PDA

View Full Version : happy birthday ATM

Flat.tyres
25th June 2007, 14:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6230194.stm

this machine was invented 5 years before me and i hope to out live it by much more than that but what an invention!

while we would all be much wealthier if not for the humble ATM (no, really, I have to be getting home. cant possibly stay for another as I havent got any money. Oh, theres an ATM in the bar. thanks very much :( ) it is undoubtably an invention that has affected all our lives.

simple idea. cash, whenever you want it but 40 years ago, the idea must have sounded incredible. Ask oily!

GridGirl
25th June 2007, 19:01
I was unlucky to fall victim of bank fraud last month, with people taking money out of my account from ATM machines in New York. I've never been to New York and the last time I was in America was in 1993. They are a great invention, but its been 40 years since they were invented and its about time someone took the step to improve them.

I did watch a programme recently where a Tesco loyalty card was adapted and was used to take money out of about 3 seperate ATM machines even though it should be impossible to withdraw money from a ATM in the UK without the card having a chip on it. Not that a Tesco points card should let you take money out of any bank account in the first place.

Flat.tyres
26th June 2007, 14:27
GridGirl[/align]]I was unlucky to fall victim of bank fraud last month, with people taking money out of my account from ATM machines in New York. I've never been to New York and the last time I was in America was in 1993. They are a great invention, but its been 40 years since they were invented and its about time someone took the step to improve them.

I did watch a programme recently where a
Tesco
loyalty card was adapted and was used to take money out of about 3
seperate
ATM machines even though it should be impossible to withdraw money from a ATM in the UK without the card having a chip on it. Not that a
Tesco
points card should let you take money out of any bank account in the first place.

your quite right, they could be improved and i think they went straight from a to z without touching b.

The bloke had an idea of a chocolate machine that dispensed money instead of chocolate, right. Well, why not have a machine that dispenses both so you have a little nibble as you contemplate how much youve eaten into your overdraft.

That would improve things a lot. :D

Flat.tyres
26th June 2007, 14:31
now, this really pisses me off. I did a spell check so mark doesn't get all excited and it changed everything. i know this should be in the Q&A section but seeing as its f**ked this post up, perhaps someone cha tell me how to stop it.