PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Astronauts

veeten
27th July 2007, 12:18
just when you think it couldn't get any worse... :s

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19979164/

jim mcglinchey
27th July 2007, 15:20
Well, I often need a little snifter before jetting off on vacation so I wouldnt got to hard on someone who's about to be strapped into a 37 million horsepower rocket.

Eki
27th July 2007, 16:37
What'll we do with a drunken astronaut,
Earl-aye in the morning?

Way hay and up she rises
Patent blocks o' diff'rent sizes,
Way hay and up she rises
Earl-aye in the morning

oily oaf
27th July 2007, 18:16
"Houston we have a drink problem"
"Oi are you staring at my protein pills?"
"Bleeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrgh. Jesus!"
(floats off into Saturn's gravitational pull with dog on a piece of string)

Mark in Oshawa
27th July 2007, 22:17
Good lord....is the world going off it's rocker? Next thing ya know, we will find out men of the cloth are pedophiles....oh wait a minute....never mind.

RaceFanStan
28th July 2007, 01:54
There have been a few times I was so drunk I thought I was flying .....
but the ground jumped up & hit me making me realize I was only falling down. :s

:laugh:

Galveston dunes
28th July 2007, 06:44
My question is just exactly how was the alcohol loaded and who oversaw the loading. Because if loading a shuttle with alcohol is a job. I believe I just found my next career. You wouldn't have to worry about drunk astronauts any more.

RaceFanStan
28th July 2007, 16:51
There you go dunes, you are truly a problem solver ! http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

Hondo
29th July 2007, 07:56
I don't know about the current group of astronauts, but I can tell you most of the Gemini-Apollo guys could party.

millencolin
29th July 2007, 08:29
why not get boozed up before a flight? its not like there are any cops in space

Drew
29th July 2007, 14:55
Are there laws in space, is it like international waters up there?

tinchote
30th July 2007, 09:54
I think they are making too much of all this. I'm not saying that going to work drunk is ok (for anybody), but so far I didn't read that any of these guys being drunk have caused too much trouble to any mission.

Now they want to put controls and everything. But, how many professions have real time alcohol in blood checking before work? Airline pilots? Bus drivers? Train drivers? Ship captains? And the list can go on forever. Supposedly, you have to get to a point where the professionalism of the individual should take care of that. You cannot expect to control everybody like they are teenagers.

Eki
30th July 2007, 10:00
I think they are making too much of all this. I'm not saying that going to work drunk is ok (for anybody), but so far I didn't read that any of these guys being drunk have caused too much trouble to any mission.

Now they want to put controls and everything. But, how many professions have real time alcohol in blood checking before work? Airline pilots? Bus drivers? Train drivers? Ship captains? And the list can go on forever. Supposedly, you have to get to a point where the professionalism of the individual should take care of that. You cannot expect to control everybody like they are teenagers.
In a Swedish nuclear power plant, they have found that workers come to work drunk. I've read that they are planning to put alco-locks to the plant that won't open for a drunk person.

millencolin
31st July 2007, 02:51
i reacon if you want to prove yourself as a good employee... rock up drunk and still see if you can do your job. i did that at my old job. it was the morning shift after a very very big night, and i was working as a film projectionist at the time. i was lacing up my third movie for the day when i drunkenly fell and ended up being wrapped in film, and had to get my mate to come up and 'rescue me' :p :

i was never a good projectionist (due to my hatred of my boss and always trying to make life more difficult for him) but at my new job, i rocked up drunk and was the best shift i hav ever worked there!

these astronauts didnt crash their spaceships while under the influence, so what the big deal?

janneppi
31st July 2007, 07:48
Earl-aye in the morning?

Way hay and up she rises
Patent blocks o' diff'rent sizes,
Way hay and up she rises
Earl-aye in the morning

Normipäivä from Kummeli comes to mind... :p :

IMSAFAN1
31st July 2007, 19:40
National Alcoholics Space Administration....hey joe I need to load up on those space diapers it's not like we can just stop on the side of the road and pee in the bushes. Who gets to toss out the drunks if they get too rowdy up there? watch out for that first step it's a doozy. :beer:

MrJan
31st July 2007, 21:19
There's not a whole lot of stuff to crash into up there, besides surely most of the stuff is done by computers.

Anyways given the high chance of death I'd want to be wasted from start to finish.