PDA

View Full Version : Jeff & Jimmie FAIL Pre-Qual Inspection!!

Cindy_AL
22nd June 2007, 20:21
SONOMA, Calif. -- Nextel Cup points leader Jeff Gordon and defending series champion Jimmie Johnson, both of the Hendrick Motorsports stable, have failed inspection at Infineon Raceway.
The cars of neither Gordon, the defending race champion, nor Johnson will be allowed to practice or qualify Friday.
NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said both cars "failed the initial inspection ... as a result of body modifications found to be outside NASCAR tolerances. The front fender [of both cars] was modified outside of NASCAR regulations. They did not meet the C2 template inspection."
According to Poston, Hendrick Motorsports' No. 5 and No. 25 cars, for Kyle Busch and Casey Mears, passed inspections.
Poston added, "both teams have an opportunity to repair and resubmit their cars" for inspection up to the start of practice Saturday. "Assuming they pass inspection, they can practice [Saturday] and start at the rear of the field [Sunday]," he said.
"It's important to know this is a Car of Tomorrow penalty," Poston said of the short-term severity of the sanction. "The inspection process and NASCAR's response to Car of Tomorrow violations are going to be more severe.
"We're going to keep this car in check. It's important to know all cars in the field are starting out equal and have the ability to win the race."
Poston said both teams' crew chiefs, Steve Letarte on the No. 24 and Chad Knaus on the No. 48, would be allowed to supervise the repairs, and at this point, NASCAR had no plans to immediately confiscate the cars.
The decision on further penalties would be made next week, Poston said.

colinspooky
22nd June 2007, 20:27
Phat wings man. Ahem, doesn't sound the same from a Brit........ :rolleyes:

RaceFanStan
22nd June 2007, 20:50
NASCAR has PARKED the 24 & 48 for today, they won't be allowed on the track today ! :eek:
NO practice laps or qualifying for either of them ! :eek:
They will race on Sunday but they will have to start in the back ! :eek:
The front fenders of both cars failed inspection ! :eek:
The teams are struggling to correct the problems & the cars still haven't passed ! :s hock:

dwboogityfan
22nd June 2007, 20:52
When are NASCAR going to start throwing these cheats out of the racetrack for the whole meeting.
This certaintly isn't the first time the #48 has been caught. Considering the ban Tony Eury Jr got Knauss must be banned for at least 8 races for repeat offences.

RaceFanStan
22nd June 2007, 20:56
The rumor is that both drivers & team owner will each get 100 point penaltys ..... :eek:
it is also rumored that both crewchiefs will be suspended for 6 weeks ! :eek:

call_me_andrew
22nd June 2007, 22:29
I don't think they'll announce any penalites until Tuesday. I was wondering what would happen if the teams started to modify the cars outside of the hard points. I guess that wasn't free space.

harvick#1
22nd June 2007, 22:40
suspension for LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

but if its a very serious fraction, the cars/teams shouldn't even be allowed to race

BenRoethig
23rd June 2007, 00:58
suspension for LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

but if its a very serious fraction, the cars/teams shouldn't even be allowed to race

If would have to be traction control to sit out Gordon and Johnson.

pdalbey
23rd June 2007, 02:07
Why doesn't NASCAR just build the cars and distribute them on Tuesday, just in time to paint them on a weekly basis, or provide a kit to the teams for them to build. Any modification is dismissal for the rest of the season. It certainly seems like that is what they are headed towards.

trumperZ06
23rd June 2007, 03:21
Why doesn't NASCAR just build the cars and distribute them on Tuesday, just in time to paint them on a weekly basis, or provide a kit to the teams for them to build. Any modification is dismissal for the rest of the season. It certainly seems like that is what they are headed towards.

;) Hhmmmm.... Close !!! VERY CLOSE !!!

You are allowed engines from different mfg'rs !

Sparky1329
23rd June 2007, 03:56
I'm ticked because I picked Jeffrey for the pole in the pickems. Bah.

blakebeatty
23rd June 2007, 04:15
If would have to be traction control to sit out Gordon and Johnson.

There is no precident to sit them out of the race...

They will however recieve the harshest penalties ever, which is definately enough punishment.

e2mtt
23rd June 2007, 04:48

Might as well. Harsh penalty. NASCAR really wants to make it a spec race, and eliminating the freedom to contour between the hard points is just another step.

BobbyC
23rd June 2007, 04:48
They may have cars confiscated Saturday and have to start backup cars.

dwboogityfan
23rd June 2007, 11:36
I'm fed up NASCAR allowing cheats to start races when 8 legal cars go home. Thats just not right.
Dock them both 200 points, ban the crew chiefs and give them a huge fine. Knauss must be on his last warning.

harvick#1
23rd June 2007, 15:27
Knaus should be kicked out of Nascar, hes done this way too much.

both teams should've been forced to put the cars on the hauler and leave.

and Bobby, I think Nascar was forcing those too cheats to have to fix the primary only and not allow them to fall back on the Backup car, (which would be very funny if that failed too

muggle not
23rd June 2007, 15:34
They should ban Gordon and Johnson from ever driving again in Nascar. they should also probably ban HMS from Cup racing. Nascar should also put Mears and Kyle at the back of the field on principle because their cars probably got through inspection only as an oversight by nascar. :D

RaceFanStan
23rd June 2007, 16:44
ANY racing series that would ban some of their most successful drivers would be commiting economic suicide ! :eek:

Get real guys, it's a competition & the car builders will look for any kind of an advantage. :rolleyes:
To gain an upper hand some teams will explore a "gray area", once it is declared illegal they look elsewhere ... :D

As long as NASCAR makes vague rules the tech savvy teams will exploit them.
NASCAR needs to make things clear BEFORE they start penalizing teams & drivers ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Another thing, the drivers DON'T build the cars, so IMO the driver SHOULDN'T be penalized for a car violation ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
23rd June 2007, 17:15
Stan it won't be economic suicide if they were forced to get back with reality and miss a race.

trust me I had to deal with that in 02 with Harv being suspended for 1 race

RaceFanStan
23rd June 2007, 17:26
harv, I wasn't saying there couldn't be suspensions ... it's the permanet ban that I don't agree with ...
still when it comes to the car, team management bears the responsibilty, NOT the driver.

Penalize the driver for improper driving & penalize the team owner/crewchief for an improper car. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
23rd June 2007, 17:56
I said Knuas should be kicked out of Nascar, not Johnson, (but I wouldn't mind that either)

pdalbey
23rd June 2007, 18:12
If NASCAR can't even go a week without a big guy qualifying and racing on Sunday (i.e. the top-35 rule), does anyone HONESTLY think they are going to permanently ban, or even for the remainder of the season, 2 top guys because there was a fraction of an inch variation from mold that NASCAR distributed? Really now, it's not like they were caught with a turbocharger or nitro fuel system. From what I've read from Knaus (YMMV), he is claiming that it is at least a grey area of the rule book. There seem to be a lot of grey areas but at least he didn't break a very obvious, set-in-stone rule (not this time anyway).

harvick#1
23rd June 2007, 23:59
http://www.thatsracin.com/247/story/5029.html

great article by David Poole on the subject

e2mtt
24th June 2007, 00:44
NASCAR is trying to make one thing clear: when it comes to cars/bodies, NASCAR is now a spec series. You don't change ANYTHING on the body of the "Car of Tommorow"

As for the people who complain profusely about "cheaters", what happened to JG & JJ wasn't cheating. Their cars were measurably out of tolerance/specification, and they were forced to alter their cars to meet the regs, and start from the back. End of story.

As long as there has been motorsports, the builders & mechanics have pushed the rules to the limit. THAT is the tradition of racing, that NASCAR is doing its best to eliminate.

Cheating is what Waltrip did at Daytona, (non-fuel additives injected) or what Harvick & Todd Berrier tried a couple years ago (plugging a hose to make it appear they were qualifying with the required full tank, while really running nearly empty). These deserve penalties... but then if they can get them corrected and meet spec, let them race.

The Poole article is just wrong. I don't like Jeff or Jimmie any more then most of you all, but part of the reason they win is because they push the rules hard. Sometimes too hard, but then they know where the boundry is. Nobody needs to get sent home. The crew chiefs do their job, NASCAR does their job, the drivers do their job, then they start over again next week.

RaceFanStan
24th June 2007, 01:07
I respect the intelligence of the individuals who say a "gray area" & were innovative.
If the cars had passed inspection, a president would have been set,
because they failed, a different president was set & now they know.
The "gray area" turned RED & that particular one won't be tried again.
I am eager to see what "gray area" will be exploited next ..... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

blakebeatty
24th June 2007, 01:31
I said Knuas should be kicked out of Nascar, not Johnson, (but I wouldn't mind that either)

Careful harv... Knaus may be the "most creative" crew chief on pit road, but Tood Berrier is an easy second!

As e2mtt said, this was not a cheating violation. Cheating is a blantant disrespect for the rules. The harvick fuel cell example is likely the most flagrant example of cheating in our day, as well as Mikey's sterno. (and for the sake of impartiality,) what Knaus did at Daytona was cheating, and he deserved the suspension

blakebeatty
24th June 2007, 01:32
NASCAR is trying to make one thing clear: when it comes to cars/bodies, NASCAR is now a spec series. You don't change ANYTHING on the body of the "Car of Tommorow"

As for the people who complain profusely about "cheaters", what happened to JG & JJ wasn't cheating. Their cars were measurably out of tolerance/specification, and they were forced to alter their cars to meet the regs, and start from the back. End of story.

As long as there has been motorsports, the builders & mechanics have pushed the rules to the limit. THAT is the tradition of racing, that NASCAR is doing its best to eliminate.

Cheating is what Waltrip did at Daytona, (non-fuel additives injected) or what Harvick & Todd Berrier tried a couple years ago (plugging a hose to make it appear they were qualifying with the required full tank, while really running nearly empty). These deserve penalties... but then if they can get them corrected and meet spec, let them race.

The Poole article is just wrong. I don't like Jeff or Jimmie any more then most of you all, but part of the reason they win is because they push the rules hard. Sometimes too hard, but then they know where the boundry is. Nobody needs to get sent home. The crew chiefs do their job, NASCAR does their job, the drivers do their job, then they start over again next week.

Exactly correct e2mtt

harvick#1
24th June 2007, 01:38
the thing is E2mtt, they brought the cars and Nascar knew something was fishy, both cars fail, not allowed to Practice or Qualify, yet they still get to race with a failed car, when other teams DIDN'T cheat and still get kicked out for not being fast enough.

yes, teams cheat. but this is Knaus' at least 5th or 6th time already being in trouble with Nascar and he needs to be out of here. Latarte should get a normal suspension.

Nascar does want the series to be more equal and I give them credit for that, the IRL/Champ Car/ NHRA is basically the same thing, they all run basically the same spec car.

harvick#1
24th June 2007, 01:39
Careful harv... Knaus may be the "most creative" crew chief on pit road, but Tood Berrier is an easy second!

As e2mtt said, this was not a cheating violation. Cheating is a blantant disrespect for the rules. The harvick fuel cell example is likely the most flagrant example of cheating in our day, as well as Mikey's sterno. (and for the sake of impartiality,) what Knaus did at Daytona was cheating, and he deserved the suspension

I wish Shane Wilson would become the crew chief instead, he really seems to be a better CC for Harvick than Berrier.

and Berrier has done alot of stupid things also

e2mtt
24th June 2007, 01:42
I respect the intelligence of the individuals who say a "gray area" & were innovative.
If the cars had passed inspection, a president would have been set,
because they failed, a different president was set & now they know.
The "gray area" turned RED & that particular one won't be tried again.
I am eager to see what "gray area" will be exploited next ..... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

Exactly!!!

(Thanks for the nice agreements guys.)

BTW I love road racing weekend in NASCAR!

(PS the word you are looking for is precedent, not president)

e2mtt
24th June 2007, 01:45
Exactly!!! :-)

(Thanks for the nice agreements guys.)

BTW I love road racing weekend in NASCAR!

(grammer nazi alert::::: the word you were looking for is precedent, not president)

harvick#1
24th June 2007, 01:48
I love Road Racing weekend until Nascar starts screwing up the caution flag system

muggle not
24th June 2007, 15:18
ANY racing series that would ban some of their most successful drivers would be commiting economic suicide ! :eek:

Get real guys, it's a competition & the car builders will look for any kind of an advantage. :rolleyes:
To gain an upper hand some teams will explore a "gray area", once it is declared illegal they look elsewhere ... :D

As long as NASCAR makes vague rules the tech savvy teams will exploit them.
NASCAR needs to make things clear BEFORE they start penalizing teams & drivers !

Another thing, the drivers DON'T build the cars, so IMO the driver SHOULDN'T be penalized for a car violation !
Hook, line, and sinker. :D
You forget that i am a fan of Jeff Gordon. :)

Lee Roy
24th June 2007, 16:01
Nascar does want the series to be more equal and I give them credit for that, the IRL/Champ Car/ NHRA is basically the same thing, they all run basically the same spec car.

The difference is, in NASCAR you still get to build your own car, thus try to build a better mouse trap . . . within the rules.

The IRL and Champ Car get their cars in a box marked "Some Assembly Required/Batteries Not Included". And in those series, the "engine room" is where you store the crate the engine came in.

tstran17_88
24th June 2007, 18:45
Knaus should be kicked out of Nascar, hes done this way too much.Yeah! What's with these guys from Illinois? :cheese:

tstran17_88
24th June 2007, 18:49
They should ban Gordon and Johnson from ever driving again in Nascar. they should also probably ban HMS from Cup racing. Nascar should also put Mears and Kyle at the back of the field on principle because their cars probably got through inspection only as an oversight by nascar. :D As long as they include Joonyer in this equation since he is teammate-to-be. :D