PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Passing in F1!?

Chaparral66
23rd July 2007, 17:50
Where did that come from? May be there should be more rain in F1. It is the great equalizer. I saw more passing at the Nurburgring than in the last 2 years combined! That was enjoyable.

Donney
23rd July 2007, 18:00
Hungary last year wasn't bad either. But yes it is incredibly nice for a change.

donKey jote
23rd July 2007, 19:05
Rain is a great equalizer, and Alonso is more equal than others :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

tinchote
23rd July 2007, 19:09
I don't think that rain is an equalizer. Rain simply changes things: some drivers may have a setup that sits better with the rain (whether by change or on purpose).

coldawg
23rd July 2007, 19:42
Rain is a great equalizer, and Alonso is more equal than others :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that. He is clearly reasserting himself as the man to beat for the championship.

Chaparral66
23rd July 2007, 22:20
I don't think that rain is an equalizer. Rain simply changes things: some drivers may have a setup that sits better with the rain (whether by change or on purpose).

That's part of the challenge. But what's clear is that the field does get closer together, and we saw a few names running up front that no one has ever heard of. That was refreshing.

Crypt
23rd July 2007, 23:03
That's part of the challenge. But what's clear is that the field does get closer together, and we saw a few names running up front that no one has ever heard of. That was refreshing.

New F1 trivia, by Bob Varsha;

What driver in his debut Gand Prix, both started from the back and the front of the grid?

Winkie!

Donney
24th July 2007, 10:47
I know, I know... was he driving an orange coloured car? :D

Valve Bounce
24th July 2007, 10:55
Dunno!! gimme a hint!! :(

Kevincal
24th July 2007, 16:44
They should install spinklers on all F1 tracks that wet the track at certain points of the race. The teams would be warned in advanced so they could change setups...I think this is what F1 needs!

stevie_gerrard
25th July 2007, 00:30
rain certainly stirs things up a bit :p : :D

call_me_andrew
25th July 2007, 08:49
Perhaps all tracks should come with a sprinkler system.

ShiftingGears
25th July 2007, 10:50
They should install spinklers on all F1 tracks that wet the track at certain points of the race. The teams would be warned in advanced so they could change setups...I think this is what F1 needs!

More gimmicks to patch up the fact that modern f1 cars are poor racing cars? I don't think so.

wedge
25th July 2007, 13:02
Indy was easily the best dry race this year, with Bahrain and Canada not far behind.

Come to think of it, we've had good races this year. Only Barcelona (unsurprisingly) was dissappointing.

555-04Q2
25th July 2007, 15:31
New F1 trivia, by Bob Varsha;

What driver in his debut Gand Prix, both started from the back and the front of the grid?

Winkie!

Thats an easy one: Eddie Irvine's pet Chimpanzee :p :

nightingalecars
26th July 2007, 17:50
Where did that come from? May be there should be more rain in F1. It is the great equalizer. I saw more passing at the Nurburgring than in the last 2 years combined! That was enjoyable.

I Know what you mean. Normally I find the European grand prix pretty boring, I was all set for the same when all hell broke loose. Seeing a Spyker leading the field and overtaking a ferrari was classic, Hopefully it will of fetched them some much needed money from tv coverage and advertising :)

luvracin
26th July 2007, 18:47
the fact that modern f1 cars are poor racing cars?

RACING CAR : noun : 1) a fast car that competes in races
2) a car specially designed and built for racing

RACE : noun : a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

I propose that modern F1 cars are in fact very good at fulfilling their brief.

Your "fact" is quite shakey. :p :

call_me_andrew
26th July 2007, 21:48
RACING CAR : noun : 1) a fast car that competes in races
2) a car specially designed and built for racing

RACE : noun : a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

I propose that modern F1 cars are in fact very good at fulfilling their brief.

Your "fact" is quite shakey. :p :

I think you have confused RACE CAR with RACING CAR.

ottostreet
29th July 2007, 18:24
More gimmicks to patch up the fact that modern f1 cars are poor racing cars? I don't think so.

i agree. i dont really see any real problem with the quality of racing. i was watching IRL at ohio on sky last sunday though and was amazed at how close there able to follow each other. however, the race was no more entertaining for it. Modern F1 cars may not be able to follow each other very closely, but generally, if a car wants to get past, they will. i believe the only changes required are to reduce the dependancy on aerodynamic grip, get rid of tc, and go back to click tyres. two of which are guaranteed
for next year. formula 1 may be manufactured entertainment, but i would not be happy if it was made that manufactured.

e2mtt
29th July 2007, 22:31
That was fantastic to see all the passing. Sprinklers wouldn't be a bad idea.

On a serious note, pure physics dictates that the faster a race car laps, the smaller the margins for passing. That is why the under-class cars have a lot more overtaking.