PDA

View Full Version : Favorite driver Nicknames

IMSAFAN1
10th July 2007, 19:23
what are your favorite nicknames for drivers past and present?

1) "Fidel" Castroneves

2) Eddie "under a" Cheever

3) " Lady" Will Power

4) Al " Hamster" JR.

5) Paul " The Trouble with" Tracy

6) Cart used to stand for " Can't Andretti remember things" after his shunt into a parked car at The Molson Indy years ago and hitting a safety vehicle
in detroit.

Easy Drifter
10th July 2007, 19:30
Danica 'The Princess' Patrick.

luvracin
10th July 2007, 20:16
what are your favorite nicknames for drivers past and present?

1) "Fidel" Castroneves

2) Eddie "under a" Cheever

3) " Lady" Will Power

4) Al " Hamster" JR.

5) Paul " The Trouble with" Tracy

6) Cart used to stand for " Can't Andretti remember things" after his shunt into a parked car at The Molson Indy years ago and hitting a safety vehicle
in detroit.

Are these nicknames YOU made up? I've certainly never heard them before.

CCFanatic
10th July 2007, 20:28
Are these nicknames YOU made up? I've certainly never heard them before.

Oh, the Eddie underaCheever one has been out their for ages.

Marco Parco

Danican't
Danicles

There are many nicknames for Danica.

IMSAFAN1
10th July 2007, 20:48
some of these i've made up...

here's another one

"Park It" Johnstone

Sam " I'm so Hornish"

Old favorites....Andrea de crasherez and of course Hunt the Shunt

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 22:28
A few of us Canadian timers had our own nicknames for different drivers.

Maybe not one name nick's...such as the ones you have above...but we had a few..

PT shouldn't be the "the trouble with"Tracy (named after a cheesy Canadian sitcom), we just called him "Thriller" (short for the "Thrill for West Hill", his local Toronto moniker as he was starting)
Helio of course was Spiderman
Dario "the Spaghetti Scot" Franchitti
"What's Da Matta" Da Matta was another good one...
and my favourite of course was "Donuts" Zanardi......we had more, but I cant remember half of them.

I think racing was more colourful in the early days, because about the only thing colourful about a lot of these guys is often their nicknames

gm99
10th July 2007, 22:52
"King Hiro" of course :D

Shinji Nakano used to be known as Chican-o in his F1 days

Eddie "Irv the Swerve" Irvine.

CCFanatic
10th July 2007, 22:55
A few of us Canadian timers had our own nicknames for different drivers.

Maybe not one name nick's...such as the ones you have above...but we had a few..

PT shouldn't be the "the trouble with"Tracy (named after a cheesy Canadian sitcom), we just called him "Thriller" (short for the "Thrill for West Hill", his local Toronto moniker as he was starting)
Helio of course was Spiderman
Dario "the Spaghetti Scot" Franchitti
"What's Da Matta" Da Matta was another good one...
and my favourite of course was "Donuts" Zanardi......we had more, but I cant remember half of them.

I think racing was more colourful in the early days, because about the only thing colourful about a lot of these guys is often their nicknames

Pinapple.

IMSAFAN1
10th July 2007, 23:16
Ok Mark from Oshawa....I agree with you in regards to Tracy...I put that in to see if anyone else from Canada would get " the trouble with tracy"

Chris R
11th July 2007, 11:49
Good ones I can remember:

Jim Hurtibuise - "Herk"
Johnny Rutherford - "Lone Star JR"
Alex Zanardi - "Pineapple" - can someobdy refresh my memory as to why???
Hiro Mastshudi - " 'king Hiro" -I heard that came from Emmo cursing at him on the radio and having the first sylable cut off because he didn't push the talk button before he started talking.....
George Snider - "Ziggy"
AJ Foyt - "Super Tex"
Fernando Alonso - "Fred" (as per David Hobbs I think)
As much as I dislike the NASCAR PR machine - Dale Earnhardt - "The Intimadator" was a pretty awesome nickname
Eddie "undera" Cheever is also a classic....

gm99
11th July 2007, 14:56
Good ones I can remember:
Alex Zanardi - "Pineapple" - can someobdy refresh my memory as to why???

Because he had (in fact still has) a pineapple painted on his helmet that was very visible in the on-board camera shots.

In his auto-biography, Alex explains that he sees it as a symbol of his stubborness.

After his accident in Germany, there were pineapples stickers on the cars of his competitors for the next race at Rockingham, if I remember correctly.

Scheckterfan54
11th July 2007, 16:02
Brian hertabeast

Komahawk
11th July 2007, 16:06
Someone here recently came up with Tomas "Wreckter" Scheckter. LOL!

Easy Drifter
11th July 2007, 18:40
The sprint car boys have a raft of nicknames.Below are some and see who can name the person.
The Dude or Catfish
The King
Slammin' Sammy
The Wild Child
Hurricane
That just a few.
Mod. You might want to move this.

CCFanatic
11th July 2007, 20:08
Because he had (in fact still has) a pineapple painted on his helmet that was very visible in the on-board camera shots.

In his auto-biography, Alex explains that he sees it as a symbol of his stubborness.

After his accident in Germany, there were pineapples stickers on the cars of his competitors for the next race at Rockingham, if I remember correctly.

There is picture in one edition of his book with him leaving the hospital with his Doctor hading him a pineapple.

CCFanatic
11th July 2007, 20:09
The sprint car boys have a raft of nicknames.Below are some and see who can name the person.
The Dude or Catfish
The King Steve Kinser
Slammin' Sammy Sammy Swindell
The Wild Child
Hurricane
That just a few.
Mod. You might want to move this.

Those names migth not be right.

pvtjoker
11th July 2007, 21:43
Here's a few...

'Smoke' --Tony Stewart
'Rico Suave'-- Nelson Phillipe
'Lone Star JR' - Johnny Rutherford
Tony 'The Nose' Kanaan
'The Moving Chicane' - Dale Coyne
'Rocket Rick' - Rick Mears
'The Flyin' Hawaiian' - Danny Ongais

Easy Drifter
11th July 2007, 21:59
Robert 'Doorknobs' Doornbos

CCFanatic
11th July 2007, 22:16
Here's a few...

'Smoke' --Tony Stewart
'Rico Suave'-- Nelson Phillipe
'Lone Star JR' - Johnny Rutherford
Tony 'The Nose' Kanaan
'The Moving Chicane' - Dale Coyne
'Rocket Rick' - Rick Mears
'The Flyin' Hawaiian' - Danny Ongais

Never heard the Rico Suave for Nelson.

The Mayor, The Hinch- For James Hinchcliffe.

philipbain
15th July 2007, 11:41
Some from F1:

James Hunt "The Shunt" - refers to his F3 days when he was involved in a lot of accidents

Nicki "The Rat" Lauda - I think this basically refers to the fact that he looked a bit rat faced, particulary in his youth!

Vittorio "The Monza Gorilla" Brambilla - So called because of an incident during a F3 test at Monza when he gave a colleague a lift back to the pits with them clinging to the car, forgot that he'd picked them up and went at full racing speed, his colleague ended up falling off the car and sliding into a gravel trap!

Scott "Motherf*cking" Speed - so called due to his foul language in front of stewards after the 2006 Australian GP. This display of colourful language resulted in a fine and did nothing to prevent him losing his 8th place finish due to passing under a yellow flag.

Skid Marx
15th July 2007, 16:06
IIRC, Zanardi was given the moniker "Pineapple" by Mo Nunn when he was at TCGR; Nunn named him so because he was sweet on the inside but had a prickly exterior.

Jag_Warrior
15th July 2007, 18:11
Jacques Villeneuve: "The Baby Faced Assassin"

Ianina "Spyder" Zanazzi

"Tora! Tora! Tora!" Takagi

I fear that if Milka doesn't give up on this bad idea, the best thing she'll remember about this foolish foray is her mounting list of nicknames: Milky Donuts, Milka Dunno (How To Drive), etc.

Yep, Eddie "Under-a-Cheever" is a classic from a long time ago. "Danican't" is also becoming a classic. With each passing race, with each passing season, she makes it so. I also find Princess Permapout to be a good one for her. Smiling don't cost nothing, Danica.

And my main man... the one, the only, Mr. Boombastic! Simply Fantastic! The Human Wreckin'Ball: Shigeaki "Shiggy" Hattori
Shiggy!!!

One with a pseudonym (not really a nickname): Lynn St. James. It seems one Sandra Eden was a fan of McMillan & Wife actress Susan Saint James and decided to change her name... :rolleyes: But I understand Danny Sullivan gave her several "nicknames" after she crashed into him during a race.

Skid Marx
16th July 2007, 02:23
And my main man... the one, the only, Mr. Boombastic! Simply Fantastic! The Human Wreckin'Ball: Shigeaki "Shiggy" Hattori
Shiggy!!!

A.k.a. "The Shigster." Also, Milka Duno, ak.a. Dual Airbags!

Jag_Warrior
16th July 2007, 03:08
A.k.a. "The Shigster." Also, Milka Duno, ak.a. Dual Airbags!

I can't help it, I always liked ol' Shigster. I mean, this guy couldn't walk from his transporter to the bathroom without tripping over something. And then he would show signs that he actually could be a decent racing driver. Then he would do something dumb on the track again and cancel that thought out pretty quickly. He just seemed sooo goofed up that he was likeable.

You may not be too far off the mark with Milka. I haven't seen her at the track in a year or so (and her "protective twins" weren't exactly small then), but according to a racing journalist who posts elsewhere, she got some "upgrades" for 2007. I don't know if she went bigger, smaller or just found some new models on the market. But she's such a genuinely nice person that I have a hard time really making fun of her. She's the type of woman who could hug you in front of your (otherwise jealous) wife/girlfriend, sign an autograph for your kid, shake your (otherwise jealous) wife/girlfriend's hand... and all would still be peaceful. She does truly suck as a formula car driver, but she's a difficult person to dislike (IMO). And to be clear, I'd say that even if she was as flat as Danican't (Oooh, that was mean!). :D