PDA

View Full Version : French GP thread

ioan
29th June 2007, 09:50
Bonjour to everyone!

French GP week end has started with the first free practice session.

Rain and thunderstorm is forecast for this week end's race day.

Dave B
29th June 2007, 10:17
Dry so far, but temperatures lower than previous races at 19 degrees

It's the Ferraris setting the pace in these early stages.

ioan
29th June 2007, 10:20
Sutil is having some kind of problems, he only complete 3 laps after 1 hour and 10 minutes.

ioan
29th June 2007, 10:45
Ferrari more than 0.7 seconds ahead of the rest.
Not bad for a start. :up:

Hawkmoon
29th June 2007, 10:48
Ferraris 0.7s up on the field. I hope that's a sign of things to come rather than the usual Friday nonsense.

Somebody needs to wipe that bloody smug look of Ron's face. :mad: :D

555-04Q2
29th June 2007, 11:11
Somebody needs to wipe that bloody smug look of Ron's face. :mad: :D

Impossible!!!

Hawkmoon
29th June 2007, 12:02
Impossible!!!

Nah, a Ferrari 1-2 is a sure-fire cure for a serious case Smug-Ron-itis. :D

pino
29th June 2007, 12:56
Bonjour to everyone!

French GP week end has started with the first free practice session.

Rain and thunderstorm is forecast for this week end's race day.

....and Jarno faster than Ralf, again :p :

ioan
29th June 2007, 13:11
....and Jarno faster than Ralf, again :p :

I've found Jarno's pace at the beginning of the session very promising.
Let's hope they get a decent result.

herra47
29th June 2007, 14:27
Ferrari dominates!

1. Massa Ferrari 1.15,453
2. Räikkönen Ferrari + 0,035
3. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 0,430
4. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 0,499

ioan
29th June 2007, 14:40
Renault and BMW preparing for a 1 stop strategy?!

Flat.tyres
29th June 2007, 14:44
the Ferraris are showing some good pace early on. this is normally a good indication for race pace seeing as they are both quite close together.

maccas are a little slower than expected but Lewis set a solid marker which looks promising.

we shall see. practice is practice but ferrari are looking strong.

ArrowsFA1
29th June 2007, 14:53
Signs were that McLaren were beginning to get out front on their own. If Ferrari are back on the pace then all the better :s mokin:

Wilderness
29th June 2007, 15:00
Renault and BMW preparing for a 1 stop strategy?!
They would be out of their minds to try that, considering 1) the weather forecast and 2) the very short box entrance and exit that allowed MS pull off the 4 stop strategy in 04. More than likely sandbagging.

Flat.tyres
29th June 2007, 15:10
just heard from a friend that chance of rain at the circuit on sunday <10% at present which normally means dry

expecting it to be overcast at times but should be dry.

andreag
29th June 2007, 16:30
But the chance of rain for the race is now of a 70% (it was a 60% yesterday).

OutRun
29th June 2007, 17:13
According to Honda, their recent top secret testing session has resulted in a small step forward...... :o hplease: We'll see what they can figure out before qualifying but it doesn't look very promising at all.

Flat.tyres
29th June 2007, 17:29

im not a weather expert but was just passing on what i was told.

PSfan
29th June 2007, 18:45
Vettel in for Heidfeld?

Nick Heidfeld is in real trouble with back problems and it looks like he may miss the French Grand Prix. A decision must be made this evening so that Sebastian Vettel can take over tomorrow if it is necessary.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19342.html

jens
29th June 2007, 18:56
Toro Rossos 3rd and 5th, it would be fun to see them that high in the race. :p :

stevie_gerrard
29th June 2007, 19:13
very surprised with the toro rosso pace, even with ferrari engines, but otherwise, not too many surprises. Good to see Lewis not having it all his own way :D

VkmSpouge
29th June 2007, 19:46
I wonder if Toro Rosso will show that kind of pace tomorrow or Sunday?

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 01:01
Nah, a Ferrari 1-2 is a sure-fire cure for a serious case Smug-Ron-itis. :D

It will aslo bugger up my pickems :(

Hawkmoon
30th June 2007, 01:41
It will aslo bugger up my pickems :(

A small price to pay Valve, to ensure that Ron's championship losing streak extends to 8 years. I'm sure you'd agree. :D

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 03:08
A small price to pay Valve, to ensure that Ron's championship losing streak extends to 8 years. I'm sure you'd agree. :D

NO! :(

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 03:20
Hre's an intresting link concerning prancing red horses: http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~150396.htm

osg
30th June 2007, 03:57
First 2 FP's are interesting to say the least. Quali should be a random mix tonight, going on practice so far.........

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 04:44
First 2 FP's are interesting to say the least. Quali should be a random mix tonight, going on practice so far.........

I have read that there quite a difference in the performance between the two tyres supplied, and this I think will prevent most drivers from opting for a one pit stop strategy which would require a long stint on the slower tyre.
Practice, also, amy not be a true guide for quals; While it would please me greatly to see Speed qualify on the second row, somehow I think this may be beyond the Torros whatevers.

I suspect some of the drivers who had slower practice times were actually trying to find the optimum setup for the slower tyre.

F1boat
30th June 2007, 07:11
I think that the McLaren is faster than it shows, but maybe Ferrari have fixed what Stepney have sabotaged ;)

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 10:19
I think that the McLaren is faster than it shows, but maybe Ferrari have fixed what Stepney have sabotaged ;)
Saw film clip of the McLaren running off the track - they weren't do so good.

truefan72
30th June 2007, 11:04
wow! first massa breaks the track record then Hamilton goes into the 1:14's!!!!
what a morning session

truefan72
30th June 2007, 11:06
what these modern f1 cars can do along witha great driver is simply amazing
200 less HP than the previous car with the track record and the 2007 McClaren and ferrari both break it

truefan72
30th June 2007, 11:14
what a morning session,

McClaren and more specifically LH were laying in the weeds springina phenominal time to serve notice. That kid's Amazing!

I'm not sure why Alonso only did 1 fast lap, saving the engine? Laying low too? his idea, the team's orders? can't wait for Quali's I'm sure Ferrari are stunned simply stunned! Massa tried to put a valiant effort to get into the 1:14's too, but the damage is done. Whatever mental and mechanical advantage that they though they had just evaporated

Ian McC
30th June 2007, 13:05
Well it is just about to start, should be interesting

veeten
30th June 2007, 13:30
well, LH puts the top time for the round up, 1:14.805

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 13:39
Looks like DC has serious problems

Ian McC
30th June 2007, 13:57
So has Alonso now!

donKey jote
30th June 2007, 13:58
bugger :p :

good job I'll be missing the race tomorrow anyway :rolleyes:

hugh_lee
30th June 2007, 13:59
now that, fernando, is what is called bad luck. not the other ones you claim you've had

Valve Bounce
30th June 2007, 13:59
My Pickems are buggered :(

donKey jote
30th June 2007, 14:00
Rain is his only chance now for a decent finish. :(
Expect massive overtaking tomorrow :D

Ian McC
30th June 2007, 14:05
Maybe a 10 place penalty?

donKey jote
30th June 2007, 14:15
Haug says it looks like gearbox, so maybe not ...

Did you brits all cheer ;) :p :D

Dave B
30th June 2007, 14:22
Yes!

donKey jote
30th June 2007, 15:01
Aren't you supposed to cheer for the underdog ? :p :

veeten
30th June 2007, 15:09
yes, but that's when you are the underdog. Outside of that,... :p :

Bad day at the 'office' for Alonso. :(

F1MAN2007
30th June 2007, 15:39
Interesting show tomorrow!!!!

Hope the double WC doesn't make stupid mistake like in Canada.

jens
30th June 2007, 15:39
I saw only the last 10 minutes of qualifying as I was at work before that.

Well, Renault seems to continue finding their competitiveness. Fisichella is a slight surprise, because for some reason he has never managed to shine on that particular circuit. I don't know, what his problems have been at Magny-Cours, but this time he seems to be doing fine as well as Heikki.

Ralf did an OK job this time too. Probably that's why Toyota trusted him for French GP as he has often been quick there - has won a race and also finished strong 4th last year.

Sato's penalty didn't cost him too much - it looks like Super Aguri's moments of greatness are gradually becoming over this year.

What was wrong with Red Bulls? DC had a gearbox failure, but Webber was also nowhere?!

And interesting, what can Alonso achieve? If he starts from 10th, then a strong point position, if not podium, should be possible. If he starts last... then I think points are still possible. And all that without rain and SC-s! Remember, Barrichello spun on Lap1 in 2003 and he dropped back to last position, but nonetheless finished 7th. But if it rains tomorrow and/or SC comes out... anything can happen!

N. Jones
30th June 2007, 15:59
only a 20% chance of rain...

EarWig
30th June 2007, 16:12
That has to be the worst TV coverage ever for F1 - absolutely pathetic

Whats wrong with the French don`t they like motorsport!!

We tune in to watch cars qualifying not a trip round pit lane with all and sundry and slow cars touring round the track

Roll on Silverstone

Dave B
30th June 2007, 17:49
That was FOM coverage on the world feed, not a local French broadcaster. I hope the director gets a kickup before the race tomorrow :s

andreag
30th June 2007, 18:31
only a 20% chance of rain...
I don't know where you see a 20%; This link says 80%:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/FRXX0164?begHour=8&begDay=182

ojciec dyrektor
30th June 2007, 18:38
Kubica will start from 4th! It's his first chance to finish in top 3 this season. I hope tomorrow will be raining. :)

Robinho
30th June 2007, 18:43
looks seriously close at the top, nothing much splitting McLaren and Ferrari, and BMW and Renault both seem to be a little closer to the ultimate pace.

of the rest i note that whilst Honda's improvements are only slight they are in the mix with Williams, Toyota and Red Bull and seem to have pulled well clear of Super Aguri. also that Button "wiped the floor" with Barichello, beating him very "easily" ;)

looking forward to a good race, normally some passing into the hairpin, plus with the top 3 close on pace and Alonso hopefully carving through the field it should be interesting, plus the threat of rain always shakes things up

ChickenMcNugget
30th June 2007, 21:10
It should be interesting as a race, of course, but all I do know for sure is that Massa's pole is excellent news for my Pickems hopes. Although I'd never wish a back problem upon Heidfeld for the sake of seeing him finish 'only' 8th as I tipped him. I hope he excells tomorrow.

:p As some have said... roll on tomorrow!

janneppi
1st July 2007, 15:10
Race was rather good(for an F1 race ;) ) Alonso kept pushing but Heidi and Fisi fought the best they could.

And what happened with Kovalainen? Trulli? :)

MrPonx
1st July 2007, 15:14
they both crashed.. different incedents, but almost at the same time

VkmSpouge
1st July 2007, 16:48
Ferrari clearly on top today. Raikkonen put in a couple of quick laps to beat Felipe Massa.
Hamilton did okay but not on the same pace as Ferrari. I have to question why McLaren stuck him on a strange 3 stop strategy.
Kubica drove well on his return and I think his team mate must have had constantly battling with Alonso.
Honda looked to have improved by a fair bit and Jenson Button got a well deserved point.

Ian McC
1st July 2007, 19:17
A few people deserve a mention for all the wrong reasons, Trulli and Davidson for the first lap incidents and Albers for not knowing what the lollipop is for :rolleyes:

veeten
1st July 2007, 19:30
... and Albers for not knowing what the lollipop is for :rolleyes:

Ah, the continuing adventures of Spyker F1. :laugh: :p :

jso1985
1st July 2007, 20:02
:laugh:

I doubt they will ever get something right, unless they change the drivers.

well done Kimi :up:

osg
1st July 2007, 20:26
I've been a long time Raikkonen fan........ and releif is the only description that i can offer right now............ well done Kimi, outstanding drive.

Lets hope this is the turning point in his season.

ioan
1st July 2007, 21:16
What a boring race, luckily we had Fernando dicing with Nick and Giancarlo.
Glad they won't go back to Magny Cours next year.

ShiftingGears
2nd July 2007, 01:28
I tried staying awake but I nodded off 15 laps from the end :p : Great win from Kimi.

Hawkmoon
2nd July 2007, 01:48
Albers for not knowing what the lollipop is for :rolleyes:

That was quite a brain fart by Albers. He drove through the lollipop. Normally when this happens the lollipop guy moves too soon but not this time. Maybe Albers is dyslexic. He read "1st Gear" as "Go".

I wonder how long Spyker will keep him around just to have a Dutch driver in the team?

Shifter
2nd July 2007, 05:34
Boring? I don't know, I enjoyed it!

Ranger
2nd July 2007, 06:17
I thought it was more interesting than most races so far this year. (Make of that what you will)

It is also the first time this season that the winner has not started from the front row, or lead by turn 2, and its also the first time this season that someone has taken the effective race lead after turn 2 as well.

It may have been Magny-Bores for some this year but it seemed to be much better than most other races this season.

wmcot
2nd July 2007, 07:10
...Albers for not knowing what the lollipop is for :rolleyes:

I think Albers was trying a new strategy by eliminating pitstops entirely by keeping the fuel flowing as the car goes around the circuit! :) (Kind of the Dutch version of mid-air refuelling) Next time they'll need a longer hose! ;)

Flat.tyres
2nd July 2007, 11:41
just heard from a friend that chance of rain at the circuit on sunday <10% at present which normally means dry

expecting it to be overcast at times but should be dry.

commercially availible weather stations, not the people analysing on track for the specific 2 hours. ;)