PDA

View Full Version : Could Kyle Be Let Go - Now

muggle not
16th July 2007, 02:05
Kyle Busch could be let go at Hendrick after today’s race (http://autoracingsport.com/nascar/kyle-busch-could-be-let-go-at-hendrick-after-todays-race/)

AutoRacingSport.com has learned from several sources that Hendrick Motorsports is considering letting Kyle Busch out of his contract with the team as early as Monday…essentially firing him.
Busch is leaving the team at the end of the season and is currently in talks with other Nextel Cup teams for a ride in 2008 and beyond. Busch has said that the team has made him feel like an outsider since the announcement that he wouldn’t be returning to the team after this season and reiterated those comments at this weekends’ race in Chicagoland.
“I’m not helping anybody but myself and this team for winning races,” Busch said at Chicagoland. “And I’m not helping Jeff Gordon. I’m not helping Jimmie Johnson or Casey Mears. They are able to go back and see what I run and that kind of stuff. But for me, it’s just to go out there and to try to win races and keep winning with my name.”

Word is that Rick Hendrick is furious with these comments and Hendrick Motorsports Vice President of Development Doug Duchardt essentially said Sunday that it is going to be put to a stop.
“Obviously you can’t continue the way it’s going with his comments,” he said. “Our goal was to finish out the season working just like we had at the beginning of the season. And if he’s choosing to not be a teammate, then we’re going to have to address how his role is going to be within the team and what he’s going to need to do.
“It’s a difficult situation being made more difficult than it needs to be.”

harvick#1
16th July 2007, 02:16
the question is does Hendrick risk letting the 5 car out of the top 12.

Kyle is still getting the job done, but is complaining about how bad HMS is now and you do sort of have to feel for him because just because hes leaving, doesn't mean you have to force him away from all team meetings and not feel like being apart of the team.

I don't think Jr. knows what hes getting himself into. Hes gonna lose alot of his "band wagon" fanbase, Bud is gonna suffer huge loses in sale merchandise. I think hes gonna quickly find out that if you don't win in Hendrick and play second fiddle to Gordon and Johnson, your out-a-there.

just look at Vickers, a guy Ricky Hendrick hand picked, Brian just never got the breaks he needed during races to win an event. until the Talladega race, which was an accident by wrecking the top 2 not on purpose

ShadowCar
16th July 2007, 02:25
the question is does Hendrick risk letting the 5 car out of the top 12.

Kyle is still getting the job done, but is complaining about how bad HMS is now and you do sort of have to feel for him because just because hes leaving, doesn't mean you have to force him away from all team meetings and not feel like being apart of the team.

I don't think Jr. knows what hes getting himself into. Hes gonna lose alot of his "band wagon" fanbase, Bud is gonna suffer huge loses in sale merchandise. I think hes gonna quickly find out that if you don't win in Hendrick and play second fiddle to Gordon and Johnson, your out-a-there.

just look at Vickers, a guy Ricky Hendrick hand picked, Brian just never got the breaks he needed during races to win an event. until the Talladega race, which was an accident by wrecking the top 2 not on purpose

I don't see all this doom and gloom for Junior. He and Kyle are very different personalities and I don't think he'll clash with Johnson or Gordon. Despite what people say, Junior is not an ego maniac and I think all he wants to do is win and not put up with the BS he's had to deal with at DEI.

Bud will be fine. Junior will be fine. And as for the bandwagon fans, if someone was a fan because 1) he's Senior's son 2) he drove for DEI or 3) his sponsor was Bud and now they're not because he's gone to HMS, doesn't drive for DEI and has left Bud behind....well, they were never a Junior fan in the first place, despite what they say. I say fine, enjoy your new driver. Life goes on. :)

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 02:40
I think that less important than keeping the 5 in the top 12 at this point, is keeping the both the 24 and 48 in the chase... by Kyle's comments, he would wreck a teammate if he had to, and if this is detrimental to the championship run of two cars, I'd sacrifice one.

I think that after Vickers cost Jimmie the win at october talladega, Rick can't take any chances with this. I'd fire him. Anyone could keep that car in the top 35.

I am sure that Texas Terry would happy to take a spin in his old 5 car.

muggle not
16th July 2007, 02:51
I would fire his Azz. When an employee thinks he is bigger than the organization it is time to let him/her go. Time for Shrub to learn some of life's lessons.

As for Jr, this will turn out to be a great career move on his part and his fan base will increase.

harvick#1
16th July 2007, 02:51
Anyone could keep that car in the top 35.

Derrike Cope :p :

RaceFanStan
16th July 2007, 02:57
IMO, Kyle Busch was handed the dirty end of the stick by HMS.
The more Kyle can get his name out there, the more interest there could be.
Don't forget that Kyle Busch is looking for a ride for next year, he needs to keep his name circulating. :D

harvick#1
16th July 2007, 02:58
hes already too talented not to get a ride, its the whether of his attitude

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 03:07
Don't forget that Kyle Busch is looking for a ride for next year, he needs to keep his name circulating. :D

Sorry RFS, I know you are playing hurt, but I have to disagree with you. Hendrick wanted to keep Kyle in play, and in the hunt all year. I guarantee Kyle still had the full support of Hendrick to win races.

Kyle negotiated himself out of the contract, he's got one one to blame but himself.

Aussie12
16th July 2007, 03:28
...Hendrick wanted to keep Kyle in play, and in the hunt all year. I guarantee Kyle still had the full support of Hendrick to win races.

Agreed. :up: (sorry Stan :p ) Vickers had full HMS support right till the end and he didn't have anywhere near the success rate of Busch the Younger.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that even though Hendrick is miffed, he’ll let Busch the Younger’s antics slide for now.

ShadowCar
16th July 2007, 03:54

Poor Kyle needs some serious coaching in PR. I know the cliche is that ANY publicity is good publicity, but he's really not presenting himself in a very positive light. The minute something goes wrong, his attitude goes in the tank. At first I was surprised that some team didn't snap him up right away...after all, he doesn't come with the Junior baggage...but unless he's being very picky (which he should be) I don't see the feeding frenzy around him that we saw with Junior. My prediction....DEI. Truex gets along with him and he'll fit way better there than at JGR or RCR. They have some difficult personalities on both those teams.

muggle not
16th July 2007, 04:04
Agreed. :up: (sorry Stan :p ) Vickers had full HMS support right till the end and he didn't have anywhere near the success rate of Busch the Younger.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that even though Hendrick is miffed, he’ll let Busch the Younger’s antics slide for now.
Maybe or maybe not. Either kyle will play within the team concept or he will play elsewhere. HMS will survive with or without Kyle. Kurt also thought he was bigger than his team.

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 04:19
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/PinkArgyle.jpgKurt also thought he was bigger than his team

Roush's decision was easy though. It was the second last race of the season, Kurt was out of contention, and he had just disgraced his team with a sticky criminal act.

Kyle is very much in contention, midway through the season. Hendrick's decision will be significantly more difficult

Aussie12
16th July 2007, 04:43
Maybe or maybe not. Either kyle will play within the team concept or he will play elsewhere. HMS will survive with or without Kyle. Kurt also thought he was bigger than his team.

G'day muggles! :wave:

Hendrick seems to be a fair guy when it comes to how he treats his drivers and I think Busch the Younger will be called to the boss' office for a warning, al la Joe Gibbs pep-talk at Chicagoland. Busch the Younger is beginning to burn bridges, IMHO, which is not a good thing.

Agreed, Busch the Elder thought he was bigger than his team but a humbling year with a new car owner and race team has yanked the ego out of him. Maybe Shrub needs to experience that.

RaceFanStan
16th July 2007, 05:01
Kyle negotiated himself out of the contract, he's got one one to blame but himself.
Yeah, Dale Jr's availability wasn't involved in any way ........ :rolleyes:

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 05:08
I think that Kyle's negotiations opened the door for Jr. I doubt that Kyle was released specifically because of Jr.

Sparky1329
16th July 2007, 05:30
I would fire his Azz. When an employee thinks he is bigger than the organization it is time to let him/her go. Time for Shrub to learn some of life's lessons.

As for Jr, this will turn out to be a great career move on his part and his fan base will increase.

I would fire him too. He is not irreplaceable even though he thinks he is. He's a PR person's worst nightmare and a pretty big liability despite his driving skills. The boy needs to learn the life lessons his parents never taught him. He has justly earned being fired if that's where this deal is headed.

Sparky1329
16th July 2007, 05:32
Poor Kyle needs some serious coaching in PR. I know the cliche is that ANY publicity is good publicity, but he's really not presenting himself in a very positive light. The minute something goes wrong, his attitude goes in the tank. At first I was surprised that some team didn't snap him up right away...after all, he doesn't come with the Junior baggage...but unless he's being very picky (which he should be) I don't see the feeding frenzy around him that we saw with Junior. My prediction....DEI. Truex gets along with him and he'll fit way better there than at JGR or RCR. They have some difficult personalities on both those teams.

:up:

MD24
16th July 2007, 15:30
Still unhappy After criticizing his teammates for not providing help at Daytona International Speedway last week, Kyle Busch expressed displeasure with Hendrick Motorsports again this weekend. The 22-year-old, who is being replaced by Dale Earnhardt Jr. after this season, said he felt alienated during team meetings and questioned strategy after giving up the lead on a pit stop late in Saturday's Busch race.

Team owner Rick Hendrick said the team intends to keep Busch in the No. 5 Chevrolet through the end of the season but is perplexed by the driver's dissatisfaction.
"It just doesn't make sense to me," Hendrick said. "We're working as hard as we can."

tstran17_88
16th July 2007, 18:22
Hendrick seems to be a fair guy when it comes to how he treats his drivers :laugh: His name is usually the one that tops the list whenever someone complains about an owner favoring one driver over the others.

muggle not
17th July 2007, 00:03
Would Kyle having Harvick and Burton as teammates eliminate this type of thing: :)

JOLIET, Ill. It wasn't so much that Kevin Harvick won Saturday's Durock 300 as that Kyle Busch lost it.

Busch, in what his competitors called the car to beat, was leading when Jeff Burton faked him into the pits with 33 laps left in the race for NASCAR Busch Series cars at Chicagoland Speedway.

Under caution, Burton, running second, turned toward the pit road for the benefit of Busch's mirror. Busch drove onto the pit road while Burton turned hard right and stayed on the track.

The top contender for the victory was snookered, and Burton, Harvick and Matt Kenseth could settle it among themselves.

Aussie12
17th July 2007, 00:46
:laugh: His name is usually the one that tops the list whenever someone complains about an owner favoring one driver over the others.

I know I’ve been gone a while so I may not have seen a report/reports stating the above. I thought the HMS teams openly shared information and notes so they could help each other (or get each other in trouble as per the recent COT breach, fine & suspension). But the way Busch the Younger sees things, that is obviously NOT the case, I guess.

Who would you believe: two Cup Series Champions :champion: or a smart-mouthed kid? :bones: Not to mention NASCAR's most popular driver, who has just jumped on board. Yes, HMS must truly be a terrible place for drivers. :cheese:

We all agree that he has talent but he’s yet to develop “racing smarts”. A little humility would help too. :arrows:

Jonesi
17th July 2007, 01:12
Busch, in what his competitors called the car to beat, was leading when Jeff Burton faked him into the pits with 33 laps left in the race for NASCAR Busch Series cars at Chicagoland Speedway.

I don't think it was him being "faked out" as much as he was told to pit, and he doesn't have the experience yet to know when to override the CC call like all the veterans do.

Galveston dunes
17th July 2007, 01:12
I agree Bush let his mouthpiece mess him around and Dale Jr really had nothing to do with him being let go. IMO he would be gone from HMS after this season either way.
The flip side IMO is Dale Jr is looking hard to get to where the other great drivers have been. Working with two celebrated champions could in no way hurt his image,marketability,nor his chances to improve and better his career.
In closing personally i'm not a fan of either Bush but I wish all of them sucess and happiness.Furthermore they all whine a little; some just do it louder.

muggle not
17th July 2007, 01:34
I know I’ve been gone a while so I may not have seen a report/reports stating the above. I thought the HMS teams openly shared information and notes so they could help each other (or get each other in trouble as per the recent COT breach, fine & suspension). But the way Busch the Younger sees things, that is obviously NOT the case, I guess.

Who would you believe: two Cup Series Champions or a smart-mouthed kid? Not to mention NASCAR's most popular driver, who has just jumped on board. Yes, HMS must truly be a terrible place for drivers.

We all agree that he has talent but he’s yet to develop “racing smarts”. A little humility would help too. :arrows:
Hi there Aussie. :wave:

Some things never change no matter how long you've been gone. There are still a few forum members that haven't been converted to HMS fans yet. Now me, I would 'never" say anything bad about Harvick or Kenseth. :andrea:

tstran17_88
17th July 2007, 02:06

There isn't really any reports. It's all message board talk and any written press you could find stating those things are from radical reporters trying to make a name.

It's really old news...It was speculated back in '96 that the reason Gary DeHart left Hendrick was because the #24 was getting all the top equipment. DeHart was the chief for the #5 of Terry LaBonte.

Also rumors abound the when Ray was still at Hendrick, he didn't play well with others (sharing technical data with the #5 & #25 teams).

Also...rumor was that Ricky Craven was told to get back in the seat or be fired by the big guy. (He had the same type of injury as Jerry Nadaeu and Ernie Irvan).

Mark in Oshawa
17th July 2007, 08:03
Hendrick is either a really good guy, or a really bad guy, and very few want to see the truth, that is he has his good points and bad.

Lets drop the fiction however that Busch is anything close to a good guy. He shoots his mouth off way to easily at the wrong time, just like big bro Kurt. He called the COT a pile of crap after winning the first COT race, which proves how much of a PR disaster he can be. He walked away from his team who were flogging away to put his car back into the race so he could get more points. He isn't a team player, he is a ME player.....so whatever you might think about Hendrick, remember his teams have won championships, and many in NASCAR love the man, including a lot of people who dont' get a pay check from him........where as it appears Kyle is a guy with no small amount of talent but no friends....

blakebeatty
17th July 2007, 17:53
:laugh: His name is usually the one that tops the list whenever someone complains about an owner favoring one driver over the others.

From who trstran? The members of this forum? There has never been a complaint amongst the drivers as long as i have been paying attention. And I pay pretty close attention.

I seem to remember Mears RAVING about the comaraderie, teamwork, and information sharing at Hendrick compared to Ganassi.

Aussie12
20th July 2007, 00:55
There isn't really any reports. It's all message board talk and any written press you could find stating those things are from radical reporters trying to make a name.

It's really old news...It was speculated back in '96 that the reason Gary DeHart left Hendrick was because the #24 was getting all the top equipment. DeHart was the chief for the #5 of Terry LaBonte.

Silly me, I thought the reports were from sometime in the last decade, or at least from a time that might have some bearing on the current coptetition. :p

Also rumors abound the when Ray was still at Hendrick, he didn't play well with others (sharing technical data with the #5 & #25 teams).

Duh. :p

For the record, I'm surpised that it's Busch that's leaving HMS and not Mears.

muggle not
20th July 2007, 01:06
LMAO, there were also rumors that Kenseth's team and Biffle's team didn't share info. Or that Kurt's team was miffed with Edward's team. All rumors though but prolly believable. :D

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 17:45
For the record, I'm surpised that it's Busch that's leaving HMS and not Mears.

I thought that too, but I guess Rick would rather have a guy representing him who isn't a PR disaster looking for a place to happen, and someone who doesn't respect his team at times either. Casey won as many races this year so far as Kyle has....so who is to say Casey is the worse driver?

jeffmr2
21st July 2007, 20:18
I too was stunned when i heard it was Kyle being sacked from hendrik rather tham Mears.I fairness to Mears he's not doing that bad a job there but he doesnt strike me a a driver who could one day become a nextel cup champion whereas Kyle certainly does.
Ok sometimes Kyles comments even make a fan of his like me cringe a little,but its far more enteraining hearing a driver speak his mind rather than just plug his sponser and toe the corporate line in interviews.Has casey actually ever said anything interesting?

harvick#1
21st July 2007, 21:29
Ok sometimes Kyles comments even make a fan of his like me cringe a little,but its far more enteraining hearing a driver speak his mind rather than just plug his sponser and toe the corporate line in interviews.Has casey actually ever said anything interesting?

here here, letting Kyle go is a huge mistake, they should've tried something like having an assistant be with him at all times so he doesn't say something stupid. Kyle is too talented to be let go into someone elses hands. Kyle I'm sure is venting out all his frustation out this year and will have a new attitude after the 07 season. he knows he has too show respect to the team and teammates next year or else he could get canned again.

Sparky1329
22nd July 2007, 02:59
here here, letting Kyle go is a huge mistake, they should've tried something like having an assistant be with him at all times so he doesn't say something stupid. Kyle is too talented to be let go into someone elses hands. Kyle I'm sure is venting out all his frustation out this year and will have a new attitude after the 07 season. he knows he has too show respect to the team and teammates next year or else he could get canned again.

Kyle could use a roll of duct tape. Not an assistant. Since he has shown no respect for anyone on his team what makes you think he'd acquire any anytime soon for his new team or teammates?

I'm sitting here watching Landon Cassill in the HMS #24 in the Busch race. He's only 18 but he looks like a pretty solid driver to me. Who needs a brat like Kyle Busch when you have this kind of talent in a young humble kid who's coming up through the ranks in your organization.

Jimmie48instyle
22nd July 2007, 03:42

Every driver has an assistant, they are appropriately titled "PR personnel...Public Relations" these individuals accompany the driver to every and all media interviews, obviously Kyle's mouth is larger than what the salary of the PR person is receiving. "Using duct tape to seal it shut" like someone else mentioned is a good idea, I suggest crazy glue because somehow I don't think duck tape is strong enough sealant. He fired or for a lack of a better word released his agent, because he wasn't pleased with the work he was doing. I suppose Kyle's going to blame his agent and all those innocent bystanders at the track for all his sponsor paid wrecked cars. Kyle dug his own toxic grave with his tongue, is the #5 pit crew expected to powder his behind during pit stops.

Nancy

harvick#1
22nd July 2007, 04:49
maybe he needs 5 assistants at all times. Kyle is only about 100 pounds, 5 can guys scare him in not talking

MD24
31st July 2007, 21:24
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=newton_david&id=2954501