be introduced to a new racing series titled “The Old School Racing Champions Tour”. The twelve race series will feature retired to semi-retired stars of professional racing. NASCAR® Cup, Busch, and Truck Series winners as well as CART, Indy Car, and ARCA Series champions will be among the fan favorites competing on the circuit.

The events will be held in conjunction with NASCAR® races throughout the United States at a nearby track. For example, if the Cup series is running a Sunday event in North Carolina, a local short track will be the site of a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday OSRCT race.

The vehicles will be equally prepared and provided to the fifteen drivers at each 100 lap event. The series will transport the vehicles and provide crews for maintenance and adjustments for each race. Drivers will have the chance to not only race for charity but to also collect healthy prize money for their finishes.

Old School Racing managing partner Gene Weaver has been amazed at the early interest in the series. “We have talked to many eligible participants and sponsors and the outcome has been tremendous. At this point, every eligible driver that we have presented the OSR Champion's Tour to has agreed to compete in the series and is extremely excited about competing again. This is a unique opportunity for stars of the past to do what they do best, competitively compete for victory against some of their old rivals like they used to every Friday or Saturday night. After all, for these drivers, our motto say's it all, "Competitiveness is Bred Within and Remains for Life.”

To date, many top notch drivers have committed to the series. Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Buddy Baker, Geoff Bodine, Dave Marcis, Randy LaJoie, Tim Fedewa, Derrick Cope and others have all signed to compete in the inaugural season of the OSR Champion's Tour. Some thirty drivers will participate during the 2008 campaign.

Butch Fedewa, managing partner and driver liaison, says “I am really thrilled that fans will get to see their heroes race again. The drivers cut their teeth racing on short tracks and will again get the opportunity to compete Old School style.”

Sponsorship opportunities are available from; Series Title sponsor, Presenting sponsor to individual Vehicle Sponsors. OSR is hoping that past NASCAR® sponsors will come aboard and want to run their old paint schemes that were and are still so familiar to race fans throughout the United States.

Norm Weaver, OSR managing partner stated, "I know that race fans will get "cold chills" when they see one of the old nostalgic paint schemes competing once again along with the drivers they grew up seeing compete week in and week out. Heck, I do just talking about it."

Many important announcements will be forthcoming in the next couple of months. Fans and drivers alike can stay up to date with exciting announcements by logging on to the official series website www.osrct.com (http://www.osrct.com/).

This could be fun....but I bet wont be an easy slam dunk either. Unless NASCAR really puts their stamp of approval on it, it will be slighted...

muggle not
10th August 2007, 18:33
You can check here for the rules and schedule:

http://www.osrct.com/images/OSR.pdf (http://www.osrct.com/images/OSR.pdf)

I hope this thing flies as it could really be lots of fun and interesting.

Jonesi
10th August 2007, 21:49
Thought it might be interesting to know how far away these short tracks are from their associated Nascar race. Spent 20 minutes on Google maps getting nowhere trying to route Southside to RIR. Can someone who knows the area tell us are these tracks close?

muggle not
10th August 2007, 23:36
Thought it might be interesting to know how far away these short tracks are from their associated Nascar race. Spent 20 minutes on Google maps getting nowhere trying to route Southside to RIR. Can someone who knows the area tell us are these tracks close?
Which tracks are you interested in. Southside is an easy drive from Richmond and isn't very far. Here is a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&um=1&q=southside+speedway&near=Richmond,+VA&fb=1&cid=0,0,7189318866351516916&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Concord is very close to lowes. For me, Concord, Hickoty, and South Boston are all fairly easy drives and I would probably attend at least 2 to 4 of the races.

Jonesi
11th August 2007, 00:51
Initially I was thinking it was going to be like Indy 500 IRP/ORP thing where diehards run across town for the race. Now I realize they are going to happen before any of the events at the big tracks happen.

(BTW I just noticed on the list of eligible drivers they have Mark Donohue and Rodger Ward!)

The Eligibility rules are heavy biased toward Nascar, any Cup, Busch or CTS pole or race winner can run. However CART IndyCar & ARCA drivers have to be champions or win I500. So racers like Scott Goodyear or Adrian Fernandez? aren't eligible. No allowance for Silver Crown, Sprint or Midget experiance either.

Don't specify car, with over 400 obsolete CoY available at the end of the year, that shouldn't be a problem.

Galveston dunes
11th August 2007, 01:38
Seems to me I said something about this sounding like a good idea about two years ago. Its got my vote as a viewerHeck I'd even spend money to go to a few tracks.Thanks for posting Muggles.

Sparky1329
11th August 2007, 04:57
What a great idea! That should be a lot of fun. Thanks muggles. :D :up:

Aussie12
11th August 2007, 07:05
...The vehicles will be equally prepared and provided to the fifteen drivers at each 100 lap event...

...with some cars being more equal that others? ;) :D