PDA

View Full Version : New York has anyone been?

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 10:40
hey guys

i am going to New York in march and i would like to know where are the best places to go?

please help me out

cheers

Eki
14th July 2007, 13:47
Central Park.

Tomi
14th July 2007, 14:31
I think central park also many good museums too, MoMA, Metropolitan museum of art and others, else i did find it quite boaring compaired to other big towns i have been too, maybe it's the lack of history (not many old very buildings)

Brown, Jon Brow
14th July 2007, 14:51
Empire State building

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 14:57
cool i might see if me and some mates might go there

gm99
14th July 2007, 14:57
Staten Island Ferry - you get a good view of the Southern part of Manhattan (where the WTC used to stand) and the Statue of Liberty. And best of all, it's free! (at least it used to be two years ago)

Malbec
14th July 2007, 15:03
Depending on how old you are some of the bars around New York are very good, as is the shopping with the pound/dollar rate as it is

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 15:04
cool :) man i have 231 days left til i go

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 15:09
well am 18 lol

Malbec
14th July 2007, 15:12
the drinking limit is 21 so bars might not be a great idea then....

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 15:14
awwww man not good

Fangio
14th July 2007, 15:16
Walk around the east Village, especially St. Marks pl., you won`t get bored. Eat at Ray`s pizza. Also when in midtown, catch a broadway show, try to get in to Letterman. Ride the subway, take the 7 train to Queens...it`s elevated, so you have views. And ride the Staten Is. ferry. While downtown go to the Seaport at pier 17 for food and drink.

lilmelvschilton
14th July 2007, 15:19
lol now there is an idea to go

Drew
14th July 2007, 17:37
I think you can still get served at bars, at least a friend of mine did.

http://www.virtualtourist.com is always a good look :)

jso1985
15th July 2007, 02:36
I think you can buy beer at bars in the US if you're under 21.

lilmelvschilton
15th July 2007, 13:51
well that is good then lol

XSARA
15th July 2007, 17:50
I think you can buy beer at bars in the US if you're under 21.

I'm pretty sure you can't. As far as I know, no place will sell you alcohol if you're below 21.

But there are many other interesting things to do in NYC so cheer up :)

Erki
15th July 2007, 18:22
Well, I think if one wants lots of cheap alcohol then there's no better place than Estonia, right, Jamie? ;) :p :

Eki
15th July 2007, 18:37
Well, I think if one wants lots of cheap alcohol then there's no better place than Estonia, right, Jamie? ;) :p :
If you don't mind losing your eyesight.

Mark
16th July 2007, 11:17
Open top bus ride :p

luvracin
16th July 2007, 14:42
A couple blocks north of the north-west corner of Central Park is the Cafe from Seinfeld - at least the "outside picture" inside it's just another cafe. Food's ok though.

Also, don't forget Times Square, expecially at night.

The UN tour is good too.

Paul Holroyd
16th July 2007, 21:21
Try the Pig and Whistle just of Time Square somwhere don't ask me just where I was pissed when I left and that was 10 years ago.

Mark in Oshawa
17th July 2007, 05:03
If you are into aircraft, the "Intrepid" Air and Space museum. Although the actual aircraft carrier is not there but in dry dock, they have all the planes and exhibits on a pier in the Hudson River. Also, the best comedy clubs in the world are in New York. IF you are into sports, get tickets for a Knicks game (basketball) or Rangers (NHL Hockey). You are young, so you may or may not appreciate Broadway, but there is always the chance to get tickets for the tapings of the David Letterman Late Show.

Also in March, the weather is dicey, but as it has been said before, Central Park is unreal, and if the weather sucks, you can see the UN buildings, and the Guggenheim Museum, check out the stock exchange, or just walk around. I imagine there is stuff in NYC you cant even fathom, and since I know of what I know from my Brother in law who just came from 5 days down there, I wont know, until I Go.

slinkster
17th July 2007, 10:59
CBGB's club is a must if you like decent music and live bands. :)

I want to go back to New York.. I wasn't there long enough to make the most of it. :(

lilmelvschilton
28th July 2007, 20:40
ok may try there

billiaml
29th July 2007, 05:12
little italy has some fantastic restaurants. assuming, of course, that you like italian food. keep in mind that the quality of the food is inverse to their grasp of the english language. if you have to point at the menu or someone else's table to tell them what you want, you're in for a :facelick:

theatre is also quite good. the concierge at the hotel where you're staying should be able to hook you up with some seats; plus there's a place -- i forget what it's called offhand -- where you can get tickets @ a discount.

and, when you're 21, go back & check out "the village." ;)

veeten
29th July 2007, 12:30
Hey! Where's our official NYC native and tourist guide, race aficionado. :s hock: :D

Need some tips here, my friend. :)

race aficionado
29th July 2007, 16:42
Hey! Where's our official NYC native and tourist guide, race aficionado. :s hock: :D

Need some tips here, my friend. :)

I've just been quietly enjoying the comments from others about my town.
this city of mine has a zillion tourists 365 days a year and no wonder they like to come here. It is a happening city with sooooo much to do.

My special recommendation is the Staten Island Ferry. It is the only free ride in town and it is a treat to be able to see the island of Manhattan as you go to and fro' on The Staten Island trip. It is a short trip where you don't only get to see a fantastic view of the island but you also go by Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty. Great pictures can be taken and if you time it right, go so you get the sunset as you are going to Staten Island, and on your trip back you will see the lights of Manhattan start to flicker on and will be witness to what is called the magic hour as the day turns to night.

Also, if you get in trouble and are corralled by the cops, tell them that you are friends of race aficionado, that and a subway card will get you a trip on our good ol' NYC subway.

:s mokin: