PDA

View Full Version : Big E Fans and Little E Fans? How do you feel about JR. with Hendrick?

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2007, 20:04
I was catching up on the volumes of columns and news from when I was out on the road, trying to see how Jr.'s defection from DEI to Hendrick was accepted. Not much has been said so far about the reaction from the fans. Much has been said about Jr. landing in a place that will give him a car to win with, and much has been said about him and Teresa not getting along, but it brings up the question: If you are a fan of Dale Jr. because you were fan of his dad, or even if you were not, you likely see Hendricks, and Gordon in particular as the "anti-christ". Or do you?

Many people HATE Jeff Gordon. I dislike him only mildly. I don't think he is bad guy, just a little guy with no personality that is discernable. He is ....pleasent. He drives the wheels off a race car, but hey, so do a few people. Jimmie Johnson I don't like really either. I don't hate him, but I wont cheer for him NOR Jeff for I just cant get into it. I respect them as guys with skill behind the wheel, but I cheer for Jr. because he is flawed, because he is a great guy, because he has a wild side to him and while he drove for DEI, I saw him as the underdog.

I like Tony Stewart for a lot of the same reasons as Jr. because of his personality flaws. Both are great guys who are often misunderstood. Now Jr. is going to the team that I have spent a lot of time NOT liking. I think Hendrick isn't a bad man, and he has suffered a lot but I dislike the way his team has in a sense ruined what the sport used to be. From what I have read however, he is a family man, he and Jr. have a connection going right back to Ralph Earnhardt being a friend of Hendrick so I guess I am happy for Jr. Not sure how much I will enjoy cheering for him now tho.

Now most of you are not conflicted about any of this. You like who you like and once you dislike someone, that is the end of it. Those who HATE the 24 and 48 likely cheer for the 8. Well, Jr. is sleeping with the enemy after this season, so let the bile out.....

I personally, am on the fence. I still have my number 8 diecast on my desk, and the number 8 towel in the bathroom, and that wont change, but it just wont be the same. It is like finding out that your favourite star with the hometown team that cant afford the payroll to beat the Yankee's just SIGNED with the Yankees. It just aint right ya know?

BenRoethig
26th June 2007, 20:52
If said I wasn't disappointed, I'd be lying. I'm used to thinking of Hendrick as the enemy. However, they probably are the best team out there at the moment and it is his best chance for a championship, equipment wise. I don't think there is room for three championship caliber guys on that team though. I think Johnson and Gordon will eventually push him to leave or one or both of them will. I would have preferred him going to RCR, but I respect that he doesn't want to live in his father's shadow.

Old3Fan
26th June 2007, 21:04
I would have preferred him going to RCR, but I respect that he doesn't want to live in his father's shadow.

I agree with you and if you want to be a winner than you try to go to the best team and that would Hendricks. I hope Jr. finds success with his new team.

Sparky1329
26th June 2007, 21:24
I'll always be a Big E fan but I'm not much of a Dale Jr fan. That said I like the kid and think he's has grown up to be a fine young man. I think it was a smart move for him to go to HMS since he wants to win. IMHO he has a much better chance of doing that at HMS than he did at DEI. He's the guy who has to be happy about where he works. If he's happy I'm happy for him.

If he'd like to take his number with him I do wish Dragon Lady would ask NASCAR to reassign the #8 to HMS. It means nothing to her without him and it's a special number to him.

call_me_andrew
26th June 2007, 21:59
If he'd like to take his number with him I do wish Dragon Lady would ask NASCAR to reassign the #8 to HMS. It means nothing to her without him and it's a special number to him.

No, it's not a special number to him. It may have been special to Dale Sr., but not Jr. It's just a number.

Old3Fan
26th June 2007, 22:33
I think if Hendricks wants the #8 fo Jr. then Nascar will issue it to them next year. Its better for Nascar with Jr. in a red #8 car than for DEI to have someone in an any color #8 car.

BenRoethig
26th June 2007, 22:37
5 has been with Hendrick since the beginning and the 25 was Tim Richmond's number. Unless Johnson is going to switch, I don't want to see the 8 over at Hendrick.

muggle not
26th June 2007, 23:17
No, it's not a special number to him. It may have been special to Dale Sr., but not Jr. It's just a number.
Disagree. The #8 is certainly a special number to jr. That is why he has asked Hendricks to pursue bringing the number to HMS.

I would like to see a trade. the number 5 for the number 8.

Initially, I was not a fan of Jr as I thought he was a spoiled young kid. i remember in the early days when he threw a party and his crew even did not show up. Nowadays I am a big fan of Jr as he has grown and also developed into a great talent. I am also a fan of Jeff Gordon and am glad to see them together. I was never a fan of Dale, Sr although my other half was.

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2007, 23:40
Junior without the Eight is sorta like Steak without onions or mushrooms. I am used to seeing that 8 and I identify it with Jr. Of course, there is a silly Hut Stricklin fan out there I am sure who misses him in the Eight.

I didn't cheer for Mark Martin any less in the Daytona 500 this year because he was in a Chevy rather than the number 6 Ford. I guess I will get used to it, and I may have to like Rick Hendrick a little....but I wont be cheering for the 24 and 48. A man has to draw the line somewheres....

harvick#1
26th June 2007, 23:56
I hate jooyner. espcially now when he signed with the ultimate cheat

MD24
27th June 2007, 00:47
I hate jooyner. espcially now when he signed with the ultimate cheat

RCR fan calling HMS cheats :rolleyes:

I think that your car model glue is getting to you

Alexamateo
27th June 2007, 00:53
I was an "anybody but Earnhardt" fan with Dale Sr., but am a huge Dale Jr. fan. He has such an everyman quality about him that the masses (including me) find appealing. I think he will do well. Look at it this way, if he's top 5-6 in wins, laps led etc over the past 5 years with DEI, imagine how good he could be with an organization like Hendrick.

I hope he gets to keep the eight, it's as good for NASCAR as it is for Jr. to have that car number.

I never was a Hendrick fan up until recently, but certain things in my life have caused me to change opinions recently. I now work for the best company that I have ever worked for, it's an incredible dynamic organization. Anyway, they have us read books on various aspects of business. A couple of the books I read were Built to Last, and Good to Great, by Jim Collins. After reading those books, and looking at the type of organization Hendrick has, it's hard to pull against them. It's excellence in action. The only reason I rooted against them was because they were successful. (It's also why I pulled against Dale Sr.)

So in all I am really glad Jr.'s going to Hendrick (not to mention, everybody in a family business should work for someone non-family at least for a little while.) I think it bodes well for him, and wish him all the best.

ShadowCar
27th June 2007, 01:13
I'm a Little E fan...never a Senior fan so I don't have any of that baggage, thank God! I have never liked HMS but I am happy because Junior just seems so happy. He seems for the first time in ages to be just enjoying life without carrying the weight of DEI around. Good for him. Of course there's no guarantees he'll win a championship but he's got a better chance there than anywhere.

BTW, Off topic - I read where Eury Sr. is leaving DEI for JRM. He was very quiet when Junior announced he was leaving so I guess we now know why. Supposed to announce it tomorrow.

muggle not
27th June 2007, 02:22
I was an "anybody but Earnhardt" fan with Dale Sr., but am a huge Dale Jr. fan. He has such an everyman quality about him that the masses (including me) find appealing. I think he will do well. Look at it this way, if he's top 5-6 in wins, laps led etc over the past 5 years with DEI, imagine how good he could be with an organization like Hendrick.

I hope he gets to keep the eight, it's as good for NASCAR as it is for Jr. to have that car number.

I never was a Hendrick fan up until recently, but certain things in my life have caused me to change opinions recently. I now work for the best company that I have ever worked for, it's an incredible dynamic organization. Anyway, they have us read books on various aspects of business. A couple of the books I read were Built to Last, and Good to Great, by Jim Collins. After reading those books, and looking at the type of organization Hendrick has, it's hard to pull against them. It's excellence in action. The only reason I rooted against them was because they were successful. (It's also why I pulled against Dale Sr.)

So in all I am really glad Jr.'s going to Hendrick (not to mention, everybody in a family business should work for someone non-family at least for a little while.) I think it bodes well for him, and wish him all the best.
Good post. :up:

harvick#1
27th June 2007, 03:18
RCR fan calling HMS cheats :rolleyes:

I think that your car model glue is getting to you

its no longer just the glue :p : its all the paint thinner, paints, putty.

But after 05 I really got tired of seeing jooyner in 10 billion commercials and his results started the overhype that makes Danica look good

Sparky1329
27th June 2007, 04:03

Do tell. Did you ask him or are you a mind reader in your spare time?

RaceFanStan
27th June 2007, 04:53
Sometimes there is more to it than just being a number .....

In 1975, Dale Earnhardt Sr started his 1st Cup race, he used the #8.
When Dale Jr came to Cup racing in 1999, he used the #8 & has ever since.
Teresa should step aside & let Dale Jr have the #8 because he has made it HIS !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

When a NASCAR fan sees an 8, he/she will immediately think of Dale Jr.

BTW, in the press meeting that announced Dale Jr was going to Hendrick he said he would like to have the #8.

call_me_andrew
27th June 2007, 07:27
Sometimes there is more to it than just being a number .....

In 1975, Dale Earnhardt Sr started his 1st Cup race, he used the #8.
When Dale Jr came to Cup racing in 1999, he used the #8 & has ever since.
Teresa should step aside & let Dale Jr have the #8 because he has made it HIS !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

When a NASCAR fan sees an 8, he/she will immediately think of Dale Jr.

BTW, in the press meeting that announced Dale Jr was going to Hendrick he said he would like to have the #8.

If memory serves, Ralph Earnhardt drove #8. Dale Sr. started out with K-2 before going to some doubble didgit number, then just 2.

Mark in Oshawa
27th June 2007, 16:24
Jr. wants the 8 because it was Ralph's number, but I suspect he aint getting it....

HE will move on...

muggle not
27th June 2007, 16:30
It would almost be a crime if Kyle Busch ends up in the #8 car. I still think that there should be a #5 car trade for the #8 car number. Nascar should have no problem with a trade like that.

Sparky1329
27th June 2007, 17:53
It would almost be a crime if Kyle Busch ends up in the #8 car. I still think that there should be a #5 car trade for the #8 car number. Nascar should have no problem with a trade like that.

If both parties are agreeable that would be the perfect solution.

muggle not
27th June 2007, 22:51
Claire B. Lang reported on XM Radio Tuesday that Tony Eury Sr. [former #8 and #15 crew chief] has resigned from Dale Earnhardt Inc.'s research and development team and will be named Director of Competition at JR Motorsports today.(XM Radio)(6-27-2007)

oldhippie
27th June 2007, 23:51
i dont care what number jr uses just so it aint the 3

ShadowCar
28th June 2007, 00:28
i dont care what number jr uses just so it aint the 3

Not much chance of that...at least for the immediate future. :)