PDA

View Full Version : A new one on me.

CarlMetro
5th August 2007, 02:46
Most of you know that I am a bit of a mobile DJ. In fact I've been doing functions for more than 18 years. These days I do around 50 shows a year although when I was at my peek I was doing well over 100 shows a year.

In that time I've encountered many different things. I once did a punk wedding at a 5* London hotel where the bride and groom po-goed to Pretty Vacant for their first dance, I've played for football stars, politicians, played alongside a 9 piece mariachi band, have done charity auctions, black tie balls in the middle of a farmers field and countless other strange and wonderful gigs. However all of them pale into mediocrity after tonight's show.

I was booked to do a wedding at a venue where I do a fair bit of work as my agent has the residency there. It's a nice country hotel in between Maidenhead and Slough, a venue where during the 1990's the England football team used to stay.

Dinner was finished and the speeches were in full swing just as I arrived. Speeches over, everyone left the room and went to the bar area whilst I set up. Put on some background music and went off to speak with the bride and groom to introduce myself and check that the first dance I had been told was correct. I found the bride and told her who I was and asked her if the first dance was correct, she said it was but they wouldn't be doing a first dance now as there was a small problem.

It's not the first time someone has said they no longer want to do a first dance and explained this to the bride and said that was fine. She said she still wanted to but the small fact that the husband-to-be hadn't shown up at the church had made it slightly difficult :s hock:

She said that she still wanted the party to go on, as the rest of the day had already done so, and I have to say that it was a fantastic night, everybody really up for the party, even the grooms mum and dad :\

It don't matter how experienced you are about life, there's always something new just around the corner..........

billiaml
5th August 2007, 03:14
That's for sure! It's a good thing everyone in attendance had a nice time -- even tho the one absent party has a lot of explaining to do.

tinchote
5th August 2007, 03:23
Man, now I want to know how the story goes on! :D

LeonBrooke
5th August 2007, 07:30
Pretty sad for the woman.

What did you say?

Ian McC
5th August 2007, 09:25
Isn't the tradition that if the Groom fails to show then the Best Man takes his place?

Sounds like it was an expensive wedding as well, hell he better have a good excuse, "I overslept" is not going to be enough to save his wedding tackle ;) Like Tin I would like to know what happened next!

Anyway, as long as you get paid Carl :D

BeansBeansBeans
5th August 2007, 10:31
Brilliant. The show must go on!

jim mcglinchey
5th August 2007, 12:14
..that started to read like one of those " I never thought it would happen to me " readers letters from Club, Penthouse et al, but I'm glad to hear you didnt take advantage of the situation, Carl.

Hazell B
6th August 2007, 09:03
You hear about people getting cold feet, but when the almost in-laws stay for the day it just proves some humans have a much better nature than me - I'd have been out hunting the chicken down ready to stone him to death with the new toaster and towel collection from the foyer :p :

Donney
6th August 2007, 10:30
That's definitely a good one Carl, did the groom showed up later in the evening?

Iain
6th August 2007, 12:25
Good attitude to have. If he doesn't show up, stuff him, it'll go on without him. :)

CarlMetro
6th August 2007, 12:45
That's definitely a good one Carl, did the groom showed up later in the evening?

If he's wise I doubt if he'll ever show his face anywhere near her or her family again :\

Whilst most were in good spirits, there were some who most definately weren't.

AndySpeed
6th August 2007, 14:45
All that planning and time goes in and then... that! :s hock:

Let us know if you ever find out what happened next, Carl.

luvracin
6th August 2007, 15:49
WOW. Grooms parents still showed!! Thats Awesome!!