PDA

View Full Version : What's the most unusual thing you've driven?

Hazell B
9th August 2007, 00:30
This morning we were lent a 1954 Nuffield tractor, which I had to tow off with somebody's Land Rover as the battery hadn't charged very well.

Hand throttle, no brakes to speak of and tyres that were first used during the Great War :mark:

The lack of brakes made towing it off about as much fun as stopping a rhino with your bare hands, but we survived and used the tractor all day.

I want one now :D :D :D

janneppi
9th August 2007, 07:05
1960's Valmet tractor or a BMP-1 tank(ish).
Valmet sit's in my dad's garage replaced by a bigger, 1979 Valmet, great substitute for a snow blower. :)

GridGirl
9th August 2007, 08:22
A JCB Fasttrak tractor through Warwichshire and along the road that Topgear built. You cant complain at a top speed of 40mph, a fridge, air cushioned seat and one disc cd player.

Once you drive a tractor it opens up a whole new world. Now I'm desperate to go to Diggerland in castleford. :D JCB racing sounds fun...

CarlMetro
9th August 2007, 10:52
I drove one of these http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Claas-Lexion-570-2.jpg/800px-Claas-Lexion-570-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Claas-Lexion-570-2.jpg&h=600&w=800&sz=100&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ODakrao9B0Qy4M:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DClaas%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enGB218GB218%26sa%3DN last summer, complete with 25' cutter bar on the front. Fortunately I had the owner of it besides me all the time I was in it. I couldn't have been that bad because he's asked me to go back and help this weekend coming :D

LotusElise
9th August 2007, 11:56
An Allchin traction engine from about 1912. You don't really drive it as such, just keep an eye on the pressure gauge and steer. The chain-drive steering takes some getting used to, as it's about 3 turns of the wheel to shift the front a degree. It was fortunate that it only travelled at about 5 mph.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th August 2007, 12:04
Most unusual I've driven is probably a 2wd Massey Ferguson, although my dad has driven a steam engine.

Drew
9th August 2007, 12:17
My uncle's combine harvester for about 10 seconds :p :

KILOHMUNNS
9th August 2007, 13:07
Abbott Tank was my favorite along with a Land Rover with the steering reversed.

Hondo
9th August 2007, 14:24
Mexico. An unknown motor, mounted in an unknown frame, with a steering column coming through the frame with a board bolted to the column that served as the steering wheel. Welded to the frame was a homemade pedal rig with gas, brake(hah!), and clutch. A sheet of plywood had been bolted across the frame to which a folding lawn chair had been nailed down for the driver. Next to the driver, a large, square metal container of unknown origin was tied down to the plywood to serve as the fuel tank. Four tires, all different brands with varying degrees of wear completed the set up. Put on your goggles and go! It was actually pretty fast and I kept looking down to make sure the nails holding the chair weren't pulling out.

Sir Galahad
9th August 2007, 15:34
My uncle's combine harvester for about 10 seconds :p :
Was that the last 10 seconds of it's working life?

I've driven... one of those plastic little tykes cars.

Iain
9th August 2007, 16:04
A Muddlebug at Kinderland in Scarborough. You pedalled with your hands and steered with your feet. :crazy: :p :

jim mcglinchey
9th August 2007, 17:18
with a board bolted to the column that served as the steering wheel. out.

I remember Lester driving an old dunger on its last journey to the scrapyard and the "steering wheel" was a pair of Vise-Grips clamped to the end of the column.

oily oaf
10th August 2007, 07:11
Ag ag ag ag ag Quality thread this :D
You know what guys, I'd pay top dollar to see you lot in a Wacky Races/Gumball Rally stylee cross country race. Say from Leighton Buzzard to Oshawa with the winner recieving a crisp fiver and a signed copy of Lulu & Lonnie Go A Little Bit Country.
Yeah that's it. Hazell could be Dick Dastardly in her tractor with knives coming outta the wheels and Carl could be Penelope Pitstop in his combine harvester stopping every 5 minutes to touch up his eyeliner :mad:
Muttley? Gotta be Jimbo wiith his mole grips clamped firmly to his column.
(bares teeth and launches into a prolonged bout of ashmatic laughter) :dog:

dime3
10th August 2007, 07:51
None so far but would like to drive a bulldozer. :D

ChrisS
10th August 2007, 10:51
a Pinzgauer 6x6, one of the best off-road cars ever. That thing could take abuse

luvracin
10th August 2007, 17:36
A Bicycle that had goofy handlebars where if you turned them left, the wheel went right.

If you could ride 10 meters without falling you would win a prize.

Nobody on that day won.

jim mcglinchey
10th August 2007, 21:23
[quote="oily oaf"]

...and another set latched onto my neck...thats what I call autoerotic ( snigger, snigger )

RaceFanStan
11th August 2007, 06:05
I once drove a Caterpillar 416 backhoe for a few hours. :D
I've had no training but I did very well moving dirt from a dirt pile to a pipe. :D

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/00/cat416.jpg

Hazell B
11th August 2007, 20:10
... unknown motor ... unknown frame ... board bolted to the column ... homemade pedal rig ... sheet of plywood ... folding lawn chair ... nailed down ... metal container ... unknown origin ... tied ... tires, all different brands ....

That sounds remarkably like my old Land Rover 90, until ....

It was actually pretty fast .....

Then I knew it wasn't :mark:

We were given use of a 1954 Ferguson tractor yesterday, which was original yet sounded like the average boy racer's car of today. I have no idea how it managed to sound so nice!

Dave B
16th August 2007, 17:29
The Spirit of Free Enterprise, if we're including cross-channel ferries. :p

Iain
16th August 2007, 21:02
Oh, that reminds me. I 'drove' a Glasgow underground train when I was nine. :D Well I say driving. They let us into the cabin one by one and we were told to press the Brake button and beep the horn when approaching a station. :D

Hondo
20th August 2007, 13:25
Oh, that reminds me. I 'drove' a Glasgow underground train when I was nine. :D Well I say driving. They let us into the cabin one by one and we were told to press the Brake button and beep the horn when approaching a station. :D

Now thats cool!

tsarcasm
29th August 2007, 16:55
I drove a modern Catherham7 w/a zetec motor, a few years back. I had heard all the 'legends' but you must actually remove your shoes before sitting down if you are to clutch and pedal anywhere :)

Easy Drifter
29th August 2007, 18:40
A little mundane after some of the others. The first Pontiac Trans Am Firebird. I mean the first. Vin000001. It had some goodies that no regular or even racing Firebird had. Top speed at GM test track had been 224mph! Geared when I had it for about 175. You should have seen the look on the Covette driver's face when I shifted into 5th (at 160 on the 401 at 2am; no traffic is those days) Trans Am's did not have ZF 5 speed gearboxes then.
Nor 4 downdraft Webers. This one did.

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:25
a train :-) OK..I have not driven it but I was in the cabine :-)...OK it was standing :-)...

leopard
5th December 2007, 09:52
You might not buy legal ticket.

John Deere, it has the odd midst seat.

Magnus
5th December 2007, 10:21
Cessna, at least that is unusual for me...
Huge wheelloader
Boat, 173 metres long

leopard
5th December 2007, 10:31
Cessna, at least that is unusual for me...
Beautiful name, she must be beautiful, you are lucky guy for knowing her closely

FrankenSchwinn
4th January 2008, 14:26
Mac 18 wheeler circa 1960something and/or a 60,000 ton forklift

DavePI2
7th January 2008, 00:41
most unusual thing I ever drove was a 1966 vw truck. Anyone remember those? I think they were only sold in the states for two years. That was the first vehickle I owned.

David

tsarcasm
17th January 2008, 07:20
the van w/a truckbed?