PDA

View Full Version : How do we put the Great back in to Britain?

Spoonbender
26th June 2007, 10:35
All the patting on the backs of the polititions this last week, going on about all the promises they've kept and how lovley everything is, sloblocks.

Debt is at it's highset figure, no-one but the rich can afford a house or petrol for that matter, crime is big business and the kids are out of control.

Any suggestions how we can get back a bit of pride, back on the straight and narrow??

One of the best I've heard is this. When you and your partner want to have a baby, you have to apply for a licence to reproduce. o get this licence, you have to prove that you have more than 1 brain cell and that you can actually afford to have a child. This way it would stop all these chavs, leaving school early to have a baby so they can get on the council house waiting list early. It would also break the cycle, because these kids who are born of the chavs, will be the next lot who are queing up outside the DSS wanting money for dope and white lightning AND mobile top-ups.

any thoughts?

Tomi
26th June 2007, 10:39
Sorry I have forgot, what was the comedians name who did put the great there in first place?

Brown, Jon Brow
26th June 2007, 10:42
Why does everyone think the country is ruined? :confused:

It wasn't any better in the past.

Over the past 100 years if we weren't at war we were worried by the threat of Nuclear War. Or if it was not war then we had miners strikes, 3 day weeks and electricity shortages etc.

Citizens of Great Britain, we have never had it so good.

BM
26th June 2007, 10:43
Why does everyone think the country is ruined? :confused:

It wasn't any better in the past.

Over the past 100 years if we weren't at war we were worried by the threat of Nuclear War. Or if it was not war then we had miners strikes, 3 day weeks and electricity shortages etc.

Citizens of Great Britain, we have never had it so good.

The next threat is Europe...

Brown, Jon Brow
26th June 2007, 10:56
The next threat is Europe...

The next threat is the SNP.....

Daniel
26th June 2007, 11:34
All the patting on the backs of the polititions this last week, going on about all the promises they've kept and how lovley everything is, sloblocks.

Debt is at it's highset figure, no-one but the rich can afford a house or petrol for that matter, crime is big business and the kids are out of control.

Any suggestions how we can get back a bit of pride, back on the straight and narrow??

One of the best I've heard is this. When you and your partner want to have a baby, you have to apply for a licence to reproduce. o get this licence, you have to prove that you have more than 1 brain cell and that you can actually afford to have a child. This way it would stop all these chavs, leaving school early to have a baby so they can get on the council house waiting list early. It would also break the cycle, because these kids who are born of the chavs, will be the next lot who are queing up outside the DSS wanting money for dope and white lightning AND mobile top-ups.

any thoughts?

What a load of cobblers.

My girlfriend is paying off a house and is able to afford to put petrol in her car and she's not "rich"

My suggestion is to send people like yourself off to a foreign country (Spain perhaps?) and let people who are trying to live life without constant whinging about how things are so bad when they could be a lot lot lot worse.
All the things you've described are happening in other countries as well so get used to it or just quit whinging.

Mark
26th June 2007, 11:47
What a load of cobblers.

My girlfriend is paying off a house and is able to afford to put petrol in her car and she's not "rich"

My suggestion is to send people like yourself off to a foreign country (Spain perhaps?) and let people who are trying to live life without constant whinging about how things are so bad when they could be a lot lot lot worse.
All the things you've described are happening in other countries as well so get used to it or just quit whinging.

Used to be not so long ago, someone could go out to and get an ordinary job and from their wages be able to pay a mortgage and be able to support a wife and kids and pay their taxes. That's something which is pretty much impossible now.

I suggest you open your eyes to the reality of the situation.

Daniel
26th June 2007, 11:56
Used to be not so long ago, someone could go out to and get an ordinary job and from their wages be able to pay a mortgage and be able to support a wife and kids and pay their taxes. That's something which is pretty much impossible now.

I suggest you open your eyes to the reality of the situation.

I've got experience in the industry and know of people on not very good wages at all being able to get a house. In many countries in the world owning a house is seen as a big luxury and the vast majority of people rent and have no problem with it. The problem is that firstly and I admit there are not enough houses, BTL's are becoming more and more popular and people want a house that is bigger than what they need just to get their foot on the property ladder so therefore think they are unable to afford a house. The amount of people I used to speak to who wanted a 3 bedroom house just because they have a wife and child is highly amusing. A 2 bedroom house would do them just fine and by the time that little turd is 3 they can use the equity in their house to put down a good deposit on a bigger house. The amount of people who can't "afford" a house yet have owned new cars is something that can be looked at?

Is owning your own house a right or a privilege? Having a roof over your head is a right and the vast majority of people in this country CAN afford housing.

Mark
26th June 2007, 12:11
5 years ago, maybe, even 2 years ago, you could realistically say, shall I push myself for a 3 bedroom house or settle for a 2 bed, no longer. Prices are so high that even the smallest of houses is beyond the reach of people unless both are on good wages.

You have to pay £150,000 for a house, any house, around here. That's 6x a 'normal' salary.

Daniel
26th June 2007, 12:41
Okily dokily

As I sit in front of a mortgage sourcing system all day I accept this challenge. Not sure if this link will work but it's worth a go.

Lets try the property in Fenham which is a 2 bed flat for 104,950 as I checked and it's fairly centralish in Newcastle so no excuse of having to commute for 3 hours each day for you.

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresults.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&areaid=7455&prt=2&abeds=1&bedrooms=02&vw=0&so=0&res=1&sp=1&p=20

Lets assume you've got a 5% deposit at least (You should have at least 5% deposit if you want a decent mortgage deal)

Putting those details into the sourcing system we work with and searching for fixed rate mortgages you can get an Alliance & Leicester Prime mortgage for 5.24% with a montly payment of £606 which is less than my monthly increase in wages if I was on the average UK wage which I bloody well am not on! :mark:

How is this not affordable? Given that I survive very comfortably on a much lower wage and have a car, buy food, buy luxury items and just live fairly comfortably?

Metallica say "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" whereas I say "My lifestyle determines the style and standard of housing I'm able to live in"

My apologies. I just read the description for that property and it's located above a commecrial premises but the one for 5k more isn't and would probably only add about 60 quid to the cost of your mortgage each month which for me would still be doable if I had that increase in wages.

Spoonbender
26th June 2007, 13:33
What a load of cobblers.

My girlfriend is paying off a house and is able to afford to put petrol in her car and she's not "rich" (No, but Daddy is)

OK Daniel, sorry to wind you up with my 'constant whinging' I'm glad that everything is going OK for you, and your girlfriend :)

Dave B
26th June 2007, 13:33
The doom and gloom of the original post reads like a Daily Mail editorial.

Contrary to what you might read in that esteemed publication ("esteemed" in this instance meaning "crap"), the county isn't going to hell in a handcart, immigration isn't ruining everything, and we're not about to become part of the United States of Europe.

Britain IS great. Our only problem is that we're afraid of saying it.

Of course we have our problems and you'd be a fool to think that everything's ticketty-boo, but rather than concentrate on the negatives we should hold our heads up high and have some pride.

Daniel
26th June 2007, 14:03

Contrary to what you might read in that esteemed publication ("esteemed" in this instance meaning "crap"), the county isn't going to hell in a handcart, immigration isn't ruining everything, and we're not about to become part of the United States of Europe.

Of course we have our problems and you'd be a fool to think that everything's ticketty-boo, but rather than concentrate on the negatives we should hold our heads up high and have some pride.

:up:

I can honestly say hand on heart that I prefer living here rather than Australia which is where lots of Brits seem to aspire to live. Sure things are more expensive but I also get paid 33% on top of my wage in Australia so it evens out.

Other than that it's no different to Australia really..... the weather is different and the people different but it's very subjective as to whether you consider it to be better or worse. The only thing I don't like about the UK is the huuuuuge youth problem.

millencolin
26th June 2007, 14:12
the great shouldnt of been there to begin with... simple

Flat.tyres
26th June 2007, 14:21
well, I've always thought that to get the great back into Britain, you just put it before a bit like this.

Great Britain

see, easy. job done. Now, do I get a prize or something?

jso1985
26th June 2007, 16:49
ever been to a third world country?

you guys are far from being in an "awful" country

Caroline
26th June 2007, 18:21
I was always under the impression that the word great referred to the size of Britain in comparison to Brittany. As they both derive from the same word it was added to stop confusion. All this happened a loooong time ago and has probably been lost in the midsts of time. Nothing to do with being fantastic etc etc etc.......

I could of course be wrong.

Donney
26th June 2007, 19:24
I am afraid you are not. Not that I'm saying Great Britain is not that great or anything.... :p

Drew
26th June 2007, 19:35
Apart from the homes situation, the rest is a load of old tosh. Sure there are problems, but there always have been problems and always will be problems. But everytime I've heard of a problem, it's always been from the media and not from first hand experience...

Just wait until tomorrow when we become a dictatorship ;) (well, being ruled by an unelected leader is enough to be called so in my book :p : )

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2007, 20:18
Great Britain is like every other western nation. It thinks the world is going to hell in a handbasket, but the reality is you are just overtaxed and being led by politicians who wont listen. You are right.....it does suck, until you talk to someone who doesn't have what we have. JSO is in Bolivia. Rudy Tamaz is in Eastern Europe where they just got freedom. Ask either one of those two about how bad Britain is. Ask someone in Mexico...

Churchill said it best ( the greatest Brit of all time IMO ) in that he said "Democracy is a terrible system, but it is better than all the other options." I think I paraphrased him slightly.....but you get the essence.

Nothing wrong with Great Britain if you live there. Try being a tourist and showing up there and understanding the prices. Canada is cheap, cheap, cheap by comparsion, but alas, our wages reflect it too. So we can fly to London for 150 pounds RETURN on some flights, and then drop damn near 100pounds just eating dinner......

Ian McC
26th June 2007, 22:27
Tow it out to sea and put down just off the coast of Florida, the weather will be better and Disney is just down the road :D

fandango
26th June 2007, 22:31
I think the main problem with the idea of Britain not being Great anymore comes from the fact that the country used to be the world's number 1 power, and isn't anymore. That takes getting used to - you can't be on top all the time. Look at the Greeks if you're feeling bad about things. Better yet, look at Iraq, where civilisation started. Things aren't too civilised there these days...

I reckon Britain needs to stop moaning, stop worrying about the Germans (and Europe), get some exercise, eat better, and win some big sports thing.

Drew
26th June 2007, 22:34
Tow it out to sea and put down just off the coast of Florida, the weather will be better and Disney is just down the road :D

I recommend this only outside of hurricane season, otherwise we'll be royally and truely screwed

Drew
26th June 2007, 22:41
Churchill said it best ( the greatest Brit of all time IMO ) in that he said "Democracy is a terrible system, but it is better than all the other options." I think I paraphrased him slightly.....but you get the essence.

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2007, 23:27
Well Drew, I thank you for finding the right quote. I found the paraphrasing that has been used before. Your finding the true words just emphasizes the great orator and mind that was Winston S. Churchill.

Drew
26th June 2007, 23:57
Well Drew, I thank you for finding the right quote. I found the paraphrasing that has been used before. Your finding the true words just emphasizes the great orator and mind that was Winston S. Churchill.

I coincidentally stumbled upon a page of quotes by Churchill, certainly a clever and funny man :)

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Sir_Winston_Churchill/

BDunnell
26th June 2007, 23:57

I couldn't agree more. To listen to some people, and to read some of the papers, you would believe that we should all be going around in a state of abject fear and misery. This is not the case. I am absolutely fine, thank you very much, and so are the vast majority of people I know, none of whom live in ivory towers isolated from reality. There are irritations, even real annoyances, but this is the same everywhere.

I am not the most traditionally patriotic British person around — indeed, I hope at some point to be able to move abroad, as this is a long-held ambition of sorts, but this is in no way down to any deep-seated failings in the UK of today. In fact, there have been some major improvements in recent times. On a personal level, I would cite one — the improved rights given to gay people. This is unpopular with your average moron who reckons that "nothing ever gets done for the ordinary folk", but, frankly, sod them. It's a genuine step forward. Also, seeing a documentary on TV tonight about Polish children integrating into a British school (and, in case some of the anti-immigration lot are wondering, yes, they all had physical room to move around) was a delightful sight that also made me feel good about things. Not complacent, just warm.

Mark in Oshawa
27th June 2007, 00:29
I am not the most traditionally patriotic British person around — indeed, I hope at some point to be able to move abroad, as this is a long-held ambition of sorts, but this is in no way down to any deep-seated failings in the UK of today. .

Just where will you move to? Your views would fit in here....maybe more than my views fit in my own country...

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 00:33
Just where will you move to? Your views would fit in here....maybe more than my views fit in my own country...

Germany, I would hope.

Hondo
27th June 2007, 04:30
Cut back on the social systems and the government. No economy can continue to support, cradle to the grave, a growing, non-productive, non-contributing population.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 09:24
Cut back on the social systems and the government. No economy can continue to support, cradle to the grave, a growing, non-productive, non-contributing population.

America certainly isn't a model on how to run social systems. The US has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialised nation.

I agree the government give out too many benefits to the non-productive but our Economy has grown pretty much every year since 1992.

Britain is still great!

Rudy Tamasz
27th June 2007, 12:52
My opinion may be out of place here, but the general opinion in Eastern Europe (among well educated people and qualified professionals, too) is that it doesn't get much better than in GB. I mean you've got how many years of uninterrupted economic growth, set trends for world fashion, won a war fair and square etc. etc. etc. Are we all that wrong?

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 13:05
Not all that wrong at all. I think the best way of summing it up is that Britain generally does pretty well.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 13:07
Not all that wrong at all. I think the best way of summing it up is that Britain generally does pretty well.

....and better than it did do a few decades ago. :up:

Daniel
27th June 2007, 13:29
My opinion may be out of place here, but the general opinion in Eastern Europe (among well educated people and qualified professionals, too) is that it doesn't get much better than in GB. I mean you've got how many years of uninterrupted economic growth, set trends for world fashion, won a war fair and square etc. etc. etc. Are we all that wrong?

All the average idiot cares about is that his credit rating is **** because he bought an expensive car, a big screen TV, a house that's too big for him, his wife and a child and then thought he could get away with not paying for it.

Garry Walker
27th June 2007, 16:53
Considering muhammad is the most popular name in UK now, it seems that putting "great" back in Great Britain is something distant and unreachable now.

Garry Walker
27th June 2007, 17:01
I coincidentally stumbled upon a page of quotes by Churchill, certainly a clever and funny man :)

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Sir_Winston_Churchill/

Heres something even better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=belzgoxfayo

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 17:29
Considering muhammad is the most popular name in UK now, it seems that putting "great" back in Great Britain is something distant and unreachable now.

Complete rubbish on every count. I think the majority of previous posts prove this.

Drew
27th June 2007, 18:05

Christ almighty, I don't even know what to say to that, I don't even believe that's true. Being a 'mongrel' nation made us what we are today. Vikings, Romans, Anglo Saxons and Normans weren't exactly British when they came here.

Daniel
27th June 2007, 18:33
You twit. It's people like you that are what's wrong with Britain. I'm from Australia. Have you got a problem with me because I'm a foreigner?

Fool.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 21:55

What are you on about you complete cretin? :confused:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/specials/babiesnames_boys.asp

Daniel
27th June 2007, 22:16

Crikey Jon! There are so many people called Daniel. This country's full of Australians and I don't like it.

Spoonbender
27th June 2007, 22:22
When I started this thread, I was leaning toward the problem being that we're too soft. If you can't be arsed to work, you don't have to, because the huge amount of tax that I (and you guys) pay out just goes to support their lazy lifestyle. My experience of this in my street is certainly not from people who have come to this country to settle. They do the same as me, get up in the morning and go to work. It's the spongers who just do nothing but reproduce, and like I said the cycle continues.

Daniel
27th June 2007, 22:25
When I started this thread, I was leaning toward the problem being that we're too soft. If you can't be arsed to work, you don't have to, because the huge amount of tax that I (and you guys) pay out just goes to support their lazy lifestyle. My experience of this in my street is certainly not from people who have come to this country to settle. They do the same as me, get up in the morning and go to work. It's the spongers who just do nothing but reproduce, and like I said the cycle continues.
Very much agreed. The thing is racist idiots prefer to pick up on the odd Muslim or Polish family who come over here and do what lazy Brits do.

I think the welfare state should actually find a way to stop this and I don't mean they should pay a group of people to think up ridiculously ineffective ideas which just end up costing more. There should be some tough love and dealt out to people who don't want to do the right thing and work for their money regardless of what country they've come from.

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 22:26

Well, I don't see myself being utterly penniless as a result, and I don't earn a huge amount, so I really don't feel it's a problem of epic proportions. Hence my general satisfaction.

Daniel
27th June 2007, 22:30
Well, I don't see myself being utterly penniless as a result, and I don't earn a huge amount, so I really don't feel it's a problem of epic proportions. Hence my general satisfaction.
But if people started pulling their weight and you had more money in your pocket it would be better right?

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 22:33
I just think that there are too many benefits handed out.

I was hearing a proposal the other day for working mothers getting a credit for them to pay for a nanny to look after their kids, when they are at work. I just feel this is wrong!! :mad:

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 22:33
But if people started pulling their weight and you had more money in your pocket it would be better right?

I think the amount of money in question would be so small as to not be worth getting worked up about.

RaikkonenRules
27th June 2007, 22:42

Mohammed is 22nd :D

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 22:44
Mohammed is 22nd :D

Jonathan isn't even in the top 100 any more :mad:

What a rubbish country!!

Drew
27th June 2007, 22:49
Crikey Jon! There are so many people called Daniel. This country's full of Australians and I don't like it.

Shame there aren't more South Africans, I like them :p :

RaikkonenRules
27th June 2007, 22:49
Here's the list for girls

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/specials/babiesnames_girls.asp

My least favourite girls name ever is in 2nd :rolleyes:

Drew
27th June 2007, 23:28
This is what makes Britain Great:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6246006.stm

All I learnt at school, was how to bend not break the rules :p :

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 12:00

dam, you beat me to it :D

you should see some of the rubbish this boy comes out with in the F1 forum :)

if I ever have a girl, I want to call her Mohamed. That way i can cut it to Mo and hope she meets a Jo to Marry.

Oh, the fun we will have on the wedding day ;)

Garry Walker
28th June 2007, 12:42
You twit. It's people like you that are what's wrong with Britain. I'm from Australia. Have you got a problem with me because I'm a foreigner?

Fool.
I have no problem with you, because
1)Australian "immigrants" usually dont demand special treatment and benefits
2)Nor are they religious fanatics.

My problem is with the big bunch of immigrants, mostly muslims for example, who come to UK and start demanding special treatment and if they arent given it, they cry racism and of course the politically correct morons give in then. That is a problem not only in UK, but rather in the whole world.

If things continue as they are now, then in 20 years it wont be europe, but rather eurabia where we are living and the non-muslims would be stupid to expect nice treatment then.

Muhammad is Britain's No2 boy's name

Helen Nugent and Nadia Menuhin
June 06, 2007

MUHAMMAD is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No1 by next year, a study by The Times has found.
The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Scholars said that the name’s rise up the league table was driven partly by the growing number of young Muslims having families, coupled with the desire to name their child in honour of the Prophet.

Muhammad Anwar, Professor of Ethnic Relations at Britain's Warwick University, said: “Muslim parents like to have something that shows a link with their religion or with the Prophet.”

Although the official names register places the spelling Mohammed at No23, an analysis of the top 3000 names provided by the Office for National Statistics puts Muhammad at No2 once the 14 spellings are taken into account.

If its popularity continues – it rose by 12 per cent last year – the name will take the top spot by the end of this year. It first entered the Top 30 in 2000.

The spelling Muhammad, like all transliterations, comes from replacing the Arabic script with what is deemed its closest Latin equivalent. There are many versions in Britain, depending on where the family are from and variations in pronounciation.

Muhammad, which means “one who is praiseworthy”, is often given to boys as an honorary prefix and is followed by the name by which they are commonly known. It is regularly cited as the most common name in the world, though there is no concrete evidence.

Mufti Abdul Barkatullah, a former imam at the Finchley mosque in northwest London, said: “Parents who name their son Muhammad believe that the name has an effect on their personality and future characteristics. They are saying that this boy will be of good character.

“Some people may not really understand the history of the Prophet Muhammad and the name but they still want the association so they can be recognised as one of his followers.

“In Arab countries, the name Muhammad is said when you don’t know the name of someone. On the sub-continent, it is different: Muhammad can be used either before or after another name.

“When you get to the UK, it is essentially about translating the sound of the Arabic into English. A non-Arab Muslim would have the name ending in -ed while an Arab Muslim would adopt the -ad ending.”

Overall, Muslims account for 3 per cent of the British population, about 1.5 million people. However, the Muslim birthrate is roughly three times higher than the non-Muslim one.

Statistics from the ONS show that Muslim households are larger than those headed by someone of another religion.

In 2001, the average size of a Muslim household was 3.8 people while a third contained more than five people.

The leading name for girls born to Muslim parents in 2006 was Aisha, in 110th place.

Its meaning is “wife of the Prophet” or “life”.

How do you spell that?

The different spellings of Muhammad in 2006 and the number of occurrences

Mohammed 2833

Muhammad 1422

Mohammad 920

Muhammed 358

Mohamed 354

Mohamad 29

Mahammed 18

Mohammod 13

Mahamed 12

Muhammod 9

Muhamad 7

Mohmmed 6

Mohamud 5

Mohammud 5

Daniel
28th June 2007, 12:56
Absolute rubbish....

It's not uncommon for families who have only just immigrated to a western country to have a higher than average birthrate for the first generation or two. It all ends up evening out in the end. In Australia in the 50's everyone was worried that Australia was going to be full of Italians and it isn't now.

Garry Walker
28th June 2007, 13:03
Absolute rubbish....

It's not uncommon for families who have only just immigrated to a western country to have a higher than average birthrate for the first generation or two. It all ends up evening out in the end. In Australia in the 50's everyone was worried that Australia was going to be full of Italians and it isn't now.
The problem is that they just keep coming though.
I also dont believe Italians ever made up such a percentage of population as muslims do in UK, nor do they threaten the cultural values of any western states.

But you keep believe there is no problem and all is shiny and good. Lets see what you think in 15-20 years.

BDunnell
28th June 2007, 13:11

My problem is with the big bunch of immigrants, mostly muslims for example, who come to UK and start demanding special treatment and if they arent given it, they cry racism and of course the politically correct morons give in then. That is a problem not only in UK, but rather in the whole world.

If things continue as they are now, then in 20 years it wont be europe, but rather eurabia where we are living and the non-muslims would be stupid to expect nice treatment then.

Complete, unadulterated nonsense.

This reinforces my view that the reason people don't have a problem with, for instance, Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans coming to the UK in large numbers is because most of them are white and speak English. Therefore, they are seen as being 'more like us', less 'threatening' and more 'acceptable'. Never mind the fact that some Muslims may integrate into British society just as well or better; never mind the fact that people from the aforementioned countries, or indeed from anywhere, are just as likely to commit crimes or claim benefits; and so on.

To tar the majority of Muslims (and, I presume, you're referring to other groups as well) with the same brush, as being extremists who come here to cheat the system, is really quite offensive. Neither, I'd imagine, is it backed up by any statistics.

BDunnell
28th June 2007, 13:12
Edit — double post.

BDunnell
28th June 2007, 13:14
The problem is that they just keep coming though.
I also dont believe Italians ever made up such a percentage of population as muslims do in UK, nor do they threaten the cultural values of any western states.

But you keep believe there is no problem and all is shiny and good. Lets see what you think in 15-20 years.

What 'cultural values'? I don't feel that my cultural values are being threatened, because my idea of culture isn't homogenous, white and English.

Still, if you want to feel threatened every time you see someone you think might be a Muslim walking towards you, so be it.

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 13:45

Muhammad is Britain's No2 boy's name

reply regarding this in F1

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293891&postcount=64

pino
28th June 2007, 14:00
reply regarding this in F1

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293891&postcount=64

I've just posted a warning for both, go and read it !

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 14:20
I've just posted a warning for both, go and read it !

have done, read the response.

first Nanny state, now Nanny forum :rolleyes:

Daniel
28th June 2007, 15:10
There are rules here.... It's up to you to respect them.

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 15:28
There are rules here.... It's up to you to respect them.

sorry, I had no idea you were a moderator and were responsible for commenting on a reply to a post directed at me by a official moderator.

thanks for putting me right.

As for Garys post where he changed the original claim from most popular to 2nd most popular, because the moderator, in his infinate wisdom, decided to erase my response, I will answer it again here.

Garys mildly rascist post where he points out that Mohamed (or whatever the spelling is) the 2nd most popular name is based on a Newspaper article that refers to inconclusive findings based on illthought out methods and non conclusive findings.

No specific, referenceable data was supplied by the article apart from a claim it came from the NSO.

the parameters of the excercise have not been defined and as far as I can see, no attempt to use a representitive amount of data has been adopted rather it has focused on one specific subset of data, ie a specific name spelt in whatever manner, and applied the results to data that has not undergone any consideration.

in short, it has concluded that something exists in fact where no effort to establish the true picture has been attempted and then the newspapers have used this to conjure interest which narrow minded fools have jumped on as proof indeed that were being islamasized. (yes, I did make that word up)

Now, if Pino the censor, and Daniel the self appointed forum guardian are happy with that post, perhaps it can remain as it addresses the thread (and unwanted interuptions)

stevie_gerrard
28th June 2007, 19:44
the way we put Great back into Great Britain is stop listening to George Bush's advice. :p :

donKey jote
28th June 2007, 21:27

That is a problem not only in UK, but rather in the whole world.

A problem in the whole world, or in the whole wide non-Western European world ? :rolleyes:

Garry you remind me of some work colleagues I have here in Germany, or in general of people who feel they have the right to whinge about Ausländer (foreigners) in my presence...
When I calmly remind them that I'm also an Auslander, they say "oh but of course we don't mean YOU " :dozey:
duh I know exactly who you both mean :p :

Try finding figures on how many "immigrants" demand special treatment versus how many "immigrants" work bloody hard supporting the "local layabouts". They might be more meaningful than whether Mahmut or Joshua is number 2 in some birth registry list.

Put the Great back into Britain: let the good in, and ship the bad out (to Australia if you can afford it, to the Costa del Plonk if you can't), where they can whinge about the "locals" and how everything is better back "home". ;)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

BDunnell
28th June 2007, 21:56
Garry you remind me of some work colleagues I have here in Germany, or in general of people who feel they have the right to whinge about Ausländer (foreigners) in my presence...
When I calmly remind them that I'm also an Auslander, they say "oh but of course we don't mean YOU " :dozey:
duh I know exactly who you both mean :p :

Try finding figures on how many "immigrants" demand special treatment versus how many "immigrants" work bloody hard supporting the "local layabouts". They might be more meaningful than whether Mahmut or Joshua is number 2 in some birth registry list.

Put the Great back into Britain: let the good in, and ship the bad out (to Australia if you can afford it, to the Costa del Plonk if you can't), where they can whinge about the "locals" and how everything is better back "home". ;)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Exactly. :up:

As I said, the key differences between threatening and non-threatening immigrants seem to be language and skin colour. You never hear people in the UK moaning about our British culture being eroded by Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans, many of whom are very different in cultural terms to Britons, as indeed are mainland Europeans.