PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Petty on TNT

e2mtt
15th July 2007, 23:23
TV broadcast thoughts... I really like Kyle Petty as an color commentator. He is so much better then some of his peers (like Rusty Wallace & Michael Waltrip) there is no comparison... I would even say I prefer him to Darrell Waltrip. (Although I do like DW fine.)

Very good move, whoever decided to hire him for the booth.

Cole_Trickle
15th July 2007, 23:57
I agree, he is great, I wouldn't be surprised if he got into it full-time when he stops driving.

MD24
16th July 2007, 01:33
Kyle Petty has been doing a great job in the booth

harvick#1
16th July 2007, 02:20
he is the best (racecar-driver past or present) commentator, outside of BP.

the other guys are way to biased, every week the Fox crew was saying Hendrick this, Hendrick that, and Rusty, well hes too busy paying the high bills at his shop from his son

RaceFanStan
16th July 2007, 02:52
Kyle Petty did a great job as an announcer. :D :up:

That being said, Rusty Wallace has 55 CUP wins to Kyle Petty's 8 CUP wins.
Rusty is also a CUP Champion & an IROC Champion, stats that can not be discredited. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Darrell Waltrip has 84 CUP wins & is a 3-time CUP Champion, DW's opinion has merit ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Kyle Petty has a future as an announcer but to say he is more qualified than Rusty & DW is ridiculous ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

muggle not
16th July 2007, 02:55

That being said, Rusty Wallace has 55 CUP wins to Kyle Petty's 8 CUP wins.
Rusty is also a CUP Champion & an IROC Champion, stats that can not be discredited. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Darrell Waltrip has 84 CUP wins & is a 3-time CUP Champion, DW's opinion has merit ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Kyle Petty has a future as an announcer but to say he is more qualified than Rusty & DW is ridiculous ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
Yeah, what RFS said.

harvick#1
16th July 2007, 02:56

driving and announcing are complete 180's from each other.

Kyle has enough exprience as Rusty and Darrell to know what a car will do and what goes wrong with a car

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 03:10
I think that Kyles analysis was spot on, but there is something about his voice/presentation that I don't care for. He started every line of commentary with the same lead in (Like 'let me tell you something) though I cannot remember what it was. It's like Larry Mac's "I'll tell you what..." Still both he and McReynolds are very entertaining.

e2mtt
16th July 2007, 03:17

Not more qualifed as a driver. just better as an anouncer. I can't believe ABC has kept Rusty announcing Indycar.

Aussie12
16th July 2007, 03:40
I keep waiting for Rusty to say that a driver has "a fast hot rod." :p

blakebeatty
16th July 2007, 04:26
All will agree that each of them is certainly better than DJ

Sparky1329
16th July 2007, 05:44
Kyle might not have stellar racing stats but he's heads above the silly twit Waltrip brothers in the broadcast booth.

JasonD
16th July 2007, 14:38

Merit yes but how can you take boogity boogity boogity seriously? :rolleyes:

Erki
16th July 2007, 14:46
Merit yes but how can you take boogity boogity boogity seriously? :rolleyes:

Merit yes, but why should we take everything so seriously at all? :)

JasonD
16th July 2007, 17:12
Merit yes, but why should we take everything so seriously at all? :)

True, but it makes the broadcast cheesy.

I really did enjoy Kyle when I watched a few weeks back, hes pretty good and seams quit natural. He'll explain something but wont end up contradicting himself 10 minutes later.

Mark in Oshawa
17th July 2007, 08:13
I like Kyle, he takes things a little more serious, without being over the top. I still miss BP though.....he was my favourite "color" guy in NASCAR. DW and Larry can grate on the nerves by the time May comes around, although I love them for about the first month. No, Kyle has the touch.

He didn't have to win championships or 84 races, he just has to know enough to translate what is going on out there week after week without boring us or insulting our intelligence. Rusty cant manage that, Mikey cant do it (shame, cuz Mikey can be funny) and Wally Dallenbach sorta needs help. No, Kyle Petty is the rookie of the year for me.....great start to his post racing career.....(just as long as he comments honestly about how the PE guys are doing out there).

blakebeatty
17th July 2007, 17:50
True, but it makes the broadcast cheesy.

i like the hype it generates, but I also love the way that one of the broadcasters (can't remember if it's ESPN or TNT) does the montage of the spotters saying "Green! Green! Green!" That's just cool.

JasonD
17th July 2007, 18:03
i like the hype it generates, but I also love the way that one of the broadcasters (can't remember if it's ESPN or TNT) does the montage of the spotters saying "Green! Green! Green!" That's just cool.

Ill take "Green Green Green" over "Boogity Boogity Boogity" any day.

Sparky1329
17th July 2007, 20:49
Ill take "Green Green Green" over "Boogity Boogity Boogity" any day.

Me too. In a heartbeat.

Hotlavaaaa
19th July 2007, 07:47
Kyle is a natural in the booth. Rusty on the other hand is awkward and it's obvious pretty much everything he says is read from a teleprompter. I'm really not looking forward to ESPN/ABC covering the Nextel Cup races. Another thing I don't like is when they send it down to the pit studio so the basketball player can ask a dumb question. If they want to tell us something just have one of the commentators tell us, no need for some guy to play dumb so Rusty or Andy Petree can look smart. And one more thing, Jerry Punch is a bag of wind, always adding drama to things with lines like, "Get ready, 43 of NASCAR Busch Series finest are about to blah blah blah. Just call the race, I don't need you to tell me how aamazing what I'm about to watch is gonna be. I can make that decision on my own. Sorry for the off topic rant, but as you can see I'm not a fan of the ESPN/ABC coverage.

blakebeatty
19th July 2007, 14:51
Me too. In a heartbeat.

The premise of boogity is good though. It generates hype, and sets the tone. NBC last year was the worst for this. They simply did nothing. Certainly nothing is necessary, but the hype is nice. The wording may be poor, I don't know, but something of that nature is a cool way to kick off the race.

Sparky1329
19th July 2007, 15:36
The premise of boogity is good though. It generates hype, and sets the tone. NBC last year was the worst for this. They simply did nothing. Certainly nothing is necessary, but the hype is nice. The wording may be poor, I don't know, but something of that nature is a cool way to kick off the race.

I like what ESPN has been doing with opening the scanner feed from the spotters at the green flag. Boogity was cute the first time DW said it. Not so much since.

blakebeatty
19th July 2007, 15:46
Yeah, I like that little spotter montage. Hopefully that will continue into the ABC broadcast.

dwboogityfan
24th July 2007, 12:07
I thought Kyle did a fantastic job in the booth. Its still strange to hear another voice rather than BP but he has adapted really well. He has such a vast knowledge about not only current NASCAR but also its history. I really enjoyed some of the interviews he did with legends in the pre-race shows.
He still isn't quite as good as DW in my opinion but thats because DW is a natural and has been doing it six years. I also feel that the FOX team are a stronger unit than TNT or ESPN. Mike Joy is the best play by play in the sport while Larry Mac and Jeff Hammond both offer good technical insights. Bill Weber unfortunately lets down TNT while I don't think Wally was as good this year.
Of course we all miss BP. When ever anyones says McMurray or "Cue the Duck" I'm sure we all wish it was BP still in the booth saying it.

BFK9INC
26th July 2007, 22:11
I like Kyle as an announcer. He has a lil more personality than Rusty.

Sparky1329
26th July 2007, 22:23
I like Kyle as an announcer. He has a lil more personality than Rusty.

I think he has a lot more but that's just my opinion.

blakebeatty
27th July 2007, 05:05
That's ironic, no? Rusty was pretty fiesty before he stepped out of the car.

Mike was the boring one, Kenny obviously the crazy one, and Rusty in the middle.

Mark in Oshawa
27th July 2007, 22:35
Boogity is getting old...but it is DW, and he is hard not to love, so we live with it. I like Kyle's input on the races and prefer it to Rusty. Rusty was trying too hard....