PDA

View Full Version : DEI may buy Ginn

Jonesi
16th July 2007, 23:17
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2938704

Aussie12
17th July 2007, 01:03
Good thing Junior didn't go to Ginn then, isn't it?

Galveston dunes
17th July 2007, 01:17
Could this possibly have anything to do with Jr moving on. Did Theresa all ready have irons in the fire that Jr. didn't agree on and thats why he wanted controlling power- to squash the deal with Ginn? Just a thought.

blakebeatty
17th July 2007, 18:02
Good thing Junior didn't go to Ginn then, isn't it?

How funny would that have been! Jr. leaves DEI, joins Ginn, and winds up back at DEI! Priceless!

RaceFanStan
17th July 2007, 18:28
I don't see that happening.
DEI has 3 teams & so does Ginn Racing.
NASCAR is limiting the team owners from having more than 4 teams.
Ginn Racing wants to be a success in Nextel Cup AS A TEAM OWNER.
Ginn Racing is currently leasing Hendrick engines & Mark Martin has done well in a Ginn Racing car.
I could see DEI & Ginn sharing technical information and maybe a engine and/or chassis deal(s).
But a merger seems way off-base ...... :s hock:

DEI needs to concentrate on boosting their performance & expansion seems unrealistic.

muggle not
17th July 2007, 18:50
Seems to be strange bedfellows but I do believe a merger will happen. Ginn is in deep financial straits and needs a way out fast. DEI just may have enough money to pick up an organization on the "cheep". How the teams shake out will depend a lot on what Menard does. "If" Menard leaves a possible scenario will be:

Truex
Martin & Almirola sharing a ride
Regan Smith ( yes- Regan will survive as he will continue to develop)
Unnamed for #8 car

Nemechek & Marlin - history

princess4e
17th July 2007, 19:46
Looks like the deal may happen......and that means there is no room for Kyle. Whew.....would hate to see him in the 8.
P

Sparky1329
17th July 2007, 20:47
Seems to be strange bedfellows but I do believe a merger will happen. Ginn is in deep financial straits and needs a way out fast. DEI just may have enough money to pick up an organization on the "cheep". How the teams shake out will depend a lot on what Menard does. "If" Menard leaves a possible scenario will be:

Truex
Unnamed for #8 car

It looks like that may be the way it shakes out.

RaceFanStan
17th July 2007, 21:20
Sad but it appears to be true. :s

from espn.com :
Regan Smith will replace Sterling Marlin in the #14 at Ginn Racing
starting with the Allstate 400 at Indianapolis on July 29
Joe Nemechek could be out of a ride in the #13 for Bobby Ginn's team due to a lack of sponsorship.
The #13 team doesn't plan to run the car at Indianapolis unless a sponsor is found.

Sterling Marlin & Joe Nemechek are still under contract at Ginn Racing
but both drivers have been told they are free to look for opportunities elsewhere :s

Jonesi
17th July 2007, 21:47
Here's the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2939650

#13 is 75 points behind #14 but both are in the "top 35". If they stop entering races with it, they have about 5 events before it falls out of "top 35" and its value drops greatly. Right now just the owners points transfer alone should be worth $2-3mil to any of the Toyota teams.

RaceFanStan
17th July 2007, 22:41
I am surprised that Ginn Racing can't get some good sponsors.
As Jonesi says, Ginn Racing has all of it's cars in the top 35 which has to be an asset.

If a Toyota team buys Ginn Racing, then there will be 3 Toyotas guranteed to make the next few races ...... :eek:

The question becomes :
How much is Toyota willing to spend to make certain they make races ?

Ginn Racing is in a decent position to sell NOW :eek:
Owner's Points :
10th #01
30th #14
34th #13

muggle not
17th July 2007, 22:56
Forget Yota. They are merging with DEI, except the #13 team may go to the highest bidder.

Yeah, it is sad to see another veteran (Marlin) no longer racing but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Sparky1329
17th July 2007, 23:01
I am surprised that Ginn Racing can't get some good sponsors.
As Jonesi says, Ginn Racing has all of it's cars in the top 35 which has to be an asset.

If a Toyota team buys Ginn Racing, then there will be 3 Toyotas guranteed to make the next few races ...... :eek:

The question becomes :
How much is Toyota willing to spend to make certain they make races ?

Ginn Racing is in a decent position to sell NOW :eek:
Owner's Points :
10th #01
30th #14
34th #13

Sometimes this sponsorship stuff defies logic. Bobby Hamilton won the CTS championship and immediately lost his sponsor. Go figure.

dont_be_jack
17th July 2007, 23:50
If this merger does occur, it is entirely possible that the #8 isn't raced because it would force Ginn to lose two cars...remember that. As of now, the #8 has no driver and I think it would be more likely for it to go then both the #13 and #14.

harvick#1
18th July 2007, 00:44
Sometimes this sponsorship stuff defies logic. Bobby Hamilton won the CTS championship and immediately lost his sponsor. Go figure.

what about last year with the USCG, they got 10 wins last year from the 21 including the championship and they lasted 1 year :s

muggle not
18th July 2007, 01:29
If this merger does occur, it is entirely possible that the #8 isn't raced because it would force Ginn to lose two cars...remember that. As of now, the #8 has no driver and I think it would be more likely for it to go then both the #13 and #14.

It is entirely possible that the #8 car will not be raced at DEI / Ginn. Menard is the key and decisions will have to be made very soon by all involved. If Menard stays then a hard decision on #8 car is necessary. I still think that Shrub will end up at Penske or Ganassi and Bud will be with Evernham / Kasey.

Truex
Unnamed for #8 car

BobbyC
18th July 2007, 02:38
Nemechek and DEI could be together. In 2002, after Nemechek lost his ride because of sponsorship issues (Haas-Carter), he was a driver assured of a spot in The Winston (had won Rockingham in the fall of 2001). DEI gave him a car for testing just in case he hadn't secured the ride before then.

Marlin has been released and Nemechek is available on the open market, and the #13 will be evaluated.

This is surely a byproduct of NASCAR's television contract where lower exposure is guaranteed between Race 14 and 25.

Sparky1329
18th July 2007, 05:54
It is entirely possible that the #8 car will not be raced at DEI / Ginn. Menard is the key and decisions will have to be made very soon by all involved. If Menard stays then a hard decision on #8 car is necessary. I still think that Shrub will end up at Penske or Ganassi and Bud will be with Evernham / Kasey.

I can see the #13 points going to the #15 or the #15 becoming the #13. Paul said on Trackside on Friday night that he's signed through 2008. I don't see Shrub at Penske. I'm not sure Roger is that much a glutton for punishment.

muggle not
18th July 2007, 23:51
Sterling Marlin Comments on His Release: Sterling Marlin spoke about his release Tuesday afternoon on "Sirius Speedway" with host Dave Moody:
Marlin: "I was planning on cutting back next year but still would have liked to finish the year out like you're supposed to and do everything that was in the contract that we're supposed to do and we just don't look like we're gonna do it."
Moody: "What's next for you? Do you go out there and beat the bushes for another ride or not?"
Marlin: "No. No. I mean, I've had some guys call already and we've just got to get this contract worked out. Like I said, I've got a contract with them. We've just got to come together and see what we're gonna do. Let the lawyers handle it and if I want to run somebody's car next year I can run somebody's car [for] 15-20 races next year. Or, somebody's Busch car. I still enjoy racing, still enjoy it a lot. The travel part of it is getting old but as far as firing a car up on Sunday, there's nothing like it. We'll see what happens. I've got a ton of things going on around here but it's still fun to race, too." (Sirius Radio)

Jonesi
19th July 2007, 00:34
NascarNow just reported that Ginn/DEI merger/buyout talks are dragging out, since Ginn has found out that his #13 maybe shut down team is worth more than $2mil to some other teams. (I could have told them that ;-)

For those without a scorecard (and the Brickyard 400 entry list won't be announced until Monday)
01 - Mark Martin 2/3 - Aric Almirola remaining 1/3 schedule
14 - Regan Smith (full time) Sterling Marlin out (rumored to be going to Morgan-McClure.)
13 - Joe Nemechek if sponsorship can be found, otherwise shut down and owner points transfered.
(Should they be sold to a three car team, I would think Nascar would let them run 5 or 6 cars until the end of the year, but only let them have 4 teams next year.)

blakebeatty
19th July 2007, 15:06
NascarNow just reported that Ginn/DEI merger/buyout talks are dragging out, since Ginn has found out that his #13 maybe shut down team is worth more than $2mil to some other teams. (I could have told them that ;-)

Though I agree that a top 35 team is incredibly valuable, remember when Mikey bought Penske-Jasper, and used the 77's OP to qualify for races when he first left DEI. Well, he squandered the OP, and dropped out of the top 35 anyway.

Jonesi
19th July 2007, 19:47
Though I agree that a top 35 team is incredibly valuable, remember when Mikey bought Penske-Jasper, and used the 77's OP to qualify for races when he first left DEI. Well, he squandered the OP, and dropped out of the top 35 anyway.

At the begining of the season everyone is equal with 0 points and last year's "top 35" is only good for 5 races. In the middle of the season as they are now, they have a few hundred point pad from the bottom and its good 17 races this year and 5 more next year.

dwboogityfan
23rd July 2007, 06:26
Having been away all week news of Sterlings release is tough to understand. Bobby Ginn is a disgrace and hope his team struggles. To treat two veterans in Sterling and Joe the way he has is unbelievable. Regan Smith hasn't done much in the #01 has he? Good luck to Sterling and Joe in the future, but not to Ginn.

RaceFanStan
23rd July 2007, 13:18
I had hoped Sterling & Joe would finish this season out with Ginn Racing but ...
again trusted & proven veterans are thrown aside in favor of a young gun that may or may not have talent. :s

Ginn Racing should thank Sterling & Joe for getting their cars in the top 35 ...
instead they get the boot .... :s

blakebeatty
23rd July 2007, 15:18
Sterling was very disspointed (as was Joe) as he said that the classy thing to do would have been to let them finish the season.

Much as I hate the decision, Sterling and Joe don't have the lure to big sponsor dollars that allow a team to run

muggle not
23rd July 2007, 15:25
Sterling was very disspointed (as was Joe) as he said that the classy thing to do would have been to let them finish the season.

Much as I hate the decision, Sterling and Joe don't have the lure to big sponsor dollars that allow a team to run
Pretty much on the nose. Everyone has to realize that Ginn needs money (sponsors) in order to run the teams. The bottom unexpectedly fell out for Ginn. Personally I think that some sponsors are missing a good bet. I would probably made the same decision as Ginn in his circumstance. I like Marlin, however, he is going on 50 yrs old. Regan keeps improving his talent and I would go with the young driver in this case, and not because he is a friend of the family.

Jonesi
24th July 2007, 00:38
Pretty much on the nose. Everyone has to realize that Ginn needs money (sponsors) in order to run the teams. The bottom unexpectedly fell out for Ginn. Personally I think that some sponsors are missing a good bet. I would probably made the same decision as Ginn in his circumstance. I like Marlin, however, he is going on 50 yrs old. Regan keeps improving his talent and I would go with the young driver in this case, and not because he is a friend of the family.

I don't think "unexpectedly" is the right word here. They used up the paying sponsors early, went to non paying Ginn Resorts, then went to blank hoods to show people the needed sponsors. The drivers have probably seen this developing for weeks.

blakebeatty
24th July 2007, 02:32
When i was in Charlotte in May, we went to Ginn on memorial day, hoping to see the shop. They were closed but we timed it as such that an employee checking on the building took us on an UNBELIEVABLE tour. We actually sat in Nemecheck's hauler's lounge with the cars from the 600 still up top, not yet unloaded.

Anyway, the whole time we were there, this guy complained about the money, and the sponsors, and this and that. Didn't think much of it at the time, but now that this has happened, I realize he was basically telling us that it was going to happen. They have known for some time.

PS. I have pictures from the every corner of the bowels of the Ginn Racing shop to corroborate my story.

MD24
24th July 2007, 02:36
PS. I have pictures from the every corner of the bowels of the Ginn Racing shop to corroborate my story.

Would love to see your pics

blakebeatty
24th July 2007, 03:12
I have tried to upload them to photobucket, which i have never used before... hope it works: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/blakebeatty/

My camera sucked with the lights in the shop off, it was no where nears as dark (nor blurry) as the pictures portray.

Very interesting. Lots of facts that you dont normally hear. He said that they pay 15 millon dollars per year for the hendrick engine leasing. The engines were everywhere.

Also, the Furniture Row team rents garage space from Ginn since they are based out of colorado. I didn't know that before going to Ginn.

I am the guy in the lowe's racing shirt in pic in nemechek's hauler's lounge. i blanked out the guys face as i don't want to get him in trouble (if he's not layed off)

Jonesi
24th July 2007, 03:51
Thanks for posting the photos.

That place is HUGE! Do all the top teams have shops big enough to fit all their haulers in?

BTW $15 million for three teams is about $140k per race/motor! Pricey but then they're the best motors in the sport.

Sparky1329
24th July 2007, 03:52
I have tried to upload them to photobucket, which i have never used before... hope it works: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/blakebeatty/

My camera sucked with the lights in the shop off, it was no where nears as dark (nor blurry) as the pictures portray.

Very interesting. Lots of facts that you dont normally hear. He said that they pay 15 millon dollars per year for the hendrick engine leasing. The engines were everywhere.

Also, the Furniture Row team rents garage space from Ginn since they are based out of colorado. I didn't know that before going to Ginn.

I am the guy in the lowe's racing shirt in pic in nemechek's hauler's lounge. i blanked out the guys face as i don't want to get him in trouble (if he's not layed off)

Wow! Great pics. You really were everywhere in that place. Thanks!

blakebeatty
24th July 2007, 03:56
Do all the top teams have shops big enough to fit all their haulers in?

Yeah, actually, the only exception is MWR, which is outside but covered for some reason.. The biggest building is penske, at 480 000 sq feet. it's absolutely unbelievable. Literally mind boggling. Ganassi is amazing.

Hendrick, RCR, and Roush are the biggest complexes. They have buildings for each team, chassis fab, body fab, engines, dynos, even a show cars development division building.

I will post a second album of the other shops.

blakebeatty
24th July 2007, 04:07
Some of these pics are from this year, some a couple of years ago. The old MBV shop pictured was what is now the team Ginn racing, but the shop building is Boris Said's no fear racing. Some don't show much, others are completely wide open.

MD24
24th July 2007, 04:23
Great pics, thanks

blakebeatty
24th July 2007, 04:41
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/blakebeatty/Race%20Shops/

Jonesi
24th July 2007, 23:47
Just announced on NascarNow and on Jayski. Done deal DEI buys/merges with Ginn. Some details not mentioned/settled, but so far: 4 car DEI team DEjr, MTjr, PM & MM. #15 gets #14 owner points, #78 probably gets #13 points (and Regan Smith gets the shaft??) Also it looks like Joe N will be in the #08 this weekend.

harvick#1
25th July 2007, 00:21
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7056284

official news, DEI-Ginn join forces, will operate out of Ginn Motorsports shop

harvick#1
25th July 2007, 01:15
Mark Martin to the 8?

that can easily happen and its looks plausible :D

muggle not
25th July 2007, 14:06
DEI is in talks with Martin about driving the #8 car next year. That may possibly open up the #01 car for Regan Smith, at least I hope so.

Sparky1329
25th July 2007, 16:14
DEI is in talks with Martin about driving the #8 car next year. That may possibly open up the #01 car for Regan Smith, at least I hope so.

I don't know, muggles. It looks like he's odd man out at this point.

Jonesi
25th July 2007, 17:58
Mark Martin to the 8?

that can easily happen and its looks plausible :D

If the current sponsor stays, I don't think he will.

blakebeatty
26th July 2007, 16:18
DEI still needs to make a play on Busch, Biffle, or Newman for the 8 car. Mark Martin does not want to race much longer. What are we on now? Mark Martin's Salute to You 3?

Sparky1329
26th July 2007, 21:20
DEI still needs to make a play on Busch, Biffle, or Newman for the 8 car. Mark Martin does not want to race much longer. What are we on now? Mark Martin's Salute to You 3?

Aric Almirola is sharing the #01. I would assume that unless he fizzles badly he'd be in the catbird seat for an eventual full-time seat.

blakebeatty
27th July 2007, 05:21
This is fine for the 01. Earnhardt's leaving, and Martin's lack of full time makes two empty seats.

Jonesi
27th July 2007, 08:33
More info on why the #13 points didn't go to the #78.
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/07/23/scene_daily50.html

blakebeatty
27th July 2007, 15:10
Knowing this, would Ginn not have been able to sell the owner points, and then merge?

Sparky1329
27th July 2007, 16:04
More on Aric Almirola and Max Siegel from Marty Smith @ ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=smith_marty&id=2949970

snippet:

Last week, Almirola left Gibbs to share the No. 01 Chevy with Mark Martin at Ginn, and, in turn, he becomes part of the package in the DEI/Ginn merger.

But that's not all. Ginn Racing is the former MB2. Still in need of financial assistance, MB2 was sold to Bobby Ginn exactly a year ago -- July 26, 2006. Despite the perception of infinite expendable cash, the inability to secure sponsorship for its Nextel Cup teams left Ginn Racing in financial trouble this season, prompting the DEI merger.

Siegel is ecstatic, as well he should be. He and his senior management team -- John Story, Joe Hedrick, Richie Gilmore, Steve Hmiel, Chad Warpula and Judy Queen -- achieved the impossible. Not only does DEI get Mark Martin, an unparalleled mentor to its existing drivers Martin Truex Jr. and Paul Menard, it also gets Almirola, the driver whose career Siegel helped launch in the first place.

Aric Almirola was the guy Max Siegel -- and the late Reggie White -- wanted all along.

"It's actually kind of scary to me that we're back where I started," Siegel said Wednesday.

Siegel said he and White originally had planned to partner with Rick Hendrick on a NASCAR Busch Series operation. Then the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash in October 2004 halted that initiative.

A couple of months had passed, and Siegel said Hendrick contacted him about the program. Hendrick explained that in order for him to be involved, White and Siegel had to purchase a team with an existing Hendrick partnership. Enter MB2, whose engines were supplied by Hendrick. At the time, Valvoline was part-owner of MB2, as well.

All the pieces were in place, then White passed away.