PDA

View Full Version : So did Nascar forget the use of Phones and Computers

harvick#1
6th July 2007, 04:28
http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/5304.html

who cares if they are no longer wlecome at the track while under suspension.

the two are still be be in constant comms with their respected teams with the teli and computer.

I still think Nascar should've forced the suspended CC's to come and have to sit in the Nascar Nextel Hauler all week long, under constant survalance so they can't talk to their teams. but thats too easy for Nascar to think of that

blakebeatty
6th July 2007, 04:51
They, as someone else said, need to institute a detention. Make the crew chief watch the race from a NASCAR suite at the track, or the track owner's suite, or something. Hell make him do some PR work and sit in a sponsor's suite or something.

tstran17_88
7th July 2007, 18:45
I’ve never seen a team struggle because of their crew chief being suspended, so it really doesn’t matter if he’s in contact with the team or not IMO. Exp: Robbie Reiser was back in NC working when Matt won at California.

I think Nascar’s latest revelation, the reason they are going to ban these guys from the track is because Tony Eury Jr was sitting on top of a motor home in New Hampshire with a lap top and a scanner on, most likely communicating with the #8 team during the race. They had a picture of him in this week’s issue of Nascar Scene. The only thing Tony was missing was a sandwich and a can of Bud.

Sparky1329
7th July 2007, 19:59
How on earth could they stop any crew chief from buying a ticket and attending a race even in a motorhome?

Mark in Oshawa
8th July 2007, 06:46
Harvick, I know you want to see Hendrick's two top crew chiefs in jail, but I think NASCAR will eventually use just stiffer points and cash penalties in the future. Knaus has proven that he can talk to the team from a distance and Jimmie can win, so I think NASCAR will eventually learn that it is better to just slap down the heavier fines and points penalties...

Old3Fan
9th July 2007, 16:17
How on earth could they stop any crew chief from buying a ticket and attending a race even in a motorhome?

Give them a $1000,000 fine if caught on the track, Problem solved. Even Hendrick couldn't afford that. PS: IMHO fines are too lenient on cheaters. 1st offense, even minor = $100,000. 2nd = $1,000,000. 3rd = You are out of Nascar FOREVER. Cheaters are losers and I have never cared for cheaters or losers. We don't need cheaters as they don't improve racing, they help destroy it.

Mark in Oshawa
9th July 2007, 17:29
Old 3 fan, they wont be THAT drastic, and NASCAR lore is full of "cheaters" so good luck with the harsh penalties. What NASCAR has always done is give the appearence of being stern, while not really changing things too much. Basically their punishments were more warnings than anything else, but as the racing has gotten tighter, and the business of the megateams moves on, they have realized they can push harder on the rules and the punishment now isn't really effecting the operation.

What NASCAR needs to do is yes, be harsher in their penalities, but they also know that big crew chiefs and the megateams are 400 lb.Gorillias, so they have to be careful in how they apply the sterner penalties. I think the management of NASCAR are perplexed on what to do at this point.

R. Mears
9th July 2007, 18:22
Give them a $1000,000 fine if caught on the track, Problem solved. Even Hendrick couldn't afford that. PS: IMHO fines are too lenient on cheaters. 1st offense, even minor = $100,000. 2nd = $1,000,000. 3rd = You are out of Nascar FOREVER. Cheaters are losers and I have never cared for cheaters or losers. We don't need cheaters as they don't improve racing, they help destroy it.
Richard Petty would have been booted from racing long before he became king then.
It's way too easy to tell who the Gordon haters are. :D

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 18:50
Or the Richard Petty Haters???

You couldn't compete in NASCAR with a Legal car for DECADES. They all did it. Gary Nelson, the infamous cheater of the 1970's was hired by NASCAR to reign all of it in and only then did NASCAR START to take cheating seriously.....

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 18:52
The Key was with NASCAR is don't make them look foolish, that is be cheating so obviously that everyone can see it. So running 100 laps on a tank of gas was foolish, running 1 or 2 more than anyone else, was fine. Showing up with a 7/8th's scale Chevelle like Smokey Yunick had for Junior Johnson once was over the top, shaving a fender here and there likely would be overlooked.....

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
11th July 2007, 10:16
I think the idea of making them sit in a suite at the track is by far the best thing ive heard. a least that way nascar knows guys they have suspended are not callin the shots during the race.

Sparky1329
11th July 2007, 17:38

I won't be holding my breath waiting for NASCAR to levy that kind of punishment.

blakebeatty
11th July 2007, 18:33
I think the idea of making them sit in a suite at the track is by far the best thing ive heard. a least that way nascar knows guys they have suspended are not callin the shots during the race.

And not only that, the could be providing NASCAR some kind of service. Like when Knaus is suspended, they could run a "buy a nextel phone and win a chance to watch the race with Chad Knaus" contest. This would then be beneficial to the sponsors.

Mark in Oshawa
13th July 2007, 08:07
Just cost the owner a million bucks a violation. Even Rick Hendrick will tell Chad to build legal cars after a few goes at that....

Aussie12
13th July 2007, 08:16

I like it. Complete communications blackout. But how about a debriefing at the end of each day? Should they be barred from communicating just during practice and the race or should they be allowed to talk to the driver and crew at the end of qualifying?

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
13th July 2007, 10:17
The fact is short of locking the guy up for the weekend you aint gonna stop him talking to the crew after practice and qualifying sessions. Cheatings bad but i dont think Chad Knaus or Steve Latarte deserve to be made someones prison bitch at weekends.

At least if they have to report to some sort of sin bin, we know that they are not making any strategic calls or changes to the cars during the race.