PDA

View Full Version : Rubins staying at Honda

Flat.tyres
19th July 2007, 15:19
This surprised me.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60904

Honda are making a lot of noise at the moment and I expected them to be a bit more radical with the 2nd driver to push JB a bit. they have the rest of this year for Bigois to make an impact and I thought next year would be a fresh surge.

apparently, they are happy with continuity for now so 2009 will be their big year.

ArrowsFA1
19th July 2007, 15:21
It disappointed me ;)

gm99
19th July 2007, 15:25
I'm surprised, too - I thought his chances of extending his contract had waned following his mate de Ferran's recent departure.

Erki
19th July 2007, 15:28
Looks like crash.net is bad at maths:

Next year will mark his 18th season in the FIA Formula 1 World Championship, having made his debut with Jordan back in 1993.
More like 16th season.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~151467.htm

Flat.tyres
19th July 2007, 15:48
Looks like crash.net is bad at maths:

More like 16th season.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~151467.htm (http://www.crash.net/news_view%7Ecid%7E1%7Eid%7E151467.htm)

Ive learnt that figures dont prove anything. If its written on a F1 site, then it must be real.

1993 - 2008 = 18 you fool. any armchair expert will argue that :laugh:

F1MAN2007
19th July 2007, 16:25
No offence to the respective supporters or fans, but for me I don't see what the Guys like RB, DC and RS still doing in F1? They should retire and leave young talent to emerge as well?

Maybe they should stay in some managerial positions in F1 to help teams with their experience but not as drivers.

gm99
19th July 2007, 16:47
F1Man, much as I agree with you, I think the ones really to blame are the teams - after all, it's not that someone put a gun to their head and forced them to extend Rubens' contract. Can't really blame the drivers for signing extensions faster than they can drive - I wouldn't exactly tell my boss he'd better give his cash to a new guy rather than to me ;)

With none of the top drivers (Alonso, Kimi, Massa & Lewis) available until the 2009 season at the earliest, the teams are probably treating 2008 as a transition year driver-wise and will be hoping to land one of the big boys in 2009.

VkmSpouge
19th July 2007, 17:13
I'm not surprised that Honda have kept an unchanged driver line-up. Rubens Barrichello has usually just had the edge on Jenson Button this year and definitely deserves to be kept around for at least one more year.

F1MAN2007
19th July 2007, 18:45
F1Man, much as I agree with you, I think the ones really to blame are the teams - after all, it's not that someone put a gun to their head and forced them to extend Rubens' contract. Can't really blame the drivers for signing extensions faster than they can drive - I wouldn't exactly tell my boss he'd better give his cash to a new guy rather than to me ;)

With none of the top drivers (Alonso, Kimi, Massa & Lewis) available until the 2009 season at the earliest, the teams are probably treating 2008 as a transition year driver-wise and will be hoping to land one of the big boys in 2009.

GM99, I think you are right in what you are saying. The teams are the ones to blame. That is true.

jens
19th July 2007, 19:06
The news are not surprising to me as there have already been several rumours that Rubens will continue. Maybe it's surprising that Rubens still has motivation to continue driving for such an uncompetitive team (especially as he has driven competitive cars for many years - why bother then?), but Honda's decision is by no means surprising, because probably they thought they don't have anyone else to take. Have they?

Sato? Honda still has that 2005 in memory and they maybe do not dare to risk again...
Davidson? Has failed to beat Sato, so what are we talking about?
Klien? Failed to match Coulthard and although he was solid, didn't make a big impression during his 3-year F1-career, which should be long enough to show at least something.
Andretti? Too young an inexperienced. And also a risk as the level of his skills is still unclear - also driven on ovals too much.

May they have considered someone else, who has not been engaged with Honda? Who hasn't got a contract for 2008 yet and could be hired without buying?
Ralf?
Bourdais?
Heidfeld? Btw, Honda - like Toyota - offered him a contract! Most probably Nick and his manager refused.

IMO Barrichello has been an unsung hero of this season. He has often been quite impressive, but due to the car hasn't got enough notice, praise and attention for his performances, which have in majority been better than Button's.

jso1985
20th July 2007, 01:08
well he's been doing better than Button this season.

But still quite surprised me, if I'm correct after the 2008 season(if he runs all races) he will be the F1 driver with most starts ever

ClarkFan
20th July 2007, 04:03
*Sigh*

I find the decision disappointing. Honda's season has been a dismal failure and they want to do more of the same? They are locked into Button already, but having an open seat would have been a good opportunity to bring in a young, promising driver to help spearhead a change in fortunes. Bourdais, Adam Carroll, anyone - the team needs some kind of dramatic change to break out of a funk that has really lasted since 2004.

Why does Nick Fry still have a job? :\

ClarkFan

Hawkmoon
20th July 2007, 04:33
I've always believed that you only change drivers because you are forced to by your driver signing elsewhere or retiring, or you have a clearly better option.

Honda are in neither situation. Name one driver available that is without doubt a better option than Barrichello. There are a whole host of young guys with no proven track record who may, just possibly, if everything goes right and the stars are aligned be better than a 9 time GP winner. Maybe Honda don't want to keep scraping RA108s off walls next year.

Barrichello has been more than a match for Button this year. He's earnt his ride for '08.

Valve Bounce
20th July 2007, 05:25
Well, DC hs already re-signed for Red Bull, so that only leaves Ralfie.

F1MAN2007
20th July 2007, 06:44
The news are not surprising to me as there have already been several rumours that Rubens will continue. Maybe it's surprising that Rubens still has motivation to continue driving for such an uncompetitive team (especially as he has driven competitive cars for many years - why bother then?), but Honda's decision is by no means surprising, because probably they thought they don't have anyone else to take. Have they?

Sato? Honda still has that 2005 in memory and they maybe do not dare to risk again...
Davidson? Has failed to beat Sato, so what are we talking about?
Klien? Failed to match Coulthard and although he was solid, didn't make a big impression during his 3-year F1-career, which should be long enough to show at least something.
Andretti? Too young an inexperienced. And also a risk as the level of his skills is still unclear - also driven on ovals too much.

May they have considered someone else, who has not been engaged with Honda? Who hasn't got a contract for 2008 yet and could be hired without buying?
Ralf?
Bourdais?
Heidfeld? Btw, Honda - like Toyota - offered him a contract! Most probably Nick and his manager refused.

IMO Barrichello has been an unsung hero of this season. He has often been quite impressive, but due to the car hasn't got enough notice, praise and attention for his performances, which have in majority been better than Button's.

So why not sign any of the 3rd pilot (or test driver) in different top team and give him official seat? Like Pedro de la Rosa as it seems he will never get an official seat with Mclaren? And I think he can bring some fresh idea to the team as he has been working with the top team?

gloomyDAY
20th July 2007, 07:04
This surprised me.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60904

Honda are making a lot of noise at the moment and I expected them to be a bit more radical with the 2nd driver to push JB a bit. they have the rest of this year for Bigois to make an impact and I thought next year would be a fresh surge.

apparently, they are happy with continuity for now so 2009 will be their big year.
Boo! Well, to be honest, I'm not very disappointed. Who else is going to fill in the gap? If there were any good options out there I'm sure Honda would have taken a better look.

Well, DC hs already re-signed for Red Bull, so that only leaves Ralfie.I hope Ralf gets the door.

Valve Bounce
20th July 2007, 08:08
I hope Ralf gets the door.

He's been getting the revolving door lately, hasn't he? :p :

Flat.tyres
20th July 2007, 11:11
I want to know what Arrows thinks about this and whether he will have to change his sig to Rubins - Master after he surpasses the record :D

ArrowsFA1
20th July 2007, 11:21
No, no. and no again :s mokin:

Damn shame Riccardo's going to lose his record, but it was always likely to happen at some time :dozey:

truefan72
20th July 2007, 11:26
just puzzling, why didn't they wait until later to make a decision.

I am continuesly amazed at how F1 teams decide the next year's driver line up, half way through the current season. With as much brains as there is out there, these decisions are simply boneheaded

At least wait until the last two races of the season to make a decision. What is the worst thing that could have happened? Rubens getting snapped up by another team?

Flat.tyres
20th July 2007, 12:24
No, no. and no again :s mokin:

Damn shame Riccardo's going to lose his record, but it was always likely to happen at some time :dozey:

not really, most people dont live that long :D

true fan, it just settles everything down, everyone can plan for the future without any if's and buts.

Valve Bounce
20th July 2007, 14:56
just puzzling, why didn't they wait until later to make a decision.

I am continuesly amazed at how F1 teams decide the next year's driver line up, half way through the current season. With as much brains as there is out there, these decisions are simply boneheaded

At least wait until the last two races of the season to make a decision. What is the worst thing that could have happened? Rubens getting snapped up by another team?

Let's look at it this way - the way Honda are going, it would have been possible that one or both drivers might have looked for a better team to drive for next year. Just see where they are on the standings at the moment. If they kept going the way they are, only Ralfie would have considered driving for them. :p :

akv89
20th July 2007, 18:35
Glad to hear it. I've always had a soft spot for Rubens.

Valve Bounce
21st July 2007, 00:03
Glad to hear it. I've always had a soft spot for Rubens.

It's called heartburn. Try Alka Seltza and you'll soon forget the guy. :p :

Just kidding. :D

Garry Walker
22nd July 2007, 16:43
Awesome. Let him keep destroying button for another year!

jens
22nd July 2007, 18:16
Awesome. Let him keep destroying button for another year!

What about the European Grand Prix? Barrichello stayed on the track whereas Button didn't. :p :

jens
5th August 2007, 16:49
Hooray, Sutil in his Spyker managed to beat a Honda! :D :bounce:

I still can't understand, why was Barrichello interested in renewing his contract. Is he really excited about the prospect of fighting for last position for the rest of his career?

Jag_Warrior
5th August 2007, 20:58
Well, he said he'd like to someday do the Indy 500 - why not just suck it up and join AGR in the IRL? It would be a tough choice. Staying with a team that has you smelling the exhaust of a Spyker, or going to one where you'd have Danica Patrick as a teammate and they'd make you wear an IRL patch on your uniform? Humiliation or shame? Shame or humiliation?

I was never a real fan of Rubens, but I do feel bad for him now.