PDA

View Full Version : MOT question

Mark
16th July 2007, 07:39
Sorry if this sounds thick but I've never put a car through an MOT before and if you don't ask you don't find out,, because no bugger is telling me :p

My car was registered on 30.7.2004 so it's 3 years old at the end of this month. So presumably it has to have an MOT before that time? I've booked it into the garage for that to happen this Wednesday.

However I've received nothing through the post from VOSA or anyone else to say "Please take your car for an MOT", as I expected.. They are very quick to send me demands for road tax but for the MOT, nothing.

I know it's all computerised these days so don't want to put my car into the garage just for them to tell me I shouldn't have it in until next month or something :s

Daniel
16th July 2007, 08:06
As far as I know you don't receive anything in the mail. They just come and crush your car :p

Caroline says you just have to remember. No mail reminder :)

Mark
16th July 2007, 08:12
As far as I know you don't receive anything in the mail. They just come and crush your car :p

Caroline says you just have to remember. No mail reminder :)

Ta. Just didn't want to turn up and have them turn me away :p . I expect the 'reminder' is actually done via the road tax, i.e. no MOT cert, no tax disc.

Donney
16th July 2007, 10:40
Around here it's the same they would not remind you when you have to go through your ITV (MOT) you just have to know thanks to some external knowledge which you should somehow posses. But they won't forget to collect my taxes. :(

Dave B
16th July 2007, 13:42
I've never had a MOT letter, but the new style certificates have a peel-off reminder sticker. Not much help when the car's new, though!

Mine's 9am tomorrow, so fingers crossed :erm:

Daniel
16th July 2007, 13:46
Perhaps they could print off a sticker when you buy your new car?

Dave B
16th July 2007, 13:55
Perhaps when you buy a new car you should also purchase the calendar for three years ahead, and put a little cross on the date :p

Daniel
16th July 2007, 14:03
Where can I get calendars for three years ahead? :mark: :p :

Mark
16th July 2007, 14:13
Microsoft Outlook? :p

Daniel
16th July 2007, 14:26
I replace my PC's sooner than every 3 years :p

LotusElise
16th July 2007, 17:01
Write the date on the back of your tax disc holder. That way you'll read it at least once a year when you sort the tax out.
I never got sent any reminders for the first MOT, although any garages you have dealt with will probably send you reminders for subsequent ones.

janneppi
17th July 2007, 07:51
I got a MOT letter last week, apparently I can visit the nice blokes between August and December, I just need to bring 75 Eur with me to some bogus emission test.

Dave B
17th July 2007, 17:47
Mine's 9am tomorrow, so fingers crossed :erm:
It passed, thanks for asking :p

schmenke
17th July 2007, 18:30
No such thing as an MOT inspection here :p :

We just allow any old POS on the roads :mark: