PDA

View Full Version : How do insurers know...

speedy king
5th July 2007, 22:03
Your yearly mileage?

When they ask for your estimated mileage they don't ask what it's currently at on your clock yet this can decided how much your premium will be :s

Brown, Jon Brow
6th July 2007, 09:17
I've wondered that :confused:

I think my mileage on my insurance is for about 6,000 yet I have already done over 1,000 in my 1st month :\

Hazell B
6th July 2007, 21:31
They don't know for sure. The MOT includes miles done now, but they have no access to that as far as I know. They just ask and believe in my experience.

I'm down for 8k miles each year and if questioned would say my partner does the other miles on his policy :p :

GridGirl
9th July 2007, 12:34
They dont and thats one of the reason why some insurance companies are advocating those little black boxes that track your mileage. But then you get the whole debate on whther its just a ploy to charge you more for driving at peak times etc.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/article.html?in_article_id=417668&in_page_id=4&ito=1565

Madders5
17th February 2011, 05:17
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is just a stupid ploy to charge innocent people more. Isn't that what all insurance (http://www.carinsurancequotes.org) companies do?!

Rollo
17th February 2011, 06:00
They don't. You could in fact lie to them all that you like.

The flip side of that is that if you actually have an accident, then because you lied to them they're probably going to void your claim entirely but the choice is up to you.

Daniel
17th February 2011, 13:23
They don't know for sure. The MOT includes miles done now, but they have no access to that as far as I know. They just ask and believe in my experience.

I'm down for 8k miles each year and if questioned would say my partner does the other miles on his policy :p :

Not to be funny to all the other people who say "they don't know" but Hazell is right in what she says and I'm sure there's probably something in your policy which states that if they ask, you must provide them with MOT certificates and so on to show how much mileage you've done.

They don't know, but if they want to know then I'm sure they could find out.

Mark
17th February 2011, 13:25
Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage. So there's records of it all over the place.

My car has never had an MOT.

Daniel
17th February 2011, 13:28
Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage. So there's records of it all over the place.

My car has never had an MOT.

Of course. Tbh I don't think it's a big problem. WHenever I've spoken to insurance companies about it, they say that they only want an approximate idea..... If you say you'll only fo 6k miles and end up doing 40k then I think they'd take issue.

Hazell B
17th February 2011, 14:45
Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage.

There are records, but how would your insurance company know where to look? They don't know which garage you use (and most garages aren't in national network of computers anyway) and there's no small print in my new schedule about me ever having to show them MOT's with the miles on even after a claim.

How did this old thread ever get earthed up?
Someone's got time on their hands :p :

GridGirl
17th February 2011, 14:47
My car insurance is due for renewal in the next two weeks. My renewal quote is 40% more than I paid last year but is still the second best quote I've got so far. The cheapest quote is only £30 cheaper than my renewal yet I've made no claims and have an extra years no claims bonus. I know insurance premiums are said to have increased by 30% in the last year so I suppose I should grumble too much but I still feel really peeved about the whole thing. *Rant over* I have to say that the increase in my premium doesn't in anyway tempt me to lie when I give my details over though. Insurance companies will do anything not to pay out.

Dave B
17th February 2011, 15:02
How did this old thread ever get earthed up?
Someone's got time on their hands :p :

A newish member with only 4 posts who linked - for some strange reason - to a comparison website. ;)

Hazell B
17th February 2011, 19:10
My renewal quote is 40% more than I paid last year ....

I hear that :(

We're paying for all the feckless idiots who claimed thousands for their own stupidity after falling off the roads in ice. Annoying.
Mine's not dropped a penny even after moving to a far cheaper vehicle and gaining maximum no claims. The annoying thing is that now it seems almost all companies aren't paying out anything if you cancel pre-paid insurance after changing cars, but won't insure your new car for anything like a reasonable sum. An example is my Range Rover's insurance had almost six months to run (and was all paid for up front) so they quoted me another four hundred quid on top for the cheaper Jag. We moved and got better insurance for just under the four hundred and bugger me, they've sent a letter saying it can't be refunded if I change cars again! So I'm stuck with that car unless I want to lose hundreds of pounds.
Serves me right for paying my bills, I guess :rolleyes:

markabilly
20th February 2011, 05:20
they have secret investigators who put spy GPS devices on your car, so they know not only how many miles, but how fast you drive, if you drive back and forth to work, how many bars (pubs) you stop at, how many times you swerve, and how many times you stop at the korean spa house to get a magic "touch" rub.... :eek: .......

and then there are the micophones in your car......