PDA

View Full Version : F1 coverage in the US

Viktory
2nd July 2007, 10:32
I am going to the US for three weeks tomorrow and want to know which channels show F1 for the coming two races. Any help appreciated.

veeten
2nd July 2007, 12:33
For the British GP that would be FOX, usually the local broadcast affiliate. For other races, that would be Speed Channel, which is on most Cable/Satellite broadcast schedules. The local TV broadcast guides are best to find what time the races will be shown.

Practice & Qually days are shown on Speed Channel.

Hope that helps. :)

Viktory
2nd July 2007, 12:59
great :up: thanks a lot! I just hope the house we're renting has those channels :)

veeten
2nd July 2007, 13:14
no problem. :)

L5->R5/CR
2nd July 2007, 19:08
great :up: thanks a lot! I just hope the house we're renting has those channels :)

Call the owner/manager of the house.

Shouldn't take more than a phone call (ok and you spending some more money) to make sure you have the channel.

blakebeatty
2nd July 2007, 21:06
I like the US F1 coverage. 9 times out of 10 we watch the races on Speed, but when TSN (a canadian Network) carries it, their broadcast is f-ing Terrible!

US TV also works different than ours, but i think that FOX is free-to-air down there, and Speed is Cable, so for sure you will get FOX, but speed, maybe not.

Easy Drifter
2nd July 2007, 22:03
Depending on where you are renting there may be a sports bar in the area that will be showing the races on big screen.

BobbyC
2nd July 2007, 23:00
The Fox broadcast for Silverstone is same-day tape (1 PM ET). That allows the local Fox affiliate to air public affairs ("Fox News Sunday") and in some cases, religious programming. As a rule, it is not welcome to interrupt stations' coverage of the public affairs shows or religious programming -- many stations' religious programming come with a contractual obligation to air them.

As a broadcast network (over-the-air), the British GP will air in all markets.

The Speed race at the 'Ring is live but it may not be available in your market. Some cable outlets (TWC-Charlotte) air it on basic but others (TWC-SC Midlands) has it as premium.

I wish Fox had control to let Jeff Hammond, Mike Joy, and Darrell Waltrip to watch the F1 race from pit lane or other points to watch the tactics of the drivers through the technical points. Those three guys would almost certainly go on pit lane and study the engineers for X's and O's, and leak them on a broadcast, since Hammond, a former saloon-car engineer, has quietly become one of the stars of US motorsport commentary.

truefan72
2nd July 2007, 23:38
The Fox broadcast for Silverstone is same-day tape (1 PM ET).
I wish Fox had control to let Jeff Hammond, Mike Joy, and Darrell Waltrip to watch the F1 race from pit lane or other points to watch the tactics of the drivers through the technical points. Those three guys would almost certainly go on pit lane and study the engineers for X's and O's, and leak them on a broadcast, since Hammond, a former saloon-car engineer, has quietly become one of the stars of US motorsport commentary.

Noooooooooooooooo Thank you

I don't want any of those NASCARE guys anywhere near F1 coverage.
I find their reporting uneccessary and often times reduntent. They are also well paid lackey's of NASCAR and rarerly raise any objection to anything that NASCAR does during the race. In fact the NASCAR folks could use about 6 less people covering the race. There is no need for a 2 man studio team and then a 3 man commentart team, followed by 2 pit lane engineer reporters, one look-out reporter and 3 roving "side line" reporters.

In fact, most US commentators ( with the outstanding exception of the Speed TV crew) are all more league reprters than independant minds, too often they sing the praises of the referees, teams and leagues, rather than mention or actually "comment " on situations that occur. Just watch the difference in Champ Cart, IRL and NASCAR coverage to the insightful and independantly manifested commentary by the Speed TV F1 guys.

blakebeatty
2nd July 2007, 23:57
The coverage of a NASCAR race (esp FOX) is second to none!

truefan72
4th July 2007, 01:37
The coverage of a NASCAR race (esp FOX) is second to none!

at least you are a hendricks guy. I can live with that.

go 24 :)

RacingViews
4th July 2007, 02:51
It's just a pity that when the races are on Fox they are not showing the grid walk before the race, and the coverage is delayed.

I wish they would just leave it alone on Speed where it gets "real" coverage, or at least let Speed do a pre-race and post-race show, after all they are all in the same network family.

Roamy
4th July 2007, 06:46
Depending on where you are renting there may be a sports bar in the area that will be showing the races on big screen.

not at freaking 6:00 am

call_me_andrew
4th July 2007, 21:51
It's just a pity that when the races are on Fox they are not showing the grid walk before the race, and the coverage is delayed.

They showed part of the grid walk before the French GP.

I'd rather watch the races tape delayed anyway. I'm not getting up at 6AM just to see how my fantasy drivers are doing.

truefan72
5th July 2007, 13:55
They showed part of the grid walk before the French GP.

I'd rather watch the races tape delayed anyway. I'm not getting up at 6AM just to see how my fantasy drivers are doing.

well I watch F1 for the race, not to check up on my Fantast stats. My joy is derived from all the commotion, and happenings; which I would rather see live. The fantasy F1 thing is a very distant reason to watch theraces. In fact, by Sunday I don't even know what I picked. I'ts only aftewrwards that I check the results.

call_me_andrew
5th July 2007, 21:51
I watch for the technical aspect, but I get more of that from pactise and qualifying. The race has just become a formality.