PDA

View Full Version : Skydive

AndySpeed
10th July 2007, 21:47
Has anyone done a skydive before? I'm looking into joining Lancaster Freefall when I go back to University and doing some skydives, provided that I can find the necessary money to do so. The first jump will be from 3500ft and is £160 with a static line, with subsequent jumps much cheaper!

It's definitely something that I am going to try, University provides me with a brilliant way to do it as well. I'm not really nervous about this sort of thing so feel that I have to give it a try, but hearing about someone who has done it before always helps.

Ian McC
10th July 2007, 22:00
The only way I am jumping out of a plane is if it is on fire and about to crash ;)

AndySpeed
10th July 2007, 22:06
The only way I am jumping out of a plane is if it is on fire and about to crash ;)

At least if I found myself in that situation then I'd be more in the know after having done skydives :p

Ian McC
10th July 2007, 22:09
At least if I found myself in that situation then I'd be more in the know after having done skydives :p

True enough my friend, however I feel that the life jacket under your seat makes a poor parachute :p :

Daniel
10th July 2007, 22:58
Been there, done that and would certainly do it again :)

Did it through school when I was 15 or 16 :) Certainly worth it Andy!

AndySpeed
11th July 2007, 12:17
Been there, done that and would certainly do it again :)

Did it through school when I was 15 or 16 :) Certainly worth it Andy!

15 or 16!? I would have thought that the law would have prevented you doing it at such an early age, or even insurance.

Out of interest where did you skydive?

Garry Walker
11th July 2007, 12:48
15 or 16!? I would have thought that the law would have prevented you doing it at such an early age, or even insurance.

He probably needed the signed permission of his parents.

I am wanting to do a skydive soon in the future too, good luck to anyone doing it! :)

Erki
12th July 2007, 20:16
It's most fun if you do it naked. ;) :uhoh:

Daniel
12th July 2007, 21:07
He probably needed the signed permission of his parents.

I am wanting to do a skydive soon in the future too, good luck to anyone doing it! :)
Be honest and say I can't remember but I did probably get my parents signature :)

raybak
12th July 2007, 22:29
Go for it, great fun. I've done over 20 jumps and it just gets better each time!!

Ray

AndySpeed
13th July 2007, 00:08
Go for it, great fun. I've done over 20 jumps and it just gets better each time!!

Ray

Provided I like it then I certainly will as further jumps are only £30! Then I could master the art of photography whilst falling at terminal velocity...

scrappy
13th July 2007, 00:33
Has anyone done a skydive before? I'm looking into joining Lancaster Freefall when I go back to University and doing some skydives, provided that I can find the necessary money to do so. The first jump will be from 3500ft and is £160 with a static line, with subsequent jumps much cheaper!

It's definitely something that I am going to try, University provides me with a brilliant way to do it as well. I'm not really nervous about this sort of thing so feel that I have to give it a try, but hearing about someone who has done it before always helps.

here are some links to help you out http://www.bkpc.co.uk/ this is where Lancs Uni Jump Really nice dropzone with a excellent instructors and the fast climbing fgodz porter :cool:
watch clips on your tube or http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php

Visit http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/forum/index.php and look under the Bcpa part for the uni discussions.

As well as Lancasters own website http://www.lancs.ac.uk/socs/freefall/

hope this helps you out if you need anything more Let me know.Once you go out that door things will never be the same again :D

remember to smile Cause your gonna be ****ting it but every one does

LeonBrooke
13th July 2007, 01:08

... :erm: , you're not going to post photos, are you? :uhoh:

AndySpeed
5th November 2007, 11:10
:D Have done my first 2 static line jumps now, and am aiming to do another 2 or 3 next weekend. A guy who trained with me has already progressed onto freefall in only a few weeks so that's my target too.

Any activity which you're smiling when you finish and you didn't even realise it has to be worth continuing :cool:

Magnus
5th November 2007, 19:48
I made a skydive in Queenstown NZ last winter from 4500 metres (used oxygene last during the last 500 metres). First I was terrified...and didn“t now which way was up, then it was ok. I am afraid of height aswell so I had extra value for money...
The guy who took me down seemed a bit bored though; he had been competing in skydiving formations and a lot of other variants, and was up to 11000 jumps or something like that. he had been skydiving for twenty years...

CCFanatic
5th November 2007, 20:19

A nude jump. Huh, never thougth of that. Have done five. Last one was a true free fall without a chute. That was fun. Jump out and fall then pray that the other guy who jumped with you can catch up and grap you before he has to pull the chute.

J4MIE
5th November 2007, 20:25
My dad broke his leg after he got into parachute jumping a few years ago... :s

airshifter
5th November 2007, 21:42
I've done a few static lines and two freefall jumps. Great fun and a unique thrill.

It did interest me, but overall the value for most people isn't nearly as great as a lot of other sports and activities. By the time you factor the drive to the jump site, the time in aircraft, etc to the time you actually spend out the door, the dollar per thrill ratio isn't as high.

Drew
5th November 2007, 21:57
Not that I'll ever do a jump, it must be expensive, right?

Magnus
6th November 2007, 08:40
A "one-off" is quite expensive, the cheapest way is to get a memebership in som club. I think I payed at least 110 euros on NZ.

AndySpeed
6th November 2007, 12:36
Not that I'll ever do a jump, it must be expensive, right?

I've paid £160 for training, first static line jump, BPA membership and Lancaster Freefall membership. Then for me it's £32 per jump ticket after that. So I'll do a few more jumps until I start to run out of money!

It's not cheap, and even those prices I mentioned are slightly subsidised by the university, but the adrenaline rush is great, and you don't know how it will feel until you've done it.