PDA

View Full Version : Eskimos' Hundred Words for Snow?!

wrc_flipper
23rd June 2007, 14:10
So Citroen are having another very good year in the WRC. Strange thought came to mind whist I was watching a WRC program that had a item in it about how many languages that are spoken in the teams.

And it made me think…..

If you have a French Driver, French Co-driver, pace notes in French, French Team and French Manufacture. Do things get communicated better then a Norwegian Driver, Welsh Co-driver, English Pace notes, English Team and Japanese Manufacture?

Flip

bennizw
23rd June 2007, 15:18
Absolutely. If you watched the SWRT documentaries, you'd see that head campaign leader in Japan says communication via Japan and Banbury is quite a challenge, concerning language and time zones. I think most of SWRT by now understand Petter well enough (allthough his Norwegian is lowsy), so there will be no encounters to communication. Anywho, I do think Citroën has an advantage here.

jonas_mcrae
23rd June 2007, 15:35
his norwegian is lowsy? hows that? wasnt he born in Norway...

A.F.F.
23rd June 2007, 16:30
If you have a French Driver, French Co-driver, pace notes in French, French Team and French Manufacture.

+ FIA HQ in Paris, France :D

Flyinglex
23rd June 2007, 18:20
But topic name needs answer "20 words" or it's just metaphorical.

wrc_flipper
24th June 2007, 08:55
Sorry for upsetting the 'PC' community with the title :rolleyes: , please revise to "Inuit Hundred Words for Snow?! " ;)

klm-607
24th June 2007, 14:28
his norwegian is lowsy? hows that? wasnt he born in Norway...

Must've meant his English is lousy. It's not so much Petter's English, but his heavy accent that makes him tough to understand at times... especially when he's angry or upset. Loeb's English is awful if you ask me. I hate listening to him in interviews, it all "uhh" or "ahh", blah, blah, blah. That said,
I know for sure that my French is WAY worse than his English, so I can't really gripe can I. LOL!!!

bennizw
24th June 2007, 22:51
Sorry yes, of course English that was lowsy, loong day ;)

bowler
25th June 2007, 06:59
both petter and sebastien speak perfect english

don't judge by interviews

Corny
25th June 2007, 16:35
yeah I think they speak english well enough..

if you see fe. Valentino Rossi, he got 5 world titles with Jerry Burgess, while Valentino does not speak english proper!

FrankenSchwinn
25th June 2007, 18:59
+ FIA HQ in Paris, France :D
but infested and lead by brits ;)

here's what i think about them:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/helikesmyspace/FIAsucks.jpg

bowler
25th June 2007, 20:33
yeah I think they speak english well enough..

if you see fe. Valentino Rossi, he got 5 world titles with Jerry Burgess, while Valentino does not speak english proper!

nothing wrong with Valentino's English either

Tomi
25th June 2007, 20:52
It's good that the guys driving skills anyway is ok thats what they are hired for, I never had any problems to understand what Loeb or Petteri say in interviews.

swordsman
26th June 2007, 13:06
So Citroen are having another very good year in the WRC. Strange thought came to mind whist I was watching a WRC program that had a item in it about how many languages that are spoken in the teams.

And it made me think…..

If you have a French Driver, French Co-driver, pace notes in French, French Team and French Manufacture. Do things get communicated better then a Norwegian Driver, Welsh Co-driver, English Pace notes, English Team and Japanese Manufacture?

Flip

Most important, the same culture in the team is very important. Also, having a french tyre manufacturer means an advantage. It's easier in many ways!

jparker
26th June 2007, 17:06
Most important, the same culture in the team is very important. Also, having a french tyre manufacturer means an advantage. It's easier in many ways!

Agree, but some people don't like it that way, so next year all French domination will be spoiled with italian tyres.

DonJippo
26th June 2007, 20:06
Agree, but some people don't like it that way, so next year all French domination will be spoiled with italian tyres.

They were all on the same line...Pirelli made the best offer and won.

jparker
26th June 2007, 20:44
They were all on the same line...Pirelli made the best offer and won.

Best offer to who?

DonJippo
26th June 2007, 20:55
Best offer to who?

You tell me...to whom it should have been? Michelin?

jparker
27th June 2007, 01:17
You tell me...to whom it should have been? Michelin?
Nice try DonJippo, but its true, I know about FIA's business as much as I know about particle physics and quantum mechanics :D

Corny
27th June 2007, 05:34
nothing wrong with Valentino's English either

He said it himself that it can be difficult at some times, read his book ;)

A.F.F.
28th June 2007, 11:10
He said it himself that it can be difficult at some times, read his book ;)

Is it in english ? :D

FrankenSchwinn
28th June 2007, 17:41
Sorry for upsetting the 'PC' community with the title :rolleyes: , please revise to "Inuit Hundred Words for Snow?! " ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_words_for_snow

it's a similar situation as one of the Native American languages (Sioux if i remember correctly) where there is no word for "red" or other similar things. but there are distinct different suffix for red cloth, blue cloth, etc. which adds up to many many different words for "cloth". of course, i was using cloth as an example here, but it applies to most things. our germanic/latin based languages are very simple compared to theirs.