PDA

View Full Version : Stremme to DEI?

RaikkonenRules
31st July 2007, 09:58
David Stremme is one of the candidates for the #8 seat at DEI. In the midst of all the buzz about who will take the #8 ride at Dale Earnhardt, Inc., since the merger with Ginn Racing, David Stremme has emerged as one of the frontrunners.

dwboogityfan
31st July 2007, 10:31
And Stremme has done what to warrant staying in Cup let alone going to a better team?
The #40 team has gone backwards ever since Sterling left it. Stremme is too inconsistent. The #8 would go backwards as well if he got the drive.

Mark in Oshawa
31st July 2007, 15:31
Stremme? Oh boy....that DEI juggernaut could do better than that for the 8 SURELY. If they are smart, they put a guy in there who is caught out in the numbers game....maybe Kyle Busch. With Mark Martin around now that the merger is a done deal, maybe he can put the kid on the right path....

Jonesi
31st July 2007, 19:59
I don't see it. He's 30 and hasn't out performed a 9 year younger teammate with the same amount of races in Cup.

Jonesi
8th August 2007, 00:30
Per NascarNow today: With Kyle Busch signing with Gibbs, short list for #8 seat most likely Yeley, Stremme, Regan Smith, or Biffle (who's contracted through '08)

Best guess, if they can get a top 10 $ sponsor they probably need to buy out Biffle's deal. If not I think they'll go with Smith.

CCFanatic
8th August 2007, 00:38
I do not get the hype with Regan Smith. With some struggleing teams, he has in 102 Busch starts, 3 top 5's and 6 top 10's. And average finish of 25.2. That is not big numbers. That does not warrant a Cup seat. 5 Cup starts with a 0 top 10's and a average finish of 27.3. And 13 Truck starts with 2 top 10's, and an average finish of 25.6. That is not the kind of preformance I want from a guy I would spend much money and the hopes of my team on.

muggle not
8th August 2007, 02:21
Regan has talent and it is recognized by many in Nascar. He was doing very well in Busch before Ginn had to pull the plug. His potential has not been realized yet but if given a good car for a reasonable length of time he will do well. If I was DEI I would take Regan over Stremme or Yeley.

blakebeatty
8th August 2007, 04:40
I would agree that Smith is an easy choice over Yeley or Stremme. The fact that Mark Martin is going to bat for Regan must be some indicator of his talent

Sparky1329
8th August 2007, 04:59
Regan has talent and it is recognized by many in Nascar. He was doing very well in Busch before Ginn had to pull the plug. His potential has not been realized yet but if given a good car for a reasonable length of time he will do well. If I was DEI I would take Regan over Stremme or Yeley.

If Biff was available I'd take him. If not Regan makes the most sense.

blakebeatty
8th August 2007, 05:09
Did Biff ever re-up with Roush, I can't remember hearing one way or the other?

Sparky1329
8th August 2007, 05:43

Not yet as far as I know. The last I heard was he suspended negotiations pending a performance improvement. Biff was not a happy camper with the way things were going.

Jonesi
8th August 2007, 06:55

He's signed through '08 at which time Roush-Fenway needs to be down to four teams. What's been reported so far:
17 Kenseth signed '10, sponsors at least '09
99 Edwards signed '08, sponsors at least '08
26 McMurray signed '09 sponsors at least '08
6 Ragan signed '07+ option years, sponsor at least '08
16 Biffle signed '08, sponsor at least '08 but asked to be released from deal.
Roush has said he would rather not shut down a team, but sell off a team with driver & sponsor attached, but hasn't decided which one. I suspect Biffle figures he's most likely the odd man out.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2007, 19:26
If DEI is smart, they would go for Biffle. David Stremme is taking a step down or sideways. They have two good drivers in Martin and Truex but Martin isn't full time. You need 2 top flight guys in a 4 car team. Stremme isn't it, Ragan is potentially good but no one knows. If DEI landed Biffle, he would be another veteran presence to steady the ship after Martin starts to pull back to being truly part time. With Truex, you would have two solid drivers in the prime of their careers capable of winning races and being in the Chase. Right now, you just have Truex....and since this is his breakout year, up til this year he wasn't even a sure thing for anything. This team needs people with some "gravitas" besides Martin and Biffle would be the guy. Stremme is a Busch driver in a Cup Ride....

muggle not
8th August 2007, 22:40
Martin and Almirola will split time next year in the #8 car.
Regan will take over the #01 car.
Truex and Menard will stay put in current cars.

Biffle will stay with Roush with UPS as a sponsor.

No, I don't have a link for this. If you don't believe me, ask Sparky and she will confirm my info.

Oh yeah, d.J. will retire and Mikey will go to a 2 car operation as Toyota puts big money with JGR.

Jonesi
8th August 2007, 23:26
Why switch numbers? Does Army stay with 01 or move to 8? Do they have a new sponsor yet?

Expected.

I can see this happening.

Oh yeah, d.J. will retire and Mikey will go to a 2 car operation as Toyota puts big money with JGR.
I think Mikey should concentrate on running MWR and put DJ in the Napa car, at least for the first five races. If they are running well enough to get into the "Top 35" I think DJ will be happy enough to run the rest of the year, otherwise Mikey can get back in or find another driver. He never planed on running 3 teams, he had 2 funded teams when he signed DJ and UPS wanted to come along, which pushed him into 3 teams cars stressed the new team too much.

muggle not
9th August 2007, 01:07
Regan has experience with the #01 car crew and will be racing the car at W.G.
Martin will be part time and it is easier for him to switch to the #8 car.

How about this as a rumor. JGR's move to Toyota gives Tony the "out" to switch teams (contract). How about Tony joining HMS in the #25 car.

RaceFanStan
9th August 2007, 01:55
David Stremme needs to go back to the Busch Series as he isn't making it in Cup racing ...
DEI would be wasting their time & resources if they put their hopes on David Stremme IMO !

I have read that Red Bull Racing is on the ropes ...
DEI should look at getting Brian Vickers because he may be ready to jump off the Toyota band wagon ..... ;)

Jonesi
9th August 2007, 02:13
David Stremme needs to go back to the Busch Series as he isn't making it in Cup racing ...
DEI would be wasting their time & resources if they put their hopes on David Stremme IMO !

I have read that Red Bull Racing is on the ropes ...
DEI should look at getting Brian Vickers because he may be ready to jump off the Toyota band wagon ..... ;)
I think Mayfield has set his sights on that seat.;-) Actually jumping ship from Toyota now maybe as bad a move as Bobby Rahal quiting Honda after their first year in CART.

Sparky1329
9th August 2007, 03:44

No, I don't have a link for this. If you don't believe me, ask Sparky and she will confirm my info.

:D :up: It's sure looking that way with one small exception. MW said a few weeks ago that sponsors were not yet locked up for next season and David has not yet been resigned for '08. I have to wonder how that will pan out too.

DJ has done a great job in the broadcast booth. I hope he gets a contract.

Sparky1329
9th August 2007, 03:46
How about this as a rumor. JGR's move to Toyota gives Tony the "out" to switch teams (contract). How about Tony joining HMS in the #25 car.

Whoa! :eek:

MD24
9th August 2007, 03:54

Could you imagine, Gordon, Jr. and Tony on the same team :eek:

Jonesi
9th August 2007, 05:40
NascarNow reported that DEI said Stremme not being considered, and he has an airtight contract for next year with Chip.

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2007, 17:44
Could you imagine, Gordon, Jr. and Tony on the same team :eek:

That is with Jimmie Johnson still there. That would be the ultimate super team...