PDA

View Full Version : Fuss about the new Potter book

janneppi
18th July 2007, 13:06
It was in the news that the newest Potter book, Harry Potter and Just in it for the money has leaked in to the web despite distributor spending 15 million Eur to prevent it happening before the official release date.

Now is the pirate news just a part of media hype, or are the publishers stupid enough to believe they could protect a masterpiece of this nature from leaking?

and by nature I mean manure.

Drew
18th July 2007, 13:47
My sister is going to a bookstore on Friday night to buy the book at midnight. Why can't she go out partying like everybody else? :p :

Storm
19th July 2007, 00:27
Or on saturday morning? Or wait a few days for cheaper paperbacks :p :

LeonBrooke
19th July 2007, 03:46
I'm going to be there to buy a copy on Saturday. I can't wait.

LotusElise
19th July 2007, 09:34
I've never read any of the books or seen any of the films. It's not that I am "anti" Potter, it's just that there are a million other books I want to read and I don't see what the fuss is about.

LeonBrooke
19th July 2007, 09:40
...it's just that there are a million other books I want to read and I don't see what the fuss is about.

Read the third one first, and you'll change your mind. They're very quick and easy to read, so there'll be plenty of time for all the other books :)

Donney
19th July 2007, 10:58
I read the first one also, and I agree they are easy and entertaining at times. I don't get the fuss but then I am not a crazy teenager.

Dave B
19th July 2007, 17:59
I notice that the publishers had a hissy fit because Asda wanted to sell the book for well below the RRP. I thought price-fixing was illegal...

Brown, Jon Brow
19th July 2007, 18:03
The 1st one I 'tried' to read was the 4th one. But the plot was far to complex for me to understand so I had to give up half way through :mad:

jso1985
20th July 2007, 00:11
complex plot? :p :

I read the first one, easy to understand even if it was in Swedish I understood the whole plot quite easily, it was also entertaining but never actually wanted to read the other books

LeonBrooke
20th July 2007, 10:12
Yes, complex plot very much :mad:

Don't judge it until you've read it.

CarlMetro
20th July 2007, 12:22
Read the third one first

I can't say I've ever read any of the books, or seen any of the films, so I cannot form any real judgement on them but surely if you're about to start reading any authors output, especially one where a series of books follows on from the previous, it would be best to start with the first book?

Loobylou
20th July 2007, 12:56
I can't say I've ever read any of the books, or seen any of the films, so I cannot form any real judgement on them but surely if you're about to start reading any authors output, especially one where a series of books follows on from the previous, it would be best to start with the first book?

Well I've started at the beginning with Terry Pratchett, four/five weeks in & I'm about a third of the way through the series. :)

Going to come unstuck soon as there's a gap in my collection though. :s

Only read one Potter, the first, not bad but didn't make me desperate to buy the others, but if I spot them cheap I'll no doubt pick them up.

Flat.tyres
20th July 2007, 16:19
the new film is great though. have a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mvrFHcgsc&mode=related&search=

go on, you know you want to :devil:

SEATFreak
20th July 2007, 16:34
Seen the move Flay.tyres! And I must say I have never laughed in all my life!!! :rotflmao: :up:

On the 1:30 Lunchtime ITV1 today news a queue of people in the pouring rain with rain macks on an umbrellas up outside of a book store and a girl with green facepaint pretending to be a witch acting like she has got cockroaches raining down on her at the idea the reporter saying he has the ending the the last (Thank God!) Harry Potty book.

Nuff said about the nature of Harry Potty fans! :laugh:

Whose up for going to the end of a queue of Harry Potty fans outside of a bookshop and saying "Look over there..Daniel Radcliffe!"

Caroline
20th July 2007, 16:49
I don't know...perhaps I see things a little differently. But any author that can capture a child's imagination and cause them to read with enthusiasm gets my vote. They are not to everyone's taste but they are well written and well paced. And you should definitely start with the first book!

As for the fans in the queue with the face paint, some people might say it's no different to those people who get flags painted on their faces, wrap themselves up in a flag and queue up for a glimpse of a footy team or F1 driver. Everyone has a right to look as daft as they want.

SEATFreak
20th July 2007, 17:03
Everyone has a right to look as daft as they want.

I think she was taking a diabolicle liberty though! :laugh:

Captain VXR
20th July 2007, 17:07
I have read the first six but they weren't that great tbh

stevie_gerrard
20th July 2007, 17:53
i will buy a copy if i happen to see one on sunday, so not very likely then! :p :

Hazell B
20th July 2007, 19:39
I know this is a bit off topic, but in general the hype about books and book films coming out like this confuses me.

The publishers and film makers demand the actors lie about being huge fans, etc, which is just a ploy to drive up sales at book shops and cinemas. During the LotR rubbish Ian Macellen (sp?) said he read the books each and every year since uni, yet only last week he admitted he hadn't read them at all and had no idea who Gandalf was in truth :mark: I remember the holier than thou attitude from one or two people on here when I said I hadn't read the LotR books and didn't care about them - you would think I was a lower form of life as I hadn't copied some actor with too much time on his hands :p :

I'm sure the Potter books have done loads for children and their reading habbits, but this hype is often added to by lies - hardly a good lesson for kids.

inimitablestoo
20th July 2007, 20:18
My sister is going to a bookstore on Friday night to buy the book at midnight. Why can't she go out partying like everybody else? :p :
With people like me out there, she's probably best going to a bookstore ;)

Anyway, without wishing to give away the juicy details of the new book, I certainly didn't expect the very graphic descriptions of what happens when Harry and Ron declare their undying love for each other, nor what Hermione can do with her magic wand. Just as well the actors will all be over 18 when the film gets done :eek:

race aficionado
20th July 2007, 20:59
I just read the book but I thought the movie was better.

:s mokin:

Storm
20th July 2007, 23:49
race...the movie is going to come out in 2010 :p :

race aficionado
21st July 2007, 03:55
I'm waaaay ahead of you Storm. :D

:s mokin:

tinchote
21st July 2007, 05:52
Read the third one first, and you'll change your mind. They're very quick and easy to read, so there'll be plenty of time for all the other books :)

"The first one" is one of the few books I have ever abandoned mid-way. Just boring.

Drew
21st July 2007, 15:50
I haven't read any of them or seen any of the films and I plan not to.

My sister in the end partied instead of queueing up and got the book today. So, does Potter actually die? :p :

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 16:01
My wife read the first one to see what the fuss was about, it killed her to finish it but she did. She of course, doesn't really get into fantasy stuff, but she did finish it, so I suppose that says something. I personally have no interest. My daughter on the other hand, has read them all, and read the first one when she was only 8. I am all for any book that gets kids cranked up to read, so I wont knock em, but it isn't to my taste.

Of course, I am curious to know if he gets knocked off....

oily oaf
21st July 2007, 20:05
I haven't read any of them or seen any of the films and I plan not to.

My sister in the end partied instead of queueing up and got the book today. So, does Potter actually die? :p :

Yeah he ges burned face up by goblins for being a boring little four-eyed turd.
Can I go to the pub now? :confused:

Hazell B
21st July 2007, 20:17
Oily, are you sure that's right?

I heard he had his throat ripped out by a white rabbit while some knights watched on .......

Eki
21st July 2007, 20:21

I heard he had his throat ripped out by a white rabbit while some knights watched on .......
I heard the rabbit was cream-coloured.

oily oaf
21st July 2007, 20:41

No Hazell the rabbit did indeed make an attempt on his life but fortunately he negated the threat by using The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch. :vader:

Right! Im off to the pub and Eki's buyin'......................possibly :(

Hazell B
21st July 2007, 20:49
Hang on, Eki's still counting to three :s

DonnieDarco
21st July 2007, 21:16
I don't know...perhaps I see things a little differently. But any author that can capture a child's imagination and cause them to read with enthusiasm gets my vote. They are not to everyone's taste but they are well written and well paced. And you should definitely start with the first book!

As for the fans in the queue with the face paint, some people might say it's no different to those people who get flags painted on their faces, wrap themselves up in a flag and queue up for a glimpse of a footy team or F1 driver. Everyone has a right to look as daft as they want.

I completely agree. Though I must say that although I was there at midnight, I stopped short of costume :D

Any author who can drive a nine year old boy to sit down and read a book over 500 pages long, which doesn't talk down to him because he's a child, gets my vote.

My son now 16, has read all the books several times through. The amount she has done for children's literature is immeasurable, because it doesn't stop with her books. Children then realise there's a wonderful world on the written page, and go out to seek other books. That's been my experience anyway.

As for myself, I've loved children's books since I was.........well, a child :D I own most of the books I adored when little, and have enjoyed countless other new authors, including Eoin Colfer, writer of the fabulous Artemis Fowl stories. Having a child to read them to or with, makes you rediscover what you loved to read when young yourself :D

They are of course not to everyone's taste, but as per usual in this forum, its a shame when people are made to feel somehow tasteless or stupid for liking something others don't.

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 22:32
Artemis Fowl, another favourite of my daughter, proving JK Rowling didn't invent this genre, but she just has done a better job becoming a millionaire from it. My daughter has told me she prefers the Colfer books actually.....although it is pretty much a dead heat with Potter I suspect.

BDunnell
21st July 2007, 22:41
I completely agree. Though I must say that although I was there at midnight, I stopped short of costume :D

Any author who can drive a nine year old boy to sit down and read a book over 500 pages long, which doesn't talk down to him because he's a child, gets my vote.

My son now 16, has read all the books several times through. The amount she has done for children's literature is immeasurable, because it doesn't stop with her books. Children then realise there's a wonderful world on the written page, and go out to seek other books. That's been my experience anyway.

As for myself, I've loved children's books since I was.........well, a child :D I own most of the books I adored when little, and have enjoyed countless other new authors, including Eoin Colfer, writer of the fabulous Artemis Fowl stories. Having a child to read them to or with, makes you rediscover what you loved to read when young yourself :D

They are of course not to everyone's taste, but as per usual in this forum, its a shame when people are made to feel somehow tasteless or stupid for liking something others don't.

:up:

oily oaf
22nd July 2007, 08:03
Donnie you're absolutely right of course.
Anything that can lure a kid away from the delights of the moving Playstation has to be a force for good.
Consider my grimy wrist well and truly slapped :(

I must confess however that I do raise a questionable eyebrow when big people gush enthusiastically about the artistic merits of Ms Rowlings' scribblings.
One rather deluded American lady talking on the listening BBC wireless described the tomes as being on a par with the works of Jane Austen :(
I mean to say are these low brow scum totally unaware of the existence of "The Fundamentals Of Motor Vehicle Technology" now in it's 23rd glorious year or "Lulu And Cliff. Our Forbidden Love"?
I can't see the attraction personally.
(switches off "The Clangers Go Pussy Crazy" on moving, speaking television, picks up Harry Potter And The Incontinence Pants Of Doom and begins to read)

janneppi
22nd July 2007, 18:06
I agree with that, just to add that everyone can also laugh at them as much as they want. :)

GridGirl
22nd July 2007, 23:00
I managed to finnish the last book tonight. I think out of all of them, it is probably my favourite.

I too was a bit dubious about the whole Potter Mania thing when it reach its heights at about book 4. When friends kept encouraging me to read it, I finally gave in. The first two are books more so for children, and I didn't much see the point of why my adult friends were so into it. The latter books are where it all gets interesting and I got hooked on them too.

Now I know how it all ends, I do kind of miss it already as theres nothing else to be revealed.

Mark
23rd July 2007, 08:51
I did get half way through "The Prisoner of Askaban" but then lost interest..

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2007, 10:40
Hmm. I see that many of you read the books/watched the movies. Which quite confused me cos I think it's for kids only. I tried to watch the first movie of the series but at my age I found it boring and much under other productions of the genre.
I admit kids might be thrilled ( wonder if any of them had heared about the wonderful fairy tales of Andersen, Grimm brothers, C. Perrault, etc ) but I can't understand all this hysteria. I also admit that marketing has its own rules but why do we have to mix children with such rubbish?

Mark
23rd July 2007, 10:51
I do have an ambition to read all of the Harry Potter books, but in French :p . Considering my current skill level that might be a very far off prospect :p

harsha
23rd July 2007, 11:00
well i like the harry potter series,decent read :D

got the last one off the web,pretty easy to find if u know the place to look ;)

DonnieDarco
23rd July 2007, 14:19
I do have an ambition to read all of the Harry Potter books, but in French :p . Considering my current skill level that might be a very far off prospect :p

Or, you could buy all the audio CD's in french and listen to them :D

LeonBrooke
24th July 2007, 22:56
I've just finished the book, and I have to say it's one of, if not the, best book I've ever read.

I was in tears with the emotion of it pretty much all through. Couldn't put it down.

Absolutely brilliant.

And why read the third one first? It's the most exciting of the early ones, and you can understand it without having read the first two.

stevie_gerrard
25th July 2007, 00:09

Hey i have the third book in french if you want to borrow it :p :

i have finished the final book tonight, and i have to say that i was quite impressed with the whole plotline, thought it was a good read :)

(i managed to buy a copy at the airport referring to my previous post )

Still, it's absolutely gutting that Harry dies ;)

Sleeper
25th July 2007, 13:57
I read the first one a few years after it came out and I thought it was pretty rubbish to be honest (being about 14/15 at the time) and then pocked fun at the films as well, I was more of a Tolkien fan. However, I've gone back to them in recent years and loved them, JK Rowling is an impressive writter and you can see how the books "grew up" with the charetcters.

I just wonder how many of the 3 million copies of book 7 that were bought in the first 24 hours were by/for kids?

A.F.F.
27th July 2007, 09:14
I've read first six Harry Potter books ( in finnish ) and last night I watched the last of the movies. What comes to the books, I find them very good. They are easy to read but like many have said, the characters and the world is brilliant. I like them very much. :up: