PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2008 Rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alfa Fan
2nd August 2007, 14:53
Into August and the first news about the 2008 season is beginning to surface.

MN reported yesterday that BTC Racing are in the process of building two brand new Lexus IS220s for 2008. Chris Stockton will continue to lead the team and will be joined by a new driver in the second car.

As expected, Motorbase Performance are planning to upgrade to a pair of SEAT Leons (probabily ex-2006 BTCC) for 2008.

Rick Kerry is hoping to return next year in the BMW 120d that he and his team West Suffolk Racing have been developing during the year.

SEAT have pretty much confirmed they will continue as a works team into 2008, and are considering switching to diesel.

Xero Competition are also working on a pair of new shape Lexus IS200s for next years championship.

Cars from the Swedish STCC championship are to become eligible for the British series, creating the prospect of Audis, Volvos and Mercedes' to compete in the UK series alongside FIA S2000 & UK S2000 homologated cars.

Martyn Bell wants to upgrade to BMW 320sis for next season, running a pair of cars for himself and Kelvin Burt.

A-Tech Racing plan to continue with their current pair of Alfa Romeo 156s in 2008. They hope to have a pair of Alfa Romeo 147 S2000 cars by the start of the 2009 season.

BDunnell
2nd August 2007, 15:55
MN reported yesterday that BTC Racing are in the process of building two brand new Lexus IS220s for 2008. Chris Stockton will continue to lead the team and will be joined by a new driver in the second car.

If this materialises, it's excellent news. Stockton deserves a new car for his excellent performances in an old one this year.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd August 2007, 15:58
Isn't the Lexus IS220 a 2.2litre instead of a 2.0 litre??? :s Lexus don't currently have a 2.0 in their model range.

VkmSpouge
2nd August 2007, 16:44

As expected, Motorbase Performance are planning to upgrade to a pair of SEAT Leons (probabily ex-2006 BTCC) for 2008.

Rick Kerry is hoping to return next year in the BMW 120d that he and his team West Suffolk Racing have been developing during the year.

SEAT have pretty much confirmed they will continue as a works team into 2008, and are considering switching to diesel.

Xero Competition are also working on a pair of new shape Lexus IS200s for next years championship.

Cars from the Swedish STCC championship are to become eligible for the British series, creating the prospect of Audis, Volvos and Mercedes' to compete in the UK series alongside FIA S2000 & UK S2000 homologated cars.

Martyn Bell wants to upgrade to BMW 320sis for next season, running a pair of cars for himself and Kelvin Burt.

A-Tech Racing plan to continue with their current pair of Alfa Romeo 156s in 2008. They hope to have a pair of Alfa Romeo 147 S2000 cars by the start of the 2009 season.

We'll see how much of this comes to pass. I wonder if there will be any BTC-spec cars in the field next year? I can imagine the Honda Integras still being a fairly decent prospect for next year.

Alfa Fan
2nd August 2007, 17:14
I think the Lexus will be the IS220 model, but with a 2-litre engine based on something in the Lexus/Toyota range.

Henry Cutts
2nd August 2007, 17:51

Its Team AFM Racing.

Alfa Fan
2nd August 2007, 17:52
West Suffolk built the car and was involved in developing it I think, not sure though!

Henry Cutts
2nd August 2007, 18:01
West Suffolk built the car and was involved in developing it I think, not sure though!

No Rick and his team built the car and are developing it.

peewhee
2nd August 2007, 18:14
I wonder if there will be any BTC-spec cars in the field next year?

Erkut Kizilirmak is intending the run his Astra Sportshatch's next year!
Hopefully with a team-mate...

They are BTC Spec.

MattSmith
2nd August 2007, 18:54

I know it's probably only a wild rumour but I'd love to see Kelvin Burt racing again.

kmchow
2nd August 2007, 18:56
Erkut Kizilirmak is intending the run his Astra Sportshatch's next year!
Hopefully with a team-mate...

They are BTC Spec.
I thought he parked those as he was looking for an appropriate S2000 car for '08 campaign? OTOH, this is a "rumors" thread! :D

LiamM
2nd August 2007, 19:27
Isn't the Lexus IS220 a 2.2litre instead of a 2.0 litre??? :s Lexus don't currently have a 2.0 in their model range.

This has been covered beforehand in the Xero thread

They can use a 2.0 engine from the manufacturers range, in Japan the Altezza (same car rebadged) has a suitable engine.

For the record before the MG ZS and Chevvy Lacetti both only had/have 1.8l engines

Mike Jordan and Kartworld will hopefully have S2000 cars next year, the 3 Intregras will be back tho. Complete utter guess but they will be driven by John George, Simon Blackney & Adam Jordan (Still run with Team Eurotech)

VkmSpouge
2nd August 2007, 19:47
I know it's probably only a wild rumour but I'd love to see Kelvin Burt racing again.

Yeah Burt should be racing in the BTCC. I believe Martyn Bell had said something at the start of this year about getting a second car part way through the season for Burt to use.

PDS
2nd August 2007, 19:51

YEP... most are RUMOURS. Not many facts! A lot of guesses.

ATF
2nd August 2007, 21:19
The article in MN said BTC were having new bodyshells delivered in about 3 weeks, that looks quite definite...although I agree things may change in the next 8 months!!

Hopefully SEAT will be there as a works team, and Motorbase will become like the GR Asia team of the BTCC.

BDunnell
2nd August 2007, 21:26
Hopefully SEAT will be there as a works team, and Motorbase will become like the GR Asia team of the BTCC.

Isn't Team Air Cool, run by GR Asia, the GR Asia team of the BTCC?

Alfa Fan
2nd August 2007, 22:44
YEP... most are RUMOURS. Not many facts! A lot of guesses.

But that's part of the fun of the silly season, lot's of talk and speculation until February next year when things will start to be firmed up. No harm in rumours, occasionally the end up being true......

tdb
2nd August 2007, 23:39
Adam Jordan (Still run with Team Eurotech)

Has anyone told Andrew he has a brother? or Mike he has another son?

AlexD
2nd August 2007, 23:47

Oh yes, seeing how incredibly sucessful Pinkney was with the JSM 147, I'm sure he wants to drive one again! ;)

Although, if he and smarsh do, I guess the cars would look like this
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/5212/ALFA_ROMEO_147_BTCCS2000PROCAR.html

I'd much prefer to see a Super2000 159, or, in my wildest dreams, Thommo obliterating the field in his N-technology WTCC Alfa

ATF
3rd August 2007, 10:46
Isn't Team Air Cool, run by GR Asia, the GR Asia team of the BTCC?

Yes...I just meant like GR Asia (WTCC) are like the SEAT satellite team now and (on occasion) just as competitive.

But it would be good if GR/Air Cool got a Leon next year too!

Alfa Fan
3rd August 2007, 10:54
I would expect GR Asia (Team Air Cool) would be able to get a Leon if Motorbase run them. They'll still have some slightly older spec ones ala the Toledo they're running this year.

Rusty
3rd August 2007, 10:55
Has anyone told Andrew he has a brother? or Mike he has another son?

Nice 1 TDB.......

LiamM
3rd August 2007, 18:42
I wasnt far off! I got the A right! Its quite embarrasing, I have the Team Eurotech calendar up behind me, this month is Andrew Jordan in his Rallycross Mini!

Brooklands78
3rd August 2007, 19:16

It would be good to see Martyn Bell in a more competitive car - the old E46 is well past it's sell-by date and, although Martyn and the team have done wonders with it, I do feel we are not seeing the best of Mr. Bell. A new car will hopefully see him a regular top ten finisher.

AlexD
3rd August 2007, 21:50
the old E46 is well past it's sell-by date .

I'm not hugely convinced by that, but yes, the new BMW should see better results.

VkmSpouge
4th August 2007, 00:21
It would be good to see Martyn Bell in a more competitive car - the old E46 is well past it's sell-by date

No it isn't. It's a 2005 model, same age as Mike Jordan's Honda and I think it is younger than Adam Jones' SEAT.

Brooklands78
4th August 2007, 06:30
No it isn't. It's a 2005 model, same age as Mike Jordan's Honda and I think it is younger than Adam Jones' SEAT.

...but no match for the E90's!

cos
4th August 2007, 14:41
Jordan:

“I think I'll run the Integra again next season and I don't think they'll do anything too bad with the rules. The car is nicely competitive but not dominant and as a privateer team, it is still a bloody good car to have.”

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~152307.htm

Alfa Fan
4th August 2007, 14:53
Well it looks like there should still be a good number of BTC-Touring cars out there next year. Jordan, George and Blanckley in Integras and Kizilirmak and possibly a team-mate in the Astras. Maybe even Kartworld will run the MGs again although I think there looking to get S2000 cars.

VkmSpouge
4th August 2007, 16:05
It would be good for Jordan to retain the Integra for another season. It's a fine car and should still be quite competitive.

peewhee
4th August 2007, 16:14
Maybe even Kartworld will run the MGs again

Please god, NO!

I think it has been proved this year that they have lost their ability to be competitive...

Sell them to a britcar team, or even better, put them in a museum!

Rusty
4th August 2007, 16:23
Jason Hughes looked pretty competitive to me at Snetterton???

VkmSpouge
4th August 2007, 17:50
Please god, NO!

I think it has been proved this year that they have lost their ability to be competitive...

Why do you say that? Jason Hughes has picked 10 points so far (compared to 11 this time last year) and seems about as fast as he ever has been in the MG. Solidly in the midfield.

reidy_fan
4th August 2007, 18:58
okay a few silly season things from me, 99.9999999% will probably be wrong but according to my crystal ball.........

Total Control to enter a car for Jonathan Adam possibly an ex WTCC seat leon or if lacking in budget an ex motorbase toledo

Stefan Hogetts to join Mat Jackson at Jackson's M/sport

Mike Jordan to have another Integra for Andrew

Tom Boardman to join the series in a self built Peaguot (sp)

sorry crystal ball becoming all fuzzy...nope its gone

MBailey06
4th August 2007, 21:39
Even though I don't think it'll happen, I think Jonathan Adam has showed he is good enough to be in the BTCC. He is what Mat Jackson was in 2006 and look what happened to Mat in the right kit. My guess and hope is that he will be Plato's teammate in '08.

reidy_fan
5th August 2007, 11:51
Even though I don't think it'll happen, I think Jonathan Adam has showed he is good enough to be in the BTCC. He is what Mat Jackson was in 2006 and look what happened to Mat in the right kit. My guess and hope is that he will be Plato's teammate in '08.

that would be a dream come true for Jonathan and all his loyal fans, would be great and reckonhe could do as good a job as Turner but meanwhile on planet earth I dont se it happening

LiamM
5th August 2007, 17:22
It would be good for Jordan to retain the Integra for another season. It's a fine car and should still be quite competitive.

I think if Mike wins the Independent Drivers Championship he should change to a competivitve S2000 car for '08 to enable him to fully defend his title. But as I mentioned before, it would be good for Team Eurotech to keep the car, as it would a good starting for Andrew Jackson to start in the BTCC with

nicemms
5th August 2007, 20:48
I think Andrew Jackson will be ready for the btcc next year.

Speaking of the Renault Clio championship I think Stefan Hodgetts is worthy of a btcc drive.

tisme
6th August 2007, 00:38
What's the chance of seeing more Vectra's out next year?

MBailey06
6th August 2007, 07:54
I at one point thought that Erkut and a teammate might move to the Vectra and replace the Astra, but I'm not so sure now, but if he did, it could improve his chances of more regular top 10 finishes no end.
Another driver who I think deserves a BTCC drive is Martin Byford. I don't know what with but I think he is good enough.

Iain
6th August 2007, 11:53
I think Andrew Jackson will be ready for the btcc next year.

Taking photos and driving at the same time? :mark:

nicemms
6th August 2007, 19:10
Taking photos and driving at the same time? :mark:

Oops. Being on holiday is not doing my brain any favours! Next thing I'll be saying Jason Neal! :D

Alfa Fan
8th August 2007, 19:02
Robertshaw Racing are going to graduate to the BTCC next year with a two-car team. They have yet to reveal which car or drivers they will run. The team currently run Michael Doyle, Chris Dymond and Alan Taylor in the Clio Cup UK & David Phillips, James Olden, Keith Issatt and Taylor in Britcar.

Northern Monkey
8th August 2007, 22:21
Source?

cookingfat
8th August 2007, 23:15
Source?

HP?

Alfa Fan
9th August 2007, 13:08
Motorsport News.

tyreman2
9th August 2007, 16:40
Source?

Source? who said you need a source to post on a rumour thread.
I believe their is a rumour going round that Team Air Cool are running 2 cars for the rest of the season. Thats not true.
But I am sure if any potential drivers may be reading this it could be arranged. (maybe not Brands Eh!)

tyreman2
9th August 2007, 16:44
Just for the record Adam's Toledo was built in November 2005,The Motorbase cars however are much older than Martyn's BMW

Northern Monkey
9th August 2007, 18:20
I believe their is a rumour going round that Team Air Cool are running 2 cars for the rest of the season. Thats not true.
But I am sure if any potential drivers may be reading this it could be arranged. (maybe not Brands Eh!)

No-one said you did - I'm just curious where it came from...

Dickie L'Amour
9th August 2007, 19:17
Sources are always preferential to give any rumour credibility. Otherwise, fantasy becomes rumour becomes fact... leaving no-one really knowing what's happening.

PDS
12th August 2007, 20:39

If you read the interview on crash.net, Chris Stockton does not say they are buildng two new Lexus cars... What the report says is, Stockton admitted that discussion had already started over the possibility of running the latest generation of the IS next season – with the similarities between old and new cars meaning the team may simply need to just re-shell its current cars for the new campaign.

It also goes on to say that Chris Stockton said... "There is a chance of us using the new shape car next season but to be honest I'd rather go and get a BMW and trade places with the guys up there as it is mighty hard how we are trying to do it. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket!"

Nothing definite, except that Chris and the guys at BTC Racing want to be back in the BTCC in 2008... I would rather see him in a BMW!

Drew
12th August 2007, 20:43
We can never get enough of Lexus rumours can we? :p :

Alfa Fan
13th August 2007, 00:43
If you read the interview on crash.net, Chris Stockton does not say they are buildng two new Lexus cars... What the report says is, Stockton admitted that discussion had already started over the possibility of running the latest generation of the IS next season – with the similarities between old and new cars meaning the team may simply need to just re-shell its current cars for the new campaign.

It also goes on to say that Chris Stockton said... "There is a chance of us using the new shape car next season but to be honest I'd rather go and get a BMW and trade places with the guys up there as it is mighty hard how we are trying to do it. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket!"

Nothing definite, except that Chris and the guys at BTC Racing want to be back in the BTCC in 2008... I would rather see him in a BMW!

Yeah sorry, I saw that interview after I had posted. My post is accurate to what MN reported, but obviously the direct quotes from Chris suggest that the Lexus plan is far less developed than MN reported.

tintin
13th August 2007, 12:08
Robertshaw Racing are going to graduate to the BTCC next year with a two-car team. They have yet to reveal which car or drivers they will run. The team currently run Michael Doyle, Chris Dymond and Alan Taylor in the Clio Cup UK & David Phillips, James Olden, Keith Issatt and Taylor in Britcar.

I would predict that they will take two Clio drivers into the BTCC.
But not necessarily two they are running this year.

VkmSpouge
13th August 2007, 12:37

Nah, I want to see them plough on with the Lexus :D

PDS
13th August 2007, 12:52
Nah, I want to see them plough on with the Lexus :D

I think Chris and the guys have worked miracles with the Lexus this year. But they have had to work flat-out every meeting to get the car on the grid.

I would rather see them in a proven car like the BMW, fighting for podium places. I am not sure they could do that with their Lexus.

Anyway, there should be two new shape Lexus out next year run, by Xero Competition, so it won't be missed...

peewhee
13th August 2007, 12:55
the Lexus plan is far less developed than MN reported.

Not for the first time has MN not quite got it right!

MBailey06
13th August 2007, 20:00
I don't know how much truth there is in this but I read on another forum that Classic Touring Car Driver Stacey Vickers is hoping to drive a Mazda of some kind in next year's BTCC, probably the Mazda 3.

Allyc85
13th August 2007, 20:09
I really hope BTC racing stick with Lexus, I dont want the BTCC turning into the WTCC with loads of beemers :(

VkmSpouge
13th August 2007, 21:55
I don't know how much truth there is in this but I read on another forum that Classic Touring Car Driver Stacey Vickers is hoping to drive a Mazda of some kind in next year's BTCC, probably the Mazda 3.

Well it is on their website (http://www.oddballracing.com/news.htm), so they're looking at it but whether it happens is another thing entirely. That said it would be nice to see a Mazda in the championship.

mikecapener
14th August 2007, 15:34

Too late, Gavin Smith has signed to drive a leon for the last three meetings of the season.

peewhee
14th August 2007, 20:48
I was under the impression you had some connection with the team?!?

tyreman2
15th August 2007, 01:06
Too late, Gavin Smith has signed to drive a leon for the last three meetings of the season.
My post was on 9th August and no deal had been done,the team had spoken to many drivers over the last few weeks and we didn't want Gavin to be put of by a rumour that might implie that we already had a driver

tyreman2
15th August 2007, 01:08
I was under the impression you had some connection with the team?!?
well sussed!!

cos
15th August 2007, 21:36

They'll be there for Knockhill and Thruxton this year with Alan Taylor, hoping for two cars next year.

tintin
15th August 2007, 22:16
They'll be there for Knockhill and Thruxton this year with Alan Taylor, hoping for two cars next year.

In a Honda Integra

VXRDartford
17th August 2007, 05:55

Looks like that is true!!! and for Brands!!

Source: btcc.net, crash.net, autosport.com etc.

peewhee
22nd August 2007, 21:01
So quick re-cap..

BTC Racing intend to be out in 2008 with either two brand new Lexus IS220s. Or if Chris Stockton gets his way, two BMW's. Chris will continue to lead the team and will be joined by a new driver in the second car.

Motorbase Performance have announced that they are planning to upgrade to a pair of SEAT Leons (ex-2006 BTCC) for 2008.

Rick Kerry is hoping to return next year in the BMW 120d that he and his team AFM Racing with the help of West Suffolk Racing have been developing during the year.

Xero Competition are also looking to return, working on a pair of new shape Lexus IS200s for next years championship.

Martyn Bell is hoping to upgrade to BMW 320sis for next season, running a pair of cars for himself and Kelvin Burt.

A-Tech Racing plan to continue with their current pair of Alfa Romeo 156s in 2008. David Pinkney will continue to drive but Richard Marsh will stand-down making an opening for a new driver in the second car.

Robertshaw racing will enter the BTCC with at least one Honda Integra for 2008. They currently own the ex-Simon Blanckley car and have shown interest in the only other Integra for sale.

The last avaliable Dynamics Integra has been sold recently to take part in the 2008 Championship!

GR Asia is looking at doing a full season with their Seat Leons.

Akas Racing is expecting to continue with the Astra SportHatch. But Erkut has expressed the need for a team-mate to join him in a second car.

James Kaye has been linked with a return to the Championship in an undisclosed car and team.

Rumors continue about a third manufacturer entry.

Alfa Fan
22nd August 2007, 21:06
The last avaliable Dynamics Integra has been sold recently to take part in the 2008 Championship!

To whom? Or at least a clue?

tdb
22nd August 2007, 23:55
To whom? Or at least a clue?

The rumour is out there for all to find.

A father and son team would be my guess.

cos
23rd August 2007, 09:40

Stefan and Chris Hodgetts would be awesome ;) ... but presumably we're talking Andrew Jordan, who's proven quite handy in his first full season of circuit racing.

Jona
23rd August 2007, 12:31

Tom Boardman?

BeeJ_UK
23rd August 2007, 13:10

My guess would be James kay

cookingfat
23rd August 2007, 14:53

John and Jamie Cleland?

Iain
23rd August 2007, 16:45
I thought that last night. :)

Les
23rd August 2007, 22:33
oh please no..... Jamie is not ready yet. He doesn't half take after his dad though - got in right old strop at Druids on Saturday - slammed door, kicked car, threw gloves....

mikecapener
24th August 2007, 01:06
My post was on 9th August and no deal had been done,the team had spoken to many drivers over the last few weeks and we didn't want Gavin to be put of by a rumour that might implie that we already had a driver

I apologise tyreman :( , I was not calling into question your knowledge just stating the fact. I hope you didn't take offence.

Iain
5th September 2007, 16:50
From reading MN in WH Smiths earlier, Robertshaw Racing have bought the ex-Tom Chilton/Mark Proctor Honda Civic Type-R for Michael Doyle to race next year. :)

VkmSpouge
5th September 2007, 17:06
From reading MN in WH Smiths earlier, Robertshaw Racing have bought the ex-Tom Chilton/Mark Proctor Honda Civic Type-R for Michael Doyle to race next year. :)

At first I thought it was odd that they would buy an Integra and then a Civic but then I remembered a lot of parts were used in the Integra from the Civic. Still don't know why they wouldn't buy another Integra...unless there were none for sale.

reidy_fan
5th September 2007, 19:50
possibly the civic was cheaper plus I remember TDB saying last year that proctor took a load of spares with the car including a shell etc. Good car assuming that the engines are done by the same crowd that does the TD ones. think that mickey will be able to run midfield with the car

see also in MN that jason Hughes/kartworld is looking at having a 3rd mg running next year

ATF
5th September 2007, 19:54
Rumors continue about a third manufacturer entry.

Rumours always continue about a third manufacturer entry!! Will there ever be one?!

VkmSpouge
5th September 2007, 21:19
possibly the civic was cheaper plus I remember TDB saying last year that proctor took a load of spares with the car including a shell etc. Good car assuming that the engines are done by the same crowd that does the TD ones. think that mickey will be able to run midfield with the car

Doyle has done a good job in the Clios, so he could do quite well in the Civic.

dwracing23
5th September 2007, 22:08
Well as we talk about one team coming in to the BTCC have we seen the end to Martyn Bell? I hope not but his car is for sale here: http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/11873/BMW_2005_super_2000_wtccbtcc.html

What does everyone think? Heard of a few new guys coming in but we wont know till a bit closer to March 08.

VkmSpouge
5th September 2007, 22:14
Bell has said previously he wants to upgrade to a BMW 320si E90 for next year and I guess selling his current car will help partially fund the purchase.

Alfa Fan
6th September 2007, 12:39
Yeah Martyn hopes to run himself and Kelvin Burt in a pair of E90 320SI so I would read this as positive news to that happening rather than Bell leaving the series.

Iain
6th September 2007, 17:55
Andrew Jordan's Clio for sale in Autosprout today. Two car Integra team with his old man next year as rumoured a few posts ago?

Allyc85
6th September 2007, 18:04
lol I came on here to say that!

Its got to be hasnt it, as mikes said hes keeping his and andrews doing a decent job in clios.

Alfa Fan
6th September 2007, 18:14
Yeah, its the obvious conclusion. Mike must have bought Dave Pinkney's old Integra from 2006 to run Andy in alongside him.

So that's

2005 Neal 2006 M.Jordan 2007 M.Jordan 2008 ?
2005 Eaves 2006 Pinkney 2007 - 2008 A.Jordan
2005 Howell 2006 Howell 2007 Blanckley/Taylor 2008 Taylor
2006 Neal 2007 George 2008 George
2006 Shedden 2007 - 2008 M.Jordan

Is what I'd guess at.

Iain
6th September 2007, 18:39
I'm confused. Why would he have bought the ex-Shedden car and the Pinkney car also?

reidy_fan
6th September 2007, 19:43
isnt the john george car the car dave pinkney used in 2006

Iain
6th September 2007, 19:44
No, he's got the 2006 title winner, as Alfa Fan's little list shows.

VkmSpouge
6th September 2007, 23:23
If Andrew Jordan and Mike Jordan end up racing in the BTCC next season when was the last time father and son raced in the series at the same time?

Iain
6th September 2007, 23:26
I can't think of any examples in the recent past. Not at the same time anyway.

Alfa Fan
6th September 2007, 23:31
I'm confused. Why would he have bought the ex-Shedden car and the Pinkney car also?

Good point...I'm not quite sure why I wrote that :o

BDunnell
6th September 2007, 23:37
I can't think of any examples in the recent past. Not at the same time anyway.

David and Jack Sears both raced in the BTCC, but, of course, not at the same time. However, more recent than that, Jimmy and Colin McRae both raced in the championship, and I believe they may have been the most recent father and son to compete (1990 and '92 respectively), albeit again not in the same year. Sadly, 'plans' I remember seeing reported to have Jimmy in the second Ecurie Ecosse Cavalier at Knockhill in 1992 came to nothing, otherwise they would have competed in the same race.

tintin
6th September 2007, 23:47
Chris Hodgetts in the late 80s and Stefan in 2004 are another father and son combination

...and of course you have Malcolm and Fiona Leggate as a father and daughter combination.

BDunnell
6th September 2007, 23:48
Chris Hodgetts in the late 80s and Stefan in 2004 are another father and son combination

Of course. How could I have forgotten that?

There was less separation between the appearances of the McRaes, though!

tintin
6th September 2007, 23:51
Jack and David Sears are the only father and son who have both won races in the BTCC though.

Iain
6th September 2007, 23:52
Steve Neal in the 60s, then Matt Neal in the present day. Jim Wheals who raced the ex-Rousesport Sierra Sapphire in 1993 at the Snetterton meeting, then his son Jay who drove the Team Varta Peugeot 306 in 2003 and their Honda Civic in 2004 is another one.

BDunnell
6th September 2007, 23:53
Jack and David Sears are the only father and son who have both won races in the BTCC though.

Ah, that's the interesting fact about them that I was trying to recall in my head. Thanks!

In the 'father and son' discussion, let's not forget Graham and Damon Hill. Did Jack Brabham ever start a BSCC race in the 1960s, I wonder?

kmchow
7th September 2007, 06:24
Yeah Martyn hopes to run himself and Kelvin Burt in a pair of E90 320SI so I would read this as positive news to that happening rather than Bell leaving the series.
I assume if he can sell his E46, he can then upgrade to a E90. If not, he'll continue racing his E46?

Northern Monkey
7th September 2007, 10:49
Well as we talk about one team coming in to the BTCC have we seen the end to Martyn Bell? I hope not but his car is for sale here: http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/11873/BMW_2005_super_2000_wtccbtcc.html

What does everyone think? Heard of a few new guys coming in but we wont know till a bit closer to March 08.

The car is for sale as Martyn plans towards 2008 - it isn't a sign he is leaving the BTCC.

peewhee
8th September 2007, 21:02
Dave Pinkney is still in the possession of his Integra!

BDunnell
9th September 2007, 00:51
Dave Pinkney is still in the possession of his Integra!

If I was him, I'd be racing it instead of that Alfa, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

tisme
17th September 2007, 01:51
Looking at the Motorbase website, http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk It does not seem as they have decided on drivers or even their cars for next year yet!
They have their Seats for sale there..

VkmSpouge
17th September 2007, 18:32
I wouldn't expect Motorbase to have any drivers confirmed yet and they have said they would like to upgrade to SEAT Leons, of course that will depend on cash.

PDS
17th September 2007, 22:55
Looking at the Motorbase website, http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk It does not seem as they have decided on drivers or even their cars for next year yet!
They have their Seats for sale there..

It has been mentioned on the Motorbase site that they hope to retain the services of Matt Allison for 2008...

But this is touring car racing... Anything can happen, and often does, when you least expect it!

cookingfat
10th October 2007, 00:36
As Tisme said earlier, If you read this from the Motorbase website, it doesn't seem that Motorbase have identified their drivers for next season yet!
http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/boss-blog.html

VkmSpouge
10th October 2007, 00:39
No surprise at this stage of the season. I doubt we'll hear about their drivers for next year before Christmas.

tisme
10th October 2007, 01:00
Vauxhall have announced one of their drivers already.
Andrew Jordan has been announced as driving with Dad at Eurotech.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vauxhall have already got their second driver sorted, as well as WSR and TD drivers!

It is never 'too early'!

tintin
10th October 2007, 08:08
Vauxhall have announced one of their drivers already.
Andrew Jordan has been announced as driving with Dad at Eurotech.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vauxhall have already got their second driver sorted, as well as WSR and TD drivers!

It is never 'too early'!

The difference is that Vauxhall are a works team and know where their budget is coming from next year.

Similarly Eurotech and Team Halfords are essentially family-based teams who will have legacy sponsorship in place, so the Jordans and Neals of the world know what they are likely to be doing.

Most independent teams are reliant on drivers bringing sponsorship with them, and aren't going to confirm drivers until those sponsors' cheques are in the bank.

...And October is far too early for most sponsors to be writing cheques for next April.

VkmSpouge
11th October 2007, 17:41
Arkas Racing want to expand to two cars next year (http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=764) with Erkut Kizilirmak in one of the Astras. No real surprise there but nice to see their intentions officially stated.

Alfa Fan
13th October 2007, 14:10
Martyn Bell has confirmed on Crash.Net Radio this morning that he will have a new car in 2008. Given his long-term BMW links its likely to be a 320SI E90

Ian McC
14th October 2007, 13:54
Rumour has Neal to VX racing next year? :eek:

LiamM
14th October 2007, 14:16
I can't see it. The Civic is getting better and better, I can see Neal going for the title with TD next year.

If Matt was to move away from TD, I think we would go to WTCC, not a sideways step

ATF
14th October 2007, 18:01
Rumour has Neal to VX racing next year? :eek:

It was the first I'd heard of it when Tim Harvey mentioned it in the ITV coverage! Would seem a strange move, especially as he has moved away from his family team before (including at Vauxhall/888 in 2002) and ended up going back and winning the title with them!

ATF
14th October 2007, 20:51
Just as I'd logged on to crash.net to check out the race reports, I was surprised to see announcements on 2008 already!!

Giovanardi and Neal confirmed at VX, Shedden to remain at Halfords and Plato and SEAT looking set to continue!

I've never known a finale day like it!! Maybe it's a credit to the championship that we've had so many confirmed announcements already!

Ian McC
14th October 2007, 22:44
I guess it was obvious, he changed teams before the start of the last race ;)

peewhee
15th October 2007, 02:41
Martyn Bell has confirmed on Crash.Net Radio this morning that he will have a new car in 2008. Given his long-term BMW links its likely to be a 320SI E90

Not necessarily!!!

Rusty
15th October 2007, 09:55
I guess it was obvious, he changed teams before the start of the last race ;)

Well said Ian....

Dave Clark
16th October 2007, 14:26
And who remembers EnckeSport who bought the two GA Motorsport BTC-spec Astra Coupes for 2007 who then bottled out last minute and were then looking at two S2000 cars for 2008? What might their intentions be?

So with Tom Chilton out of a drive at VXR where may he go next year?

RED VXR
16th October 2007, 15:44
Theres a rumour floating that arena motorsport are building 2 fords for 2008 and Tom may drive 1

Captain VXR
16th October 2007, 16:11
makes sense

VkmSpouge
16th October 2007, 17:11
And who remembers EnckeSport who bought the two GA Motorsport BTC-spec Astra Coupes for 2007 who then bottled out last minute

I think describing them as "bottled out" is harsh, they simply couldn't find anyone with funding.

DazzlaF1
16th October 2007, 23:10
And another one, whatever happened to that team that said they were getting a pair of Chevy Lacetti's and hiring Dan Eaves to drive one of them, (Clyde Valley i think they were called)?

MBailey06
17th October 2007, 07:52
Don't get everyone started on that again....

Dave Clark
17th October 2007, 12:08
Sorry I didnt mean bottle out in the litteral sense.... poor phrasing sorry!

I also heard the rumour about Arena building two Ford Focus' for Tom Chilton and another on Sunday at Thruxton!

peewhee
17th October 2007, 16:13
I also heard the rumour about Arena building two Ford Focus' for Tom Chilton and another on Sunday at Thruxton!
If you read some of the earlier posts here.. So did other people!

Allyc85
17th October 2007, 16:25
noo not the focus, the thing is as aero dynamic as a breeze block, we dont need another team moaning about straightline speed! Surely the mondeo makes better sense!

VkmSpouge
17th October 2007, 17:11
The new Mondeo does look good but I do prefer the Focus to it.

SEATFreak
17th October 2007, 17:52
Theres a rumour floating that arena motorsport are building 2 fords for 2008 and Tom may drive 1

The project has approval from Ford so perhaps some factory backing?

LiamM
17th October 2007, 18:13

Where did that come from?

VkmSpouge
17th October 2007, 18:26
It is part of the rumour, see touring car times.com.

VXRDartford
17th October 2007, 19:07
Apparently there are rumors in MN that James Thompson might be racing for team halfords and they might be running diesel cars.

Also apparently Rob Collard should be back for the whole season

LiamM
17th October 2007, 19:15
It is part of the rumour, see touring car times.com.

Cheers for that!

Could have some legs, I guess that Ford Motorsport budget is a bit slacker next year with Gronholm retiring from the WRC, might be some more money to go around?

peewhee
17th October 2007, 19:35

Having 'backing' from a manufacturer is slightly different to having their 'approval'!

Most cars in the BTCC have the 'approval' of the manufacturers, but not many receive 'backing'.

But until they officially announce their intentions... who knows? Lets' hope so.

cookingfat
17th October 2007, 19:39
Also apparently Rob Collard should be back for the whole season

He was lined-up to do a full season this year, but it never happened!

If GR Asia do decide to do a full season in the BTCC in 2008, then that would be ideal for Rob.

He didn't disgrace himself at Thruxton.

KILOHMUNNS
17th October 2007, 20:04

If GR Asia do decide to do a full season in the BTCC in 2008, then that would be ideal for Rob.

Don't know. Had a big shunt in one of the races going for a gap that wasn't there!

dwracing23
17th October 2007, 20:25
I think at this time of year every racer in the support races and most club racers want to be in this Championship! How many people make it, going on this year not alot. I know of at least four guys that are trying their hardest to get in, the result? Unlimited amounts of money, a bit of luck and more money! It would be great if some of the costs came down then we would see many, many cars on the grid - if this going to happen? NO the costs are going the other way, super tourer days!

Well done to Gio and Vauxhall, and good luck Matt for 08!

I hope to see the following guys next year in the BTCC: Paul O'Neil, Oli Wilkinson, Stefan Hodgetts, Jonny Adam and Darrelle Wilson! What does everyone think to that?

DazzlaF1
17th October 2007, 23:12

Aye he didnt, no points but he did plenty to put him in the frame for a decent mid-grid drive, maybe at GR Asia or Motorbase perhaps

MBailey06
18th October 2007, 07:32
He did get a point. He finished 10th in the final race, albeit 14 seconds adrift.

Perdita_X
18th October 2007, 11:54

Hopefully this will come through, although if I had a pound for every year the Ford rumour went round, BT would have 1 less employee, that's for sure!!!!!! ;)

MAX_THRUST
18th October 2007, 12:48
Stefan Hodgetts, should have made the grade a couple of years ago...What about Ed Pead, there are so many drivers that could have or should have made it, but that is motorsport for ya...

As for next year as long as Neal gets punted off first turn first lap ,first race, I will be happy.........Sorry MN fans.

What about Max Chilton, as well?

More dieselas, and how about a race in Wales, I know the season has been set but soon, Wales has got to be included. It is in Britain.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th October 2007, 14:31
In Autosport Chilton says that there is a '3rd manufacturer set to come in' and "I'd like to be with them. I'm confident but nothing is signed. If it happens it will be very good. I've got a massive sponsor on the side, and if the works deal does not come off, I'll race with them."

I presume he is talking about the Arena Fords.....

Phil H
18th October 2007, 16:33
MAX-THRUST, I dont think there will be a race in Wales for a long time, the two tracks they have dont have the facilities to cater for TOCA.

Andy Richards11
18th October 2007, 20:47
Would be so great to have Ford's back in the BTCC and in the championships 50th anniversary as well.

Red200
19th October 2007, 22:20
I think at this time of year every racer in the support races and most club racers want to be in this Championship! How many people make it, going on this year not alot. I know of at least four guys that are trying their hardest to get in, the result? Unlimited amounts of money, a bit of luck and more money! It would be great if some of the costs came down then we would see many, many cars on the grid - if this going to happen? NO the costs are going the other way, super tourer days!

Well done to Gio and Vauxhall, and good luck Matt for 08!

I hope to see the following guys next year in the BTCC: Paul O'Neil, Oli Wilkinson, Stefan Hodgetts, Jonny Adam and Darrelle Wilson! What does everyone think to that?

I would like to see Oli in a touring car

Ed
20th October 2007, 13:23
the problem with O'Neil and Collard is that they hardly set the trck alight on thier respective returns did they! Even smith got more out of the Leon then Collard did. I all up for having the old scvhool drivers back, but not O'Neil and Collard, but Ried and Thompson and the likes of that.

ATF
20th October 2007, 13:43
I would love to see Reidy back, although I can't ever see it happening! It was also nice to see a couple more international drivers in Menu and Coronel at the weekend! Bring back Rickard Rydell!! :D

BDunnell
20th October 2007, 15:22
the problem with O'Neil and Collard is that they hardly set the trck alight on thier respective returns did they! Even smith got more out of the Leon then Collard did.

I agree about Collard. To be fair, though, O'Neill was in a car that hasn't been all that competitive this year, and in a big field with little attrition it was always going to be hard to get into the points.

Iain
20th October 2007, 19:59
Paul was in a car that's had more hits this season than his sister in her whole recording career. :s

BDunnell
20th October 2007, 20:21
Paul was in a car that's had more hits this season than his sister in her whole recording career. :s

Oooh, you bitch! ;)

Iain
20th October 2007, 20:38
No no, you misunderstand. I wasn't being nasty towards Mel. :s I was meaning she's had a successful career and lots of hits over the past 10 years, but even that's not as much as that blue Toledo's had in 2007. :mark:

BDunnell
20th October 2007, 20:42
No no, you misunderstand. I wasn't being nasty towards Mel. :s I was meaning she's had a successful career and lots of hits over the past 10 years, but even that's not as much as that blue Toledo's had in 2007. :mark:

Sorry, Iain — I was being camply sarcastic! I knew you weren't being nasty.

BeansBeansBeans
20th October 2007, 21:59
No no, you misunderstand. I wasn't being nasty towards Mel.

Quite right too.

Anyone from Widnes who gets themselves on Top of the Pops is a hero in my book.

RaptorUK
21st October 2007, 12:29
Martyn Bell told me he was looking for a front wheel drive car for next year . . .

Ed
21st October 2007, 20:07
lest hope its not an alfa!!!!!!

DazzlaF1
21st October 2007, 23:40
In Autosport Chilton says that there is a '3rd manufacturer set to come in' and "I'd like to be with them. I'm confident but nothing is signed. If it happens it will be very good. I've got a massive sponsor on the side, and if the works deal does not come off, I'll race with them."

I presume he is talking about the Arena Fords.....

Ford, back as a WORKS outfit, now that would be brilliant.

But when i first read that, i thought to myself that it could be Chevrolet, but their company (GM) own Vauxhall dont they?

Northern Monkey
22nd October 2007, 15:28

It won't be!

AlexD
22nd October 2007, 18:00
A reckon a well set up 320I could still be very sucessfull, but oh well...

peewhee
22nd October 2007, 20:00
That's quite ironic. Martyn 'BMW' Bell looking at running a front wheel drive car. Yet according to Alan Gow on TTT, there are quite a few teams looking at the BMW for 2008!

tyreman2
22nd October 2007, 22:04
A well set up Alfa with a decent driver to do some testing and then race it would still be a top ten contender IMO

MBailey06
23rd October 2007, 07:55
Eoin Murray (when the car works) can prove that.

tisme
23rd October 2007, 09:17
Eoin Murray (when the car works) can prove that.

His highest place was 7th.

Hardly championship winning form!

VkmSpouge
23rd October 2007, 11:36
Eoin Murray needed more cash and luck. 7th place was scant reward for his and the team's efforts on a shoestring budget.

MBailey06
23rd October 2007, 11:51

I was answering that in good hands the alfa could still produce the goods if the reliability is worked on.

AlexD
23rd October 2007, 13:46
I was answering that in good hands the alfa could still produce the goods if the reliability is worked on.

Just watch this years Valencia WTCC races. Of course that was running on advans, but there's no real reason why with the right amount of testing the car should go like that on dunlops.

Dickie L'Amour
24th October 2007, 17:06

Eoin's pace in the Alfa was never in doubt - his lack of results was down to some rotten reliability with the car. Nothing to do with an Alfa not working on Dunlops. Didn't he also qualify 5th fastest at Rockingham? Bear in mind the car is several years old and the team and Eoin operate on a fraction of the budget of the top teams.

I'm not having a go, but I don't like ill-informed jibes like that.

BTCC2
26th October 2007, 20:28
I find it hard to imagine that there can be a problem with the car if set up correctly. The BMWs and SEATs have been able to come over from the WTCC succesfully so I don't see why the Alfas can't.

BDunnell
26th October 2007, 20:43
I don't think there is any reason why the Alfa shouldn't be competitive in Britain. However, we are yet to see one in the hands of a team that's either good enough to make the most of the car, or with enough money to be competitive. It was a shame in 2007 that Eoin Murray, who is clearly quick on his day, was able to show little or nothing of his pace, and that Dave Pinkney, who was often superb in the Integra in 2006, was left languishing near the back.

Captain VXR
27th October 2007, 10:13
someone should give Dave and Eoin some proper backing and then the pace of the cars and their consistency should improve dramatically

SEATFreak
27th October 2007, 12:34
I don't think there is any reason why the Alfa shouldn't be competitive in Britain. However, we are yet to see one in the hands of a team that's either good enough to make the most of the car, or with enough money to be competitive. It was a shame in 2007 that Eoin Murray, who is clearly quick on his day, was able to show little or nothing of his pace, and that Dave Pinkney, who was often superb in the Integra in 2006, was left languishing near the back.

And that is a key. Not the key. But a key.

I don't think money alone makes for a strong competitive car. I think experience, knowhow and ideas also help to a degree.

This season alone I can think of three teams that aren't huge Independent teams (not like WSR) but I felt have used things like ideas and knowhow to get the most out of their old car. Team Eurotech I felt worked well with with the old TD Integra. As with Jackson Motorsport with an old 2005 works supplied WTCC RBM BMW 320si and Team Air Cool with an old works SEATSport UK Toledo.

LiamM
27th October 2007, 14:09
As with Jackson Motorsport with an old 2005 works supplied WTCC RBM BMW 320si

Hadn't Jacksons car been updated to 2006 (or 07?) spec?

AlexD
27th October 2007, 16:43
As with Jackson Motorsport with an old 2005 works supplied WTCC RBM BMW 320si

Bell's car is 2005, Jackon's is 2006

Marc W
27th October 2007, 18:32
The 2005 and 2006 BMW's are completely different models, not just different specs! The 2005 car is the previous 3 series whereas the 2006 (and 2007 cars) are the current 3 series.

tyreman2
27th October 2007, 20:53
And that is a key. Not the key. But a key.

I don't think money alone makes for a strong competitive car. I think experience, knowhow and ideas also help to a degree.

This season alone I can think of three teams that aren't huge Independent teams (not like WSR) but I felt have used things like ideas and knowhow to get the most out of their old car. Team Eurotech I felt worked well with with the old TD Integra. As with Jackson Motorsport with an old 2005 works supplied WTCC RBM BMW 320si and Team Air Cool with an old works SEATSport UK Toledo.

Although your reference to the age of Jackson's car is incorrect.your other observations are spot on Eurotech.Jackson's and Air Cool al used a mixture of enthusiastic ametuers and experienced personel to race at the front of the field on many occasions

peewhee
27th October 2007, 23:54
Although your reference to the age of Jackson's car is incorrect.your other observations are spot on Eurotech.Jackson's and Air Cool al used a mixture of enthusiastic ametuers and experienced personel to race at the front of the field on many occasions
Also the bit about the Team Aircool Toledo being an Ex BTCC car. That's not true. It never made it to the BTCC.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that car now Adam won't be driving it?

Alfa Fan
28th October 2007, 00:01
Adam's car was Tom Coronel's WTCC Toledo from the start of 2006 was it not?

peewhee
28th October 2007, 00:10
It was a Works WTCC car. Not sure if it ever drove in anger.
It is different to the earlier Toledo's. A later development model. Second to-last chassis built.
One reason why it was better than the Motorbase cars...

tyreman2
28th October 2007, 01:53
Also the bit about the Team Aircool Toledo being an Ex BTCC car. That's not true. It never made it to the BTCC.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that car now Adam won't be driving it?

Sorry I missed that bit you are quite right it was not a btcc car the car was leased to GR by SEAT sport(Spain) at the begining of 2006 for the WTCC untill they got their second Leon.It then went back to Barcelona

RaptorUK
28th October 2007, 09:25

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow on the uptake . . . what is Adam Jones driving next year ?

Marc W
28th October 2007, 10:00
It's not been announced or even decided yet.

peewhee
28th October 2007, 10:01
Not even Adam knows, Yet!

He knows where he wants to be!

SEATFreak
28th October 2007, 13:04
Where?

Is Motorbase continuing with the Toledo's? At the rate Gareth Howel used them up I would imagine so!

PDS
28th October 2007, 13:42
The Toledo's are at the moment, still for sale.

Because of the attention Motorbase have given them, they are in better condition than when they first got them. Anyone who buys them will have two great cars to race in...

If Martyn Bell wants to go front wheel drive, they would be an ideal buy!

Grasshopper
28th October 2007, 13:43
[quote="SEATFreak"]Where?

Is Motorbase continuing with the Toledo's? At the rate Gareth Howel used them up I would imagine so![/QUOTE

I do not understand what message you are trying to get across about gareth howell,what did he use up at a rate.
as to motorbase continuing they have said they will.

tisme
28th October 2007, 14:30
I thought they were going to run Leons next year. Surprised they haven't announced anything yet..

I have noticed the TD Civics are no longer for sale... Perhaps Motorbase have them?

Someone on another forum suggested they might.

PDS
28th October 2007, 14:40
I have noticed the TD Civics are no longer for sale... Perhaps Motorbase have them?

Perhaps they have?

But for sure, whatever cars Motorbase use, they will be more competitve than in 2007!

VkmSpouge
28th October 2007, 14:45
I thought they were going to run Leons next year. Surprised they haven't announced anything yet..

They probably waiting for the funding and everything to fall into place first. Motorbase running a pair of Leons would be a good proposition.

Grasshopper
28th October 2007, 14:58
They probably waiting for the funding and everything to fall into place first. Motorbase running a pair of Leons would be a good proposition.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
motorbase had a tough 1st year with the toledos, it would be good to see them with the civic,the leon is a good car but the team dynamics civic is better and will get stronger as it is developed .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEATFreak
28th October 2007, 15:10
I do not understand what message you are trying to get across about gareth howell,what did he use up at a rate.
as to motorbase continuing they have said they will.

Toledos. They is why they axed him from the team. Repair time was becoming costly and becoming it seems the dominant time spent.

That was the basis of my rather pathetic attempt at topical humour.

Motorbase need new Toledos to make up for all those that Gareth crashed.

motorbase had a tough 1st year with the toledos, it would be good to see them with the civic,the leon is a good car but the team dynamics civic is better and will get stronger as it is developed.

Does anyone agree with that? Because I am not so sure. The Civic was competitive but better than the Leon?

AlexD
28th October 2007, 15:28
But for sure, whatever cars Motorbase use, they will be more competitve than in 2007!

Shame that, Allison looked extremely fast at times, but bad luck always hit. It also seemed strange because Ferrier was very fast with that car at Silverstone.

Is it me or were both cars destroyed or damaged almost every race meeting? It nearly became a running gag towards the end!

VkmSpouge
28th October 2007, 15:34
The Civic is a good car and certainly has more development potential than the Leon currently does but at the moment I don't think it is quite as good as the Leon.

SEATFreak
28th October 2007, 16:06
The Civic is a good car and certainly has more development potential than the Leon currently does but at the moment I don't think it is quite as good as the Leon.

Absolutely. I think it will go the way of cars like the Toledo and Integra and be bought up by mainly Independents but still be competitive in a few years time. It is at the start of it's shelf life.

But I rekon it is because it is so new I for one am unsure about it. I don't yet know it's full potential because it hasn't had enough seasons for me to judge whether it is a stronger car than the Leon or not.

Marc W
28th October 2007, 16:12
Motorbase need new Toledos to make up for all those that Gareth crashed.

It was all the same Toledo though, they never actually bought any more, they just kept repairing the same car, although I Imagine their spares budget was through the roof!

peewhee
28th October 2007, 17:34
Does anyone agree with that? Because I am not so sure. The Civic was competitive but better than the Leon?

There is a lot more to come from the Civic! 2007 was it's first year in racing with very limited testing.

The Leon has been racing for two years with maximum testing. The only thing that has made the Leon quicker is using the diesel engine!

SEATFreak
28th October 2007, 19:14
There is a lot more to come from the Civic! 2007 was it's first year in racing with very limited testing.

Exactly! :up:

The full range possibilities as far as setups in concerned I am sure is far more than what one season of work gives a team.

The Leon has been racing for two years with maximum testing.

Even then I don't think really we have seen what the Leon can do.

I am not convinced the drag problem it has means their is little that can be done. I still live in hope that with or without the diesel engine the Leon can improve as a competitive car.

Ed
28th October 2007, 19:23
yea i agree, although the Leon has been around for two years, im sure there is plenty the team can do with the car i.e the laguna and alos more recently WSR and the MG, they always got something out of that car ever year

racing59
28th October 2007, 20:46
It's about time someone brought some Vee Dub's and other brands into the BTCC.

No, I won't mention Bio-Ethanol powered Chevy Lacetti's.

Someone once asked me if I was up to something when they heard that I'd bought a Lacetti shell from RML.....

Nope, that's going to be V8 powered beasty when it's finished (started more like!). How all proper touring cars should be.

However......

I agree that the TD Civic will get better with development, though that is true with every car on the planet. Develop it and it will improve.

The Alfa's have the potential to run at the front, but again, it requires a team with the £SD behind it to run one to it's full capability.

IMHO, I very much doubt that Ford will do anything works based. With the losses that Ford have posted globally, I don't think they'd get anything past the bean counters. A works "blessed" team would benefit from a spot of marketing by Ford, which would help their prospects of getting backing.

SEATFreak
29th October 2007, 09:01
It's about time someone brought some Vee Dub's and other brands into the BTCC.

VW?

Would they work as a factory team; either factory engineered or factory supplied. SEAT is part of the VW Group along with Skoda, Audi, Bently, Bugatti and Lamborghini.

If Chevrolet cannot enter a factory team in the BTCC because one of it's fellow GM subsidiary brands (Vauxhall) is already in the series, surely VW wouldn't be able to enter for the same reason. A fellow subsidiary brand is already competing as a factory team. Except in this case we obviously replace Vauxhall with SEAT and VW is the owner brand.
Though I am sure Chevy and VW I am sure would work as customer teams.

Or is the mechanics of the GM Group different from the VW Group?

Marc W
29th October 2007, 10:16
There aren't actually any rules to stop entering all of it's Brands if it wished to, but for seasons of economics and marketing most companies usually choose not to. VW Brands have been known to compete against each other before though, in the 90's VW, Seat, and Skoda all competed against each other in the WRC. PSA have also done the same with Peugeot and Citroen in the WRC.

SEATFreak
29th October 2007, 10:51
So Audi could if they wish, if they felt the economic and marketing side wasn't affected greatly, enter into the BTCC another team to add to the ones they run in the STCC and DTM?

Marc W
29th October 2007, 12:25
Yes, there is nothing (externally) stopping Audi entering the BTCC if they want to, but considering they already compete in several championships already (In Sportscars as well.), I'd imagine their motorsport budget won't stretch any further.

(I wish there wasn't a time limit on editing posts, I've just noticed a massive typo in my previous one!)

PDS
8th November 2007, 23:49
John George has confirmed his return in 2008 on the Fiona Leggate thread!

http://btccpages.motorsportforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=382811&postcount=49

Allyc85
9th November 2007, 16:15
:D glad to hear it, hes a top bloke and always entertaining.

SEATFreak
9th November 2007, 16:57
:D glad to hear it, hes a top bloke and always entertaining.

Felt he had a pretty average season really form-wise by and large. I felt he was kind of hovering around the same area.

But his 10th in round 24 and his 8th in round 25 I feel is a real highlight for me when I look at John's season. Two consecutive points paying finishes make me really happy for him. I didn't honestly think at any time he would get two consecutive points paying finishes this season.

Here's to another season in the BTCC and here's to hoping he will show next year he will only have improved.

tisme
9th November 2007, 17:46
Anyone seen this list?

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2063317&postcount=199

Seems pretty good if they all confirm!

Marc W
9th November 2007, 18:11
I like the Bottom one;

TBC TBC TBC

That's got to be a definate! ;)

DazzlaF1
9th November 2007, 23:26
So whats confirmed so far

CONFIRMED

VAUXHALL: Fabrizio Giovanardi, Matt Neal
SEAT: Jason Plato, ?
DYNAMICS: Gordon Shedden, ?
WSR: ?, ?
MOTORBASE: ?, ?
EUROTECH: The Jordans (Andrew & Mike)
ROBERTSHAW: Alan Taylor, Michael Doyle
TH: John George
GEOFF STEEL: Martyn Bell (if they've managed to aquire their new car)

LIKELY

KARTWORLD: Jason Hughes, ?, ?
GR ASIA: ?, ?

MAYBE

ARENA: ?, ? (Rumoured to be possible Ford works squad)
ODD BALL: Stacy Vickers
DREADNOUGHT: Paul Luti

Sorry if i've missed out anyone but if they all enter then thats a good 25 cars

peewhee
10th November 2007, 00:13
So whats confirmed so far

CONFIRMED

VAUXHALL: Fabrizio Giovanardi, Matt Neal
DYNAMICS: Gordon Shedden, ?
WSR: ?, ?
MOTORBASE: ?, ?
EUROTECH: The Jordans (Andrew & Mike)
ROBERTSHAW: Alan Taylor, Michael Doyle
TH: John George
GEOFF STEEL: Martyn Bell (if they've managed to aquire their new car)

LIKELY

KARTWORLD: Jason Hughes, ?, ?
GR ASIA: ?, ?

MAYBE

ODD BALL: Stacy Vickers

Sorry if i've missed out anyone but if they all enter then thats a good 25 cars
Rick Kerry in his 1 series has confirmed. Nick Leason has been seen testing the AFM car and has stated he wants to run a deisel car next year!
Also confirmed is Erkut at Arkas Racing who would like to run two cars in 2008.
And I think Turkington has been telling people that he is returning next season with WSR.
Chris Stockton has been testing his BTC Lexus expecting to return in 2008, again with two cars.
David Pinkney has said he will back with his A-Tech outfit, but is not sure what cars they will be running.

Plus there are suppossed to be some more cars and drivers waiting to decide what they are doing. Whatever, the grid should be bigger next year.

WSRfan82
10th November 2007, 03:17

ok that should be interesting

WSRfan82
10th November 2007, 03:18
im just thinking does ford have a works team in any other s2000 touring car championships

SEATFreak
10th November 2007, 08:22

Darren Turner hasn't been unconfirmed. Till then he is very much with SEAT.

SEAT would be in my view being extremely hasty to make such a decision so early.

PDS
10th November 2007, 09:19

The rumour does not say it will be a works team!

Darren has not been Confirmed either!

I think this speculation has arisen because Plato has been confirmed, but yet no news on Darren's drive!

tisme
10th November 2007, 09:23
Talking of no news.. I have seen no mention anywhere of Motorbase getting their Leons yet!

MBailey06
10th November 2007, 09:47
I have seen in my local newspaper that Formula Palmer Audi champion Tim Bridgeman is eyeing a drive in the BTCC next year, potentially with Motorbase but don't quote me on it.

Grasshopper
10th November 2007, 11:00
I thought there had been a post linking motorbase to the team dynamics civics,perhaps thats why there has not been any news on leons

CFC/VXR
10th November 2007, 12:57
I thought there had been a post linking motorbase to the team dynamics civics,perhaps thats why there has not been any news on leons

from what i hear A-tech are going orange! and seat are looking for another 2nd driver.

VkmSpouge
10th November 2007, 13:14
I'm kind of hoping that A-tech go orange and then re-spray it all pink :D

SEATFreak
10th November 2007, 17:17

I think this speculation has arisen because Plato has been confirmed, but yet no news on Darren's drive!

So what is it to be in this instance?

in or out?

If you assume for nor he is in you could well be right. Or if you assume he is in and he is out then it may well be a great surprise to us all. If you assume for now he is out and he is out you again will be right. If however you assume for now he is out when he is in then I rekon you could end up with enough egg on your face to make an omlette that could feed the 5,000.

peewhee
10th November 2007, 21:13
in or out?
If you assume for nor he is in you could well be right. Or if you assume he is in and he is out then it may well be a great surprise to us all. If you assume for now he is out and he is out you again will be right. .
In, out, in, out, shake it all about. Knees bend, arms bend, tra la la!

If however you assume for now he is out when he is in then I rekon you could end up with enough egg on your face to make an omlette that could feed the 5,000.
As you could if assume he is in when he is out!

Are you prepared to say that Darren Turner is definitely staying at SEAT???
NO, you can't! So until we know for certain he must be a doubtful!

PDS
10th November 2007, 21:16

in or out?

What do you think?

reidy_fan
10th November 2007, 21:35

would say that Luti is about 80% have the car, budget and the team infrastructure to do it. Sont know if he has sold his other MG ZT 5 litre yet but cant see him pottering about the Scottish sports & saloons in a BTCC car

Decent bloke Paul and his sister/chief mechanic is a babe (sorry Claire but had to be said)

m0rk
11th November 2007, 08:25
What do you think?

I think in but with a lot of arse kicking to get some 'racing' balls in - stop qual'ing well, then letting them by. you can't catch em 4hrs later.

I think that nothing is being announced "on a larger scale" because of the potential headline eclipsing it would bring if they win well at Macau.

Then there's a queue to join for new cars......

KILOHMUNNS
11th November 2007, 10:59

If that was the case would we then see a return of Chilton? He has been driving for Arena in sportcars so I would then hope if Arena do join BTCC in Fords then he would be the natural choice.

SEATFreak
11th November 2007, 12:23
As you could if assume he is in when he is out!

I am not assuming for certain anything!! I am just simply saying it is dangerous to assume for certain both.

Always thinking the worst possible opinion about me.

Are you prepared to say that Darren Turner is definitely staying at SEAT???
NO, you can't! So until we know for certain he must be a doubtful!

Are you prepared to say that Darren Turner is deffinitely out at SEAT???
NO, you can't! :p :

What do you think?

Neither in or out.

VXR-4-Eva
11th November 2007, 12:44
We'll see how much of this comes to pass. I wonder if there will be any BTC-spec cars in the field next year? I can imagine the Honda Integras still being a fairly decent prospect for next year.
team Eurotech has bought a second one so they can run Mike and Andrew Jordan in BTCC Next year

peewhee
11th November 2007, 15:05
Are you prepared to say that Darren Turner is deffinitely out at SEAT???
NO, you can't! :p :

Why do you not read the post's you are responing to!

So until we know for certain he must be a doubtful!
Where did I say he is out!?! :confused:

MBailey06
11th November 2007, 15:34
Heres a good idea, lets wait until we know what happens instead of constant speculation? Its getting rather annoying with everyone saying he is out, he is in, lets wait until SEAT say so, because until then no one can be 100% certain.

SEATFreak
11th November 2007, 15:48
Why do you not read the post's you are responing to!

How do you know I am not?

I know all to well the replies and the tone they carry and frankly they don't surprise me in the least. Just like they have always been.

Yes I did say did I not in post #211:

But by the same token everyone is saying they rekon he is out and as PDS said (#212):

The simple fact is their being as presumtime as I am. Only they rekon they are right and I am wrong.

mattie007
11th November 2007, 15:56
Would SEAT be better off running a new shape Toledo to counter the drag problem?

Just to add, my friend who does a mechanics course at Silverstone, saw 2 Mazda touring cars in what looked like S2000 spec. He didn't know what model they where though.

Ed
11th November 2007, 18:34
I dont think they would be, as it is the size of a herse!!! the leon is a good car, and i think they've a far bit to unlock from it stil plus with the TDI engine they will do alot better next year. The problem is that the Vectra is a vastly underveloped car, and could you imagine if they threw a disel engine in that!

Captain VXR
11th November 2007, 19:36
Would SEAT be better off running a new shape Toledo to counter the drag problem?

Just to add, my friend who does a mechanics course at Silverstone, saw 2 Mazda touring cars in what looked like S2000 spec. He didn't know what model they where though.

show him pics of 3s and 6s to see if he can recognise :)
The third manufacturer chilton is on about could be honda with td. Surprised nobody I can remember of has suggested that

Allyc85
11th November 2007, 19:53
If they are going to be in the BTCC please let it be the 6, the 3 is soo ugly!

VXRDartford
11th November 2007, 23:03
The toledo is more a people carrier shape. I think if it is going to change it will be a diesel engine in the leon then the balero (toledo replacement) for 2009.

tdb
12th November 2007, 00:37

he can recognise S2000 spec but not the model???

he probably saw the 2 mazda rx8s that did the britcar 24hr and can been seen by anyone as they cross the bridge to the infield.

tisme
12th November 2007, 16:52
Talking about Britcar.. I was at the nightrace meeting over the weekend. I overheard a conversation about the team nobody seems to like here, Clyde Valley Racing!

Apparently, as CVR have had so much trouble getting Chevrolets onto the grid, they have changed their minds and are hoping to get two Vauxhall Vectra's out instead! Keeping with the GM brand.

He did say that they had considered the civics, but they have been sold!

That would be interesting..

The guy even tried to sell me his Chevrolet jacket!

Grasshopper
12th November 2007, 17:25
this is a team that keeps popping up,it would be nice to have 2 more vectras next year , would that mean dan eaves returns to the btcc, so many questions it is the silly season.

VkmSpouge
12th November 2007, 17:38
He did say that they had considered the civics, but they have been sold!

While I file anything I hear about Team Clyde Valley Racing under Believe-it-When-I-See-it, this bit does appear to be interesting. Who might have purchased the Civics?

peewhee
12th November 2007, 18:17
this is a team that keeps popping up,it would be nice to have 2 more vectras next year , would that mean dan eaves returns to the btcc, so many questions it is the silly season.
Perhaps that's why they were looking at the civics, because they have Dan Eaves as a driver..

mattie007
12th November 2007, 21:30
he can recognise S2000 spec but not the model???

he probably saw the 2 mazda rx8s that did the britcar 24hr and can been seen by anyone as they cross the bridge to the infield.

Spoke to him today and he didn't actually mean S2000, just the look of a touring car. He said it was a saloon, so probably the 6. Do these race in a current touring car series? Could of been testing I guess?

peewhee
17th November 2007, 19:50
Chilton Confirmed..
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=802

Les
17th November 2007, 21:12
good luck to him

VkmSpouge
17th November 2007, 23:32
I hope Chilton does well next year.

Jona
17th November 2007, 23:59
Now Chilton has gone to Halfords would this be an end to the rumour that Arena are building Fords for next year because of his Toms strong Arena connections?

Captain VXR
18th November 2007, 11:34
I hope Chilton does well as I've always thought of him as a good driver

tisme
21st November 2007, 00:58
Anyone else see this?
http://www.btcc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62248&postcount=29

SEATFreak
21st November 2007, 08:25
Touringcartimes.com reports a team will run a pair of BMW 320si's ran in the 2007 WTCC season by Schnitzer.

I have been frightened witless by people like Steelrat into struggling to put things so as to not attract yet more vitriolic criticism from someone for making an ill-informed comment, so I will avoid the thorny issue of whether it meas they have bought the cars or are going to recieve help by Schnitzer and leave it at that. :)

Ed
21st November 2007, 08:46
thats very intersting news. any one know which team it is? what abouty Bell, he bought an ex D Muler car and Scentzer have been gibving techincal support to him in the pass (albeit on a limited basis)

m0rk
21st November 2007, 08:55
Touringcartimes.com reports a team will run a pair of BMW 320si's ran in the 2007 WTCC season by Schnitzer.

I have been frightened witless by people like Steelrat into struggling to put things so as to not attract yet more vitriolic criticism from someone for making an ill-informed comment, so I will avoid the thorny issue of whether it meas they have bought the cars or are going to recieve help by Schnitzer and leave it at that. :)

I'd heard that was Motorbase Performance, since they were unhappy with the spares availability they'd experienced with the Tolly's