PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie vs Jeff

leopard
26th June 2007, 08:36
For some reasons I have no coverage on watching todays Nascar. Jimmie Johnson I remembered well a dominant driver few seasons backward.

Having checked the stats that Jeff Gordon is now leading, Denni Hamlin, and Jimmie Johnson in the third. Which driver actually has bigger name in the States between the two Chevrolets, regardless that Jeff is now leading.

Denni Hamlin was obvious from different car and out of comparison.

thanks

leopard
26th June 2007, 09:16
sorry, Denni is chevrolet driver also, it was being altered with Ford men Matt Kenseth and Carl Edwards

tstran17_88
26th June 2007, 18:53
Jimmie Johnson won the Nextel Cup last season, so I’d say his team is still at the top of their game.

Who’s leading the points now is arbitrary as long as a driver is within the top 12 in points. After race 26, the top 12 will be all repositioned based on how many wins they have.

BenRoethig
26th June 2007, 19:12
I don't think Jeff has had his mind on racing the last couple of years. With the new wife and baby and the 48 team having reached the level it has, I think we're seeing the Jeff Gordon who dominated NASCAR back.

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2007, 19:47
Jimmie has been the more dominent the last few years, but this year, Jeff seems to be back on track. Was he distracted before? No, I think his team was brought back to earth when Ray Evernham left, and he left such a void that the team never was going to be the super team that it was until they had a leader to get the people he needed behind Jeff. Robbie Loomis did a good job, but Steve Letarte has that team humming now. The fact they work out of the same building with Chad Knaus and the 48 I think has also helped. It is no accident they are the dominent teams this year, they have the most resources and use them wisely. Jeff is still the better of the two, even if I find him the most vanilla of personalities. His idea of a good time is actually thinking about pouring Rum in his Pepsi, not actually doing it....

leopard
27th June 2007, 06:48
well, They seem have the same popularity and together with another top 12 point collectors have equal opportunity to be the best driver of Nascar this season.

blakebeatty
27th June 2007, 15:11
who would pick against either of these two guys to win the cup?

muggle not
27th June 2007, 16:20
I think that Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are the 2 best drivers in Nascar. That doesn't mean though that either will win the Championship with the way the Championship is set up with a Chase system. Under the old system I believe that Jeff would be the hands down favorite to win it this year.

Jeff IMO is the better driver between him and Jimmy and also the more popular of the two.

tstran17_88
27th June 2007, 18:24
I'd agree with what Muggle said.

Also, I believe Tony would be more popular than he is now if he wasn't such a tool, especially taking into consideration all the charitable work away from the track that he does.

blakebeatty
27th June 2007, 19:43
Yeah, I think that Tony and Jeff are the best, followed by Jimmie and Matt Kenseth. All are incredible at driving a loose racecar. I remember either Tony or Matt saying that (because of his off-road truck experience) no one drives a loose car better than Jimmie

oldhippie
27th June 2007, 23:53
jeff gordon is on target to win the cup this year - nuff said

harvick#1
28th June 2007, 03:16
Yeah, I think that Tony and Jeff are the best, followed by Jimmie and Matt Kenseth. All are incredible at driving a loose racecar. I remember either Tony or Matt saying that (because of his off-road truck experience) no one drives a loose car better than Jimmie

I think someone referred that to Robby G.

but Sniffles and Busch are the two best guys who can drive a loose car.

leopard
28th June 2007, 03:48
I think that Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are the 2 best drivers in Nascar. That doesn't mean though that either will win the Championship with the way the Championship is set up with a Chase system. Under the old system I believe that Jeff would be the hands down favorite to win it this year.

Jeff IMO is the better driver between him and Jimmy and also the more popular of the two.
hmm ... Tony Stewart, yeah I was asking the most popular driver and before this I have concluded that Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, the 24/48 have weigher popularity and huge of fan base than the rest.

blakebeatty
28th June 2007, 04:07
I think someone referred that to Robby G.

No no, it was about Jimmie, he came from the SODA off road truck series. He raced arena trucks and what not.

djarumdudley
28th June 2007, 04:08
in both categories, i'll take Gordon and the 24 team over Johnson and the 48.
talentwise Gordon takes it over Johnson, imho. even in subpar years or back in Busch Gordon always seemed to get most from the equipment. i've never gotten that feeling from Johnson, especially when he was in Busch. i always felt Todd Bodine ran much better with the Herzog team after Johnson left.

as far as the team, this year the 24's stepped it up. whether it's the smae shop or the motivation of being continually beaten by the 48 the past few years, something's different. the 24 squad appears at the top of their game this season.

overall driver talent is a whole 'nother ball game that requires a thread of it's own...