PDA

View Full Version : A66 dualling

Mark
16th July 2007, 12:40
Drove the section between Scotch Corner and Greta Bridge (the turnoff for Barnard Castle) last week.

Work is progressing at quite a pace, there is a new carriageway down alongside the existing road and all traffic is now using that in contraflow. The old road has new crash barriers and they are in the process of re-lining it all, so it should be open in a few weeks.

Unfortunately it's being done in two sections with a one mile strech of single carriageway inbetween, and because of the unique way road building is funded, it looks like the plans to do this section have been dropped, along with the rest of the plans to dual all of the A66 :rolleyes: . Seems it's not possible to have any scheme going for longer than 2 years without it being scrapped at some point.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th July 2007, 14:02
Is this section in between Appleby and Penrith, or am I in the wrong area?

suzy m
16th July 2007, 18:29
Mark is talking about the section near the A1.

I quite often use the A66 when heading up home. Makes a nice change from motorway for hour upon hour and some of the scenery is just stunning. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
16th July 2007, 19:26
Yeah. Is it the Temple Sowerby bypass? That's on the A66

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/images/155_a66_temple_sowerby_large.gif

That's near where my brother/s live

Iain
16th July 2007, 21:33
I do wish they'd hurry up with that section between Barnard Castle and Scotch Corner. I'm always bursting for the loo and get stuck behind all the slow vehicles there!! :p :

I do like the road when it crosses Bowes Moor. :)

Mark
17th July 2007, 07:44
Yeah. Is it the Temple Sowerby bypass? That's on the A66

That's near where my brother/s live

No, although that's being done too. As Iain says I was between Barnard Castle and Scotch Corner.